• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Blocking with thumbstick is so hard. I know they'll change it in a patch to the shoulder buttons but damn did they even play test that? Huge oversight.

I don't think it's an oversight. It's to make it more like the motion controls where blocking is hard/not really possible while moving

javac

I think that they wanted to keep parity with all the non-motion control methods, which explains why they mention using A+B instead of ZL+ZR for punching as the single joy-con only has shoulder buttons. None of the extra buttons are used for anything vital.

I disagree actually! Completely different play style, but one of the top 5 players I believe is actually a mummy.

You're maybe missing the biggest advantage of choosing him: "Will not flinch from non-charged (and some charged) attacks while jumping, dashing, or punching; also gain 50% damage reduction when a punch is resisted." He can be the tankiest by far as well as one of the most intimidating played well. and:

Right. Match against another defensive minded player and he has a distinct one up with the heal.

It does, just not as much as punching.

This is a reasonable question for sure. Ribbon has a considerably smaller hitbox and more mobility, and it could be argued that for light arms like poppers, which are a starter for her, arm girth may be a liability (lower rush meter gain, higher chance of being punched through). But overall Cobra could be argued to simply have more advantages and fewer weaknesses.

On the one hand, it really sets Cobra apart as a small character with big arms. That's a good niche. It's also worth mentioning that decreasing his arm girth by just one might actually make him even better- that would probably be the ultimate sweet spot for speed+meter gain.

But, as it stands, combined with his ability giving him outstanding mobility, he is really only lacking in jump, which suits him fine as his ability only works on the ground.

Again, he isn't unbeatable by any means. But he is certainly a very strong character offering a niche no one else does.

I'm curious...does more arm girth make it easier for ARMS to be disabled for that character? Like do Kid Cobra's ARMS have more of a hitbox allowing them to be disabled more?

Technically he also has the fastest and longest jump too.

Biske

Really folks? In 1v1v1 or 1v1v1v1 you think spending the whole match exclusively fighting me so your 10% can try and take on a 100% opponent is gonna work out? Okay then...

MDave

Yeah Kid Cobras jumping to the side is faster and travels more distance then his uncharged dash. I use him with double poppers and an aggressive playstyle, its very fun to dodge all over the place hah.

jts

...hate me...
Really folks? In 1v1v1 or 1v1v1v1 you think spending the whole match exclusively fighting me so your 10% can try and take on a 100% opponent is gonna work out? Okay then...

Right? Fuck my life some players are dense.

delume

Played through Grand Prix up to Grade 4 with each character and felt that learning curve hard. Played with friends locally and had a blast. There are still moments where I feel like I can't punish when I make a good play or just feel ineffectual but I do feel like I am learning.

Grade 7 Grand Prix has, in my opinion, taken away from the game. The lessons you learn in this mode do not transfer to ranked or party games against humans. It reminds me of the old days of Streetfighter II, where beating the single player did fairly close to nothing for you when it came to player versus player. Have other fighting games made advances in this area?

Overall, I am finding ARMS is a great companion for Mario Kart 8 DX and, eventually, Splatoon 2.

Luigi87

A 1v1v1v1 I had was great in that it was two separate 1v1s with myself and a Min Min who was fighting another opponent clashing in the finale... Unfortunately when I went to face the Min Min she still had full health as she dominated the Kid Cobra she faced.
I really, really wanted to do a 1v1 fight against that player (they were #1 in our Party room, I was #2), but the game never matched us =(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm curious...does more arm girth make it easier for ARMS to be disabled for that character? Like do Kid Cobra's ARMS have more of a hitbox allowing them to be disabled more?
Absolutely, The larger hitbox "works both ways" for all characters.

So it's a benefit if your gloves WIN a punch encounter (Heavy vs Medium, Medium vs Light), and for blocking gloves of equal weight.
It's a detriment if your gloves LOSE a punch encounter (Light vs. Medium, Medium vs. Heavy), and because your arms can be hit independently more easily as you've noted.

Technically he also has the fastest and longest jump too.
Single jump, but Ribbon Girl wins because hers is only one notch below and can be used multiple times in the air obviously.

But yeah. Pure stats wise, he is probably the character with the fewest weaknesses. I put him at the top in the most need of a potential slight nerf (though I love the shit out of him so aww). Ninjara, Mechanica and Barq and Byte those most in potential need of a slight buff.

