• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARK: Survival Evolved on Nintendo Switch, Coming November 30, 2018.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

ARK: Survival Evolved is launching worldwide for Nintendo Switch™ on November 30th! Get ready to tame dinosaurs, conquer enemies and create enormous structures anywhere - on the couch, in bed, on a bus or even at school. Stranded on a mysterious prehistoric island, you must explore its vast biomes as you begin to hunt, harvest, craft tools, grow crops and build shelters to survive. Use cunning and skill to kill, tame, breed, and even ride Dinosaurs and other primitive beasts living on The ARK. Advance your technology from primitive stone tools to T-Rex-mounted laser cannons, as you team up with hundreds of players online or enjoy a solo Jurassic experience.

I have no goddamn idea how they got the game running on the Switch at an acceptable level of performance or fit the data on a cartridge. I can't install the game without using 115-130GB of storage and run the game at an acceptable level at 720p without at least $400 in hardware.

cryptoadam

Banned
I say good on the developers for taking up the challenge of trying to get this game to run on the Switch. It will probably be the best that anyone could of expected but this game runs horrible on pretty much every system. Maybe they bet someone they could get this game to run on a switch LOL.

Mahadev

I have played the game on PC and I had an unfortunate friend that bought it on PS4, I couldn't stop laughing at how absolutely terrible it was on it. If it run like that on PS4 imagine how it'll play on Switch. Imagine the disaster it'll be, this will be hilarious.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This game looks and runs like shit on the xbox one X ps4pro heck even a high end gaming pc.

How ? 😂😂 def will get the game

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member
This will be painful. I have a *relatively* decent i7-7700 @3.60, 16 gig memory, 64 bit operating system, Windows 10 and Nvidia 1070GTX and the
game runs like complete crap.

I'm pretty sure even Panic Button(who for those that don't know did the amazing Switch ports of Doom and Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus) wouldn't
be able to port this.

I mean, if the PC versions suffer with performance on higher end computers, how does anyone think the performance will be on the Switch? No knock on the
Switch, just the reality.

Besides, the Ark developers are scumbags IMO. I was a fool and bought the EA of it when it first released. These are the folks who decided to release paid DLC add-ons for Ark when the main game wasn't even finished in Early Access. Screw them.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I think little people know that ARK is also on IOS/Android.

Ark on Switch however is far less of an technical downgrade than War Drum's effort. Impressively, they managed the game to look like a PS360 title and still look decidely ARK.

Ark on Switch targets a far higher spec device as its essentially downporting the complete technical feature set of the PC/PS4/XBO versions rather than creating a bespoke mobile version. Given ARK's tendency to run rather bad on most platforms, it might have been better to use War Drum's port as a base than the work of Studio Wildcard.

Some more background info regarding the Switch version:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...ey-got-ark-survival-evolved-working-on-switch
https://miketendo64.com/2018/08/20/...vs-talk-about-how-port-to-switch-is-possible/

thelastword

Banned
Ark on a Switch? Man, I don't even want to imagine.....Not with these devs surely....This runs like complete r-ass-ta-man on every platform so far, glitch city as well....

Mr Hyde

Waow, that was some sick graphics in the beginning of the trailer. Looked fucking real! And they say the Switch is weak.

Stuart360

Man this is something i'd like to see, i had to lock to 30fps on my 980ti lol (well i didnt have to, i just hate flucturating framerates so i locked to 30fps).

Redneckerz

Ark on a Switch? Man, I don't even want to imagine.....Not with these devs surely....This runs like complete r-ass-ta-man on every platform so far, glitch city as well....
If you had an interest in the game, you would know that Studio Wildcard isn't porting this game over, but Dutch-based Abstraction Games is.

I bet it will run on the Huawei Mate 20 X.
The port by War Drum Studios will actually, provided your device has 3 GB ram. Its a mobile port obviously, but it is visually impressive nonetheless.

Fully expecting this game to look like turok on n64
With that logic the iOS/Android versions should look terrible. Yet they look among the top dogs on mobile platforms and essentially provide a what if scenario on how a hypothetical PS360 version would look.

woigemok

Banned
I feel this game is going to run like a crap on Nintendo Switch with shitty graphics optimization going on.

Moses85

It will be the best Version running @4K and 120FPS. The Developer was looking for the chance to show the world that they are technical wizzards 🤣

Redneckerz

It will be the best Version running @4K and 120FPS. The Developer was looking for the chance to show the world that they are technical wizzards 🤣
Even for satire this is just a poor post. Come on, what are your thoughts about this port? I am far more interested in reading that than low-level console wars posting.

