• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

correojon

That amazing feeling when someone beats you on ranked, he concedes a replay and you comeback with a Perfect. This happened against a Ninjara who only teleported and grabbed to counter. The only times he would take initiative was when he had his rush meter filled, but after 2 matches it was enough to learn his simple strategy and dominate him :D.

It also hapenned against a Twintelle who'd always use slowdown and attack next, somehow my usual tactics with wide arcs from boomerangs failed and he beat me...But then I changed to dual Poppers and focused on getting her rythm. After some matches where I completely dominated I got another perfect and she conceded.

I also got my ass kicked a lot against an amazing Ribbon Girl player who could dodge everything.

I love this game!

atr0cious

So I'm pretty sure I developed rotator cuff tendonitis in my left shoulder from playing 4 hours straight of ranked with motion controls. It's been three days and my shoulder still hurts doing certain rotations such as twisting a doorknob and opening a door, or putting a glass away in a upper cabinet.

I'm going to play tonight with regular controls, but it's such a bummer because I vastly prefer motion. Hopefully the inflammation goes away soon (I've been taking Tylenol and using ice packs to aid the process).
This is where I'm at with the game. Already got a shaky shoulder and wrist from getting doored by a car a few years back and now that I have an arm intensive job again, I have to choose if I'm going to have fun and play the game or not moving like an 80 year old at work. Be sure to take breaks, like every other day if you're going to do extended sessions. It's almost like keeping a workout schedule.

Thank goodness for split joycons, they assuage the urge to hunch over while playing games. Wish they would add a definitive option for this in ARMS. Probably wouldn't feel as bad about using non motion.

Just started the game. holy shit , the CPU is beating me like noting.

Its really fun , cant wait to play with my family this week end.

Coda

So. What's the general consensus? Is this game really worth it? I think I'll dig in.

I think it's great if you like arcadey fighting games that doesn't take itself too seriously, even when you lose you have fun. Plus playing Party Match online with a friend next to you is a lot of fun.

So. What's the general consensus? Is this game really worth it? I think I'll dig in.

For some it may not depending on how much single player they want otherwise as a multiplayer game its worth it. The base game is really polished and good.

Since its getting free content and even modes it will be further worth it down the line for many.

For me its definitely worth it and the free updates helps.

Party mode is amazing when you play it at work Lol.
How so, I just do the VBall farming and bio visits for GP.

Speaking of which I think, impossibly, my first GP7 character will be Master Mummy. It is soooo easy to turtle with HP regen and wait for the grab punish. Managed to acquire Crackers and they are too fast for the computer to input read.

Also, can we talk about how easy it is to punish anyone on Skate Park... Everyone goes for the disc so if you immediately dash charge knock them off, they are MIA the rest of the game as they try to get back on. Probably mentioned before but I am sooo amused by this in GP, ranked, party, etc... Totally agree with sentiments on this thread about it being removed from rank. That and the Ninja School.

Why the fuck would they make uneven stages, the player on the lower end is ALWAYS at a disadvantage as the higher elevation character is harder to hit and more maneuverable.

As to ranked, I still get insta-queue games in all modes so I don't think this game is dropping off in any respect. Now when Splatoon 2 hits that's another story... but for now it's been going strong. The GAF Discord groups are too good for me so I'd rather random, I don't feel like I get better by being punished by Helix or Ribbon Girl.

I hope there is something at PAX Prime for this, would love to do a local tourney.

phanphare

Banned

the general consensus seems mixed basically on whether or not the gameplay mechanics appeal to each individual. if the mechanics seem appealing to you you'll probably love ARMS. if they don't you probably won't.

I'll give my general ARMS impression timeline. I always thought the character designs and art style were great but the game never appealed to me. not after the Switch presentation and not when it was shown in the next Direct. then it got its own Direct and they blew the roof off and I was interested. still not sold though but they announced the Testpunches so that was cool. first Testpunch, ehhh not really feeling it. second, third, fourth, etc. I came around to the game and really started to enjoy the gameplay mechanics. bought the game and I still enjoy it a lot. there are some frustrating aspects for me, the CPU in grand prix is noting short of infuriating at times but being able to save so I can rage quit and come back is cool. party mode is awesome.

for me ARMS has been a grower and it's still growing on me after owning the game. I actually recently realized how much it has its hooks in me when the Zelda DLC dropped and I went back to that game only to miss playing ARMS and shift back. there are a handful of perfectly logical reasons why ARMS is a tad bit disappointing as it currently exists in its pre-free DLC state but the mechanics just work for me which washes away those concerns.

so yeah, if the gameplay appeals to you check it out. if not then you should probably pass.

the general consensus seems mixed basically on whether or not the gameplay mechanics appeal to each individual. if the mechanics seem appealing to you you'll probably love ARMS. if they don't you probably won't.

