• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

DrDogg

Finally getting some ranked matches in. I wish it disabled some of the more intrusive stages and either gave you more time or turned the timer off. Almost everything is going to time out. Not all that fun.

I'm getting my ass kicked on Grand Prix at level 4.

https://www.primagames.com/games/arms/tips/arms-tips-and-tricks-how-play-nintendo-switch

Training looks DEEP

As a tutorial it's great, as a training mode it's pretty bad compared to almost any other fighting game.

DrDogg

You still will have some help if you run into Hedlock in the Grand Prix...right?

If you're playing co-op.

NEW CHARACTER? MAX BRASS is playable! He's the Grand Prix Champion!

His ARMS are made out of championship belts!

Have you been watching the whole thing. Is this DLC or is this supposed to be live in the game now? Because I can't play on that stage (outside of Grand Prix) or as that character.

Ashodin

His special ability is to buff up and will NOT FLINCH when taking hits.

WHOA ALSO when he's low on health his ARMS will stay PERMANENTLY CHARGED

AND he has the shockwave that avoids a punch while dashing!

DrDogg this is the livestream on Treehouse right now.

Durden77

Damn, he sounds good. Spring Man's under 25% health skill is not to be underestimated, and Max Brass has that too.

Damn looks like he gets Spring Man's charge shockwave too!

Robiin

Okay, I was interested in this until Giant Bomb talked about it when the test punch was happening (I didn't play it myself) and they said that you have fewer options playing with a controller compared to joy cons and motion control. For example curving hits. Is that still a thing? I really want to play, but I don't feel like punching in real life.

DrDogg

His special ability is to buff up and will NOT FLINCH when taking hits.

WHOA ALSO when he's low on health his ARMS will stay PERMANENTLY CHARGED

DrDogg this is the livestream on Treehouse right now.

Yeah I'm watching, but I came in late. Is this DLC or is it supposed to be in the launch version of the game?

Damn, he sounds good. Spring Man's under 25% health skill is not to be underestimated, and Max Brass has that too.

He looks a bit too much like a Spring Man clone. I was hoping to get more from him if he became a playable character.

DrDogg

Okay, I was interested in this until Giant Bomb talked about it when the test punch was happening (I didn't play it myself) and they said that you have fewer options playing with a controller compared to joy cons and motion control. For example curving hits. Is that still a thing? I really want to play, but I don't feel like punching in real life.

I play with the pro controller and I think it's fine. You gain precision but lose the ability to curve Arms individually or as easily. I think it's a fair trade, although I wish I could have the curving ability on controller. Kind of disappointing they didn't make that an option.

Kudo

Damn Max Brass, can inflate his upper body to match Master Mummy and has all the abilities that Spring Man have, not fair!

Pastry

Banned
Damn Max Brass, can inflate his upper body to match Master Mummy and has all the abilities that Spring Man have, not fair!

There has to be some downside that was lost in translation otherwise Spring Man is useless, mind as well use Max Brass.

Ozium

as someone who really enjoyed Mummy in the testpunch but wish he had more ability, MAX BRASS looks fucking awesome..

I also assume we will be getting a new stage for him when he releases also, since every other character has a stage..

mas8705

So Little Mac doesn't get to be in Arms, but Super Macho Man gets in under the guise of Max Brass?!

180px-An2m.gif

I noticed that pec flexing anywhere!

Can't wait for the first set of DLC to drop soon after the game launches tomorrow. ^_^

Ashodin

It's not a "real" mode, but adding Spectator Mode could potentially mean we won't only get characters, ARMS, and stages lol

RPG mode where you level up characters in addition to ARMS and collect new clothing pieces to mix and match for your favorite fighters!

Robiin

I play with the pro controller and I think it's fine. You gain precision but lose the ability to curve Arms individually or as easily. I think it's a fair trade, although I wish I could have the curving ability on controller. Kind of disappointing they didn't make that an option.
So curving is not necessarily a "required" option in order to play well would you say?

DrDogg

There has to be some downside that was lost in translation otherwise Spring Man is useless, mind as well use Max Brass.

He's slower than Spring Man.

as someone who really enjoyed Mummy in the testpunch but wish he had more ability, MAX BRASS looks fucking awesome..

I also assume we will be getting a new stage for him when he releases also, since every other character has a stage..

I'm guessing his stage will come with him. It's not playable now outside of Grand Prix.

JJShadow

You still will have some help if you run into Hedlock in the Grand Prix...right?

I reckon he's the last boss.. since there's 10 rounds and 10 fighters and hedlock being you but with a head lock?

Grand Prix boss spoiler

The last stage is a double fight actually: first one againt Max Brass and the second one is Max Brass with Hedlock's head

You have to beat him alone but it's much much easier than co-op Hedlock

Dipship31

So what's the best way to get this from the Japanese EShop early? I created a JP account and am looking at the Arms purchase screen on the Japanese EShop. What's the next best step?

DrDogg

So curving is not necessarily a "required" option in order to play well would you say?

Curving is important, but not as important as some would have you believe, IMO. You can still curve on controller, just not as well as you can with motion controls. I do think it gives motion controls an advantage, but with the defensive play that seems to be emerging at higher levels of play, it's not nearly as important. We'll have to see how the meta evolves as people get better at the game.

Grand Prix boss spoiler

The last stage is a double fight actually: first one againt Max Brass and the second one is Max Brass with Hedlock's head

You have to beat him alone but it's much much easier than co-op Hedlock

He's hard when you get to higher difficulty levels. I'd say his level 4 difficulty is about the same as Party Match, but level 7 is much harder in Grand Prix.

Made a amazon japan account and got the digital arms, but now I'm stuck in pending verification. I hope it doesn't take to long. Anyone else ever. Run into this?

Top Bottom