• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

R0ckman

Agh hate 2 on 2, if your partner isnt that good you get tossed around.

Are certain character strong against others, I had a Min Min in a lobby kicking my ass badly until I went Cobra and it became a bit even at that point, still lost but I wasn't murdered.

R0ckman

Training mode really helps out with getting feel for the game, highly reccomend it for people intimidated. I have trouble with dodgers so I practice the level 6 ribbon girl dogding training mode, for dodgy characters you basically have to get in their face and be really aggressive. I'd say a medium and light glove, medium should be used to prevent being countered blocking punches and grabs, light for quick strikes.

There are a few odd things I probably need to research though, it seems some maneuvers give you invincibility frames? I was using the slammander on ribbon girl and it clearly hit her legs (not the tip but the entire torso and did nothing, she was jumping up not backwards.

Actually I'd say Cobra with Hydra and Triblast is a great antidodge character, practiced on Robbon girl and melted her. Eh looks like I wont really have a "main" since certain characters and arms work better depening on the playstyle of your opponent.

Hey, i cant download the global test punch on my switch. It says I bought it already but doesn't give me the option of downloading it. I had deleted the previous global test punch file so maybe it doesn't recognize that I did or something?

Hey, i cant download the global test punch on my switch. It says I bought it already but doesn't give me the option of downloading it. I had deleted the previous global test punch file so maybe it doesn't recognize that I did or something?

Not sure but seen this a lot could be they limit it to accounts that never tried it and you already have.

Griss

Thought the thread would be more active due to the test punch and new users like me.

As for me: I love literally everything about it... except the gameplay. Which says it all really.

Having to use the motion controls to move is just a step too far for me (sorry for the pun). And your punches feel like they're thrown more in hope than in precise expectation. Also, the best strategy appears to be simply to constantly side dodge until both your opponents arms are out then throw them.

I don't know, I'm not feeling it at all. The basketball mode was funny, I guess, and a 3 vs boss mode is interesting, but when the actual action of moving around and punching feels so damn imprecise then you get bored very, very quickly.

Not feeling it.

Nekketsu Kõha;247049796 said:
Not sure but seen this a lot could be they limit it to accounts that never tried it and you already have.
Guess I missed my one and only chance of being convinced by Nintendo! (Hope you're wrong and it's a bug)

me0wish

Thought the thread would be more active due to the test punch and new users like me.

As for me: I love literally everything about it... except the gameplay. Which says it all really.

Having to use the motion controls to move is just a step too far for me (sorry for the pun). And your punches feel like they're thrown more in hope than in precise expectation. Also, the best strategy appears to be simply to constantly side dodge until both your opponents arms are out then throw them.

I don't know, I'm not feeling it at all. The basketball mode was funny, I guess, and a 3 vs boss mode is interesting, but when the actual action of moving around and punching feels so damn imprecise then you get bored very, very quickly.

Not feeling it.

Try playing with out motion controls.

bonesquad

Guess I missed my one and only chance of being convinced by Nintendo! (Hope you're wrong and it's a bug)

When you say you don't get the option to download the test punch, do you mean the game isn't listed on your list of games to redownload? The game's on my list, but I have Arms. You can't redownload directly from the game page (another brilliant eShop design decision). You have to find the game on your profile's (upper right icon in the Shop) redownload list.

When you say you don't get the option to download the test punch, do you mean the game isn't listed on your list of games to redownload? The game's on my list, but I have Arms. You can't redownload directly from the game page (another brilliant eShop design decision). You have to find the game on your profile's (upper right icon in the Shop) redownload list.

Shit, that's it! I need to redownload! Silly that they don't give the option to redownload from the game's eshop page, like you said, wtf!

Suspicious_Jug

Neo Member
Started playing ranked after getting better with Kid Cobra, and I was doing decent thanks to his roll and fast jumps. Then I fought a Master Mummy and he just walled me off, I was playing too predictable, and couldn't land most hits. I was able to win eventually using Ribbon Girl, but it was still tough.

