• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

ARMS GAF, I reach out for help.

If you could be brief, what would you say are the most essential tips in order to be decent at this game?

My win percentage is like 37% and I rarely win without some type of handicap in place. Hilarious, I know, but I genuinely want to get better. And I'd prefer to keep using motion controls.

Here are some things to chew on:

- foundations: get your reaction time down for the grab - punch - block triangle. Sounds almost too basic, but even just understanding the timing on those basics you could get far.

- Stay charged up. Charge every single chance you get. If you're going to dodge, hold dodge a bit longer to get a charge. If you're going to block, block just long enough to get your charge. Etc. I am in a constant state of charged up when I fight.

- Choose a character right for you. Find a character who has arms abilities and arms that work for you. Try Barq & Byte with seekies. Try Ninjara and just keep moving. Try Ribbon Girl while staying in the air constantly and see how pissed off your opponents get.

- Exploit openings for rush attacks. Don't just start rush attack any time. Use it at a moment where your opponent will be wide open. And think about when to save the attack for a next round instead.

Here are some things to chew on:

- foundations: get your reaction time down for the grab - punch - block triangle. Sounds almost too basic, but even just understanding the timing on those basics you could get far.

- Stay charged up. Charge every single chance you get. If you're going to dodge, hold dodge a bit longer to get a charge. If you're going to block, block just long enough to get your charge. Etc. I am in a constant state of charged up when I fight.

- Choose a character right for you. Find a character who has arms abilities and arms that work for you. Try Barq & Byte with seekies. Try Ninjara and just keep moving. Try Ribbon Girl while staying in the air constantly and see how pissed off your opponents get.

- Exploit openings for rush attacks. Don't just start rush attack any time. Use it at a moment where your opponent will be wide open. And think about when to save the attack for a next round instead.

Good stuff, thanks. I played a bit last night using Min Min and double Ram Rams. I changed my strategy a bit after reading the tips here. Kept a bit more distance, focused on throwing and aiming punches and switching up my timing. Managed to win 4 in a row!

I think I'm ready to take on GP 4.

Fuck, I suck at this game but I am having such a great time with it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Who are you guys maining lately? For me it's been Helix and Mechanica.
Never deviated from Ninjara but Kid Cobra is fantastic as a second and Mummy is a ton of fun though I'm not good with him yet.
Good stuff, thanks. I played a bit last night using Min Min and double Ram Rams. I changed my strategy a bit after reading the tips here. Kept a bit more distance, focused on throwing and aiming punches and switching up my timing. Managed to win 4 in a row!

I think I'm ready to take on GP 4.

Fuck, I suck at this game but I am having such a great time with it.
Mark my words if you stick with it, go through it a few times and then come back to GP4 and start blasting through it, it is so damn satisfying.

Neoxon

We're getting a new update, soon!

DGTkgMfUwAAEXAB

Roo

Been doing great so far with Ribbon Girl, personally.
I'm still trying to figure out a way to make good use of her multiple jumps without being too predictable or finding myself vulnerable when I land but so far she's the character I use the most. My second main would be Mechanica as well :p
I was expecting them to save info for a Nintendo Direct or something but I'll take this.

Interested to see the balance changes, only thing I'd ask for at the moment is... maybe a nerf to electric arms somehow? Getting a free grab off a charged punch has always felt kind of overpowered compared to the other elements.

Funny, I feel the same about the ice arms.
The window between the hit and recovery is way too big for my taste.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Haha good news and right after that kotaku article. Looking forward to something fresh to make me go back to the game.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Nekketsu Kõha;245360257 said:
Guess it has legs lol
Always had, Min Min was using them all that time!

Seriously, I hope for something to help get coins. As it is it's too much of a grind to me. EDIT : And if they do it, they need to add some new stuff to buy for the people who already unlocked most of the arms.

Always had, Min Min was using them all that time!

Seriously, I hope for something to help get coins. As it is it's too much of a grind to me. EDIT : And if they do it, they need to add some new stuff to buy for the people who already unlocked most of the arms.

Lol yeah more coins, as for new unlocks I don't really care. But I also like things more when it is all unlocked so... mental thing.

Helix, always.

Speaking of which, I really hope he doesn't get nerfed in the upcoming update..

Meanwhile, I know I haven't been around much, but if anyone has questions or needs a source about high level play, just let me know.

Edit: Seeing the complaints about electric and ice, I believe they're fine as they are. If you get hit with electric, it's mostly your fault. The electric version of weapons are the slowest of their kind and do no extra damage when charged. Plus if they're hit in the air not only will you get no extra damage but they won't be electrified either (if they aren't a heavy). The only decent electric ARMS seen at high level play are the thunderbird which can be beaten by just staying far away and the Seekie which is just generally extremely slow and easy to avoid. As for ice I personally find it to be better than electricity since it cancels out character abilities (Min Min charge, Spring/Brass deflect and last resort, Ribbon Jumps, Ninjara block teleport, Mummy Healing, etc.) and does extra charge damage. It isn't a guaranteed grab but it allows you to play mind games with your opponent, and it can be reapplied and/or lead to combos. Ice weapons are slightly faster but not faster than other weapons so they're stil easily avoided, however.

taoofjord

Nice! Cant wait for the update!

Between Splatoon 2 and ARMS, I couldn't be happier with the first year competitive multiplayer offerings on a new console. They're both so good.

taoofjord

Nekketsu Kõha;245488684 said:
Those and MKD as well for me. It is crazy really. I know I will enjoy all 3 for years.

