• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

The guardian arm is maybe the most annoying one.

For you to play with or fight against or both?

I never get to fight anyone who can use it even slightly competently online yet (or at all really), I'd love to experience it from the other side.
Though I've become a skatepark hater in the past few days because my Guardian doesn't stay out when on top of one of the gliders, so it messes everything up.

It's interesting how a week ago when I was using it how I didn't understand it whatsoever, now I'm getting to grips with it and I don't want to play with any other arm haha

Biske

In the grand scheme of things, neither the character nor ARMS matter, it's the player behind it all. That's no insult to you, EVERYONE, including myself, could always use improvement. I know something common people do is strip the game to the very basics with Spring man or B&B with basic gloves like toasters and end up forcing themselves against many match ups and scenarios like that until they become good at it in general. Once they've got the fundamentals down, when they finally come back to the characters and arms they want, they'll be new and improved and a brand new person.

This is assuming you're seeking self improvement of course.

It's a mix of me having a shitty sucking slump.

A mix of actually literally hating the way ARMS get unlocked, there are lots of combinations I want to try on a character but I cant gut plus arms unlock instead.

Its a mix of fighting Ribbon Girl and Min Min over and over gets old.

And a mix of so many fights being "dodge to the side constantly" Gets a little dull.

For you to play with or fight against or both?

I never get to fight anyone who can use it even slightly competently online yet (or at all really), I'd love to experience it from the other side.
Though I've become a skatepark hater in the past few days because my Guardian doesn't stay out when on top of one of the gliders, so it messes everything up.

It's interesting how a week ago when I was using it how I didn't understand it whatsoever, now I'm getting to grips with it and I don't want to play with any other arm haha

To fight against, I cant play with it on most fighters cause its not unlocked. But when fighting, you get the block and its like... ah god this thing again. And blocks stuff so well, its jarring.

Master Mummy level 6 Grand Prix can go fuck himself.

I am seriously terrible at the characters when they don't flinch after being hit, and those stupid fucking ball arms.

To fight against, I cant play with it on most fighters cause its not unlocked. But when fighting, you get the block and its like... ah god this thing again. And blocks stuff so well, its jarring.

Haha I hear ya, it can have an intimidating quality to it when it's played right, otherwise most people just try to flank me but I've learned to anticipate this and punish it. Then they try to go over it, I can punish this too if I'm fast enough.
Before when I was playing with it I was so easily out manuevered and punched and grabbed, so I had to learn how to stop those attacks first from the faster players.

I just ran into Helix on Ranked that does what you do Gore with the tower mode constant moving back and forth, but he was not you and thus I stood a chance haha

I've always been an aggressive player and the defensiveness of the Guardian works well for me when I'm constantly getting in my opponents face, players who keep their distance annoy the fuck out of me, but it's smart I suppose 🙄😂

Ketch

I feel like as I'm ranking up the Ram Ram is getting so much more value. I run into a lot of people who constantly side dash or want to use big slow arms. So instead of just using it on pillar maps it's kind of just becoming my go to against bigger characters like mechanica, twintelle, and helix.... basically anyone that's not quick and jumpy.

I'm kind of always sticking to sparky on the right hand, and I'm not sure if I should try something else there instead.

Neoxon

Electric arms are usually the slowest in class, triblast is slower than tribolt.
Oh, I meant Tribolt. I though the Triblast was Spring Man's. Here's my current set-up.

DDL7ckAUwAAdXeh

random25

So I tried playing ARMS using motion controls since the test punch...and I suck at it lol. I can beat level 4 CPUs at most.

It's a good exercise though. I sweat a good amount in an hour of playing. Or maybe I just exerted too much arm movement.

Grakl

In the grand scheme of things, neither the character nor ARMS matter, it's the player behind it all. That's no insult to you, EVERYONE, including myself, could always use improvement. I know something common people do is strip the game to the very basics with Spring man or B&B with basic gloves like toasters and end up forcing themselves against many match ups and scenarios like that until they become good at it in general. Once they've got the fundamentals down, when they finally come back to the characters and arms they want, they'll be new and improved and a brand new person.

This is assuming you're seeking self improvement of course.
You're absurd, tier lists exist for every fighting game and they exist for this one, especially with how different the arms are

You're absurd, tier lists exist for every fighting game and they exist for this one, especially with how different the arms are

You get better by improving yourself not because you rely on the mechanics of the character. In my experience Gore is good because he is adaptive at a faster pace than others first and foremost. He isn't saying tier lists don't exist.

Ketch

tier list matter even less in this game because there's no move list.

It's much harder for a specific character to take advantage of something they alone have

tier list matter even less in this game because there's no move list.

