• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

TeegsD

Dropped the Megawatt and switched the Dragon on the right arm. Now sporting the RamRam on the left arm. Took a series to get used to but finally kept getting his movements down with the ramram while surprising him with the Dragon

Cracker, please and thank you. So is popper the fastest glove in the game?

Also I wonder about revolver/retorcher- specifically their time from activation to max distance of the first shell. I suspect that might be the fastest "time to contact," but that would require a different testing methodology.

Okay so compared to 14/15 in 10 for popper, cracker seemed to be 13/14 in 10 leaning on 13, so 78 - 84 PPM, which went well with my gut feeling of them being slower.

Surprisingly, the revolver was 11/12 in 10 leaning on 11, so 66 - 72 PPM

Retorcher was 10/11 in 10 very strongly leaning toward ten, so 60 - 66 PPM.

I think they did this and it's the only case of electricity being faster because I'm sure the developers did not want one to be stronger AND faster.

For the triple ones I did my best to shoot the second one once I saw the first one retracting back.

DrDogg

I agree that electric is far and away the superior element in a vacuum. Their stun duration is even longer online vs. offline, probably to compensate for lag. But I think that in general, those Arm types (regardless of element) are easily avoided in the current evasive meta. I'm only in Rank 8, and I rarely see Electric weapons used as Plan A and B arms. When was the last time you played Ranked?

Your debate might be a case of practice vs. theory. I'm more inclined to take stock in the word of Gore, an actual Rank 15 as opposed to someone who is a Rank 10 from however-many-days-ago who

This isn't even counting the number of fights that are needed to level up as the ranks go higher. And I say this who, as of ~12 hours ago, can beat Gore consistently.

Electric arms do mess me up because of their rarity (Seekies also explode even if I dodge them). But there has to be a reason why they aren't widely used. Maybe people haven't unlocked them yet? Maybe they really aren't viable? It's an interesting question. If you think that Electric arms just by their very nature will allow you to dominate at Ranked, then I'd appreciate it if you disrupted the high-level meta yourself and report back.

It's only been a few days since I played ranked. Not weeks or anything. This is all practiced against other players not random theory craft. Unfortunately the training mode in this game is pretty bad compared to almost any other fighting game so thorough testing by yourself is fairly limited.

I wonder if people will be able to get frame data like in other fighting games. To me it seems like there's like a global cooldown present between all actions, jump/dash/punch/whatever. And opportunities come from getting in between your opponents actions. Before today I assumed the three arm weights had common speeds to play around the global cooldown in a more Rock Paper Scissors Dash Jump Punch kind of way. I'd be interested in seeing actual frame data (if it's possible in a game like this) just to see if there is like a general balance through line.

But like Hawkians post above I think a lot of it seems preference based ATM which I think is a good thing. Im low rank and I haven't run into anything as strong as poppers helix, but I have seen people attempting to tower spam with other arms. Thanks to this thread I've been able to counter them with ram rams.

Frame data can be calculated but it wouldn't serve the same purpose. In most fighting games a physical attack has the same start and end point every time you use it so you always know at what point it makes contact. In Arms that isn't the case because the ending contact point varies depending on the distance to your target.

I don't have a 60fps capture device, otherwise I would at least count the exact frames on these punches. I can do it with my 30fps capture device, but it won't be as accurate.

Ketch

It's only been a few days since I played ranked. Not weeks or anything. This is all practiced against other players not random theory craft. Unfortunately the training mode in this game is pretty bad compared to almost any other fighting game so thorough testing by yourself is fairly limited.

Frame data can be calculated but it wouldn't serve the same purpose. In most fighting games a physical attack has the same start and end point every time you use it so you always know at what point it makes contact. In Arms that isn't the case because the ending contact point varies depending on the distance to your target.

I don't have a 60fps capture device, otherwise I would at least count the exact frames on these punches. I can do it with my 30fps capture device, but it won't be as accurate.

Hmmm that's an interesting point. Frame data could be used to determine arm speed though. But more importantly, and maybe this is a no brainer but I haven't thought about it in these terms: Arm speed determines how close you want to be to your opponent.

For example I run cracker/sparky and definitely feel the need to be mid range.

And I'm sure we've all experienced the terror of megatons up close.

Thanks! I too suspected Cracker must be slower. Still that puts it ahead of everything else you've tested.

Except for the poppers. That seems to be a very prevalent and smart design choice, to make sure each arm does something and is the best at something so that no one particular arm is faster. They're both ridiculously fast when punched with the cracker being slightly slower. They seem to slow down slightly the longer they travel and the recovery seems moderate so that's why they're not too crazily ahead of the others.

