• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

I seem to be having trouble with people that take to the air often, and I'm kinda having a hard time of understanding the benefits of being on the ground. And anti air tips and stuff? Or is this not that type of game and you should just be jumping constantly?

Jumps leave you open and can be really predictable, Hydra is good for anti air. Ground is great for confusing and a big factor as paying Helix since air or ground is all the same to him

Durden77

Jumps leave you open and can be really predictable, Hydra is good for anti air. Ground is great for confusing and a big factor as paying Helix since air or ground is all the same to him

I haven't really fucked with Helix, I will give him a shot. I've always been more of a zoner in fighting games, so he might fit me. Right now I just use Spring Man with double boxing gloves.

Biske

How should I play the 3vs matches? I always lose because one player is just camping it out, and if I go for that player they gang up on me.

My strategy which is pretty effective is to opportunistically switch focus back and forth. And just when a player things oh sweet let's hang up on this guy, start attacking them.

With draw away if you start to get caught in the middle, repeat

Sometimes they just both go for you or even in 4 for all, but switching focus constantly and backing in and out generally keeps me pretty safe. Also if a person gets a special and is attacking someone. Wait until they've done max damage to them, then attack at the end. Never stop a special that is attacking someone who isn't you

After playing for the past day, and as a street fighter fan/player, I'd like to see ARMS at more tournaments. This game is legit. I can see why Valle is excited about it.

Cartho

When playing in handheld mode and you punch, which stick do you use to aim? Left or right? Or can you use both?

Left to curve punches.

Finding GP 3 so much harder as Min Min than I did as Kid Cobra. At the semi final now but Ribbon girl just handed my ass to me so gonna call it a night. 🤔

DKL

After playing for the past day, and as a street fighter fan/player, I'd like to see ARMS at more tournaments. This game is legit. I can see why Valle is excited about it.

Further along in rank, the development of the meta is pretty interesting since it's pretty clear the idea that pushing buttons first will cause you to lose kinda doesn't make sense because of how super meter works.

You can't just sit there and not push things because the threat of super opens you up to YOLO throws that are safe.

Here's an interesting thing I've done:

I was down in a round and didn't believe in the comeback, so I charged super and had the opponent kill me right away so I wouldn't spend the round trying to make a comeback and then letting them build super.

People will probably be doing stuff like this in tournaments lol

Meter management is really interesting and I hope they patch 2 out of 3s into local switch to switch play at some point so we get full screens.

Dragoshi1

Whew, tried Ranked for the first time, rolling my Kid Cobra and Slam/Slap combo, and won 4 of my matches in a row, made it to rank 3.

But geez, the grab spamming is intense. Seems Sparky is super common, and usually it's thrown out, and then a grab comes in. It's hilarious sidestepping it, and watching the opponent do the whole shtick anyway.

But wow, my nerves are shot, pretty intense stuff.

drac96

They explain why Ninjara is so low. It's short and to the point. The entire article is worth a read.

Yeah I just don't agree with it haha. You still have to know which way he's dashing to punish it. He can also grab after teleporting which is very hard to react to (at least for me).

Then on the ground he can auto evade by guarding and then dash making him super hard to catch and very easy for him to scam the timer.

