• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

My brother's Min Min got matched against another in Ranked.
He won. Rematch!
He won again. Rematch!
He won again... this went on for literally a couple of hours.
He went from Rank 6 to 9 (almost 10) and the guy he played dropped from Rank 7 to 5.
The opponent chose the same arms every time, lost every(!) time and kept rematching. In the end a connection error ended the game.
I kept telling my brother to throw a fight just to make him feel a little better :lol.

What was great though is you could see the other player evolving through the matches. He started out evasive and ended super aggressive and had some close calls. Cool stuff.
I admire that dedication.

Hedlok spam grabbers are the most aggravating thing.

Sometimes they grab Hedlok when a Rush is being delivered. Please Nintendo, figure out a way I can give abuse to these people. It's not healthy to hold back!

This is actually a good idea to do if you grab them right before the final hit of the Rush. It does more damage that way. It's also really good for doubles, and if they block it it's a free grab, too.

Snek Park is a garbage stage and I wish I could delete it from my game.

I dunno why everyone hates that stage, but I may be biased considering I have a >90% win rate on there lol.

AEREC

This is actually a good idea to do if you grab them right before the final hit of the Rush. It does more damage that way. It's also really good for doubles, and if they block it it's a free grab, too.

I dunno why everyone hates that stage, but I may be biased considering I have a >90% win rate on there lol.

The snake boards are an annoying gimmick.

The snake boards are an annoying gimmick.

I still don't have trouble landing my punches there. I do admit that some ARMS are worse there than others, but having a good loadout that is useful for any situation is part of the game.

As Spring Man, I typically go with Ram Ram on the left and Bubb on the right, but in Snake Park I replace the Bubb with a Popper. It's worked really well so far.

backlot

I still don't have trouble landing my punches there. I do admit that some ARMS are worse there than others, but having a good loadout that is useful for any situation is part of the game.

As Spring Man, I typically go with Ram Ram on the left and Bubb on the right, but in Snake Park I replace the Bubb with a Popper. It's worked really well so far.

Snake Park is literally just jumping around on the boards while spamming rapid fire arms and hoping to knock the other person off first. It just kinda throws the normal gameplay and strategies out the window.

Raysoul

You people just need to git gud at snake park. Hopefully in the future we get platform heavy stages just to throw off those who refuses to learn how to use the environment.

RRockman

Banned
He won. Rematch!
He won again. Rematch!
He went from Rank 6 to 9 (almost 10) and the guy he played dropped from Rank 7 to 5.
The opponent chose the same arms every time, lost every(!) time and kept rematching. In the end a connection error ended the game.
I kept telling my brother to throw a fight just to make him feel a little better :lol.

What was great though is you could see the other player evolving through the matches. He started out evasive and ended super aggressive and had some close calls. Cool stuff.

I was on the losing end of this with a deputydawg. I only one won, but it was fun learing the other ARMS. I also learned that some ARMS are HARD Counters to other ARMS, but not really that useful out side of that particular match up.

backlot

You people just need to git gud at snake park. Hopefully in the future we get platform heavy stages just to throw off those who refuses to learn how to use the environment.

Why bother getting good when I can win on Snake Park 90% of the time by spamming Hydras?

Snake Park is literally just jumping around on the boards while spamming rapid fire arms and hoping to knock the other person off first. It just kinda throws the normal gameplay and strategies out the window.

From my experience, rapid fire ARMS don't work particularly well on that stage, or at least not the Revolver type.

I think it's a nice mix-up to gameplay. It still rewards you for playing well. You still can't hit someone by just randomly throwing out your punches. The only major change is that both characters become a lot more mobile, but you can still predict where they'll go and lead your shots.

FloatOn

alright so I'm really late to this thread and I apologize for that but I'm on the fence.

I didn't get switch at launch so I'm playing catch up right now. Playing a ton of zelda, mario kart and puyo puyo tetris but I absolutely love what I've seen of ARMs.

My question is, how is the single player content? I imagine I would want to go through that before getting wrecked online.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
alright so I'm really late to this thread and I apologize for that but I'm on the fence.

I didn't get switch at launch so I'm playing catch up right now. Playing a ton of zelda, mario kart and puyo puyo tetris but I absolutely love what I've seen of ARMs.