Started playing ranked after getting better with Kid Cobra, and I was doing decent thanks to his roll and fast jumps. Then I fought a Master Mummy and he just walled me off, I was playing too predictable, and couldn't land most hits. I was able to win eventually using Ribbon Girl, but it was still tough.

Yeah, Mummy is really focused on reading your opponent; it's important to keep yourself unpredictable when faced with him!

Suspicious_Jug

Neo Member
Definitely, it wasn't until I picked Ribbon Girl that I realised that I should probably approach him in various ways. Hehe. Either way, this game can get heated and its really fun. Can't wait for the next Fighter as well.

Not feeling it.

This was pretty much me. The time taken for my brain to process the move required and for me to execute it was too long and it got frustrating. switched to regular controls and beat grand prix 7 eventually. Night and day for me.

Looks like another online tourney going on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egZPTd5hX7k
Ironic turn of events. The champion of this latet tournament:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egZPTd5hX7k

Plays almost exactly like this Kid Cobra motion control user:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DMB1BPR4iY

Who lost the previous tournament because he had the bad luck of been ladered early with the best player, a mechanica user, which is the person that got defeated in the latest finals by a Kid Cobra.

Majority of players in the tounament were using the Pro controller. But im not sure about the champion. i saw Yabuki making hand motions when he was speaking with him on the phone so it would be interesting to know. i don't know any Japanese.

Not feeling it.
Blame falls strictily on you. Expecting to grasp all aspects of a competitive game, specially one with a different control system, in so little time is not realistic. And reaching conclusions so quickly is downright naive.

If you are not willing to invest the time to learn something new, then as other suggested, give a try to more traditional button controls as the skill ceiling is lower.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Experimented with a guardian/slamamander combo last night. Was pretty fun - People have no idea what to do against the shield.

Not feeling it.

Try traditional controls.

Griss

Blame falls strictily on you. Expecting to grasp all aspects of a competitive game, specially one with a different control system, in so little time is not realistic. And reaching conclusions so quickly is downright naive.

If you are not willing to invest the time to learn something new, then as other suggested, give a try to more traditional button controls as the skill ceiling is lower.

I'm not expecting to grasp all aspects from moment one, I'm expecting (and I demand) to have fun from moment one. And I didn't.

I don't give a shit about mastering a game - I don't actually give a shit about winning or losing at all, really. I just want a game to feel precise and for it to be obvious what's 'fun' about it from the start. Arms did not satisfy me in that way, therefore to my eyes it's a poor game.

A game can have hidden levels of depth, but if that first level of gameplay is no good it just doesn't matter. You can say reaching conclusions early is naive but I have over 100 games to play across Wii U / PS4 / Switch, I'm not wasting my time on one that doesn't connect within the first hour. It's the game's obligation to impress me, not my obligation to put time into the game as if it's work in the hope that maybe there's something good that will reveal itself.

Try traditional controls.

Better, especially from a movement perspective, but the same gameplay of dodge-spamming and then sending out punches and waiting an eternity to see if they hit. No thanks.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Better, especially from a movement perspective, but the same gameplay of dodge-spamming and then sending out punches and waiting an eternity to see if they hit. No thanks.
Uhh what? I'm mildly competent at the game and you're doing it wrong. But at least you're not grab spamming.

I'm not expecting to grasp all aspects from moment one, I'm expecting (and I demand) to have fun from moment one. And I didn't.

I don't give a shit about mastering a game - I don't actually give a shit about winning or losing at all, really. I just want a game to feel precise and for it to be obvious what's 'fun' about it from the start. Arms did not satisfy me in that way, therefore to my eyes it's a poor game.

A game can have hidden levels of depth, but if that first level of gameplay is no good it just doesn't matter. You can say reaching conclusions early is naive but I have over 100 games to play across Wii U / PS4 / Switch, I'm not wasting my time on one that doesn't connect within the first hour. It's the game's obligation to impress me, not my obligation to put time into the game as if it's work in the hope that maybe there's something good that will reveal itself.