The true test if this game will be with players making large bases. Reviewers don't really put much effort and they just show simple gameplay.

PS4 runs perfect in the wild but if you are in your base with 500 dinos and 100 turrets per 30 foundations then it gets really bad.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I like the drop to 2fps when he hit the rock...

Yagami_Sama

Data streaming should be something very hard to handle on Switch. The 2 fps drop. Reminded me of the N64 times, playing Perfect Dark. And the game running on Swith also reminded me of another game that I played a lot on N64, Turok.

Are they scrapping the split screen co-op for this? Just curious.

I have to give them props for doing this on PS4/Xbox though, though it has a range you and your co-op partner can be from one another, it's still a pretty cool feat to do. Plus there's so few on screen/split screen co-op games these days.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This game is a mess on consoles, probably on PC too. I can't imagine who would want to even try this on a Switch.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

This game is a fucking garbage.

Why for each step that take the player, why does a plant have to appear or a fucking new Rock?

Look in the video 1:50, its disgusting and ruin the experience this kind of bad optimization

I would not complain about stability or FPS, but the crap is unplayable ... Looks like 3 fps in each moment.

This is gonna be off topic, but I'm a new user and I can't create topics to ask this question.

It is related to Switch and backing games up.
I have several games that I've purchased digitally. I have a 120gb card. I'm downloading Mark of the Ninja now and that's gonna put me under 10gb... I'm gonna run out soon and I don't want to buy another card if I don't have to.

Question is: If I pull out the SD from the Switch, and insert it into my computer. Can I find the games on the card thorugh the computer, transfer them from the card to my computer, and then delete them from the card? And then later on down the line if I want to play said games, would they work if I simply transfer them back or would I need to actually re-download the whole game?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Just again reminding people this dev released dlc when their game was in early access.

They do not deserve any money at all.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Just again reminding people this dev released dlc when their game was in early access.

They do not deserve any money at all.

Agreed. This company Studio Wildcard are scumbags. So instead of you know, completing the main game and getting it out of Early Access, they decided they'd make and release paid DLC for the game because A) greed B) reasons and C) not giving a fuck about customers.

So instead of supporting this scumbag company, I ask that you instead spend $2 dollars. Yes, just $2 bucks and support a very humble, lone developer who released his game on Steam and it's freaking amazing.

Check out Grim Nights. The best 2 damn dollars you will spend on anything. I'm serious when I say I'd have been happy paying $15-$20 for it!

Grim Nights! A side scrolling, pixel art, survival strategy indie-game

Ark can piss off!

Redneckerz

Seems like both War Drum Studios and Abstraction Games had different ideas when converting the game to Mobile and Switch:

War Drum: (Mobile):
  • Downgraded assets
  • Removed PBR material pipeline
  • Reduced shaders minus bloom
Result is a version of ARK that looks very much PS360 in nature.

Abstraction Games:
  • Downgraded assets
  • Kept the PBR material pipeline
  • Kept shaders but lower res
  • Lower res shadows (Even lower than Mobile)
  • Overall lower resolution
Result is a version of ARK looking more like its PS4/XBO brethrens, but very soft to downright blurry.

The irony is that i find the Mobile version actually better looking, because it does not attempt to implement a PBR material system on a scale that would be too much to handle for bandwidth limited machinery like mobiles. The fact that they went with it with the Switch is not a good step, although shader complexity is higher due to the desktop-like feature set of Tegra GPU.

Redneckerz

DP, but Abstraction Games delivered a blogpost some time ago detailing the port process.