I do want to reiterate though, there are good counters for everything Kid Cobra can build around, and it's possible to succeed with those "bottom 3" as well.

edit: Sorry, I reread my answer, it totally sounds like I mean he is weak in jumping altogether; I just meant it was a weakness re: Ribbon Girl, who Moondrop menitoned.

If you just look at his stat spread even without comparing it to other characters, it's pretty wild stuff.
5rmiHin.png

Ketch

Why do you put ninjara in the bottom three? I started with him before switching to spring man.

Also, nobody ever talks about spring man but I think he's pretty legit. Perma charge when low is really strong.

Biske

Right? Fuck my life some players are dense.

Like I get that when I stop attacking you or am attacking someone else, it makes me a good target, but if you leave other players sitting around at full health, they are going to win when you are all wasted. I mean god damn.

A 1v1v1v1 I had was great in that it was two separate 1v1s with myself and a Min Min who was fighting another opponent clashing in the finale... Unfortunately when I went to face the Min Min she still had full health as she dominated the Kid Cobra she faced.
I really, really wanted to do a 1v1 fight against that player (they were #1 in our Party room, I was #2), but the game never matched us =(

The best part about 1v1v1 or 1v1v1v1 is when its with someone who just wallopped you and you can get your cheap revenge ganging up on them.

Junahu

I don't think the people in those situations want to win. Rather, they just don't want to be the first one out.

Either that, or they don't know how to switch targets

Biske

I don't think the people in those situations want to win. Rather, they just don't want to be the first one out.

Just happened again, Kid Kobra at below 25%... ah time to finally try and fight that Twinetelle who is at plus 75% oh shit he lost almost right away. Weiiiiiiiiiird.

Based on my experience so far, I'd say it's definitely the target switching thing, though I think that comes down to a mix between not knowing and not wanting to move their thumb.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Why do you put ninjara in the bottom three? I started with him before switching to spring man.

Also, nobody ever talks about spring man but I think he's pretty legit. Perma charge when low is really strong.
Ninjara is my main. I love him, but he doesn't have a good niche and tragically one of his main mechanics is about 50% downside. :( I'll edit in the post I made about him one sec.

edit:
The more I play and get into becoming legit with Ninjara, the more I realize that he is extremely limited and probably underpowered/low-tier :( He's the ultimate newb-merking character in that it's extremely obvious when a player doesn't know wtf is going on and I can just take them apart in seconds, but at advanced levels he is missing a distinct niche that isn't done by someone else better, AND, quite unfortunately, his gimmick with blocking actually becomes a liability in some circumstances and even renders a couple of entire advanced mechanics completely unusable. A player that knows his shtick can essentially outplay him 1v1 in "standard ARMS" (imagine all characters were Byte while Barq is dead), and he has no "trap card" to activate. I very much doubt he will see any high level play. Gahhh!

All that said, I personally still love him and don't care about tiers. And his pink color swap matches Megaton perfectly which I use so I'm never abandoning him ever
okay my Kid Cobra is getting pretty decent though im just saying

I have the least experience with Spring Man. He seems great. The perma charge intimidates the shit out of me still when I see it kick in.

I knew Ninjara was suspect the first time I tried to parry with him and was like "...oh"

I have the least experience with Spring Man. He seems great. The perma charge intimidates the shit out of me still when I see it kick in.

Constantly dashing and deflecting can make him tough to hit, though I'm not entirely sure how to best follow it up. I've been using ramram and triblast for decent coverage as I close distance using dash deflects, and it's been working pretty well. Not sure what the ultimate loadout goal should be.

Moondrop

Banned
On paper I think he's a top tier character and I've been working on him. I'm surprised no one talks about his defensive aura more. It requires a bit of its own rhythm, particularly if you go for auras after empty jumps. But it's safe and pretty generous with its hitbox.

Ninjara is my main. I love him, but he doesn't have a good niche and tragically one of his main mechanics is about 50% downside. :(
I literally made a pro/con list in Excel this past week for every character. Ninjara pro: teleport on block, footspeed. Ninjara con: teleport on block.

And I don't know what to put under con for Spring Man, Twintelle, or Kid Cobra. Wide hurtbox for the latter two?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I knew Ninjara was suspect the first time I tried to parry with him and was like "...oh"
Yeah :(

My Proposed Fix: When the player is guarding and holding Back (directional), hits will trigger the teleport evade. Otherwise (neutral direction) it just does the standard block.