My question is, how is the single player content? I imagine I would want to go through that before getting wrecked online.
As far as single player content it's very arcadey; comparatively speaking I'd say it's more than Smash 64 but less than Melee- there's no equivalent to a story-driven mode, but plenty of distractions and really tough AI to hone your skills against. For most players though, the value proposition is going to come mostly from the multiplayer.

I would say the single player helps a bit in understanding the components of the game. However, level 4 and beyond will be real tough in difficulty.

Like Mario Kart the full package of the Game comes from the online. Party mode and Rank mode are incredibly fun. For a multiplayer game its really satisfying.

ngower

At the moment: sparse. Grand Prix is challenging enough and you need to get to GP4 in order to unlock ranked mode. I'm sure they'll be releasing more stages and characters, but we're not clear on what single-player modes (if any) are coming. There's fun to be had, but you're not missing out on much if you have stuff to keep you entertained for the time being.

ASIS

So now that it's been out for a little, where do you all stand on the controller methods?

Which do you prefer, motion or buttons and why?

Motion by a mile for me.

The best analogy I can bring up is like driving automatic vs. manual stick. Sure, automatic is easier, and you will largely get whatever result you want. But with manual you have more control over everything. Therefore, while it may be easier to drive in automatic, it's far more engaging to do so with manual. Of course this analogy doesn't add up 1:1 with the ARMS situation but that's how I feel with it. Yeah buttons are easier to wrap your head around but I love the feeling of motion. It's like you are in control of every curve, every movement, and every mistake.

Ogodei

Yup. It changes a diverse and emergent game into something much simpler and uglier.

Playing this game as a portable is amazing.

Nintendo's multiplayer offering has been great. ARMS and Splatoon will keep me busy for this whole year.

MDave

That feeling you get when you know you have played Party mode too long, that every player in the lobby has changed about 2 or 3 times.

backlot

From my experience, rapid fire ARMS don't work particularly well on that stage, or at least not the Revolver type.

I think it's a nice mix-up to gameplay. It still rewards you for playing well. You still can't hit someone by just randomly throwing out your punches. The only major change is that both characters become a lot more mobile, but you can still predict where they'll go and lead your shots.

My experience is that rapid firing Hydras, Crackers or Bubbs is the most consistent way to hit people on that stage. The board itself blocks most punches (especially while jumping) so it feels like you just have to get lucky a lot of the time.

And I disagree that everyone becomes more mobile. Everyone just becomes differently mobile. You slide around farther after a dash and movement speed is higher but every character loses access to their unique mobility options. It invalidates most play styles and throws character matchups out the window.

I don't necessarily have a problem with having to adapt your play style to fit weird stages but Snake Park just takes away all your viable options and forces you to play a very specific way.

Uhm find someone who can avoid your attacks? I thought the common complaint in this stage is they can't hit shit.

Oh, trust me, most of these matches are going to timer. You still have to be able to land a few hits to win though.

Raysoul

My experience is that rapid firing Hydras, Crackers or Bubbs is the most consistent way to hit people on that stage. The board itself blocks most punches (especially while jumping) so it feels like you just have to get lucky a lot of the time.

And I disagree that everyone becomes more mobile. Everyone just becomes differently mobile. You slide around farther after a dash and movement speed is higher but every character loses access to their unique mobility options. It invalidates most play styles and throws character matchups out the window.

I don't necessarily have a problem with having to adapt your play style to fit weird stages but Snake Park just takes away all your viable options and forces you to play a very specific way.

Oh, trust me, most of these matches are going to timer. You still have to be able to land a few hits to win though.

You just described that you need to play differently to win in this stage, which is fine to me. It's like playing Mario Kart on 200cc or Nintendo developing an unconventional fighting game.

People are just afraid of getting out of their comfort zone.

galvatron

i fucking LOVE this game. the gameplay is so deep. just spent an hour in rank rematching the same guy over and over again. wish there was voice chat so i could thank them for the awesome games.

He won. Rematch!
He won again. Rematch!

Hmmm...

Seriously, sounds like something I would do. Losing to a better player is one of the quickest ways I've found to improve. Rank is just a number...

Peltz

So now that it's been out for a little, where do you all stand on the controller methods?

Which do you prefer, motion or buttons and why?

Motion controls for me. I am getting pretty comfortable with them.

Last night, I got a Perfect knock out on Hedlock without getting hit on level 4. Sometimes, I still accidentally dodge in the wrong direction or throw a punch when I didn't mean to, but I feel like those were all my mistakes. It feels like I'm now accurate about 99.9% of the time.

