• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARK: Survival Evolved XO-PS4 crossplay working internally; Sony won't allow it

That topic ony bring hostility and bad faith from both sides.

What I find crazy about some of the active pro console crossplay is how they try to depict the situation as being "an issue" when everyone knows it never was and never will be. We used to play online for 18 years without console crossplay, just because Sony dont want to open the valves doesn't make it "an issue" all of a sudden. Instead of acting like Sony is taking away your human rights, just admit you're to happy to jump in every time you can to depict Sony as the bad guy with your unconstructive and provocative "#4ThePlayers" posts. What's even more absurd is how all the games discussed around console crossplay (Minecraft, Rocket League, Ark) are only juggernauts with a huge fanbase on every system.

Yeah, and we used to also not play online. We also used to play with 2D graphics, with a dpad and two buttons. Sony isn't taking human rights, just slowing down the media with that dumb move. MANY games would strive more thanks to crossplay, especially niche ones. Heck, online gaming would be even more fun if people could all play together, regardless of their platform. I just like to imagine there could be platform agnostic tournaments on gaf for exemple.

But I guess it's better to just call people concerned trolls and defend the poor big company swimming in cash.

Sony is so dumb about this. Why not take it as an opportunity and suggest that Xbox players be required to make a PSN account for other proposed cross play games kinda like how minecraft will require a MS account.

They could add to their psn numbers if MS agrees and if MS rejects then they could PR it like MS refused and the ball is in their court.

Yeah, and we used to also not play online. We also used to play with 2D graphics, with a dpad and two buttons. Sony isn't taking human rights, just slowing down the media with that dumb move. MANY games would strive more thanks to crossplay, especially niche ones. Heck, online gaming would be even more fun if people could all play together, regardless of their platform. I just like to imagine there could be platform agnostic tournaments on gaf for exemple.

But I guess it's better to just call people concerned trolls and defend the poor big company swimming in cash.

Sony isn't stopping third party devs from allowing cross-play between other platforms.

Can we at least wait until there's a small but notable selection of cross-play titles before calling this an issue?

No, DQX will have crossplay.

Well that's odd, but also kind of great.

Ploid 3.0

Patchnotes said it was removed due to Microsoft Policy.

Edit: They updated the post and removed the line, but it originally stated:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=245644508&postcount=2414

I was thinking about getting this, but the early stuff doesn't seem worth it for the $50 price. Looking forward to it launching, especially if it has PC + PS4 cross play. I won't be surprised if it does. I enjoy Paragon daily which has crossplay as well as weekly patches on PS4. Epic seems to be good buddies with Sony. Those PS4 users most likely make it easier for me to find matches quick on PC. I have a PS4 but don't want to buy PS+ just to play online, and I have no interest in the monthly games or deals, I have enough games on my backlog.

PC+PS4 best buds.

Hektor

What I find crazy about some of the active pro console crossplay is how they try to depict the situation as being "an issue" when everyone knows it never was and never will be. We used to play online for 18 years without console crossplay, just because Sony dont want to open the valves doesn't make it "an issue" all of a sudden. Instead of acting like Sony is taking away your human rights, just admit you're to happy to jump in every time you can to depict Sony as the bad guy with your unconstructive and provocative "#4ThePlayers" posts. What's even more absurd is how all the games discussed around console crossplay (Minecraft, Rocket League, Ark) are only juggernauts with a huge fanbase on every system.

As for Sony supporters, it would be better to just say nothing at this point, especially since you don't even know the deep reasons behind Sony's stance (the children thing being obviously a random drunk PR). Fun fact : just don't post anything and the thread would not even reach page 3, because 1) the matter is deliberately overblown and 2) there is in fact nothing to discuss anymore until Sony gives some kind of explanation when being questioned about it (whenever you're ready, journalists).