As the current third best player in the world according to https://www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/aabqa/dashboard/ranking/index.html?global-ranking , I believe I have some level of validity when I say that what you described is definitely not the gameplay of ARMS (at least to me). At first any online game will feel completely different than what it becomes if you give it time. You may be drawing from negative experiences, or need more practice with the controls, I'm not sure.

Furthermore, while I understand and respect the mindset of simply not feeling a game, sometimes perseverening and sticking to something and practicing until it clicks with you pay off. Otherwise we wouldn't have games like Monster Hunter, where to my knowledge everyone I know who has played that has said it never clicked until long after they first played it.

emb

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Well, slowly making my way through Rank 4 as Kid Cobra---I feel I'm getting better, was taking me 5+ tries early on but beat the last couple characters pretty easily.

Fuck the Target game against Byte and Barq though.

On Max Brass now, I can get him down a match but he always seems to come back around the next two. But I'm having fun "losing", which is weird because usually with fighting games I mess around with training, get beat up by the CPU, and just quit. I think this *might* be the fighting game I've been waiting for! I also like how you can easily save and quit Grand Prix and start right back up, y'know not a lot of fighting games let you save in the middle of "Arcade Mode" which is pretty weird...

Also found out you can resume after getting new ARMS, so I'm gonna build up some coins in Training Mode and try some new ARMS for Cobra. Looking for some good tip videos too!

Regiruler

Weirdly enough, cobra was my first rank 4. I did a rank 3 as a test run with B&B first to see if there was any payout difference.

Speaking of, I've completed rank 5 for BB and Helix. It's, uh, an experience (why the hell isn't there a better payout).

I'm not sure what this says, but I think it's top 3 characters used by the top ranking 3%?

I think Max Brass may be on the nerf agenda.

I think they'll just rank who did the most damage in 2+ people matches (3 vs Hedlok - 1v1v1 -1v1v1v1)

There's another one showing the exact same thing but for female characters

https://twitter.com/ARMS_Cobutter/status/901640921908887552

according to the comments, the first one with max brass is 3 most commonly picked, while the second one with twintelle and co is top 3 with the highest win rate.

edit: ok, I'm a dunce...
Apparently THIS is the top 3 in terms of being played by people in general: https://twitter.com/ARMS_Cobutter/status/901279047920918528
Twintelle, Ribbon and Min Min is highest win percent in general.
Max Brass, Helix and Byte & Barq are top win rates among " top 3% of super advanced users"

in all 3 cases, this is only from ver 2.1 onwards.

bonesquad

according to the comments, the first one with max brass is 3 most commonly picked, while the second one with twintelle and co is top 3 with the highest win rate.

Apparently THIS is the top 3 in terms of being played by people in general: https://twitter.com/ARMS_Cobutter/status/901279047920918528
Max Brass, Helix and Byte & Barq are top win rates among " top 3% of super advanced users"

Go Byte & Barq! At least that can't nerf my favorite character. What are they going to do? Untrain Barq?

Yeah in terms of overall usage it's Ninjara, Kid Cobra, and Spring Man. In terms of overall win rate it's Twintelle, Ribbon, and Min Min. In terms of the win rate among the top 3% of players, it's Max Brass, Helix, and Byte and Barq.

Regiruler

I play B&B and even I know barq can be some cheap shit sometimes.

He's saved me from quite a few grabs from characters without armor (mummy doesn't give a shit).

If there was a mechanic change that let you target barq the character would go to the bottom of the charts.

I used Byte and Barq to beat level 4 Grand Prix. I'm having good success with them in party mode as well.
I love the character design in this game. So charming. It's interesting because most people seem to prefer the Splatoon design but I feel like I play Splatoon because the game play is good in spite of the ugly artstyle. But I know I'm in the minority

Griss you are talking various different things here. The highlighted statements on your part speak for themselves. You just picked a rather odd genre (competitive fighting game) to expect instant gratification. Objectivly speaking ARMS is not a "poor" game.

im surprised it turned out to be the case for ARMS, since the special controls and the simplified move sets should have eased you into the game basics a lot quicker than other more traditional games in this genre. Interacting in a more physcial way with a fighting game in a lots of cases is enough for a person to find the game quiet "fun".