Everyone has their own opinion. I always find tier lists interesting. In this game especially, because it doesn't seem like some fighting games where characters are sometimes almost completely unviable.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
New page heh. Still tweaking this if anyone has any basic advice they want to add in for brand new players (like I was at launch)
Just reposting this with a couple tweaks based on discussion I've seen. This is just a little something for people jumping in to follow who might be beginning at a similar level. For reference, I am someone who considered Grand Prix 4 to be very challenging but I am enjoying going back through it multiple times and improving.
  • Do the training found in "Versus"- select and stick with the first character you want to get good with.
  • When you get to the "Guard Breaking" Training mission, repeat it a few times to mess around with your character's movement and the three Arms options you'll start with- every charter has unique starting weapons.
  • Continue through the training until you reach Twintelle at the end. This Twintelle is showing you a taste of Grand Prix Level 4 and up difficulty. It's up to you if you want to spend some time trying to actually kill her a few times, if not just leave the training and head into Grand Prix. Do not worry if you can't kill her at all, it's not worth getting frustrated over.
  • (for a more traditional fighting game training dummy, use Versus fight mode, no timer, no items, infinite health, stationary com. Practice as much as you want here.)
  • Do Grand Prix 1 through 3. If you find 3 considerably difficult, repeat it instead of moving on to 4. 3 is also a good time to get very familiar with the Arms you have available. Essentially 1, 2,and 3 should feel pretty smooth and easy by the time you're ready for 4.
  • You can quit a GP at any time and save all your progress.
  • Throughout working your way through these, you can jump into Party Mode for arcadey unranked multiplayer and to earn coins. It's pretty loose and there are lots of gimmick fights/handicaps. Try it whenever you feel generally comfortable with your main.
  • Whenever you have a substantial number of coins, hit the Get Arms minigame from the home screen to unlock some random Arms for random characters. The 100 (medium) and 200 (long) length versions are much more worthwhile than the 30.
  • Tackle GP4. Big difficulty spike here, especially the two final fights. This unlocks Ranked Matches.
  • Familiarize yourself with all the remaining Arms and consider which you might like to try for your main character so you know to swap them on as soon as you unlock them.
  • Jump right into Ranked if you're confident and just want to improve ASAP; keep doing Party Mode for fun/coins. GP 2/3 are also a decently quick, singleplayer source of coins.
  • Unless it felt super easy to you already, repeat GP4. This time focus on crafting your ideal Arms loadout you really want to get good with. Don't be afraid to abandon the run and restart to mess with your Arms. You do get some coins for every win.
  • Move on to the higher GPs, more Ranked games, conquer the world.

Daouzin

Anyone want to try/practice 1v1s with Helix?

I'm the Twintelle that managed to beat you once, lol.

What are you doing to alternate charged poppers? their range/spread is ridiculous and you just alternated back and fourth, didn't think you could do that with a charge in between.

Unicorn

What are you doing to alternate charged poppers? their range/spread is ridiculous and you just alternated back and fourth, didn't think you could do that with a charge in between.
Helix has infinite charge when goop or stretched.

twisteh

Dunno if I'm just playing scrubs, but grabs seem a bit OP. Won so many matches tonight in party mode just by dodging and grabbing,

Really love the game though, I have to say that Nintendo's online system (rightly at times) gets a lot of flak but had absolutely no issues at all playing ARMS for countless hours online, no lag at all which is impressive for a fighter.

I'd like to see some extra modes added as DLC to keep things fresh, we already have basketball and volleyball, why not some form of soccer too? :p

mojo2

Neo Member
Rank 15 Japanese player. Apparently that's the maximum for now?

https://youtu.be/0p1LYVvrgTY
Woah this video makes me sad for playing with buttons. He doesn't even use charge and he's pretty great. Looks fun, controlling them punches that precisely.

Anyway, how do you do the counterattack that tips & tricks instructs? It says block a hit and then instant dash but I couldn't execute it even if I tried in practice.

Yeah I don't know what happened that time, I guess it was a bad game or me just trying to learn your style. Lots of things are happening irl right now so I'm not doing my best, my apologies. But I'm not a man who blames things on outside factors, it was a close intense and fun match that you won fair and square, congrats :)

Sentry mode has permanently chargers arms. I make my opponent pick their poison, have me gain my rush in sentry, or attempt to close in and have the fight commence.

Meanwhile when I'm in a puddle I for all intents and purposes also have permanently charged arms

Xater

Dunno if I'm just playing scrubs, but grabs seem a bit OP. Won so many matches tonight in party mode just by dodging and grabbing,

Really love the game though, I have to say that Nintendo's online system (rightly at times) gets a lot of flak but had absolutely no issues at all playing ARMS for countless hours online, no lag at all which is impressive for a fighter.