And being able to separately curve both punches feels too important in this game to give up - even though I know there are some Rank 15 players out there who just use buttons.

backlot

You just described that you need to play differently to win in this stage, which is fine to me. It's like playing Mario Kart on 200cc or Nintendo developing an unconventional fighting game.

People are just afraid of getting out of their comfort zone.
200cc has the same (or possibly more) depth as 150cc though. Snake Park plays like a shallow mini game that has no place in ranked mode. I feel like even hoops has more depth than Snake Park.

Takat

I like snake park, it's different than the rest of them, I kind of wish they'll get more into making something as interesting.

ngower

I like snake park, it's different than the rest of them, I kind of wish they'll get more into making something as interesting.

I hate it, personally.

I like the intimate smaller stages like the basketball court and the mummy stage, but I hate the spring parts. I wish they had a really tight cage-like arena so jumping was limited to one per fighter and you were encouraged to stay on the ground and in close quarters.

Raysoul

200cc has the same (or possibly more) depth as 150cc though. Snake Park plays like a shallow mini game that has no place in ranked mode. I feel like even hoops has more depth than Snake Park.

I like basketball but hoops is garbage. After scoring once, it becomes a shitty turtle fest.

As for Mario Kart, on 200cc everyone just becomes differently mobile. You slide around farther after a drift and movement speed is higher but every kart loses access to their unique mobility options. It invalidates most kind of karts and throws matchups out the window. See what I did there?

There is no strong evidence that Snake Park is imbalanced. It is just different. It isn't like Smash stages where hazards kills you. A better player will still play better on Snake Park. I'm not convincing you to like it, so feel free to avoid that stage.

Peltz

I don't agree. Snake Park is no more or less deep than any other level.

I like basketball but hoops is garbage. After scoring once, it becomes a shitty turtle fest.

As for Mario Kart, on 200cc everyone just becomes differently mobile. You slide around farther after a drift and movement speed is higher but every kart loses access to their unique mobility options. It invalidates most kind of karts and throws matchups out the window. See what I did there?

There is no strong evidence that Snake Park is imbalanced. It is just different. It isn't like Smash stages where hazards kills you. A better player will still play better on Snake Park. I'm not convincing you to like it, so feel free to avoid that stage.

This ^

doowrah

Honestly the stage I was having the most trouble with was Spring Stadium against Ribbon Girl. (I don't yet have the Hydra for my boy Helix)

Turns out, you can just toss a Blorb at her, and it'll bounce once on the spring boards with a sustained hitbox. Makes catching her landings way easier.

Glix

Its not unbalanced, you are correct. But it SUCKS. And I'm a snake main.

I would say 75%+ of rounds on that stage go to time for me. Both in ranked and GP. The stage is not the problem, the hover discs are. They change the ENTIRE game. I literally cannot fight you if I'm on the ground and you are on a disc. What you said about MK 200cc fully applies here. My dashes are no good, it utterly and fundamentally changes how I have to play the game. I hate it.

Cush

Just wanted to point out that ARMS is now the 10th best selling game (excluding accessories, etc.) on Amazon US for all of 2017:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2017/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_cal_ye#2

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
2. Breath of the Wild (Switch)
3. Horizon
4. Breath of the Wild (Wii U)
5. Kingdom Hearts HD
6. Resident Evil 7 (PS4)
7. GTAV (PS4)
8. Super Mario Odyssey (this is even crazier!)
9. Wildlands (PS4)
10. ARMS

With the way it's still selling on Amazon, it might punch into the top 7 by the end of the month. I wonder how this will extrapolate across other retailers come NPD time.

As for gameplay related stuff, I was thinking that perhaps Nintendo will add some additional Hedlok modes in the future. I could see a jet pack Hedlok that forces you to jump to hit it, as well as an electrified Hedlok that electrifies you when you try to throw it(i.e., you create a current by touching him with both ARMS at the same time).

backlot

Wow you sure got me. I'm honestly not even sure what you're trying to argue with your Mario Kart example anymore. Snake Park should be in ranked because 200cc Mario Kart exists? For the record people definitely have complained about Worldwide races randomly switching back and forth between 150cc and 200cc because of the different strategies you need for each mode and not being able to prepare for them beforehand.

