• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Speely

Banned
I CAN'T beat Byte & Barq on GP5. I handled the first 4 enemies on this level just fine. I do ok online vs players (great vs non-GAF lobbies.)

I cannot do this. Spring Man btw.

I want to tear my own head off and throw it at the screen. Fuck.

Nico_D

I'm using the pro controller. I would not win a single online match or even offline with motion controls

Yeah, I'm trying out pro controller now too. It seems I'm disadvantaged using motion controls. Motion controls are probably the way to play and I really like to play with motion, I also would like to win bit more often.

I CAN'T beat Byte & Barq on GP5.

Oh, you too? I'm about to lose my cool with that bouncing piece of junk. It is only by cheer accident that I can get a hit on him. I'm so incredibly salty.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I CAN'T beat Byte & Barq on GP5. I handled the first 4 enemies on this level just fine. I do ok online vs players (great vs non-GAF lobbies.)

I beat him yesterday with Ribbon Girl. Next is... Spring Man and that's a hell of a fight.

Chauzu

Yeah, I'm trying out pro controller now too. It seems I'm disadvantaged using motion controls. Motion controls are probably the way to play and I really like to play with motion, I also would like to win bit more often.

Oh, you too? I'm about to lose my cool with that bouncing piece of junk. It is only by cheer accident that I can get a hit on him. I'm so incredibly salty.

Just letting you know I'm in rank 9 now using solely motion control. It can be done! And when you get to higher level, being able to curve in different directions starts being useful.

Nico_D

Just letting you know I'm in rank 9 now using solely motion control. It can be done! And when you get to higher level, being able to curve in different directions starts being useful.

Yeah, that's what I'm guessing too. After having played some with pro, I don't like the button layout - especially since it is so different compared to motion controls. When trying to do a block counter, I hit the left shoulder button on pro like with joycons. Also that fucking Byte & Barq is driving me crazy.

My problem with motion control is I still haven't been able to 100% pull off a grab when I want in the middle of a fight compared to using standard controls. There are perfect opportunities to get some damage in when the opponent has left themselves open, but the window for pushing both controllers forward at the same time seems freaking tiny when you're in a thick of it. I can swear I'm pushing them at the same time but nope, they're going one after the other and then the window is gone.

Chauzu

My problem with motion control is I still haven't been able to 100% pull off a grab when I want in the middle of a fight compared to using standard controls. There are perfect opportunities to get some damage in when the opponent has left themselves open, but the window for pushing both controllers forward at the same time seems freaking tiny when you're in a thick of it. I can swear I'm pushing them at the same time but nope, they're going one after the other and then the window is gone.

idk what to tell you man, I can be consistent with grabs. Also with motion doing wide grabs is easier so you can read roll ups after knockdown and cover a wide area. Best I can tell you is push both hands forward at the same time. I've used button controls a bit when grinding coins and grabs come out as fast in both layouts to me.

Speely

Banned

I am so fucking salty. This motherfucker reads inputs hardcore and has a fucking pet to not only intercept rushes, but to interrupt them since you can't easily target the little fuck.

Masked Man

I said wow

I struggled as well, if it's any consolation. :/ The key is to take out Barq first. I recommend starting a fair distance away so that your punches will just reach Barq but Byte's punches won't reach you. Once you're able to deactivate Barq, then you can close the gap and start focusing on Byte. When Barq reactivates, repeat the process. Good luck!

Nico_D

I am so fucking salty. This motherfucker reads inputs hardcore and has a fucking pet to not only intercept rushes, but to interrupt them since you can't easily target the little fuck.

It paid to complain, lol. I beat the fucker. Listened to Chauzu and switched back to motion controls. Then equipped Ram Ram on my right arm and Thunderbird on the left. Won the first one, he won the second and I won the last with last second super.

Where's my bloody medal?

You'll do it too. Curving arms helped be a ton with landing hits on him - and electricity in particular to stop the asshole on his tracks. Other than that I just evaded, all the time.

Edit: Oh, I found out that grabbing is the best way to take Barq out.

Speely

Banned
He also blocks grabs

Yep. I hate him.

I struggled as well, if it's any consolation. :/ The key is to take out Barq first. I recommend starting a fair distance away so that your punches will just reach Barq but Byte's punches won't reach you. Once you're able to deactivate Barq, then you can close the gap and start focusing on Byte. When Barq reactivates, repeat the process. Good luck!

This is good advice. However, I have failed on luck and Byte is rocking punches that almost never miss. AND he builds up Rush while Byte is doing his dirty work and somehow ALWAYS unleashes it on me when I am falling from a jump.

It's a perfect cocktail of fuckery. I hate B&B.

Edit ^^ I always take out Barq first.

I'm loving the F-ZERO GX-esque style. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought this was a SEGA game. So good. Nintendo has a new hit franchise!

I beat him on my first attempt. I am using Cobra and double Electric Seeker missiles (yellow) exploit his slowness and keep your distance.

Man high level championship mode for some characters is hard as hell. Funnily I had an easier time with Byte and Barq the first time I used them than Mechanica.

Yesterday night I beat it with them and today with Mechanica.
Love the ending drawings at the end for each character, the mechanica one is amazing, looks just like something from astroboy by Tezuka.

Also dat credits theme <3

It's the weekend so it's time to fite.

Still haven't played as much as I would like because work, but I'm ready to jump in again. Even if I'm not winning, this game is a load of fun to play.

Raitaro

I'm loving the F-ZERO GX-esque style. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought this was a SEGA game. So good. Nintendo has a new hit franchise!

Just like with Splatoon, it seems like "Nintendo is now doing what Segain't" (apologies...) when it comes to pick up and play games that have that once Sega patented "blue skies" energetic (summer) vibe with colorful art and wacky but cool character designs.

