• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Armband-wearing Nazi roams Seattle instigating, gets KOed, removes armband and leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.
tenor.gif

First thing that came to mind lol

Kthulhu

WORLD STAAAAAAAR!!!!!!

Jesus that punch. Felt the sound wave through time, space, and right through my monitor.

Lol

I'll most likely get killed for this, but unless the Nazi dude was threatening people physically, just because someone spews nonsense you find disgusting and disagree with it doesn't give you any right to lay your hands upon them.

He was actively harassing people. I'd say he had it coming.

I'll most likely get killed for this, but unless the Nazi dude was threatening people physically, just because someone spews nonsense you find disgusting and disagree with it doesn't give you any right to lay your hands upon them.

Even when they're yelling racist shit to you as a minority? Even when they're intruding on your life just to be a piece of shit?

Considering how overt the dude was being I bet he wanted to be punched. But I ain't feeling sorry for him.

Oh good, have we reached the part of the thread where Europeans come in and tell us how we should let American law enforcement deal with the Nazis?

Spoiler alert: law enforcement is to white supremacy as Clark Kent is to Superman.

Before entering the thread I was like "If they were not harassing anybody nor showing signs of confrontation, then sadly this isn't a good look for Antifa as they'd be doing exactly what these idiotic nazis do", but after coming in, reading he was harassing people and actually wearing a fucking nazi armband, I can hardly feel any sympathy for the guy and, well, you wear an armband like that in public you are basically asking to start a fight.

Pretty much we're I'm at.

This guy's an idiot. I don't feel sorry for him, but at the same time I'm not looking forward to how people spin this.

Racists have been a little too brazen and open with their bullshit since Trump got elected. They need to go back in the closet.

Won't condone it, but I did enjoy it. As long as they stay safe, punch Nazis everyday. I only say stay safe cause of this:
If the Nazi had been carrying a gun would it have been legal for him to kill the antifa in self-defense?
Not sure on Washington law, but probably.

docbon

Did they actually "use twitter to find him and beat him up" or is this just the logical conclusion of a dude walking around with his nazi cosplay and harassing people?

Greddleok

This is sick, and the people supporting this are sick.
And you all wonder why the "both sides have extremists" narrative exists.

If the Nazi had been carrying a gun would it have been legal for him to kill the antifa in self-defense?

Doubtful. The fact that he's the one who started the altercation is problematic for self-defense, even if the catalyst was verbal. Deadly force from a CCW is supposed to be the last route: if you could have peacefully removed yourself from the situation but opted to stay and escalate, you could potentially be charged with 2nd-degree murder.

Eidan

What's the evidence that the guy who knocked him out was using Twitter to hunt the Nazi down and beat him up?

Racists have been a little too brazen and open with their bullshit since Trump got elected. They need to go back in the closet.

Yup.

If someone is worried that a Nazi will now be afraid to go out wearing a Swastika armband while preaching hateful rhetoric... WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU? WHY WOULDN'T YOU WANT THAT BEHAVIOUR DISCOURAGED?

Freedom of speech doesn't give you license to harass people in public, nor does it defend you from fists.

Punching people is illegal, and it should be. Punching people for saying hateful provocative things is LESS frowned on than punching people minding their own business. BECAUSE OF COURSE IT IS.

Nepenthe

I'm not gonna lie; my immediate reaction to reading the topic title was silence and then laughter. Reading the actual story afterwards, my feelings are now one of apathy. Fuck Nazis, particularly the brazen, careless kind.

Swiggins

I'm so conflicted...

On one hand...punching Nazi's is an American tradition...

On the other...can we really condone violence like this, even if they are fucking Nazi's? They will absolutely use this as justification to do worse and even if they don't it's just going to make the idiotic "both siders" lean towards giving sympathy to the fucking Nazi's.

...nah, fuck it. Keep punching Nazi's.

paskowitz

This is probably going to be an unpopular opinion, but it is better to ignore people like this Vs. confronting them (unless they physically or verbally threaten another person).

IMO, this is a weaker net positive, only because it strengths the will of people who sympathize with this viewpoint. Sure it makes you feel good... but it also makes them "feel good". Ignoring them makes them feel unimportant, which IMO is more damaging than a punch to the face.

I am not saying this is the right action in all situations (protests, demonstrations, etc), but in this instance, walking away can send a stronger message in the long run.

Ferr986

This is sick, and the people supporting this are sick.
And you all wonder why the "both sides have extremists" narrative exists.

What is sick is being a Nazi in 2017. For fuck sake these guys support mass genocide. Fuck the narrative that some idiots may have.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Did they actually "use twitter to find him and beat him up" or is this just the logical conclusion of a dude walking around with his nazi cosplay and harassing people?
Seems like the latter to me. He went around town harassing people and found a group that wouldn't play that shit. People that noticed him, mentioned so on twitter, and some people compiled tweets, but that seems to be the end of antifa involvement on that matter.

I generally detest violence in any form and was put off by this before digging into the thread. But........ it's a literal Nazi acting like a literal Nazi to other people. I choose to believe that it isn't actually violence if the target is a citizen of the underworld.

A perfect case of "yeah, he's entitled to free speech, but that just means the government can't arrest him for doing it and he's still liable for the consequences of his actions" which he should know might include getting beat up by someone on the street he's being an ass to.

phanphare

Banned
Two things:

A. 800mg of edibles is insanity.
B. While punching Nazi's isn't something I'm against, I fear this will be used the by the right to prove the left wants violence. Especially with the way in which he was tracked using social media.

there's no way it was 800mg of active thc

On the other...can we really condone violence like this, even if they are fucking Nazi's? They will absolutely use this as justification to do worse

Nazis don't need a justification to "do worse" because they're fucking Nazis. Their ideology already involves killing everyone they disagree with.

norm9

I'm assuming there were plenty of twitter users who tweeted "there's a fucker with a nazi armband at so and so location." So, seems like a natural conclusion for walking around the streets with a nazi armband.

Two things:

A. 800mg of edibles is insanity.
B. While punching Nazi's isn't something I'm against, I fear this will be used the by the right to prove the left wants violence. Especially with the way in which he was tracked using social media.

Good luck using the footage of a nazi with his armband prominently displayed to get some sympathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom