• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARK: Survival Evolved XO-PS4 crossplay working internally; Sony won't allow it

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
As sad as it is, developers should just stop working stuff for crossplay between anything and PS4. SONY just don't see the need and developers should no waste their time. Just focus around PC, Switch and XB.

There shouldn't be PS4/PC crossplay because they don't want to play ball with Microsoft? Get real.

As sad as it is, developers should just stop working stuff for crossplay between anything and PS4. SONY just don't see the need and developers should no waste their time. Just focus around PC, Switch and XB.
I agree and that will force change. Sony wants devs to have multiple crossplay servers instead of one unified plan

That topic ony bring hostility and bad faith from both sides.

*immediately followed by an argument made in bad faith*

A waste of time and resources, they knew that shit when they started. Just a dumb dev, looking for attention.

Yep. They did this so that they could get some random guy to ask them about it on Twitter so they could get their 15 minutes of fame.

Oh boy the spin is getting even dumber

Crossplay should be something for all. SONY being petty is just SONY being petty.

Well we don't get to decide that, unfortunately. But what you said on the previous page was wrong.

It's not just playing ball with MS, it's playing ball with gamers that want a good sized community to play with.

Name me a single notable cross-play title with a small community on PS4?

Jesus fucking christ, there was talk since the beggining that ARK would have crossplay, at least between PS4 and PC.

I was waiting for months for that to happen...

Malcolm9

Sony are fine with it as long as it doesn't involve Xbox, calm down dear.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It's not just playing ball with MS, it's playing ball with gamers that want a good sized community to play with.

You we're just saying developers should take the largest community away from gamers, because Sony's snubbing Microsoft.

LordKano

How are you affected by this issue? Genuine question.

When I'll buy Rocket League on my Switch I'll be able to play with my friends on PC and Xbox One at the same time but I'll have to leave alone my other friend who's playing on PS4. There, I'm affected by this issue. Sony is trying to break my friendship.

Kolx

Well we don't get to decide that, unfortunately. But what you said on the previous page was wrong.

Name me a single notable cross-play title with a small community on PS4?
Well, there's the not so notable community that could benefit from this, and huge games are eventually going to dry out and cross-play could help with that. Is Sony the least one to get benefit from this? yeah sure which is exactly why MS is pushing it, but even PS players are going to get some benefit even if it's small.

Kolx

When I'll buy Rocket League on my Switch I'll be able to play with my friends on PC and Xbox One at the same time but I'll have to leave alone my other friend who's playing on PS4. There, I'm affected by this issue. Sony is trying to break my friendship.

But your ps4 friend can play with your pc friend... switch isn't going to be in the picture except in a very handful numberof games (and even then it may have cp) so almost always it's going to be the better on ps4 since it has the bigger community combined with pc.

Well, there's the not so notable community that could benefit from this, and huge games are eventually going to dry out and cross-play could help with that. Is Sony the least one to get benefit from this? yeah sure which is exactly why MS is pushing it, but even PS players are going to get some benefit even if it's small.

There's just so much assumption in this thread.

Sony wants you to buy a PS4 to play with your friends. They're not breaking up your friendship, they don't owe Nintendo/Microsoft consumers anything 😉

It's not a "grudge", it's a business decision.

A bad business decision. You don't make a good move by locking things up, but by offering more.

What assumption ? Can we please stop acting like "we don't know the details" ?
It was true a year ago. Not anymore. We know it's not because of infrastructure. We know it's not because of Xbox Live. Heck, Fortnite was cross play PS4/XB1/PC until it was fixed because of a mistake it seems. Rocket League devs claims they can make it happen in a matter of hours with a simple Switch. Every devs are saying "Sony don't want". Sony claims they don't want. We're past the point of "things we don't know". We know enough: One manufacturer plays dumb.

Kudo

A bad business decision. You don't make a good move by locking things up, but by offering more.

So they would benefit from letting Xbox-only people play with PS4 player base? I'm fairly sure they want those Xbox-only people to buy PS4 instead and pay for PS+, not Xbox Gold.

Crayon

This was probably more of a Namco decision. Sony has never seemed to have problems with OC just other consoles.

I guess I was a little eager to air that particular grievance. Sony or Namco: whoever fucked that up, please unfuck it.

In fact- all fighting games. Crossplay please. Especially console to pc because that seems to me easier to swallow for the platform holder.

So they would benefit from letting Xbox-only people play with PS4 player base? I'm fairly sure they want those Xbox-only people to buy PS4 instead and pay for PS+, not Xbox Gold.

No, they would benefit from letting PS4 users play with other users. Like you know, making smaller games having bigger communities ?
They want PS4 users to have more value on their PS4.