It's an interesting development for sure, though part of me wishes that Sega would return to it themselves as well (beyond Sonic Mania), llike with an Outrun 3 or new Jet Set Radio or Skies of Arcadia preferably. Or even better, with a new F-Zero in collaboration with Nintendo.

I find the CPU Byte & Barq complaints to be funny because he was one of the easier CPUs I fought in my Spring Man GP6 run. I even got a Perfect off!

My strategy is to keep my distance and disable Barq whenever I can. Without Barq, Byte has literally nothing special going for him, making him rather easy to land hits on despite the high-level AI.

GP7 scares me, but I'm gonna do it. After I do it normally with Spring Man, I plan to just cheese it out with Dragon ARMS for the other characters since I heard the AI has a tough time dealing with that for some reason.

Doorman

I still haven't touched ranked, but I probably should this weekend. I'm having a similar mental block as I did doing ranked in Splatoon, where I constantly hesitate to play before I feel like I have a proper "main" setup laid out that I feel confident with. But, being generally crap at games as I am, I never do well enough with anything at all to reach that personal threshold. The end result is a bunch of different ideas and weird little experiments that don't work and never enough time dedicated to any single thing to gain proficiency.

Even now just trying to pick out like two mains, I'm having an impossible time whittling it down from like 5 options because I can't reconcile what I'd theoretically like to use vs. what actually seems to get better results.

Ketch

I still haven't touched ranked, but I probably should this weekend. I'm having a similar mental block as I did doing ranked in Splatoon, where I constantly hesitate to play before I feel like I have a proper "main" setup laid out that I feel confident with. But, being generally crap at games as I am, I never do well enough with anything at all to reach that personal threshold. The end result is a bunch of different ideas and weird little experiments that don't work and never enough time dedicated to any single thing to gain proficiency.

Even now just trying to pick out like two mains, I'm having an impossible time whittling it down from like 5 options because I can't reconcile what I'd theoretically like to use vs. what actually seems to get better results.

Just play for fun. Personally I started playing ranked more because of how annoying 2v2s and battle royals are.

Also, this game gets deeper everyday. Two things I just read on reddit that relate to our conversation yesterday, haven't tested them myself yet though: 1. shock type arms are the only type which don't travel faster when charged. 2. Super charge rate is based on the amount of time your arms spend extending. So long shots or slow attacks from far away charge more meter per punch, but fast shots up close give you less meter more often.

Also also:
There is one stat that effects meter gain that varies by character though, and that is Arm Girth. Arm girth affects the size of a characters ARMS, but that size also has an effect on the amount of time it takes an ARM to reach max distance and its total speed.

https://i.imgur.com/w7WzIg7.jpg

https://twitter.com/ARMS_Cobutter/status/878084236695093248

DC-U4WiUMAAIigh.jpg:large

Moondrop

Banned

I'm in the same mental trap. You have to remind yourself that you need the hard data from ranked to properly determine your main; can't determine it on theory, GP, and party alone.

I've got 9/10 through GP4; one more and I'm diving into ranked myself.

Ranked is no different from any other mode, really. If you're halfway decent it's also the fastest way to get coins out of all the modes (if you don't do the several grind methods out there); you get 2 coins per loss and 6/8/10 coins based on your rank, with bonus coins awarded for Perfects.

Craft

Just beat GP on level 7 as Master Mummy feeling happy about my progression.
Hedlok is actually pretty easy once I realised that I couldn't play defensively with MM as my shields would break too quickly and it's nearly impossible to dodge his attacks with MM. Instead I equipped the fastest ARMS I had and went full out offensive keeping him on the outside of the stage, then attack in the air for some easy hits.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just play for fun. Personally I started playing ranked more because of how annoying 2v2s and battle royals are.

Also, this game gets deeper everyday. Two things I just read on reddit that relate to our conversation yesterday, haven't tested them myself yet though: 1. shock type arms are the only type which don't travel faster when charged. 2. Super charge rate is based on the amount of time your arms spend extending. So long shots or slow attacks from far away charge more meter per punch, but fast shots up close give you less meter more often.

Also also:

....noooooooo

I mean that's super interesting but I'm pretty sure like 4 hours of research last night are meaningless now

Also also:

Sheesh, no wonder Kid Cobra is considered amazing. He has max stats on everything that matters when his ARMS are charged.

Moondrop

Banned
There is one stat that effects meter gain that varies by character though, and that is Arm Girth. Arm girth affects the size of a characters ARMS, but that size also has an effect on the amount of time it takes an ARM to reach max distance and its total speed.
(Character Stats) https://i.imgur.com/w7WzIg7.jpg
Hold on- what's the directionality here? I.e. does more arm girth mean faster or slower charging? Faster or slower time to reach max distance? Higher or lower total speed?

Because I just tested with Min Min, who encompasses both extremes simultaneously. The dragon arm is definitely faster in total speed than the non-dragon arm. Harder to eyeball "time to reach max distance." That means arms girth = faster total speed, which seems counter-intuitive. But it matches up with my Byte experience. Therefore Kid Cobra punches faster than Helix.

Other notes:
- I could tell Ninjara was fastest (outside charged Cobra), but it's interesting no one is else higher than 3.
- Twintelle is size 4, but the other ladies are size 2. Lulz.
- Cobra has a 5 in jump to Ribbon Girl's 4.

kewlmyc

Also also:

Are those real? Just bought the game and was planning on using Min min, but she seems to have bad stats in everything when not using the dragon. Or am I reading it incorrectly?

beat the campaign today with Ninjara at level 7.
I started last frimai on lvl 4 and found it really difficult, after one week of training online and offline, i think i've played for about 4/5 hours, i manage to beat headlock after a couple of try.
Keep practicing, don't lose faith, dodge a lot and use the slapamander.

Top Bottom