TZchassis

Any tips for Kid Cobra players who just spam punching. I've encountred two of them today and the only way I found to beat them is by using Ninjara's block and attacking or basically playing with Kid Cobra the same way they do

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Electric types have the slowest speeds I believe. Even the Megawatt is a bit slower than Megaton.
This is the easiest one to see in practice actually, if you throw them megawatt slightly before megaton "catches up" by the end of the path.

I'm still not super clear about what part of the animation is different for the different gloves, but it's interesting that your overall output might be different- especially for a build like Lucifers where he is really filling ever frame.
I wonder if people will be able to get frame data like in other fighting games. To me it seems like there's like a global cooldown present between all actions, jump/dash/punch/whatever. And opportunities come from getting in between your opponents actions. Before today I assumed the three arm weights had common speeds to play around the global cooldown in a more Rock Paper Scissors Dash Jump Punch kind of way. I'd be interested in seeing actual frame data (if it's possible in a game like this) just to see if there is like a general balance through line.

But like Hawkians post above I think a lot of it seems preference based ATM which I think is a good thing. Im low rank and I haven't run into anything as strong as poppers helix, but I have seen people attempting to tower spam with other arms. Thanks to this thread I've been able to counter them with ram rams.
Preference based for sure but also, at the top, very critcally also counter-based, which you alluded to at the same time.

In other words, if something is really excelling and someone is consistently getting a lot of wins with it, the task doesn't become "find the thing that is objectively superior to that one in a vacuum," it's "find the one that specifically beats that other one." Because then they can't count on it to win. So if say it's discovered that Blorb is really particularly great at countering one thing, it will be worth using Blorb in your lineup to either use when encountering, or discourage the picking of that thing- even if you'd never have considered using it if we were starting from scratch.

This is part of the balance proposition of the game. In fact, a fairly simple equation can be offered: the longer we see that these counter-picks are possible and there is no "this must be on every high level player's bar to compete," the better balance the game has. If the answer were "everyone use electric" or "everyone only use poppers" or "everyone only use bubb" then it would be obvious to the competitors at the highest levels of play and we wouldn't be having an ongoing discussion about it at all- just a resigned kind of "welp, can't wait for them to nerf X."

Again, I'm not saying the game IS balanced- I still think it's just way too early to tell. Tomorrow, we could discover that Ram Ram / Thunderbird Ribbon Girl is completely unstoppable in all matchups somehow and it's just an obvious shift in the meta where everyone has to play that or counter it specifically, or you're out of luck. But we're not seeing that yet, and there's a pretty decent variety of, well, stuff represented in high ranked play at the moment. Which I think is cool.

DrDogg

Hmmm that's an interesting point. Frame data could be used to determine arm speed though. But more importantly, and maybe this is a no brainer but I haven't thought about it in these terms: Arm speed determines how close you want to be to your opponent.

You'd also probably want to factor in recovery time since that's what would cause you to get punished. If an Arm has low recovery time you can get closer without worrying as much about a counter punch.

Except for the poppers. That seems to be a very prevalent and smart design choice, to make sure each arm does something and is the best at something so that no one particular arm is faster. They're both ridiculously fast when punched with the cracker being slightly slower. They seem to slow down slightly the longer they travel and the recovery seems moderate so that's why they're not too crazily ahead of the others.

Since I don't feel like counting frames, I'll assume your calculations are correct. But if the difference in speed between... say the Sparky and Bubb are so slight that you can't see a significant difference or even tell them apart until you hit ~7 seconds of straight punching, the advantage in minimal. Factor in online latency and it's even less of a factor. I don't care how low some may think the latency is (it's actually not very low), it's more than the difference in Arm speed between elements.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Moondrop said:
Thanks! I too suspected Cracker must be slower. Still that puts it ahead of everything else you've tested.
Except for the poppers.
I think he means everything ELSE you've tested, haha.

Moondrop, I came around on Crackers and love them now. Knockdown on something that fast firing is a joy.

Also...

*sigh*

It pains me to say this but Skillshot may not actually suck. I'm sort of starting to get it.

You aren't aiming for the targets- you're aiming for the enemy, curving through the targets. That's the "skillshot."

This made me think about which arms would be the best for it in a different way, and really hone my wide grabs.

I may have been wrong :[

Ketch

The interesting thing about all the mini games is that they actually sub consciously teach you important parts of the game.... how you to aim punches, how to not get grabbed and jockey for position.... volleyball is just garbage though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
See and now V-Ball I liked from the very beginning. I'm just good at it for some reason. Plus I like Snake Park XD

See and now V-Ball I liked from the very beginning. I'm just good at it for some reason. Plus I like Snake Park XD

I'm convinced v ball teaches how to deal with aerial opponents

Also Lucifer's pick for the triple Bubb is genius because I think by default all of Kid Cobra's arms are already larger than those of most other characters.

javac

V Ball is rigged, I swear the ball touches the other sides floor a dozen times and doesn't trigger and as soon as its anywhere near the floor on my end it goes off! And don't get me started on the ball randomly dropping as soon as it inches to my side when the timer runs out! I keep it on their side and as soon as it just passes that net to my side, poof! And Hoops is just as bad, all you have to do is grab grab grab but that's no fun at all! I don't want to grab and I don't want to be grabbed! Delete grabbing!

