• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

DrDogg

My guess is the popper is just that fast, it's not just you but all Twintelle's I've played go down because of them, especially if they curve

Yeah this just isn't fun. I don't know if I blame game design, lag, or Helix, but if I can't get close to you it's an automatic loss because the Poppers are too fast, and Twintelle's slow doesn't seem to work on you.

Yeah this just isn't fun. I don't know if I blame game design, lag, or Helix, but if I can't get close to you it's an automatic loss because the Poppers are too fast, and Twintelle's slow doesn't seem to work on you.

Helix is his own beast in his own right, you have to treat him completely differently and approach completely differently than anyone else, and even with that it still takes effort to beat him

What does this say about Helix's skill tier if he consistently wins against anyone like this?

I am jammed up hard in the GP4 match against B&B, the match is the target breaking minigame and I just can't beat out their three punches with Twintelle at all.

A lot of people have started to get used to the Twintelle method of playing, and at this point I would probably tell a lot of people to not use Twintelle's air, or to limit yourself from being in the air all the time. In casual play I've noticed a lot of players just waiting for you to land before even giving a shot at a punch.

Slapamanders are still great though. The only time they've become a hindrance is on small stages.

Gartooth

So aside from being able to fight Headlok at level 4 and above, is there any non-money incentive to play on a higher difficulty?

I beat gp level 4 with kid cobra, I lost 3 matches. Definitely my best so far. Gonna try 5 now and see how that goes.

I was getting slaughtered yesterday on level 3 so it seems I'm getting the hang of things.

DrDogg

Can't do shit about that double sparky

Don't attack first. All I'm doing is waiting for you to attack, dodging and counter punching. As soon as I have a knockdown I can then hover over you and apply pressure.

Helix is his own beast in his own right, you have to treat him completely differently and approach completely differently than anyone else, and even with that it still takes effort to beat him

You can't approach at all. I take damage no matter what, whether it's damage from being hit, chip damage from charged attacks or Arm damage from barely dodging.

KofMcaXl.jpg

Now that I got the hang of Snekman, it wasn't too hard beating difficulty 7. Only hold up was Hedlok, but once I switched to double Hydras and let the tracking do the work, he was handled.

Now for the rest of them... :S

Daouzin

Did you try the parasol? I felt like they worked well against Gore.

Don't attack first. All I'm doing is waiting for you to attack, dodging and counter punching. As soon as I have a knockdown I can then hover over you and apply pressure.

You can't approach at all. I take damage no matter what, whether it's damage from being hit, chip damage from charged attacks or Arm damage from barely dodging.

I know any scientific theory needs multiple trials, and judging by the fact that there are multiple, MULTIPLE accounts of people experiencing your pain, that few people have ever beaten my Helix, and that fewer still, if any, have beaten it consistently, what's the conclusion?

Bad matchup I suppose, that trampoline blocked my punishes

Daouzin

So what is the GAF consensus on A-tier characters now that we are two days in?

I wouldn't worry about a tier list of any kind until a week or 2 out. Just an opportunity for people to complain and make excuses. Gives theory crafting a spot light over competence.

So how are you playing your Helix? Other than the double poppers, because I haven't run into a helix player at all yet that did anything really spectacular against me.

My evasion game, it is on point to say the least. I would reccomend you ask everyone else here so you hear their perspective. I also recommend you face off against me

You practically have to

-Use the right arms
-Stay way too close for comfort
-Predict me correctly

To even have a shot against taking him down

Though I'll admit the double poppers are almost a must, for many many reasons

Kebiinu

Banned
Getting much better with Ribbon Girl. Starting to breeze through GP5, Bite and Bark or whatever their names are, had me stumped.

What's the consensus on the meta for this game? Particularly in terms of arm viability? For example, will TO's allow custom arms or will we be stuck with the default arms for characters? I heard there's a way to unlock all arms for that reason particularly.

I just don't want to progress with arms I'm comfortable with, then get stunted at a tourney when I can't use what I want.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Got the game today for Father's Day...

I am BAD at the motion controls. My daughter loves them. I find movement and punching difficult. I have my daughter standing right in front of me and when I punch it always veers left and right of them... I guess its because I can't keep my hands straight when punching and it curves not on purpose?

What are the downsides to not using motion controls? I honestly found it more enjoyable just using a sideways Joycon to motion. I'm not going to give up on them though.

Speely

Banned
Getting much better with Ribbon Girl. Starting to breeze through GP5, Bite and Bark or whatever their names are, had me stumped.

What's the consensus on the meta for this game? Particularly in terms of arm viability? For example, will TO's allow custom arms or will we be stuck with the default arms for characters? I heard there's a way to unlock all arms for that reason particularly.

I just don't want to progress with arms I'm comfortable with, then get stunted at a tourney when I can't use what I want.

No one knows yet. I hope it's completely open, though. I think that limiting arms choice would cater to a needlessly-limited meta.

Got the game today for Father's Day...

I am BAD at the motion controls. My daughter loves them. I find movement and punching difficult. I have my daughter standing right in front of me and when I punch it always veers left and right of them... I guess its because I can't keep my hands straight when punching and it curves not on purpose?

What are the downsides to not using motion controls? I honestly found it more enjoyable just using a sideways Joycon to motion. I'm not going to give up on them though.

Use your wrists, not arms.

Traditional controls can't control two different trajectories or wide grab (as easily)

DrDogg

Did you try the parasol? I felt like they worked well against Gore.

You'd have to play too slow for that to work, IMO. I'll give it a shot though.