I'd like to see some extra modes added as DLC to keep things fresh, we already have basketball and volleyball, why not some form of soccer too? :p

It's easy to do against people online that are just constantly over committing by just throwing out both arms all the time.

de_reddy

Neo Member
Sometimes I think I've got, and then I lose 3-4 matches in a row. This game makes me want to suplex my switch from time the time. Especially that gp 5 man. Even though B&B are ranked as c-tier, I hate them the most when encountering them in GP.

This game was the perfect follow-up for MK8 indeed.

KingBroly

Banned
I can see why people think Ribbon Girl and Twintelle are the best. They're the only characters with multiple jumps/dodges. I'd say Ribbon Girl is one step above Twintelle simply because she can Jump 3 times and Dodge as well, so she can REALLY mess people, especially with her Dive Bomb. I usually try Jump > Jump > Dodge > Dive Bomb > Grab. She seems almost too good sometimes.

But for the Get Arms Mini-game, I haven't found a character I want to use yet. Maybe Master Mummy since I could use 2 of the 3-shooters for extra range. I'm not sure.

I can see why people think Ribbon Girl and Twintelle are the best. They're the only characters with multiple jumps/dodges. I'd say Ribbon Girl is one step above Twintelle simply because she can Jump 3 times and Dodge as well, so she can REALLY mess people, especially with her Dive Bomb. I usually try Jump > Jump > Dodge > Dive Bomb > Grab. She seems almost too good sometimes.

But for the Get Arms Mini-game, I haven't found a character I want to use yet. Maybe Master Mummy since I could use 2 of the 3-shooters for extra range. I'm not sure.

I would suggest you add me and try out fighting my Helix, I do believe Helix should be S tier if not top A tier.

For the get ARMS it doesnt matter who you pick, everyone is forced to use a toaster

Daouzin

Yeah I don't know what happened that time, I guess it was a bad game or me just trying to learn your style. Lots of things are happening irl right now so I'm not doing my best, my apologies. But I'm not a man who blames things on outside factors, it was a close intense and fun match that you won fair and square, congrats :)

Sentry mode has permanently chargers arms. I make my opponent pick their poison, have me gain my rush in sentry, or attempt to close in and have the fight commence.

Meanwhile when I'm in a puddle I for all intents and purposes also have permanently charged arms

Cool yeah, I don't mind the strategy, just want to know what's happening.

Seems like a Noob Gate tactic so it's better I learn it now so it doesn't frustrate me later.

Totakeke

Woah this video makes me sad for playing with buttons. He doesn't even use charge and he's pretty great. Looks fun, controlling them punches that precisely.

Anyway, how do you do the counterattack that tips & tricks instructs? It says block a hit and then instant dash but I couldn't execute it even if I tried in practice.

It is as simple as it sounds, you probably didn't get the timing right. Here's a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agAclpmIOTA

EmSeta

Man, I'm pretty decent at fighting games, but I suuuuuck at this game. I feel like I have a hard time both hitting the opponent and evading punches.

I don't even know where to start.

It's funny though because the main dev focused more on a ground game during the Arms invitational. Someone asked him for advice later during a Treehouse and he advised not to jump so much as a player and focus on dodging via dashes.

Would be fun if to see how the meta develops.

Daouzin

Man, I'm pretty decent at fighting games, but I suuuuuck at this game. I feel like I have a hard time both hitting the opponent and evading punches.

I don't even know where to start.

Same, It's just it's own beast.

I recommend stepping away from it for a couple of hour if its gets frustrating. I know that worked for me. I went from meh, to thinking I like it and now I know I like it

DrDogg

In the uppers levels of play against rank 10 and 11, I can't play Helix like I normally can, somehow they're able to punish Helix after I punch first when before that was never likely since I would dodge and counter their counter. In general I've noticed that while Helix is evasive as all hell, he can still definitely be punished, it just seems it's much harder to do so. I need more feedback from those who've played against (my) Helix. Someone stated my recent poor performance might be mental fatigue but I fear there might be a flaw in either my play style or my arms and if there is I'm trying to figure out how to adjust and therefore will listen to feedback

Your play style is to basically spam double Poppers and evade whenever the opponent attacks you. That doesn't work with any other character/Arm combination aside from maybe Ribbon Girl in the air.