Speely

Banned
V Ball is rigged, I swear the ball touches the other sides floor a dozen times and doesn't trigger and as soon as its anywhere near the floor on my end it goes off! And don't get me started on the ball randomly dropping as soon as it inches to my side when the timer runs out! I keep it on their side and as soon as it just passes that net, poof! And Hoops is just as bad, all you have to do is grab grab grab but that's no fun at all! I don't want to grab and I don't want to be grabbed! Delete grabbing!

Are you setting the ball before you spike it?

Also, I punch a lot in Hoops. Setting up a 3-point rush from way out is a good point spike.

I hit Snake Park two games in a row in ranked against a Master Mummy which took away a ton of my speed advantage, was able to get him the second time around but it was extremely frustrating seeing the same level after hitting rematch lol.

Ogodei

I've never had the slightest trouble with V-ball. Pick the fastest or widest-reach (retorcher and its relatives) weapon in your loadout and go to town. Spam to get it out of your side of the court, shoot as soon as it gets remotely near the net, dodge quick to make sure you're always parallel to the ball when it's on the other guy's side.

Of course, i never got as far as V-ball with Helix, so...

Keep in mind guys my estimates are when using two of the same weapons and firing the reserve when the primary reaches max distance. If your set up uses two different arms I suppose you can request me to simply fire one arm as fast as possible in ten seconds and I'll tell you the fire rate of a single particular glove.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I hit Snake Park two games in a row in ranked against a Master Mummy which took away a ton of my speed advantage, was able to get him the second time around but it was extremely frustrating seeing the same level after hitting rematch lol.
I will kiiiiinda concede that it doesn't belong in Ranked Play. It basically forces a completely different type of gameplay and strategy than any other map, which isn't particularly good for competition.

It's fun tho :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh shit I forgot to mention this. This is going in the tips post but just want to get it out there ASAP cause it's pretty glorious and good to learn early on.

Some of the high ranked players specifically DKL introduced me to the concept that if you do a short hop you immediately get a brief charge (enough to attack or dash then attack). Just tap jump, that's literally all there is to it, and you get a quick charge when you touch down.

This is the fastest way to get a charge and has a good number of potential applications, but it particularly shines when your opponent is in downed/wakeup state. By doing a "short hop charge" (SHC?) you can have your charge ready to go and arms ready to fire much closer to the moment they regain control out of wakeup. With perfect execution (and especially if the opponent is hampered movement-wise i.e. in a corner) you can potentially prevent them from ever recovering.

It's not always necessarily the best way to get your charge and the others still have legitimate uses, but it is extremely valuable and can be mixed into random motions to disguise what you are doing from opponents, raising your overall charge uptime. In my opinion this is a game-changing technique that you should start practicing right away!

If an opponent is really taking liberal use of this technique during a match and you notice is, a counter is to intentionally save your arms, wait for the jump and punish it, because they can't throw a punch to accomplish what they're trying to do. Also, in wakeup you can usually cover considerable ground and make it tougher to tag you on recover.

We are a bit torn on whether or not this is intentional design or a slight oversight that can be taken advantage of. From a design standpoint, what I think is happening is this: ifi you hit the ground from the air without having thrown a punch in the air, you get one of these quick charges. So by just hopping on the ground you're doing the shortest possible version of this "freebie" charge, and thus you get a charge from neutral that is quicker animation-wise than any of the other options.

Tahnit

Banned
Ok so Min min with megawatt and the dragon is op. Send this fucking wall at them and then when they dodge hit them with the dragon, or they get hit and they get hit by the dragon anyways. So powerful especially when the megawatt is charged!

We are a bit torn on whether or not this is intentional design or a slight oversight that can be taken advantage of. From a design standpoint, what I think is happening is this: ifi you hit the ground from the air without having thrown a punch in the air, you get one of these quick charges. So by just hopping on the ground you're doing the shortest possible version of this "freebie" charge, and thus you get a charge from neutral that is quicker animation-wise than any of the other options.

I noticed the tap-jump charge with Helix when I was learning him for GP but never thought to check it on the other characters, as I thought it was just a workaround for Helix to give him a jump-into-charge since holding the jump button stretches him out into the tower.

This works with Min Min's back-dash as well (and I was already using it earlier today to follow up on knockdowns just like you described), but there, too, I thought it was a character-specific mechanic and not something I thought to try with anyone else. It lands quicker than a tap-jump but comes at the expense of extending your distance from the opponent. Now that I look at it again, it's absolutely a consequence of the same system, a momentary charge when you land.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I noticed the tap-jump charge with Helix when I was learning him for GP but never thought to check it on the other characters, as I thought it was just a workaround for Helix to give him a jump-into-charge since holding the jump button stretches him out into the tower.