This would both reintegrate those advanced techniques (parry/dash guard cancel and rush guard cancel) and also add to his mind games, "damnit what's he gonna do"-factor, which I think is his intended niche.

Constantly dashing and deflecting can make him tough to hit, though I'm not entirely sure how to best follow it up. I've been using ramram and triblast for decent coverage as I close distance using dash deflects, and it's been working pretty well. Not sure what the ultimate loadout goal should be.
I will say the difference between an uninitiated Spring Man player and one taking full advantage (like you) is maaaassive.

Loadout/build goals is something I am gonna cover as best I can in the tips post I'm working out!

KirbyKid

Absolutely, The larger hitbox "works both ways" for all characters.

So it's a benefit if your gloves WIN a punch encounter (Heavy vs Medium, Medium vs Light), and for blocking gloves of equal weight.
It's a detriment if your gloves LOSE a punch encounter (Light vs. Medium, Medium vs. Heavy), and because your arms can be hit independently more easily as you've noted.

Single jump, but Ribbon Girl wins because hers is only one notch below and can be used multiple times in the air obviously.

But yeah. Pure stats wise, he is probably the character with the fewest weaknesses. I put him at the top in the most need of a potential slight nerf (though I love the shit out of him so aww). Ninjara, Mechanica and Barq and Byte those most in potential need of a slight buff.

I do want to reiterate though, there are good counters for everything Kid Cobra can build around, and it's possible to succeed with those "bottom 3" as well.

edit: Sorry, I reread my answer, it totally sounds like I mean he is weak in jumping altogether; I just meant it was a weakness re: Ribbon Girl, who Moondrop menitoned.

If you just look at his stat spread even without comparing it to other characters, it's pretty wild stuff.

Where are these stats coming from? I'd like more.

I made this twitter account to collect data and the like. https://twitter.com/TW0_ARMS

Ketch

Loadout/build goals is something I am gonna cover as best I can in the tips post I'm working out!

I run sparky/cracker on spring man. If you can see your parry is going to connect you get such a strong punish with sparky grab or rush combo. And if you aren't anticipating a successful parry you still have enough time to punish with cracker. For a 3rd option I run ram ram to deal with pillars and getting around certain matchups, spammers and heavy arms.

The cherry on top is that all of these arms have very strong charge attacks and good rushes too.

CPCunha

Brought the Switch to a friends place yesterday and introduced like 7 people to Arms. They all like games, but no one there was into fighting games... so there was a bit of eye rolling when i was setting it up.

...4 hours later they were all cheering for matches and trading tech they picked up... smiles all around. I think i sold 2-3 switches yesterday. Damn Nintendo, you're good.

Hawkian, what are Helix's stats? And I'm curious to hear an in depth response that details your opinion on the character like you did for Ninjara and Cobra.

From both an ordinary and high level perspective if possible, please.

jts

...hate me...
Brought the Switch to a friends place yesterday and introduced like 7 people to Arms. They all like games, but no one there was into fighting games... so there was a bit of eye rolling when i was setting it up.

...4 hours later they were all cheering for matches and trading tech they picked up... smiles all around. I think i sold 2-3 switches yesterday. Damn Nintendo, you're good.

That's pretty cool.

Motion controls or buttons?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Is this worth it if I just want to play through the story?

Yeah there is no story. Unless you have real people to play with or want to do a lot of online MP.

I think fighting the computer is pretty fun, but I think it would get old without my playing the game with others.

That's awesome! What controller setup was everyone using?

CPCunha

That's pretty cool.

Motion controls or buttons?

All motion... they asked about buttons and i told them "you're about to learn something new... try out motion first" and they all fell in love with it. They started with regular fights, played a BUNCH and decided to try other modes. When i thought they were about to end the night one of them "lets go back to fights!" and off they went.

Awesome night.

RedFury

Need to be longer like this:

(ง’̀-‘́)σσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσσง
I dont like it to be honest.
needs more girth

Building super on whiff is still super weird to me. Sometimes you have situations where both players back off and spam attacks to build meter. It's just awkward, and I'm not sure why it works this way. Maybe if supers were ineffective enough for the game to hand them out for no effort, but they're really not.