Finally about this part of your reply:

It's the game's obligation to impress me, not my obligation to put time into the game as if it's work in the hope that maybe there's something good that will reveal itself.

This is a very consumer product like view of videogames. Not all games necessarily have an specific obligation towards a player, a game can be about expressing the vision of it's creators. If that vision was about the player investing time into learning something new or different and it reflects that in praxis, then i would say it's fullfiling the goal.

Outside of that. Nothing wrong at all with you not liking the game... is just not for you.

EmiPrime

Does the game hold up? Looking to buy this and rabbids today as my first Switch games.

Unless splatoon 2 is the new hotness and everybody has abandoned arms.

Roo

Does the game hold up? Looking to buy this and rabbids today as my first Switch games.

You definitely won't have any problem finding people to play with. Finding a lobby takes less than 15 seconds.

I'm personally waiting for Lola Pop to be released to jump back into the game.

I used Byte and Barq to beat level 4 Grand Prix. I'm having good success with them in party mode as well.
I love the character design in this game. So charming. It's interesting because most people seem to prefer the Splatoon design but I feel like I play Splatoon because the game play is good in spite of the ugly artstyle. But I know I'm in the minority
Character design is masterful... to me it hits that crazy territory seen in Fzero. And that ARMS is probably the best looking and technically competent Switch game makes a delight to enjoy the art style.

Not only you' ll get plenty of matches both in party mode and ranked but due to how the lobby system works getting into gameplay is probably faster than Splatoon.

Really the UI design and lobby system is the best one of any Nintendo online game ever created. i don't think im exagerating here XD

interesting. all these rankings and tweets being Japanese only just makes things more difficult.

Can you tell what this Min Min tweet is about?
https://twitter.com/ARMS_Cobutter/status/903092096306896896

DIhtaSiV4AE6RnS.jpg:orig
I still love the art

EmiPrime

You definitely won't have any problem finding people to play with. Finding a lobby takes less than 15 seconds.

I'm personally waiting for Lola Pop to be released to jump back into the game.

Character design is masterful... to me it hits that crazy territory seen in Fzero. And that ARMS is probably the best looking and technically competent Switch game makes a delight to enjoy the art style.

Not only you' ll get plenty of matches both in party mode and ranked but due to how the lobby system works getting into gameplay is probably faster than Splatoon.

Really the UI design and lobby system is the best one of any Nintendo online game ever created. i don't think im exagerating here XD

Cheers folks, I ended up getting both Splatoon 2 and Arms because I had a whynotboth.gif moment when I got to the shop.

TheMoon

the Lola Pop announcement and then nothing so far has been quite the bummer, initially I thought she'd be out within days ...

Been waiting to jump back in once that update is out but it feels like it's taking forever.

interesting. all these rankings and tweets being Japanese only just makes things more difficult.

Can you tell what this Min Min tweet is about?
https://twitter.com/ARMS_Cobutter/status/903092096306896896

I still love the art

It says "In the Popularity Ranking, Min Min just narrowly missed the spotlight, coming in a close 4th. However, she is popular with veterans. Accounting for the top percentage of fighters only, she comes out on top as #1 in popularity.
Of course, she's not just popular with experienced fighters, but also with the children! ...Hey, your face has stiffened, that kind of look is no good for Min Min! Smile〜!"
(courtesy of fan-run twitter account: ARMS (english) )

the Lola Pop announcement and then nothing so far has been quite the bummer, initially I thought she'd be out within days ...

Been waiting to jump back in once that update is out but it feels like it's taking forever.

I agree it feels as if it's been a very long time since she was revealed.

Hopefully this week.

Regiruler

I somehow got 20 for beating 1v100 as opposed to the usual 8. Does anyone know the criteria for this?

Is it for setting a new record?

Top Bottom