• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah it's real, you can do a lot of cool stuff with joycons between matches. I usually wave hello, you can nod, some move back and forth, and when I go double slapamander I move my hands like a snake. The gyro detection is really impressive.
Joycons are such impressive little kits.

mstevens

Joycons are such impressive little kits.

Thanks again for the tips the other day. Finally beat Grand Prix rank 4 today. Surprisingly I one shotted most fights, including Ribbon Girl who was giving me so much grief before. Ninjara took a ton of attempts because of input reading, teleport, grab spam. Still need to learn a way to deal with it. Ended up just being cheap with dragons. Hedlock took only two tries.

I learned that most of the AI (besides Hedlock) can't really handle the crackers.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
How do I properly use my... Erm... Super? I bust it out and hit somebody...then I just spam the buttons?

When in replay mode is there a way to remove the names and health meters so they're not in my screenshot?

Edit: yes, it's the plus or minus button 🙃

I've been screenshotting wrong all this time.

jdstorm

Banned
Thinking about picking this up but only have one set of Joycons. Do you need two sets to play local 2 player multi?

No. There is a single joycon control scheme.

In saying that. It is a far superior experience if you have 2 sets of Joycons, so buy a 2nd set when you can afford to.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
How do I properly use my... Erm... Super? I bust it out and hit somebody...then I just spam the buttons?

I'm not a Pro Tier player or anything but here's what I've noticed:

You have two options against a Rush:

1. Block the whole thing
2. Evade repeatedly around the attack

So, what I've noticed is this, if you're in the air, you can't do #1. What this means is the best time to pop a Super is when you're opponent is jumping, because they can't block in the Air.

That also means the reverse is true: When your opponent has Super meter, you should stop jumping. Wait until they use their meter, but give yourself options by staying on the ground so you can block if they use their Super.

... So yeah, that's my Amateur Tip. Other than that you can Super through someone's attack so wait until they attack you or they have both Arms out so they can't block.

No Love

Banned
Just got a Perfect on GP7 Byte+Barq first time fighting him. That was way easier than GP5 Byte+Barq

Edit: GP7 Spring Man is a joke too. Just got a Perfect on him too

Smidget

I believe you can play two players with two joycons. I might be wrong, tho.

No. There is a single joycon control scheme.

In saying that. It is a far superior experience if you have 2 sets of Joycons, so buy a 2nd set when you can afford to.

Thanks guys. I see Target has the yellow ones up... maybe.... or the amount my wife will play... maybe not.

Are all games at this point able to be played 2 players on a single set of Joycons even if it isn't preferred?

jts

...hate me...
Rush™

Pretty much that. You bust it out and then start spamming punches before your opponent has time to shield up.

The most important part is to make sure it lands. It can be shielded against or players can also avoid it by dashing sideways or backwards. If avoided sideways you can get exposed for a punch or grab, which will cancel the rush.

To consider: if a player has a busted arm, the shield will not hold the whole time so some damage will be done even if he can shield up on time.

Usually it's a good time to deploy it when your opponent is throwing a punch at you. The rush will go right through, the player can't shield, and most of the times it will connect well.

I believe you can play two players with two joycons. I might be wrong, tho.
Yep, absolutely can.

jdstorm

Banned
Thanks guys. I see Target has the yellow ones up... maybe.... or the amount my wife will play... maybe not.

Are all games at this point able to be played 2 players on a single set of Joycons even if it isn't preferred?

I'd say wait on the second pair. You and your wife can both try out the motion controlled option individually via singleplayer to see if it is right for you.

Edit: It will vary from game to game, but most games will likely have a single joycon option.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

I think its standard for all multiplayer game to be played on a single JoyCon. I can't think of a single Switch game where it's required two pairs of Joycons.

I think this game is pretty alright on a single Joycon. If nothing else: it's SIMPLE to understand. I've given a single JoyCon to new players and just told them "A and B" punch and they figure it out from there. On the second round I'll explain blocking and rushing, and finally explain Dash and Jump.

It works.

Berordn

So is it just me, or is the CPU absurdly good at using heavy characters? I can generally hold my own online, but CPU Mechanica or Mummy can somehow move faster than I can while hitting harder than I can, with no recoil.

sirap

I fucking love grab spammers. Free rank points tbh. I'm surprised to see Rank 8> players still relying on that tactic.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks again for the tips the other day. Finally beat Grand Prix rank 4 today. Surprisingly I one shotted most fights, including Ribbon Girl who was giving me so much grief before. Ninjara took a ton of attempts because of input reading, teleport, grab spam. Still need to learn a way to deal with it. Ended up just being cheap with dragons. Hedlock took only two tries.
That is great man. Congrats!