Actually, they're kinda godlike. You're pretty locked down if the opponent has it. The damage is fine, but that it's a punish and an instant cancel at the same time is really overbearing. It's tough to screw up if you react to the opponent doing pretty much...anything (landing, attacking with anything but the fastest arms with just the right spacing, etc). And they cancel any mistimed input into a rush that deals some chip, and heck, might even break their shield if you're lucky.
Feels a little too free.

Building super on whiff is still super weird to me. Sometimes you have situations where both players back off and spam attacks to build meter. It's just awkward, and I'm not sure why it works this way. Maybe if supers were ineffective enough for the game to hand them out for no effort, but they're really not.

Actually, they're kinda godlike. You're pretty locked down if the opponent has it. The damage is fine, but that it's a punish and an instant cancel at the same time is really overbearing. It's tough to screw up if you react to the opponent doing pretty much...anything (landing, attacking with anything but the fastest arms with just the right spacing, etc). And they cancel any mistimed input into a rush that deals some chip, and heck, might even break their shield if you're lucky.
Feels a little too free.

Yeah it feels like he blue shell or lightning from Mario Kart.

Something that rewards bad play, but the really good players can still get around it.

People can play sloppy, whiff, line themselves up to get hit, and then counter those hits while canceling out of their whiff into a detrimental attack.

thedan001

Good games everyone. I have to train more.

Was fun, thanks for the friend add

I've been slowly building a habit of aiming for the opponent's arms instead of trying to go on offensive

It's been working very well for rank 12+, provided you keep up with your dodges/dashes and the mind games involved, most of the ranked ppl aren't expecting me disabling their arms repeatedly, it's funny

Disabled arm = no dash or block, and 1 arm left to punch for safety, easy set up for combos with your arms (light + charged attack for 150~200 damage) it adds up

Hawkian, do you know anything about how long the hidden hp the arms have before they regen? I know when they fall down, their arms aren't recovered. I would really like to know this. It has a huge aspect to competitive battles

Something that rewards bad play, but the really good players can still get around it.
They're extremely hard to get around. If you jump, you're probably getting super'd. If you attack without the right arm and spacing, you're probably getting super'd. And that also goes for counterattacks in response to a bad attack by the opponent, as rush cancels everything instantly.

You can "avoid" them by doing relatively nothing, but that only works if you have a life lead. And neither player is having fun when one of them is forced to just sit there.

mstevens

Finally giving rank 4 a real shot and I actually got to the 7th match without dying once.. but I cannot beat Ninjara. The input reading, perfect timing teleports are such BS.

(Using dragon, crackers, and ramram btw with Min Min) Crackers have worked well so far, but he's way too scary close range to mess with him the way I did the other opponents. Dragon works a bit towards the beginning of the fight, but once he closes the distance he doesn't let me get away.

Biggad

Neo Member
Wait a minute, theres different stats for arm girth? As in throwing bigger hitboxes? Beyond Mummy. Where do they come from indeed, though.

That being said, it sometimes legitimately feels impossible to hit someone when theyre just dashing to one side back to back to back to ... my arms never reach the area of my opponent, as if theyre in some dead zone. maybe I'm not answering with the right movement option as well in my attempts to hit them out of their dashing (trying both during and after their dashes), but I feel like I've tried everything and nothing feels right against it. It's my biggest gripe with the game at this point, not being able to guarantee yourself a hit even when you 100% know whats going to happen next. That could possibly change when people get better, but I'm worried.

Wait a minute, theres different stats for arm girth? As in throwing bigger hitboxes? Beyond Mummy. Where do they come from indeed, though.

That being said, it sometimes legitimately feels impossible to hit someone when theyre just dashing to one side back to back to back to ... my arms never reach the area of my opponent, as if theyre in some dead zone. maybe I'm not answering with the right movement option as well in my attempts to hit them out of their dashing (trying both during and after their dashes), but I feel like I've tried everything and nothing feels right against it. It's my biggest gripe with the game at this point, not being able to guarantee yourself a hit even when you 100% know whats going to happen next. That could possibly change when people get better, but I'm worried.

Side-attacking arms like ramram are useful for these situations. They can easily dash right into them.

Biggad

Neo Member
Yeah that's what I'm thinking but slapamander doesnt work either. Seems really weird as well Because I know that can't at all be how it is

Top Bottom