I'll give my general ARMS impression timeline. I always thought the character designs and art style were great but the game never appealed to me. not after the Switch presentation and not when it was shown in the next Direct. then it got its own Direct and they blew the roof off and I was interested. still not sold though but they announced the Testpunches so that was cool. first Testpunch, ehhh not really feeling it. second, third, fourth, etc. I came around to the game and really started to enjoy the gameplay mechanics. bought the game and I still enjoy it a lot. there are some frustrating aspects for me, the CPU in grand prix is noting short of infuriating at times but being able to save so I can rage quit and come back is cool. party mode is awesome.

for me ARMS has been a grower and it's still growing on me after owning the game. I actually recently realized how much it has its hooks in me when the Zelda DLC dropped and I went back to that game only to miss playing ARMS and shift back. there are a handful of perfectly logical reasons why ARMS is a tad bit disappointing as it currently exists in its pre-free DLC state but the mechanics just work for me which washes away those concerns.

so yeah, if the gameplay appeals to you check it out. if not then you should probably pass.

Hey what's your friend code?

There are still some people I haven't added on GAF especially to play against on these multiplayer Switch games.

I think there's going to be a cycle of playing Splatoon while I wait for new ARMS content then playing ARMS while I wait for new Splatoon content. Rinse and repeat.

Accidentally chose Twintelle today after trying to select a skin with Mechanica. Decided what the heck and had a pretty good run in ranked with her.

royox

I didn't like it. It's fun the 5 first times you play it with a friend but after that it's always the same and very repetitive even with the character and punch options.

But yeah, the opinions are very mixed.

This is a great game, but it takes so long to get into it... They needed a single player mode with simpler fighting to get things rolling faster.

Also I think motion controls in this game are terrible. I really gave them a shot and they do work, but flicking your hand will never be as fast as pressing a button and the key to this game is movement/timing.

Chauzu

This is a great game, but it takes so long to get into it... They needed a single player mode with simpler fighting to get things rolling faster.

Also I think motion controls in this game are terrible. I really gave them a shot and they do work, but flicking your hand will never be as fast as pressing a button and the key to this game is movement/timing.

Well, I'll disagree with motion being "terrible". You can definately do anything with motion control as quick as with normal: you don't need to flick your wrist that much.

Anyway, played for the first time for a few days. Actually took a few mins to regain muscle control but then I was back at it. From now on I will probs mainly use ARMS as additional workout sessions: definately one in the morning, and then it depends if I feel like it. I always work out a sweat and my usually weak arms feel stronger than ever now so I'm happy, and ranked is always fun in short bursts.

Well, I'll disagree with motion being "terrible". You can definately do anything with motion control as quick as with normal: you don't need to flick your wrist that much.

Anyway, played for the first time for a few days. Actually took a few mins to regain muscle control but then I was back at it. From now on I will probs mainly use ARMS as additional workout sessions: definately one in the morning, and then it depends if I feel like it. I always work out a sweat and my usually weak arms feel stronger than ever now so I'm happy, and ranked is always fun in short bursts.

You can technically execute everything accurately, but there's no way you can be as good with motion controls. You are basically adding input lag into a game that is about timing of attacks. It really turned off at first. i thought I was playing wiggle game, but this is something a lot more robust and requires accurate and timely inputs.

This is the same reason why I don't think this is a good local multiplayer game. I just don't have many friends who would do anything beyond randomly punching buttons and Arms is not that type of game.

atr0cious

You can technically execute everything accurately, but there's no way you can be as good with motion controls. You are basically adding input lag into a game that is about timing of attacks. It really turned off at first. i thought I was playing wiggle game, but this is something a lot more robust and requires accurate and timely inputs.