I really think it has to do with how much latency there is and how quickly an opponent has to punish you. Your setup of double Poppers is very good, and you play Helix+Poppers well... but I can't believe that's all there is to it. When you switched away from double Poppers you lost, likely because the slower attack speed meant I had more time to counter.

This is all speculation of course, but I couldn't replicate what you were doing offline. Every time I tried to evade the way you do, Helix got hit because he just couldn't move doing the periods when he should have recovery.

Even if it's only psychological on my part because of the outnumbered concept, there are definitely great Bytes and Barq's. I've seen a few even all the way up at rank 10 and 11

Lol at Helix being B, I have a feeling they don't know how to properly use him. It even got DrDogg surprised to the point that he found it borderline OP and broken which is something I'm a bit proud of since he seems like a rather skilled player with fighting game experience and all, much respect toward him

I wrote the Prima tier list. I moved Helix from C to B after fighting you. I still don't think Helix is any better than that because I can't replicate your evasion offline. You're good with Helix, but the game isn't all that deep. There are only so many ways you can move and evade. If I can't replicate what you're doing, there has to be something else going on. Until I figure out what that is, I can't rightfully move Helix up any higher than that.

Tier lists don't mean that the best always win. It's just that their win chance is higher compared to the other ones. When you make a real detailed tier list you go into match up. Ribbon Girl vs Mechanica might be a 8:2 match up or a 6:4 one. We don't know.

Not all fighting games use a matchup based tier list. I don't feel Arms falls into that category. Character matchups don't mean as much as the Arms the characters have equipped, so it'd be almost impossible to make a real matchup chart for the game.

This is very flawed. I havn't played Arms yet but anyone with experience in games where you can select weapons and equipment in an arena should know that match up drastically changes based on terrain.

For instance, Whammer is listed as C-Tier but considering its movement profile and huge hurt box I would say if you use it in Ninjara's or Ribbon girl's stages and maintain a high ground positioning you will be at a huge advantage.

You haven't played the game yet so how can you possible say the tier list is flawed?

High curve Arms are a bit better on stages with more obstacles, but not enough to change how good or bad they are overall. Whammer is one of the easiest Arms in the game to evade. Even if you have the height advantage (while important), I can still evade just as well, especially if I'm playing defensively. It's very difficult to open someone up in this game if they don't attack (unless you have Rush).

I think Prima also had a laughable Brawl guide back in the day. I wouldn't take a Prima guide seriously.

Edit: Sorry, Double Post

In the case of Arms, I only made the tier list because it was trending on Google. If that's what people want then that's what I'll write. I made it very clear that the tier list isn't definitive and will almost certainly change. I also made it clear that the tier list is based on the highest level of play with each character and will change if you're playing at a lower level or against someone who is lesser skilled.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Only reason I'm weary of buying this is because my Switch's wifi is a mess, utterly horrible range and obviously it doesn't make much sense to buy Arms for the single player...
ugh.

Daouzin

In the case of Arms, I only made the tier list because it was trending on Google. If that's what people want then that's what I'll write. I made it very clear that the tier list isn't definitive and will almost certainly change. I also made it clear that the tier list is based on the highest level of play with each character and will change if you're playing at a lower level or against someone who is lesser skilled.

I was on board until this. How do you know the highest level of play, LOL. I expect we won't see this until 3 months from now, if the game has any depth 1-2 years. If it has god level depth like 10-15 years.

I know what you mean, but I would change the verbiage haha.

haven't visited this thread since release. hope i didn't miss much here
been busy playing with Min Min

Quite a few kid cobras last session
took some quick footwork and well timed jumps / grabs to beat them in ranked

Also. Fought a good helix. close matches back and forth. so hard to hit
send him a friend request just for the good matches

Your play style is to basically spam double Poppers and evade whenever the opponent attacks you. That doesn't work with any other character/Arm combination aside from maybe Ribbon Girl in the air.

I really think it has to do with how much latency there is and how quickly an opponent has to punish you. Your setup of double Poppers is very good, and you play Helix+Poppers well... but I can't believe that's all there is to it. When you switched away from double Poppers you lost, likely because the slower attack speed meant I had more time to counter.