This works with Min Min's back-dash as well (and I was already using it earlier today to follow up on knockdowns just like you described), but there, too, I thought it was a character-specific mechanic and not something I thought to try with anyone else. It lands quicker than a tap-jump but comes at the expense of extending your distance from the opponent. Now that I look at it again, it's absolutely a consequence of the same system, a momentary charge when you land.
Indeed, my first reaction to this system was Ninjara's air dash teleport; I noticed that if I did it right before hitting the ground, I seemed to have my charge right away (though I kept holding the dash button not realizing it was unnecessary). Now I know that the height was irrelevant, but it was the fact that I hadn't thrown a punch in the air. A quick test though determined though that the best possible execution of Ninjaras air dash is still a longer animation chain than the SHC.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Got the game today.

I've been playing for the past 5 hours.

This is exactly like Splatoon. It just feels so fucking good.

This level 6 AI is kicking my ass. Cheating bullshit.

Any exploits? I don't think I'm getting better fighting these things, just learning cooldown timings

Neoxon

The update went through for me (it restarted the game), but I still can't go online.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's just a weird option. I still see it listed as ARMS 1.0.0

StayDead

I will kiiiiinda concede that it doesn't belong in Ranked Play. It basically forces a completely different type of gameplay and strategy than any other map, which isn't particularly good for competition.

It's fun tho :p

That's exactly why it is good for competition.

Maps shouldn't all be the same. It's why Dota and League are so damn boring, but something like Broodwar is so amazing. So many different maps all forcing different playstyles.

Seik

Banned
Did a dozen of ranked matches today, lost about 4 times.

That was intense, my heart was pumping af in the end, I take thay shit too seriously. :lol

pprkut

Neo Member
There are also times when I want to play but I just don't have the desire to exert myself in any way (that makes me sound so lazy) which previously resulted in me just not playing. It's just more convenient not to use motion at times.

Plus handheld mode.

Still, I will use motion from time to time and this is easily the best example of motion controls I've ever used.
I ultimately ended going for traditional controls since I want to play anywhere and everywhere, I can't really play with motion during break at work you know.

I can't play online either, which stinks because I'm on my way to level 9 ranking

This game has exceeded my expectations. It. It only reminds me of super punch out, but one of my favourite games of all time, metal combat (battleclash 2)

Requested by Hawkian:

Hydra, 11 in 10 (it was close but the time stopped at 11, I might do that now to confirm very close numbers), 66 PPM.

Charged damage: 120 ALWAYS regardless how many hit

Uncharged damage for individual hit: 80

Uncharged damage if two bullets in one punch hit: 80 + 40

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Need some friendly advice on if I should get this game.

I've been playing fighting games since Street Fighter 2 in arcades but have really burned out on all the recent output from Capcom (SF5 characters did nothing for me, any of them, and that's what I need to feel connected to a fighting game -- a character I love), and never really cared for Mortal Kombat/Netherrealms style of play. Probably put 500 hours into the last fighting game I played (Super SSF4) and I'm not adverse to the genre. I'm just worried I'll find this game gimmicky and get bored quickly.

Do you guys think I should give it a shot? I just want something really fresh and appealing -- something to rekindle my love for the genre.

When I finally played through GP4 and 5, I thought people were exaggerating the difficulty. I managed to get through those with not too many problems (I even beat Hedlok on the first try, which I never have done before!).

But GP6? Holy crap. The last four fights alone took me over 3 hours. I've never seen Master Mummy dodge Sparkies like that before, and Max Brass and Hedlok were total pains with all the explosions. Spring Man's shockwave ability is pretty useless against Hedlok, too.

I hope GP7 isn't nearly as much of a difficulty spike. My poor fingers are sore right now from the motion controls.

When I finally played through GP4 and 5, I thought people were exaggerating the difficulty. I managed to get through those with not too many problems (I even beat Hedlok on the first try, which I never have done before!).

But GP6? Holy crap. The last four fights alone took me over 3 hours. I've never seen Master Mummy dodge Sparkies like that before, and Max Brass and Hedlok were total pains with all the explosions. Spring Man's shockwave ability is pretty useless against Hedlok, too.

I hope GP7 isn't nearly as much of a difficulty spike. My poor fingers are sore right now from the motion controls.

I'm using the pro controller. I would not win a single online match or even offline with motion controls

ryanofcall

I beat the Grand Prix with all the Characters on level 4. And I got
Nothing. Nothing at all :(

What does the little + sign do next to an arm except for telling me I got the same arm in "get arms" twice?

Top Bottom