Oh yeah, totally. It's crazy how many games I try to get my non-gamer family and wife into. The only game they genuinely enjoy is Mario Kart. Good thing I love it too, haha.

So, some internal fighter names have been found:

Belt (Max Brass)
Chain [Ninjara's Sensei...?]
Coil[Tesla Coil...?]
DNA (Helix)
Hair (Twintelle)
Mee (Min Min)
Mummy (Mummy)
Ninja (Ninjara)
Plant
Police (Byte and Bark)
Ribbon (Ribbon Girl)
Robo [ARMS Labs...?]
Scroll [Medieval ARMS Fighter...?]
Snake (Kid Cobra)
Spring (Spring Man)
Sumo
Surprise [???]
Sweet [Licorice ARMS...?]
Twintale[???????]
Worker (Mechanica)

What do you folks think?

Roo

9 new names? Interesting

I don't know if expecting that many actual fighters to appear in the game is the right thing to do but that'd be freaking cool.
For all we know they could be just placeholders or stuff that won't lead anywhere but, I'm mean, we'd have 20 characters once everything is said and done.

Makes you wonder for how long they'll support the game.
Anyway, personally was expecting 3-4 new fighters at most (Max Brass included) buy if we get more than that, oh boy..

How do I deal with Min Min on double ice gloves when she keeps spamming. Why is it that she can charge while throwing one punch after another??? At medium to close range, there's nothing I can do to counter.

Neiteio

So, some internal fighter names have been found:

Belt (Max Brass)
Chain [Ninjara's Sensei...?]
Coil[Tesla Coil...?]
DNA (Helix)
Hair (Twintelle)
Mee (Min Min)
Mummy (Mummy)
Ninja (Ninjara)
Plant
Police (Byte and Bark)
Ribbon (Ribbon Girl)
Robo [ARMS Labs...?]
Scroll [Medieval ARMS Fighter...?]
Snake (Kid Cobra)
Spring (Spring Man)
Sumo
Surprise [???]
Sweet [Licorice ARMS...?]
Twintale[???????]
Worker (Mechanica)

What do you folks think?
What's your source on this?

Camjo-Z

I got really lucky in Ranked tonight, fought a pretty decent Rank 17 Twintelle who rematched me like 20 times and got me from Rank 14 to 16. It's too bad I had to take him down a rank to do it... but at least we were even by the end!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
it cancels out character abilities (Min Min charge, Spring/Brass deflect and last resort, Ribbon Jumps, Ninjara block teleport, Mummy Healing, etc.)
so true. Suddenly blocking like a normal character with ninjara when frozen is incredibly disorienting and I still panic often

Codiox

FFS level 4 hedlok is no joke. Finally got him but this was almost dark souls kinda hard... I hate these input reading CPUs. I hope ranking mode is worth it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Allllllright, back to some semblace of normalcy, anyone up for some Monday Night Arms? Gonna pop open a lobby for an hour or so!

FFS level 4 hedlok is no joke. Finally got him but this was almost dark souls kinda hard... I hate these input reading CPUs. I hope ranking mode is worth it.
Going back and making lvl 4 hedlok weep is a lot of fun

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Fun matches Jedi! Will give a heads up in advance here next time, but generally it's gonne be Monday at around 8pm eastern time. Come on out for Monday Night Arms!

Camjo-Z

Update TOMORROW!

The current so called “Lifeless ARM” is in need of a major tune-up. Particularly the Boomerang and…the guy that continuously throws out balls? I’ve just forgotten their name…

Eh, when’s it due to arrive? Uh, actually….it’s tomorrow…wha!? Hey, please pick up the pace!!

The balance change update will be distributed tomorrow! Hurry, Mechanica!

Been coming back to this game pretty hard after getting sucked into Splatoon 2. I only had it for a few days before I picked up Splatoon 2 so I hadn't beaten GP level 4 yet, but I'd been really enjoying the easier difficulties and playing in party mode.

I just beat level 4 though and it was amazing. It actually wasn't that difficult after rematching Ninjara what felt like 20 times as my first opponent. After him, I only had to use one rematch for the rest of the run, against Hedlock.

The feeling of satisfaction after completing it was incredible. Really love the music and suspense, round to round. I'd probably say I enjoyed this single player more than Splatoon 2, though to be fair this didn't have any expectations to live up to whereas Splatoon 1 had really surprised me with how much I enjoyed the single player campaign.

I'll say too, I heard about the update news yesterday so I thought it was coming at some point today.

Comprehensive notes are always nice to have. Haven't tested anything yet myself, but on paper it looks as though the biggest mechanical change is that rushes no longer charge as quickly from whiffed punches. Most of the glove changes, meanwhile, are speed increases (with the notable exception of Buff/Bubb).

Interestingly, training mode exercises have been broken down into multiple difficulties—e.g. there are anti-counter stages against level 4 and level 7, and "Don't get thrown" stages against level 2 and level 5. Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced Punching have been replaced by four stages just labelled "Punching" (levels 1, 2, 3, 6). These are the same as before with the addition of punching level 3, which pits you against Byte & Barq and doubles as a trainer in hitting Barq. The UI has been tweaked as well—on completing a training stage, it's no longer the default option (or an option at all) to move on to the next segment, something I knew I often hit accidentally when testing things out.

Top Bottom