• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Finally finished all seven levels of the Grand Prix! It's kind of fascinating to think back about how much I struggled to get through Level 3/4 when the game first came out, and then today I was able to get through 6 and 7 without too much effort. Playing in the GAF lobbies and doing ranked matches really taught me a lot and helped me become a better player, and this is evidence of that.

but yeah, I'm pretty proud of myself for accomplishing this. I did it all with my usual Twintelle loadout (Seekie+ and Popper) and never switched to try to make things any easier. Not that there's anything wrong with using a more optimal set-up for certain characters; it was just kind of fun for me to try to figure out how to make my preferred set-up work in different situations!

Grats Felix! I still haven't gone past 5!

I am going to finish up clearing 4 with every character/default arms first up and then go through 6 and 7 with Ninjara. :)

tried playing while really tired... with expected rsults

Yeah. really takes the fun away to see something like a ribbon girl spending the last ten seconds jumping around

This is actually a great thing about Master Mummy, one way to combat this especially if its a really close game, the other usually a Ribbon Girl, or Kid Cobra will stay on the other side of the arena, I will just sit and charge my health up, and force them to come for me, with heavy gloves so when they go in for the grab I punch through their grab and smack em in the face up the middle.

I think I'm way too casual for this. I play about 10 rounds every other night and maybe win 1 match.

I wish there was a more fulfilling single player mode somehow because this shit is just demeaning.

Seik

Banned
Showed the game to a friend and we had a blast in party mode and doing a 2P GP lvl4.

Still can't wrap my head around lvl 5+ where the very first fight feels like the CPU reads your inputs and reacts almost perfectly, like reaching that 2nd/3rd fight in Mortal Kombat arcades back then.

ASIS

This game in local multiplayer is something else entirely. 3 player matches are so chaotic and fun! Did not expect this at all.

Just bought this, should be here in a few days. I really hope this scratches my punch-out itch, i love games like that.

It's not like punch out at all though.

It's much better

thefro

Finally decided to give Rank 4 a go.

Ninjara gave me more trouble than the bosses. Reminded me of being a kid and trying to beat the arcade mode of SFII on normal.

Credits theme is amazing.

No Love

Banned
Oh god, Ninjara on Grand Prix difficulty 7 is a nightmare

He's worse on GP6 for some reason. But here's how you beat him: throw a punch, he will Dodge and disappear into smoke, and have your next punch ready to go as he doesn't go very far and you can usually nail him as he appears. Don't even bother using slow ARMS. Also, do not attempt to grab. He will almost always counter with a grab.

Neiteio

I'm really enjoying single-player Versus. Just me vs. one, two or three CPUs (lv. 4). No time limit. I mix it up with Hoops every now and then. Just great pick-up-and-play fun.

I'm very satisfied with my online performance so far. I managed to get from Rank 6 to Rank 9 with little issue.

Learning how important retreating is, instead of just side-stepping, has really helped me out. I'm also getting a lot better at reading my opponents.

As far as single-player goes, I only have Twintelle left to beat GP7 with. Unfortunately, still no Dragon ARMS for her despite playing the ARMS Getter like a dozen times. At least I'm like 9 or 10 ARMS away from completing Spring Man, including duplicates. Once that is done I'll play the ARMS Getter as Twintelle.

random25

I finally complete all GP level 7! Playing vanilla Mechanica for my final run was a bit of a challenge, with most as time outs but damn destroying Hedlok by playing aggressive double revolver was so satisfying while being hard as hell.

It seems like I have gotten a bit better on when to use my dash and jumps accordingly.

I just need to get a bit better at my aim with my ARMS.

Finally decided to jump in this evening after following this thread for a while; only got to play for about half an hour but I'm liking it so far! I did see that Hawkian put together a big beginners guide (as he has done for another game in the past c;) on one of the past pages, but I can't find it anymore. Does anyone have a link to that handy?

Looking forward to eventually getting online with you folks!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Finally decided to jump in this evening after following this thread for a while; only got to play for about half an hour but I'm liking it so far! I did see that Hawkian put together a big beginners guide (as he has done for another game in the past c;) on one of the past pages, but I can't find it anymore. Does anyone have a link to that handy?

Looking forward to eventually getting online with you folks!
Hi I'm someone! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=241267668&postcount=3801

Also everybody stay tuned for a couple posts about the Arms themselves coming soon... filled with lots of delicious data if you're into that. Followed by an advanced tips post probably tomorrow.

NateDrake

I've been having strange lag issues since the patch hit. I'm watching punches go through my opponents and things that normally connect aren't doing so anymore.

So now that it's been out for a little, where do you all stand on the controller methods?

Which do you prefer, motion or buttons and why?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So now that it's been out for a little, where do you all stand on the controller methods?

Motion!

Ashamed to say that at this point I'm handicapped if I have to use traditional, feels weird but yeah.

This game is fantastic. I picked it up on launch day and only played casually until today. I just wasn't getting it. Today, it finally clicked and I've been playing all night. Still haven't chosen a main, but trying out all the different characters to find one has been a lot of fun.

Alright! So! Finally got the time and I now know from the base game I've played 105 hours after 10 days, if you add 20 from the test punch it's 125, and if you add 24 from the days I wasn't able to play of my own volition it would've been 149 hours.