This is all speculation of course, but I couldn't replicate what you were doing offline. Every time I tried to evade the way you do, Helix got hit because he just couldn't move doing the periods when he should have recovery.

I wrote the Prima tier list. I moved Helix from C to B after fighting you. I still don't think Helix is any better than that because I can't replicate your evasion offline. You're good with Helix, but the game isn't all that deep. There are only so many ways you can move and evade. If I can't replicate what you're doing, there has to be something else going on. Until I figure out what that is, I can't rightfully move Helix up any higher than that.

Not all fighting games use a matchup based tier list. I don't feel Arms falls into that category. Character matchups don't mean as much as the Arms the characters have equipped, so it'd be almost impossible to make a real matchup chart for the game.

You haven't played the game yet so how can you possible say the tier list is flawed?

High curve Arms are a bit better on stages with more obstacles, but not enough to change how good or bad they are overall. Whammer is one of the easiest Arms in the game to evade. Even if you have the height advantage (while important), I can still evade just as well, especially if I'm playing defensively. It's very difficult to open someone up in this game if they don't attack (unless you have Rush).

Hi. I wrote both the Brawl guide and the Arms tier list. Please allow me to explain how this process works.

With the Brawl guide I was placed in a key card locked room at Nintendo HQ. I had no one to play against and no way to properly test multiplayer strategies. In that kind of environment there's only so much you can do.

I understand what you're saying but just beccause you can't replicate it, doesn't mean there has to be something else happening. With all due respect, Helix is relatively difficultly to use so perhaps that's what's happening? That or perhaps you need someone competent local to fully test. Though I must say I can replicate all I've done to you as Helix with level 7 AI and I've perfected them and won both rounds without losing.

I'm honored my matches with you caused a rise in the skill tier. Admittedly anything that's not the poppers does hamper movement slightly, but it makes it so I can only throw once instead of twice before being able to evade. Double sparkies or other arms still make it relatively easy to do all that. Again I'm down to practice with you whenever you'd like

Blunoise

I think i will go back to motion to master it, even if I lose a few battles I want to get good at motion since I think it has an advantage

Biske

I think i will go back to motion to master it, even if I lose a few battles I want to get good at motion since I think it has an advantage

I dunno, I'm a huge motioner. But really aside from grabs (honestly I cant easily do wide grabs in motion) you can do all the same curves with buttons and sticks

DrDogg

I was on board until this. How do you know the highest level of play, LOL. I expect we won't see this until 3 months from now, if the game has any depth 1-2 years. If it has god level depth like 10-15 years.

I know what you mean, but I would change the verbiage haha.

Yeah I mean it's the current highest level of play. That's why any tier list is constantly changing. As people get better the tier list will likely change. Even the Melee tier list still changes from time to time.

I understand what you're saying but just beccause you can't replicate it, doesn't mean there has to be something else happening. With all due respect, Helix is relatively difficultly to use so perhaps that's what's happening? That or perhaps you need someone competent local to fully test. Though I must say I can replicate all I've done to you as Helix with level 7 AI and I've perfected them and won both rounds without losing.

I'm honored my matches with you caused a rise in the skill tier. Admittedly anything that's not the poppers does hamper movement slightly, but it makes it so I can only throw once instead of twice before being able to evade. Double sparkies or other arms still make it relatively easy to do all that. Again I'm down to practice with you whenever you'd like

I'm debating if I want to get on now or not. I plan to watch CEO SF5 top 8 in 30 minutes. Maybe I'll just play until then.

Biske

On a completely different note. Snakeman stage is insane. It's almost busted.

So busted that I'm not really having trouble screwing over Kid Cobra on it in grand prix. If you are on the spiny thing and pinning them back, not even the over the top AI can get around it.

Yeah I mean it's the current highest level of play. That's why any tier list is constantly changing. As people get better the tier list will likely change. Even the Melee tier list still changes from time to time.

I'm debating if I want to get on now or not. I plan to watch CEO SF5 top 8 in 30 minutes. Maybe I'll just play until then.

Get on!

Top Bottom