I suggest immediately going back into GP4 and this time trying some different Arms and see if you can pin down what you really like. You may be amazed how much you've improved just from going through once and knowing what to expect.
I learned that most of the AI (besides Hedlock) can't really handle the crackers.[/QUOTE]

I'm not a Pro Tier player or anything but here's what I've noticed:

1. Block the whole thing

So, what I've noticed is this, if you're in the air, you can't do #1. What this means is the best time to pop a Super is when you're opponent is jumping, because they can't block in the Air.

That also means the reverse is true: When your opponent has Super meter, you should stop jumping. Wait until they use their meter, but give yourself options by staying on the ground so you can block if they use their Super.

... So yeah, that's my Amateur Tip. Other than that you can Super through someone's attack so wait until they attack you or they have both Arms out so they can't block.
This is excellent advice all around!

Also Rushes are determined by your Arm Class, the kind of rush you get has nothing to do with your character or individual Arm choice (except the total damage it will do), and there are some BIG variations (compare Megaton to Popper to Seekie).

1. Block the whole thing

A good player who sees you side-dodge a rush will pause momentarily, strafe to match your direction and reorient the camera towards you, and hit you on the second volley before the rush has finished.

You have to keep an eye out for this, because in this case (from what I've seen) the better option is to side-dodge and block. Since only the second half of the rush will hit the block, you shouldn't have to worry about the shield breaking even if your arms have taken some hits. I picked this up myself from people who defended against my rushes this way in Ranked.

Also, against rushes or regular hits, be very careful against explosive weapons like the missiles (Homie and Seekie). It's an easy mistake to release your guard too early and get knocked down by the post-contact explosion.

Ogodei

Trick i learned with Mechanica vs Ninjara was to go with double Recharger (or whatever that multi-shot missile weapon is), hover as much as possible at a distance and keep spamming them, one of them would either catch him or catch his arm when charged and put him off balance.

Then i went back to GP3 with Kid Cobra and struggled mightily. Don't understand him at all.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
DKL just blew my mind apart with something he saw in the stream of Japanese players playing locally, they would only counter grabs with grabs if their opponent has a full rush meter. When you break a throw with a grab, both of your hands retract together at the same time and you can immediately guard (so if they super you'll block it). If you punch through the grab, even if they take the hit you're open to the Rush punish. When opponents don't have super, the punch grab break is better. :eek:

If you click more details it says till 1030pm. Not sure what time zone that means, but I'm EST. Looks like I'm going to bed, and I had just warmed up enough to try out ranked for the first time :(

It probably means 1030 est for us then, oh well i was in a match with infamous and it was starting to heat up.

DKL just blew my mind apart with something he saw in the stream of Japanese players playing locally, they would only counter grabs with grabs if their opponent has a full rush meter. When you break a throw with a grab, both of your hands retract together at the same time and you can immediately guard (so if they super you'll block it). If you punch through the grab, even if they take the hit you're open to the Rush punish. When opponents don't have super, the punch grab break is better. :eek:

Ah, so that's how you deal with it. On the offensive, I've been baiting punches with grab when I'm ready to rush, as I'm still facing players who all fall for it (and it's a good way to open up the AI as well when playing solo). If the attacking player uses a rush to cancel the offensive grab before your defensive grab makes contact, though, wouldn't the rush still hit you through your counter-grab before you can block?

Game works great in handheld mode, but whenever I do motion controls or play with the grip, I feel like it doesn't work. The first time I assumed my joy cons didn't work properly, but then shouldn't that also be the case when I'm playing in handheld mode.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The stream isn't great but hopefully I can improve fps/stability to have it in a good place for GAF tourneys at least.

Come join if you want to see us just messing around and Gore going nuts after having not played the game all weekend lol.
Ah, so that's how you deal with it. On the offensive, I've been baiting punches with grab when I'm ready to rush, as I'm still facing players who all fall for it (and it's a good way to open up the AI as well when playing solo). If the attacking player uses a rush to cancel the offensive grab before your defensive grab makes contact, though, wouldn't the rush still hit you through your counter-grab before you can block?
I am not 100% positive but think you are correct.

You are talking about the highest levels of strategic and thumbskill play here, for me doing any of the above is not guaranteed once let alone every time you have the opportunity.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
SW-7213-1024-2545

I'll play with GAF as well. Need good folks to play against.

How does one join in?

Looks fun lol.

This is pretty sweet

Here is my Friend code anyone can add me, but I can't accept while hosting the stream 2045-4745-9999.

Anyone who wants to play in GAF lobbies (and even getting your ass pummeled can be fun), I suggest joining the discord or Twitch chat when streaming.

Here is my Friend code anyone can add me, but I can't accept while hosting the stream 2045-4745-9999.

Anyone who wants to play in GAF lobbies (and even getting your ass pummeled can be fun), I suggest joining the discord or Twitch chat when streaming.

If anyone wants to fight my Helix lemme know

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
pretty sweet to just get this as a free patch on a sunday night. I do hope they figure out how to make larger lobbies viable though.

edit: sorry about my connection, trying to wire up the switch as we speak...

Top Bottom