AGoodODST

Been busy due to a new job. But payday is here so treated myself to this. Been dying to try it out as I missed the test fire.

It's undoubtedly been asked a million times in this thread but to save me searching back as I'm lazy how do the standard controls hold up compared to motion?

Alright! So! Finally got the time and I now know from the base game I've played 105 hours after 10 days, if you add 20 from the test punch it's 125, and if you add 24 from the days I wasn't able to play of my own volition it would've been 149 hours.

Just turned on my Switch specifically to check my time and everyone else's on my list. I'm at 30+ (and was at 10+ for the Testpunch), which is more than I expected. Since I was playing with motion 100% of the time I did set a hard limit on how much I'd play per day, or so I thought, to avoid wearing myself out. (And without giving anything away, that clearly didn't stop Hawkian...)

Moondrop

Banned
Forget input reading- I swear the CPU just read the impending spawn of healing juice.

Just watched back on replay to confirm. GP lvl 4 Mechanica on outer edge of stage, suddenly dodges three times in succession to center. Heal spawns on top of her.

hatchx

Banned

Motion.

I don't mind the button layout, but you just can't move and curve your punches at the same time. So if you an opponent are circle straffing each other, you can't really throw a punch curving towards where the opponent is moving, and situations like that where curving is the difference between a hit or miss.

Would love to hear how Buttons supporters get around this.

Motion.

I don't mind the button layout, but you just can't move and curve your punches at the same time. So if you an opponent are circle straffing each other, you can't really throw a punch curving towards where the opponent is moving, and situations like that where curving is the difference between a hit or miss.

we don't, but i can't play motion, i'm just shit at it, i'm way better with the controller and win a lot of matches like that... maybe i'll end up loosing later in ranked because of that, but im fine with it

i just try to aim more carefully

LotusHD

Banned

Buttons, largely because I underestimated just how much I prefer playing in handheld mode instead of having it docked. Of course the kickstand is an option too, but meh.

Zedark

I prefer buttons, since it allows for more precise dodging and jumping, and I have learned pretty well how to curve arms with the analoge stick, so that aspect is no longer as much ofan advantage for motion players as it used to be.

LordKano

Is it normal if I feel like I'm really bad at this ? Like, I was wrecking everyone during testpunch, and here I thought I could deal with lvl 4 IA from the start but I barely could damage the opponent. I beat lvl4 once with Ribbon Girl but I lost countless times in the process.

I'm not even thinking about going online until I clear lvl4 Grand Prix with every character.

Chauzu

I prefer buttons, since it allows for more precise dodging and jumping, and I have learned pretty well how to curve arms with the analoge stick, so that aspect is no longer as much ofan advantage for motion players as it used to be.

Well I've reached the level where I can do the same movements on button and motion control, so whenever I play buttons now I feel limited by not having control of the arms seperately. It is useful in so many scenarios.

luchadork

i fucking LOVE this game. the gameplay is so deep. just spent an hour in rank rematching the same guy over and over again. wish there was voice chat so i could thank them for the awesome games.

MDave

Motion.

You can't move and punch at the same time with motion either. Your character comes to a stop when you throw a punch, and only starts moving again until the arm is fully extended. You have the same limitations as sticks when it comes to movement. The stick limitations come from when you have both arms out and you cant curve both independently. But that dosn't matter a whole lot because the second arm you have punched out is the dominant one you have out for a reason most of the time (they dodged first punch or first punch was bait). Then you only really need to worry about curving for the last punch you threw out.

Is it normal if I feel like I'm really bad at this ? Like, I was wrecking everyone during testpunch, and here I thought I could deal with lvl 4 IA from the start but I barely could damage the opponent. I beat lvl4 once with Ribbon Girl but I lost countless times in the process.

I'm not even thinking about going online until I clear lvl4 Grand Prix with every character.

I'm in the same boat

Steamrolled during Test Punch but immediately started getting my ass handed to me in final Party Mode, lol

jts

...hate me...
Hedlok spam grabbers are the most aggravating thing.

Sometimes they grab Hedlok when a Rush is being delivered. Please Nintendo, figure out a way I can give abuse to these people. It's not healthy to hold back!

jdstorm

Banned
Hedlok spam grabbers are the most aggravating thing.

Sometimes they grab Hedlok when a Rush is being delivered. Please Nintendo, figure out a way I can give abuse to these people. It's not healthy to hold back!

Even if they are a 7 year old child?

Come on now. If you are frustrated do something else. Dont lash out at others.

jts

...hate me...
Even if they are a 7 year old child?

Come on now. If you are frustrated do something else. Dont lash out at others.
No, it's a joke. I don't encourage abuse in any form.

Would love for a few dialogue presets though. One would need to be "pls don't spam grab".

Other would need to be "PLEASE THE TIMER IS RUNNING OUT AND THE OTHER GUY IS AT FULL HEALTH STOP COMING FOR ME".

Seik

Banned

Buttons so far for me.

Tried motion multiple time and while I understand how it works it just doesn't give me the feeling of precision and accuracy that buttons give me.

Isn't there a tutorial mode buried somewhere? I need to try that because I keep getting worse somehow. Nintendo needs to rearrange these menus and do a better job of teaching the game.

This is like Souls levels of tutorializing.

Top Bottom