But it's crazy that we're still having the conversation about "how does Sony benefit that" and not "how does users benefit that". That's a pretty interesting view some people have here.

But if you want a concrete exemple of how Sony's dropping the ball here: PS4 version of Minecraft wont be getting the latest update with tons of features. Which makes it a legacy version

What assumption ? Can we please stop acting like "we don't know the details" ?
It was true a year ago. Not anymore. We know it's not because of infrastructure. We know it's not because of Xbox Live. Heck, Fortnite was cross play PS4/XB1/PC until it was fixed because of a mistake it seems. Rocket League devs claims they can make it happen in a matter of hours with a simple Switch. Every devs are saying "Sony don't want". Sony claims they don't want. We're past the point of "things we don't know". We know enough: One manufacturer plays dumb.

Unless you know something that I don't, almost all of us are going by pure speculation. Devs haven't told us why Sony won't allow it, Sony hasn't told us why they won't allow it.

Even what I've stated a fews posts above your is an assumption.

Making your system less appealing is a terrible business decision.

Who is less appealing to? I wonder how many even care about CP.

MS completely reversed their decision on DD only system, by the negative feedback from the press, gamers, etc before they even launched. This was done primarily from gaming sites and message boards and social media.

Bad word of mouth is going to lead people like Johnny to find out he can play with his friends on other systems, make the PS4 look like a worse proposition, and the more shit Sony takes from this. The more bad press will filter down to affect their sales.

So no. Complaining about it is just the first step to getting change.

Wrong. The Xbox DRM thing was easy to convey to more casual audiences. "You won't be able to buy/sell/borrow used games anymore" is something that the consequences of don't even need to be explained. The guy who lets his friend borrow games is affected. The parent who buys used games for their kids at Gamestop because they are cheaper is affected. This is not that kind of issue. "You know those online games of Rocket League that you already don't have trouble getting into? Well imagine if you could get into even more of them!" Like how do you get the mass casual audience to give a shit? It's extremely difficult, and probably why this issue hasn't really gained any traction in the last few months outside of message boards.

So, so many Sony spokepersons here...

"It is just a business decision."

Yeah, so what? It actively hurts players. It is segregation. You guys think that it is ok to prevent people from playing with their mates if the technology is there?

Crossplay should be a basic feature in this day and age, on every platform where it is viable, per games basis. It should be up to devs if they want crossplay and with whom.

Unless you know something that I don't, almost all of us are going by pure speculation. Devs haven't told us why Sony won't allow it, Sony hasn't told us why they won't allow it.

Actually, Sony told us they won't allow it 'to protect the children'. That's when many of you started to substitute 'reasons' that sounded more convenient. Because that's easier than defending Sony's only actual (asinine) statement on the subject.

The rest of us aren't going off of 'pure speculation'. We're basing our arguments over details which were just mentioned to you in the post which you just responded to. Several developers have stated that it's easy to make happen, it's feasible, it's something they take care of on their end, and that Sony is the hold-up. That shit's not irrelevant just because of your or anyone else's hand-wringing over the particulars of a made up 'deal' between Microsoft and Sony, or whatever other pertinent details you imagine they're keeping from us that would explain all of this in Sony's favor.

Shit you'd think that Sony would have simply said by now, as opposed to the children excuse, if they viewed their particular hangup as something their userbase would empathize with.

Floody

If Minecraft didn't change their mind, ARK won't. Hopefully the Rockstar pushing for it rumour is true, outside of them, I don't see Sony thinking twice before saying no.

Eh yes, Sony told us why they wont allow it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1391006&page=1

So no, it's not speculation. Devs are telling us Sony don't want. Sony told us why they don't want (bullshit excuse). Case closed. No speculation, only facts.

Wrong. The Xbox DRM thing was easy to convey to more casual audiences. "You won't be able to buy/sell/borrow used games anymore" is something that the consequences of don't even need to be explained. The guy who lets his friend borrow games is affected. The parent who buys used games for their kids at Gamestop because they are cheaper is affected. This is not that kind of issue. "You know those online games of Rocket League that you already don't have trouble getting into? Well imagine if you could get into even more of them!" Like how do you get the mass casual audience to give a shit? It's extremely difficult, and probably why this issue hasn't really gained any traction in the last few months outside of message boards.

Eh, you make it complicated for no reason. It's easy to explain "See this Call of Duty/Battlefield/FIFA/Madden/Destiny/Rocket League game ? Now you can play it with every of your friends, on Xbox or PlayStation or Switch or PC."