And I'm not trying to say that Snake Park is imbalanced. Everyone has the same mobility on the spinners so nobody really has a distinct advantage. An imbalanced stage would be something like Ninja Academy randomly selecting a player to start with the high ground for 2 out of 3 rounds.

The problem is that the only way to consistently win is to play the stage a very specific way that isn't particularly fun. No other stage in the mode hinges so much on a single gimmick. It's fine if you find it fun to play but telling me to feel free to avoid it is really funny. It's a randomly selected map in ranked mode. It can't be avoided! That's why people complain about it so much.

Kireek

Is there no penalty for disconnecting in this game? Every ranked match I've played this afternoon where I was about to win, the opponent disconnects at the last second. Really frustrating and spoiling my motivation to continue playing ranked.

Is there no penalty for disconnecting in this game? Every ranked match I've played this afternoon where I was about to win, the opponent disconnects at the last second. Really frustrating and spoiling my motivation to continue playing ranked.

They get penalized and you get coins

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just wanted to point out that ARMS is now the 10th best selling game (excluding accessories, etc.) on Amazon US for all of 2017:

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Horizon
5. Kingdom Hearts HD
6. Resident Evil 7 (PS4)
7. GTAV (PS4)
9. Wildlands (PS4)
10. ARMS

With the way it's still selling on Amazon, it might punch into the top 7 by the end of the month. I wonder how this will extrapolate across other retailers come NPD time.

As for gameplay related stuff, I was thinking that perhaps Nintendo will add some additional Hedlok modes in the future. I could see a jet pack Hedlok that forces you to jump to hit it, as well as an electrified Hedlok that electrifies you when you try to throw it(i.e., you create a current by touching him with both ARMS at the same time).
That is great news. I really hope this meets is sales targets and has a bright future.

An imbalanced stage would be something like Ninja Academy randomly selecting a player to start with the high ground for 2 out of 3 rounds.

This is why Ninja Academy is my least favorite stage. I don't know why they didn't have both of the players start out in the middle like you can see in 4-player free-for-alls.

Byte & Barq's stage is also sorta pushing it with the starting locations (one player has their back toward the edge of the stage while the other has freedom to retreat), but I like the stage design in general so I give it a pass.

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Horizon
5. Kingdom Hearts HD
6. Resident Evil 7 (PS4)
7. GTAV (PS4)
9. Wildlands (PS4)
10. ARMS

I hope it sells well so we can get a ARMS 2 in the future.

Thought I was comfortable enough running Spring Man with basic gloves only to take him for a spin in GP 5. No trouble at all, and no rematches apart from Hoops against Kid Cobra. Twintelle gave me the hardest time and I only beat her by razor-thin margins, while Hedlok is a different experience when you can't just sit back and curve projectiles at him. Spring Man definitely has a bit of a safety net in the form of his auto-charge below 25%, though, and I wonder if I would do as well going gloves-only on, say, Mummy or B&B.

Conversely, it seems I'm getting worse at the 200-coin Arms Getter every time I play. I'm outright missing clocks and boxes now, which tells me it might be time to take a break. You could say I was literally tilted.

The problem is that the only way to consistently win is to play the stage a very specific way that isn't particularly fun. No other stage in the mode hinges so much on a single gimmick. It's fine if you find it fun to play but telling me to feel free to avoid it is really funny. It's a randomly selected map in ranked mode. It can't be avoided! That's why people complain about it so much.

I'm rather fond of stage diversity in the form of unique gimmicks (and was in Smash as well), but I think the problem with Snake Park that makes it less fun is that you can't just apply your existing skill set to improvising around its layout. Your movement skills are so different on the board (due to its "stickiness" and constraints on lateral movement), and your sense of aim so different when your opponent is on the board, that skills from the other stages are not transferable to Snake Park and skills on Snake Park are not transferable to the other stages. It's not like how you can drop into Ribbon Girl's stage for the first time, observe the breakable blocks and the item blocks nestled within, and say to yourself in a few seconds, "Okay, I know what to do with this."

Gimmick stages, in the abstract, are fine. The problem is when they depart so far from fundamentals that you feel as though your broader game-wide skills don't matter. In some respects, Hoops is closer to the pure Arms experience than many matches I've seen on Snake Park.

I don't abhor the stage quite as much as many others do, but wouldn't blame anyone for taking it out of the rotation in a private lobby.

Top Bottom