This is the same reason why I don't think this is a good local multiplayer game. I just don't have many friends who would do anything beyond randomly punching buttons and Arms is not that type of game.
I'd say you're selling the motion controls and friends short. Took arms to my friends after they said it didn't look great, and they bought it the next day after a day of playing with motion controls. And on my girlfriend's second game, she beat me with motion controls. Once you figure out how to hold the joycons, the rest of the work is just muscle memory discipline.

And speed is always needed, but as with any fighting game, spacing is just as important and can mitigate the couple miliseconds of difference in input(just like the difference between controllers and sticks), which is already apparent with the character roster.

Yeah those 2v2 matches are really bad. There is no strategy at all. Im just throwing punches and throws like crazy. Thats why I hope the new dlc mode will replace it.
They just need to get rid of the stupid bungie cord. Would solve most of the problems with it...

I'd say you're selling the motion controls and friends short. Took arms to my friends after they said it didn't look great, and they bought it the next day after a day of playing with motion controls. And on my girlfriend's second game, she beat me with motion controls. Once you figure out how to hold the joycons, the rest of the work is just muscle memory discipline.

And speed is always needed, but as with any fighting game, spacing is just as important and can mitigate the couple miliseconds of difference in input(just like the difference between controllers and sticks), which is already apparent with the character roster.

Just to be clear, I don't think that the game is terrible when played with motion controls or with friends. It's OK in those cases, some would even say good. It's just not GREAT like it is when played with Pro controller and with decent knowledge of how timing works. I think just a bit more effort into the single player mode, and de-emphasizing motion controls would have raised this game's to the point where many would consider it one of the biggest surprises this year.

You can technically execute everything accurately, but there's no way you can be as good with motion controls.

Motion controls give you more flexibility over your punching, specifically when it comes to launching two at once. Requires an adjustment in tactics, certainly, and I personally get on better with buttons and sticks, but that's mainly down to my playstyle. I've watched a few top players who use motion (including a couple of Rank 15s) and evidently they don't find it a hindrance at all.

Just to be clear, I don't think that the game is terrible when played with motion controls or with friends. It's OK in those cases, some would even say good. It's just not GREAT like it is when played with Pro controller and with decent knowledge of how timing works. I think just a bit more effort into the single player mode, and de-emphasizing motion controls would have raised this game's to the point where many would consider it one of the biggest surprises this year.

Seeing the developer play with motion controls with ease at the tournament says otherwise.

atr0cious

Agree to disagree, as I feel stuck and stiff while playing with non motion controls. I feel much more free and comfortable with motion. Also, motion is what's so great about this game, and what makes it the surprise of the year. Anyone is able to pick up and play the game and not be at a large disadvantage. The immediacy of the meta really works in favor of the motion controls, where once you know the basics, you can focus on the things that matter.
Seeing the developer play with motion controls with ease at the tournament says otherwise.
Also this helps with those doubts as well.

Ogodei

So from the 6 characters i found basic aptitude with in Grand Prix: Twintelle, Min Min, Master Mummy, Mechanica, Ninjara, and Byte and Barq, i think the weaker two of those, for me, are Master Mummy and Twintelle. Possibly B&B at the end of things.

So now i want to try everyone again in Party Mode before heading off to Ranked, just to make sure.

Should just try the characters i sucked with in GP (Ribbon Girl, Spring Man, Helix who i never even beat level 3 with, and Kid Cobra), just for funsies.

Maybe i'll just never leave Party Mode. This is a lot of fun :)

HyperHip

A Helix got me into a weird stun lock today with the freeze dragon + freeze boomerang hang. Couldn't move from it at all.

You can still act but the benefit of Ice is if you guess wrong they can reset the situation constantly. Your options when frozen are attacking, grabbing, or blocking.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
who puts their brand logo on their butt (I know some jeans do but this feels strange)

DD29h8SUwAIVsTa.jpg

If they manage to pack the game with a ton of content and goodies, it will end up being something really special. Also, who left the heater on, I'm sweating in here.

zroid

Banned
man I haven't had the chance to play this as much as I'd like yet, but I finally decided to try Twintelle for a few rounds and god damn she is super fun.

I've noticed today that (in Party mode) when Snake park is the stage other players have been forgoing use of the platforms and fighting normally.

I'm personally liking this trend.

LordKano

Is it me or are the Spring Man in Grand Prix way harder to beat than the others ?

On the other hand, I'm only rank 5, but people online aren't very good at this game. Once you learn how to punish on a jump or a missed grab, you can do so much easy damage.

Top Bottom