The PSX didn't had any online gaming at all, maybe Sony shouldn't have bothered implementing online play at all since that was never seen as an issue back then

MattAces

Sony is so dumb about this. Why not take it as an opportunity and suggest that Xbox players make a PSN account for other proposed cross play games kinda like how minecraft will require a MS account.

They could add to their psn numbers of MS agrees and if MS rejects then they could PR it like MS refused and the ball is in their court.

There's a lot of stuff going on in the background that we don't know. Maybe Sony did propose this method and Microsoft denied it or something else. I'm not trying to spin the story, but what I'm saying is there's a lot of stuff that didn't make it to the news and public, those that are clearly working for them now.

From a PR standpoint, if the current negative news of Sony blocking crossplay didn't affect their sales, I don't see why they would spend time to promote they allowed crossplay when they can use the resources to directly promote their brand. *in the way that is clearly working for them now

Consumer and developers making noise is a good thing though, since Sony doesn't want to give a clear statement. But then again, you can probably understand why they didn't.

SiteSeer

business is war. sony is winning this gen. why give ammunition to your enemy? nevermind the shade ms threw at sony last gen ...

MUnited83

For you.

As for Sony supporters, it would be better to just say nothing at this point, especially since you don't even know the deep reasons behind Sony's stance (the children thing being obviously a random drunk PR). Fun fact : just don't post anything and the thread would not even reach page 3, because 1) the matter is deliberately overblown and 2) there is in fact nothing to discuss anymore until Sony gives some kind of explanation when being questioned about it (whenever you're ready, journalists).

We've played 2D games for longer than that. Sony should stop making 3D games. Who needs that anyways?

Ascenion

Sony isn't stopping the devs from cross-play between other platforms.

Can we at least wait until there's is small but notable selection of cross-play titles before calling this an issue?

I'd prefer to resolve it before it becomes an issue. I don't wanna be on PS5 wondering why all my friends are playing Blockbuster 3®: The game based on the failed sequel to the first successful title, on Xbox 4, Nintendo whatever and PC while I'm stuck playing alone on my PS5. There are other ways to make your system more appealing than player base, which isn't guaranteed generation to generation.

I'd prefer to resolve it before it becomes an issue. I don't wanna be on PS5 wondering why all my friends are playing Blockbuster 3®: The game based on the failed sequel to the first successful title, on Xbox 4, Nintendo whatever and PC while I'm stuck playing alone on my PS5. There are other ways to make your system more appealing than player base, which isn't guaranteed generation to generation.

If it truly becomes an issue then I'm sure Sony will do something about multiplatform cross-play.

Sony isn't stopping third party devs from allowing cross-play between other platforms.

Can we at least wait until there's a small but notable selection of cross-play titles before calling this an issue?

They aren't, but devs wont bother do it for multiple reason:
1) To not sabotage their own product. Tekken 7 didn't had any cross play because they didn't want one version to sound inferior.
2) Cost related: Smaller devs may not have the right tools. Said tools could be more widespread if crossplay was supported among all platforms.

This is an issue already. You have devs of huge games calling the culprit out already. And the cross-play selection will remain small with that attitude.

Ploid 3.0

In Gaf? Yea. In general? Don't think it's hurting them too much.

But honestly speaking, what is the benefit/downside for Sony to allow cross play?
I'm asking because I want to know.

If more games have cross play with PC + PS4, I'll have absolutely no reason to subscribe to PS+. I love it as it is, and wish more games would do it. I'm thankful Sony doesn't consider PC a competitor like it does with MS. If it was console wide people would feel the same I'm sure. Pick one console to play online and be done with it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The only way it will change is if Jonny casual goes to play his favorite online PS4 titles and can't find a game. That's the only way to make it an issue to the mass audiences, no matter how much message board and twitter complaining made by enthusiasts.

MS completely reversed their decision on DD only system, by the negative feedback from the press, gamers, etc before they even launched. This was done primarily from gaming sites and message boards and social media.