It's much harder for a specific character to take advantage of something they alone have

You get better by improving yourself not because you rely on the mechanics of the character. In my experience Gore is good because he is adaptive at a faster pace than others first and foremost. He isn't saying tier lists don't exist.

This.

I love this game because it's less mechanical and more mental.

You don't particularly have to worry about getting hit thirty something times in a combo and lose all your health because you messed up once and you were just a goner from there. Obviously if you mess up you'll still be punished but in battle it's all about recognizing patterns and weaknesses in a SPECIFIC opponent and how THEY use that character. I know in other games, at least at a relatively competitive level and sometimes not even, you practically HAVE to use a character a certain way to remain effective, meanwhile in here you can see offensive/defensive Mummies, Min Min's and more! Long range, mid range, speed, priority, it's all so different and it's all about having to quickly analyze both your foe and the mistakes you yourself are making, like Jorpen acknowledging he "makes that mistake every single fucking time" against Lucifer in his stream. And I love that because it becomes less about you being able to press a bunch of buttons in a specific way to win but more about you using what's given to you and getting better from the ground up. There's no determined way to do anything, the time I played with the whole roster to prove Helix and my arms aren't why I'm winning, I was described as "using every character completely differently" and yet it still worked! A Min Min that would stay in your face and not let up? Unheard of! It's more about actually processing and intellect and situational awareness and overall a bunch of other characteristics that I appreciate and value more then being able to do a series of things quickly. When I lose I'm able to look back on multiple occasions where I was outplayed and it's all fair, I never felt like someone merely killed me because of "that one combo" that I'll just never have the reflexes to either perform myself or react to.

I hope that all makes sense.

Helix's hit box fuckery is pretty unique though.

It's not any more or less possible to overcome that though.

Kudo

Kid Cobra is damn hard to get a hit in, his jump is fastest in the game and that gives double rush dash once landing.
I try to aim for when he is still in air = he drops from air faster than punch reaches him or just dodges it with his air dodge.
I try to aim for the moment he is landing = he lands and gets out of the way like nobody seen before and punishes me for trying.
His gloves are so huge too I'm getting nightmares now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dude, my arms have always been super weak, and they are feeling very heavy these last few days. Give it a month and this game will help my arms get into their best shape in my life.

So I tried playing ARMS using motion controls since the test punch...and I suck at it lol. I can beat level 4 CPUs at most.

It's a good exercise though. I sweat a good amount in an hour of playing. Or maybe I just exerted too much arm movement.
:)

I may be working on a post for those interested in pursuing Arms as a fitness activity.

random25

I'm currently stuck in Rank 6 as Twintelle. Any advice?

Twintelle is an in-your-face fighter. Playing up close is her biggest advantage due to her slow down mechanic. Having an unpredictable slow down timing to make opponents hesitate to pull punches, and that lets you see your opponent's move and you can counter it immediately.

Neoxon

Twintelle is an in-your-face fighter. Playing up close is her biggest advantage due to her slow down mechanic. Having an unpredictable slow down timing to make opponents hesitate to pull punches, and that lets you see your opponent's move and you can counter it immediately.
Noted, thanks

You know Nintendo is quite smart for having a tournament for kids in Japan.

I hope it translate into sales because I really want this game to have a sequel in the future because the gameplay for the current product is really polished.

Chauzu

:)

I may be working on a post for those interested in pursuing Arms as a fitness activity.

What I do:

- Be active during matches, actually do the movements properly, this also ensures there is no weird movement with the motion control so win-win
- Between matches, work the feet, jog while standing still for example, maybe do some arm stretches too
- Wipe of sweat while holding joycons so you can see your char in game do the same and thus bond with them
- Drink plenty of water!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I showed my nephew a few matches of the game and let him play a bit while on this trip (he attempted to use Gore's Helix strategy in party mode and got his ass handed to him despite my warnings it wasn't that easy xD). Being able to instantly convert the joycons into makeshift gamepads is just pure awesome, though I was most interested in showing him the motion controls.

He spent literally the rest of the trip asking me questions and theorycrafting character builds and shaking his head in disbelief every time I said "well, actually that's a little more complicated..." He just couldn't get enough.

He's whip smart too. He's really into gaming and loved the idea that this was deeper than Nintendo presented it before release. Haha at one point I was talking about how the community is still discovering all this crap and we were all thrown for a loop by the Arm girth thing, and I told him that it affected the hitboxes of the arms, but it still didn't make perfect sense because some characters had the same Arm Girth but didn't wind up with quite the same speeds/etc. and I swear to good he goes, "well wouldn't the bigger characters have bigger hitboxes to start with?" Fuckin' A. I gotta make sure this kid doesn't start using his powers for evil.
- Wipe of sweat while holding joycons so you can see your char in game do the same and thus bond with them
This is fantastic

jts

...hate me...
Playtime just unlocked for me, 25 hours of ARMS. Not bad for the first 10 days 😅

MK8D is at 20 (got it at launch) for comparison.