TheIslandLODs.png

How We Ported ARK: Survival Evolved
So we were asked to do a port of ARK: Survival Evolved. ARK: Survival Evolved, as you might know, is a high-end title that requires a fairly good PC to run well.
This already sounds like an interesting and challenging project, right? Here are a few additional things to spice it up:
  • Ark runs on a custom version of Unreal Engine 4.5 with a lot of core changes/tweaks and additions.
  • It needed to be ported to the Switch platform, which is effectively a handheld device.
  • Needs to be based on the same content/codebase as the original.
  • The target date for the Gold Master Candidate gave us around ~6 months development time.
Ok, that is starting to sound pretty tricky... Below we will identify several of the bigger challenges we had during the project and how we approached them.
The major problems we identified when assessing this adaptation were:
  • CPU Performance: The Switch uses a mobile ARM CPU with 4 cores (only 3 usable cores). Other console platforms have more than twice that number of cores, and easily twice the raw power per core.
  • Switch support: Unreal Engine 4.5 is several years old (from 2014), it doesn't have /any/ Switch support.
  • Graphics: Our goal was to keep the entire deferred rendering pipeline of the original game. The Switch GPU can be compared with a downclocked Nvidia Shield.
  • Memory: The Switch has 4GB of memory. But due to the Switch's OS and other overhead we're effectively limited to 3GB. Which is nearly half of what is available on other consoles.
  • Package Size: The original game is around 27gb on PS4 (and that is with PS4 supporting native package compression..). On Switch we where limited to a 16gb cartridge.
Steps we took to address all of these issues as best as we could in the available time:
Get it running
So the first question a lot of people ask is obviously "why don't you just upgrade to Unreal Engine 4.20?".
There are many reasons to not take this approach, the most important ones being:
  • Asset compatibility. UE4 serialization is only backwards compatible for a few versions. Additionally, Ark uses a custom Engine version and isn't even completely compatible with a clean UE4.5.
  • DLC / Patches. How are we ever going to integrate changes from the main game if there is such a huge difference in source code/assets.
  • Gameplay consistency. Later UE4 versions behave differently, also a lot of custom changes where made all through the UE4 networking and gameplay systems. Bringing all of these changes back to 4.20 would be a huge and extremely risky undertaking.
What we did do was integrate (relevant) parts of the 4.19/4.20 changes in a staged fashion to get the game running on the switch platform.
The main issue with doing these integrations where of course engine system refactoring and a full header restructuring Epic did several versions back to improve compile times making basically any code file we integrated a completely manual operation.

Colourful-1.jpg

Stream all the things
Ark preloads a lot of data since most of the Dinosaurs can walk around and items can be used at any time.
The main approach we took to address the memory limitations of the title was to implement dynamic streaming on a much broader scale. Some data is already streamed such as higher quality dinosaurs, items and parts of the level.
But we needed to take this a few steps further. Making nearly all of the textures stream in was a huge memory gain. We also improved the Mesh streaming to allow nearly any mesh in the game to stream in a restrictive memory pool.
Texture compression
A lot of textures were already compressed with formats such as DXT. We replaced most of the texture compression with the more efficient, and more importantly hardware supported ASTC format which also reduces texture memory requirements.
Mesh optimization
Other Ark console versions already apply some mesh triangle reduction, but for Switch, we needed a more rigorous approach. Just increasing the pre-existing triangle reduction settings wouldn't get us there since triangle reduction is not very good at keeping the original form/details intact.

TheIslandLODs.png

We introduced a second pass of mesh reduction using a max deviation approach. This allowed us to further reduce any sub-optimal meshes as much as possible without deviating from the original visual quality (over a certain factor).
Gameplay performance
Much of CPU budget went to updating all the Dinosaurs gameplay behaviour and animations. To address this we worked on amortizing all of this using two major approaches:
  • Animation update rate optimizations from the more Recent UE4. What this does is spread out animation updates over multiple frames and interpolates for the rest of the frames. Objects that are further away get lower effective tick rates.
  • A new gameplay update rate optimization system. This is essentially very similar to the animation update rate optimizations but then applied to the gameplay behaviour/simulation of NPCs.
Temporal Aliasing / Upscaling
A great feature which we integrated from recent versions of Unreal Engine allowing for both antialiasing and upscaling. It works great for increasing sharpness and quality of the lower resolution which we're sometimes forced to render at to stick to 30fps.
This feature did cause a lot of headaches though. A lot of the existing materials (mostly postprocessing) were not compatible with this technique and had to be manually fixed.
Dynamic resolution and view distance
Ark already has an existing dynamic resolution system in place which we replaced with a much smoother scaling system. Stepping up/down the resolution is normally very noticeable but Temporal Aliasing / Upscaling allows for this quite nicely.
This new system also scales the view distances to reduce the overhead in GPU heavy locations (especially forest areas, where you can't see very far anyway)
We had to make some cuts
  • Only ship with The Island map to reduce final package size to something manageable
  • Remove console hosted dedicated server support (which is an extremely CPU and Memory heavy feature)
End result
We managed to make the Gold Master deadline! It was a very close call though. Quite an achievement even though we had to make a lot of concessions to get there.
I think with more time, perhaps doing some content changes on lower LOD levels to improve their looks (you can only do so much with automated mesh reduction) this could've been even closer to the original Ark.

Top Bottom