Bad word of mouth is going to lead people like Johnny to find out he can play with his friends on other systems, make the PS4 look like a worse proposition, and the more shit Sony takes from this. The more bad press will filter down to affect their sales.

So no. Complaining about it is just the first step to getting change.

business is war. sony is winning this gen. why give ammunition to your enemy? nevermind the shade ms threw at sony last gen ...

Competition isn't always about your competitor. It's also about maintaining and growing your own userbase. It's not ammunation to their competitor, but good will toward their users.

Salvadora

"Many sides."

Vena

No, DQX will have crossplay.

They denied it with Rocket League. Only reason it's allowed in DQX is because its to Sony's benefit to not have a dead DQX launch. They're not even on track to sell 50k copies of it, who would those people play with?

Sony only allows it when it is to their benefit in a market they are competitively struggling within.

They denied it with Rocket League. Only reason it's allowed in DQX is because its to Sony's benefit to not have a dead DQX launch. They're not even on track to sell 50k copies of it, who would those people play with?

Sony only allows it when it is to their benefit in a market they are competitively struggling within.

Heck, they also allow it because DQX on PS4 is late to the party.

mejin

1) To not sabotage their own product. Tekken 7 didn't had any cross play because they didn't want one version to sound inferior.
2) Cost related: Smaller devs may not have the right tools. Said tools could be more widespread if crossplay was supported among all platforms.

This is an issue already. You have devs of huge games calling the culprit out already. And the cross-play selection will remain small with that attitude.

This is not an issue to Sony. At least, not yet.

CookTrain

They denied it on Rocket League because the Psyonix put Switch in the Xbox/PC pond instead of the PS4/PC one. They don't want anything touching Xbox Live by all appearances.

Fisty

At the rate we're going, it's more likely to be Sony, Nintendo, and Steam crossplay

Kolx

MS completely reversed their decision on DD only system, by the negative feedback from the press, gamers, etc before they even launched. This was done primarily from gaming sites and message boards and social media.

Bad word of mouth is going to lead people like Johnny to find out he can play with his friends on other systems, make the PS4 look like a worse proposition, and the more shit Sony takes from this. The more bad press will filter down to affect their sales.

How? You can play with pc with ps4 so it's not really any different, and there is no way this is coming anywhere near the DD only system controversy because simply most people either won't know about it or don't care.

It is cross play with PC, Wii U and Switch. But, as Vena said, it's an exception because they're the ones in the weaker position here.

There only two games we have now. Rocket league could've been simply because it's part of the network with Xbox and Sony doesn't want that, the same with better together update.

This shit pisses me off and has absolutely no benefit for consumers. Fuck off Sony.

Anyone taking Sony's side on this for business reasons are fools. As a consumer your interests are all that should matter.

Kolx

I don't see how it's an excuse.
This's about Sony allowing cross-play with the switch, who said anything about an excuse? the only example we have now of a game not involving an xbox one version is DQ X and Sony allowed that. Jumping to conclusion when the only clear example is saying the opposite?!

That was definitely not done by the message board complaints, and more about the market reaction when it was actually available for pre-order.

1. Namco's reason for not allowing CP is mind-boggling. Psyonix certainty did not have an issue with allowing multiplatform cross-play.

2. What is this assumption based on?

You do know there's cross-play between PC & PS4?

Look, if this becomes an unavoidable issue than Sony must act accordingly but until then let's not dwell over a handful of titles.

Nintendo Switch as well, right?

What about the NS?

george_us

The more likely scenario here is Johnny and his friends decide they'll all buy PS4s.

Raide

As sad as it is, developers should just stop working stuff for crossplay between anything and PS4. SONY just don't see the need and developers should no waste their time. Just focus around PC, Switch and XB.

As sad as it is, developers should just stop working stuff for crossplay between anything and PS4. SONY just don't see the need and developers should no waste their time. Just focus around PC, Switch and XB.

Why? Sony seems to be fine with CP between PS4 & PC?

Top Bottom