Kudo

Is this actually real or are you kidding me? Think I need to start training with Joycons asap, great tool for workouts for sure, the sessions I've had have me covered in sweat so I've opted to playing Pro Controller usually.

mstevens

Finally beat rank 4. Probably never touching grand prix again.

Headlock wasn't too bad with dragons. Ninjara was still by far the hardest part.

Even with motion controls?

Certain arms can be aimed upward by pulling down on the stick or the motion controls (walk backward position). I don't believe this is a universal trait for all arms. Jumping grabs from close range are probably the most dangerous type of grab, but can be countered by jumping yourself and punching, or a well-timed dodge.

Chauzu

Is this actually real or are you kidding me? Think I need to start training with Joycons asap, great tool for workouts for sure, the sessions I've had have me covered in sweat so I've opted to playing Pro Controller usually.

Yeah it's real, you can do a lot of cool stuff with joycons between matches. I usually wave hello, you can nod, some move back and forth, and when I go double slapamander I move my hands like a snake. The gyro detection is really impressive.

Oh crap! I just realized that play time should be unlocked for me once I'm home, but I spent the last three days on a trip, I'll add 24 hours to it assuming I played it for 8 hours each of the three days I wasn't able to and even then that's pretty conservative. I'll update you once I check

I'm also adding test punch hours so it's already +20, maybe I won't add the other time though.

mstevens

Oh crap! I just realized that play time should be unlocked for me once I'm home, but I spent the last three days on a trip, I'll add 24 hours to it assuming I played it for 8 hours each of the three days I wasn't able to and even then that's pretty conservative. I'll update you once I check

I'm also adding test punch hours so it's already +20, maybe I won't add the other time though.

Play time keeps track when you're offline and then adds when you finally connect.

My friend was at 40 hours on zelda for a week, connected and then was at 65 hours.

hao chi

I loved the Test Punches, but the more I play the full game, the more I think I don't like it. There's just a lot of things about the game that seem really inconsistent or are handled poorly. This really bums me out too, because I was really excited for this game.

zenspider

Is there any basic guides to this game available? I can't read through 100 pages of posts lol.

I loved the test punch, but I feel like I'm missing the fundamentals. When I think I have openings, like an opponent recovering from spammed fists, they're punch still comes out first and stuffs mine or my grab attempt.

I don't understand the insta-counter - I just get a little dash, and again, opponents recover and trade or beat my shot.

Because of this, I don't get how to be active in the neutral without a gimmick like Twintelle's timestop ot absorbing hits with Mechanica or Mummy.

I love how this game plays, but I'm bouncing off because I can't grasp the fundamentals, and I'm losing the feeling of freedom because everything feels so situational and trying be mindful and deliberate in matches just puts me on the backfoot.

Help me GAF!

Is there any basic guides to this game available? I can't read through 100 pages of posts lol.

I loved the test punch, but I feel like I'm missing the fundamentals. When I think I have openings, like an opponent recovering from spammed fists, they're punch still comes out first and stuffs mine or my grab attempt.

I don't understand the insta-counter - I just get a little dash, and again, opponents recover and trade or beat my shot.

Because of this, I don't get how to be active in the neutral without a gimmick like Twintelle's timestop ot absorbing hits with Mechanica or Mummy.

I love how this game plays, but I'm bouncing off because I can't grasp the fundamentals, and I'm losing the feeling of freedom because everything feels so situational and trying be mindful and deliberate in matches just puts me on the backfoot.

Help me GAF!

Yeah, same for me.

Help

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Help me GAF!
Yeah, same for me.

Help
I'd consider the insta-counter/parry an advanced technique- not critical to early play and not something you need to master before beginning to improve your skill.

Better to get a handle on first would be:

The arms weight classes, being able to recognize if what you're going up against is light/medium/heavy
The way to throw the arms you're going to use to get them to do what you want
What kind of playstyle you want to work toward and how your character/arms selection will help you get there

Take a look at this FAQ/guide. The suggested progression within will help a lot with the natural understanding of the stuff in your second paragraph and you WILL see improvements if you exhibit mastery over each GP before moving on to the next.

Help me GAF!

Yeah, same for me.

Help
https://www.primagames.com/games/arms/coverage/arms-guide-strategies-and-unlockables-nintendo-switch

Top Bottom