So how are you playing your Helix? Other than the double poppers, because I haven't run into a helix player at all yet that did anything really spectacular against me.

He attacks relentlessly with double Poppers. This makes it extremely difficult to approach. If you do manage to get close or he closes in on you, and you evade the Poppers and go for a counter punch, 99% of the time, no matter the situation, he evades your counter punch and punishes. Rinse and repeat.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Use your wrists, not arms.

Traditional controls can't control two different trajectories or wide grab (as easily)

Yeah, I know that. I'm doing thumbs up and just flicking my wrist to punch. I guess it's the combination of walking to the left or right and trying to punch at the same time... I'm inadvertently curving my punch? I've only been playing for a few hours today, I guess it takes more practice.

Yeah, I know that. I'm doing thumbs up and just flicking my wrist to punch. I guess it's the combination of walking to the left or right and trying to punch at the same time... I'm inadvertently curving my punch? I've only been playing for a few hours today, I guess it takes more practice.

Yeah in both cases movement and curves are via the same controls so you do what you gotta do

Speely

Banned

I do that too. I am bad about adjusting from movement direction to punch direction. I think lots of motion control players are trying to dial that in right now, fwiw.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Impulse/drunk bought this digitally today despite planning to pass on it after the test punches.

Still can't get into the motion controls, but having a blast playing with the pro controller. I'm on a fighting game kick with Injustice 2, Tekken 7 and now this. Nice change of pace after burning myself out on long story-driven games.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Yeah in both cases movement and curves are via the same controls so you do what you gotta do

Yeah I just find movement + dodge and jumping on the shoulder buttons + flicking wrist to punch + twisting to curve on each hand... is just... almost too much for my brain to handle.

Kind of like patting your head and rubbing your stomach type of thing. I dunno maybe its not for me. My kids like it though because they're just swinging around and having fun. But I feel like I am fighting my brain with what I want to happen and making my hands actually do it.

Biske

You'd have to play too slow for that to work, IMO. I'll give it a shot though.

He attacks relentlessly with double Poppers. This makes it extremely difficult to approach. If you do manage to get close or he closes in on you, and you evade the Poppers and go for a counter punch, 99% of the time, no matter the situation, he evades your counter punch and punishes. Rinse and repeat.

Yeah. Sad to say, playing against that Helix isn't fun at all.

Nice, DrDogg! I'm tempted to say I played poorly but it's a bit hard to believe that myself. That felt more like a skill v skill match and was very close, regardless I'm sure you were still very anxious. Did you do anything differently?

DKL

The puddle needs to go. If you're using traditional controls it's very difficult to hit the puddle. I call foul play.

You have to be in the air to consistently get at the thing. This is kind of what me and Gore figured out when playing long sets.

That said, he can mix it up with various options, so you're looking for what he'll be doing next and then punishing that (the easiest one being tall stand into air dash since Helix is falling for forever).

ngower

Got some ranked matches in and did well....so long as in Twintelle. I don't know (a) if she's just that good (b) I can play with her really well or (c) I know the mechanics but can only execute with her slow down

DrDogg

Nice, DrDogg! I'm tempted to say I played poorly but it's a bit hard to believe that myself. That felt more like a skill v skill match and was very close, regardless I'm sure you were still very anxious. Did you do anything differently?

I switched back to my double Shocky Arms. I figured since people were having luck with the Parasols, they were basically using mediums to beat your lights. But instead of switching to slow Parasols, I just switched to my faster Shocky Arms. With that setup and my extended analysis of your play I used my double Cracker strategy, only with medium double Shocky Arms.

The only issue was the puddle. Poppers/Crackers have a wide enough hit box that I could hit you in puddle without motion controls. Switching to Shocky I couldn't do that because of the smaller hit box. That's actually where Parasols would come into play, but I just feel they're too slow.

I switched back to my double Shocky Arms. I figured since people were having luck with the Parasols, they were basically using mediums to beat your lights. But instead of switching to slow Parasols, I just switched to my faster Shocky Arms. With that setup and my extended analysis of your play I used my double Cracker strategy, only with medium double Shocky Arms.

The only issue was the puddle. Poppers/Crackers have a wide enough hit box that I could hit you in puddle without motion controls. Switching to Shocky I couldn't do that because of the smaller hit box. That's actually where Parasols would come into play, but I just feel they're too slow.

Everyone agrees nothing is particularly EFFECTIVE per se

How do people start a game in party mode with a full special meter?

If you lose or win enough times in a row, certain effects kick in. If you win five in a row for example, you start off with 25% less health than normal. Losing, that's when you start with super meter.

I am really digging Kid Cobra with how easy it is to chain dashes/slaps, because usually I can get a full charge between dashes to keep the dash train going.

molnizzle

Ok, how can you possibly counter a Spring-Man who constantly dodges? Even if I throw an arm out when both of his are fully extended he has time to dash to the side and avoid all damage. It feels like it's impossible to hit him.

Renna Hazel

If you lose or win enough times in a row, certain effects kick in. If you win five in a row for example, you start off with 25% less health than normal. Losing, that's when you start with super meter.

I am really digging Kid Cobra with how easy it is to chain dashes/slaps, because usually I can get a full charge between dashes to keep the dash train going.

Ah, that explains why I started a match against lvl. 7 headlock with my health gone. totally unfair.

Gonna take a break to eat brb

Ok, how can you possibly counter a Spring-Man who constantly dodges? Even if I throw an arm out when both of his are fully extended he has time to dash to the side and avoid all damage. It feels like it's impossible to hit him.

If spring is giving you trouble don't even bother with Helix

Top Bottom