Kolx

I agree and that will force change. Sony wants devs to have multiple crossplay servers instead of one unified plan

There are only two choices. Either PS4\PC or XOne\PC. "IF" developers want to have one unified plan, why would they pick xone over the bigger install base ps4?

So no, it's not speculation. Devs are telling us Sony don't want. Sony told us why they don't want (bullshit excuse). Case closed. No speculation, only facts.

Eh, you make it complicated for no reason. It's easy to explain "See this Call of Duty/Battlefield/FIFA/Madden/Destiny/Rocket League game ? Now you can play it with every of your friends, on Xbox or PlayStation or Switch or PC."

"Oh so I can join parties with my friends and voice chat and everything?"

"Well not really..."

The difference is in expectations. The drm thing blew up because ms was taking away something consumers were used to. This is not something they are expecting. There's never any expectation that Xbox owners will play with PS owners, so it's a hard thing to get them to care about.

Actually, Sony told us it was to protect the children. That's when many of you started to substitute 'reasons' that sounded more convenient.

The rest of us aren't going off of 'pure speculation'. We're basing our arguments over details which were just mentioned to you in the post which you just responded to.

Many of who? Is it so hard for you to see me as an individual and not some part of a hive mind?

Now then, what details are going off from? Protect the children isn't a detaildd explanation of why Sony doesn't allow CP.

I must have missed that, it's a bullshit reason and the case isn't closed yet. Actually, it complicates their stance even further.

LordKano

But your ps4 friend can play with your pc friend... switch isn't going to be in the picture except in a very handful numberof games (and even then it may have cp) so almost always it's going to be the better on ps4 since it has the bigger community combined with pc.

I don't care about all the potential other games that would be better on PS4. In this specific case, because of Sony's anti-consumer policies, I'm affected.

Sony wants you to buy a PS4 to play with your friends. They're not breaking up your friendship, they don't owe Nintendo/Microsoft consumers anything 😉

Actually, they do, not to me specifically but to PS4 players (in this case, my lonely friend) since they've marketed their console as the best place to play your multiplatform games, and with the arrival of many cross-play features that will be lacking in PS4 version of multiplatform games, it won't be the case anymore for more and more games.

As much as I can appreciate the appeal of crossgen for a number of indiviual games, the idea of crossplay as a standard meta-platform feature across all games is nothing more than a pipedream.

It will always be allowed or not, implemented or not on a game-by-game basis. Not just from the perspective of the platform holders but also the developers/publishers themselves. There's a significant engineering challenge required to implemenet and maintain meaningful cross-play in the way that many here on Gaf dream it will be. And the actual benefits to respective games--and thus their creators--for all games that aren't MMOs are frankly not enough to justify the engineering manhours.

Sure for more service-based games it makes sense to try to unify the playerbases, but for three separate platforms with radically different network infrastructures, it's simply not worth it for the dev/pub to bear the cost of implementing and centrally managing social connectivity features that actually would make cross-play worthwhile.

So essentially, being limited to real barebones social connectivity between players on different platforms significantly limits the appeal of crossplay to essentially a novelty feature that probably sounds cool in theory but would likely be so clunky in practice that most players won't bother with it, and if that's how it eventuates, the publishers will be asking themselves is it really worth the developmemt effort.

"Oh so I can join parties with my friends and voice chat and everything?"

"Well not really..."

The difference is in expectations. The drm thing blew up because ms was taking away something consumers were used to. This is not something they are expecting. There's never any expectation that Xbox owners will play with PS owners, so it's a hard thing to get them to care about.

And there never was any expectation for online play before. People learn fast. And things are moving too. Cross play is a thing that needs to happen and there's nothing to argue against that.

There's no need to explain parties or such. Just say "online play".

Crayon

That is true to and extent. There is another problem, too. At this point, we should be asking for it and rewarding it on a game-per-game basis. It's still a rare feature. Like maybe people can make a thread about how they use crossplay or times when it came in really handy or whatever. The idea of putting pressure on sony is fine but.... where ya planning to get all this pressure from?

Floody

Making your system less appealing is a terrible business decision.

It could be argued that letting people play with their PS4 friends, without needing a PS4, makes it less appealing, than allowing console cross-play. It's anti-consumer, but not allowing console cross-play doesn't make the PS4 any less appealing, well outside of Minecraft.

But they can't already, so no casual will feel like they are missing out on anything.

Actually, they do, not to me specifically but to PS4 players (in this case, my lonely friend) since they've marketed their console as the best place to play your multiplatform games, and with the arrival of many cross-play features that will be lacking in PS4 version of multiplatform games, it won't be the case anymore for more and more games.

Let's see.

Top Bottom