• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Speely

Banned
Ok, how can you possibly counter a Spring-Man who constantly dodges? Even if I throw an arm out when both of his are fully extended he has time to dash to the side and avoid all damage. It feels like it's impossible to hit him.

Sounds like Spring Man is using fast arms there. Use fast and/or curving arms yourself. Birds, chaks, or poppers might help you land punches. Curvy arms can be good for punishing dashers if you predict their direction, but I feel like Poppers are the best for laying down a field of suppressive fire that is v hard to avoid.

Sounds like Spring Man is using fast arms there. Use fast and/or curving arms yourself. Birds, chaks, or poppers might help you land punches. Curvy arms can be good for punishing dashers if you predict their direction, but I feel like Poppers are the best for laying down a field of suppressive fire that is v hard to avoid.

Where'd you get the popper idea from? :p

mohuerta

Did the ARMS getter with 30 coins a couple times and came out with 2 on the first and 3 on the second. Decided to save up for the 200 coins and did that a couple times too. Came back with 15 on the first and 20 on the second. Coins/ARM is close, but I think it's possible to do better at 200 and have the ARMS drop at a higher rate. Also, it just feels better to get a bunch at once.

DrDogg, or to anyone who has played Twintelle, if my experiences are correct, it appears that's Twintelle's stop is MUCH more effective on the ground than in the air, enough to stop even Poppers and to properly evade or punch through

molnizzle

I feel like he has enough time to dodge the other way when I throw out a curvy arm. He was just using two of the red punching gloves. I played 2 games against me and he perfected me every round. Literally couldn't hit him.

DrDogg, or to anyone who has played Twintelle, if my experiences are correct, it appears that's Twintelle's stop is MUCH more effective on the ground than in the air, enough to stop even Poppers and to properly evade or punch through

It is wich is why i only tried to counter your hits

DrDogg

Are gore and dogg In a joinable lobby? I'm eating breakfest right now, but might try squeeze in a game after, if that's okay ^^

I left to watch CEO. I might be back after SF5 top 8.

Ok, how can you possibly counter a Spring-Man who constantly dodges? Even if I throw an arm out when both of his are fully extended he has time to dash to the side and avoid all damage. It feels like it's impossible to hit him.

Without knowing specifics, try getting closer. The closer you are the less time the opponent has to avoid your counter punch. Otherwise, if the Spring Man is constantly dash charging to get the deflect, you can hit him right at the end/beginning of the dash when the deflect is not active.

Did the ARMS getter with 30 coins a couple times and came out with 2 on the first and 3 on the second. Decided to save up for the 200 coins and did that a couple times too. Came back with 15 on the first and 20 on the second. Coins/ARM is close, but I think it's possible to do better at 200 and have the ARMS drop at a higher rate. Also, it just feels better to get a bunch at once.

If you can get 3 from the 30-coin option that's a better choice than getting 15 from the 200-coin version and about equal with getting 20. You can definitely get more from both though. I've gotten as much as 6 from the 30 and upward of 30 from the 200.

There seems to be less recovery on the ground, but otherwise they're the same. It depends how long the Twintelle holds it, positioning, distance, etc.

Got this for fathers day... playing with my 3 year old daughter. Its great fun.

Z2Wmoft.jpg

7JHfyhG.jpg

I left to watch CEO. I might be back after SF5 top 8.

Without knowing specifics, try getting closer. The closer you are the less time the opponent has to avoid your counter punch. Otherwise, if the Spring Man is constantly dash charging to get the deflect, you can hit him right at the end/beginning of the dash when the deflect is not active.

If you can get 3 from the 30-coin option that's a better choice than getting 15 from the 200-coin version and about equal with getting 20. You can definitely get more from both though. I've gotten as much as 6 from the 30 and upward of 30 from the 200.

There seems to be less recovery on the ground, but otherwise they're the same. It depends how long the Twintelle holds it, positioning, distance, etc.

So, I'm curious as to your reworked thoughts about Helix, the game, everything in general. Personally I still don't believe he deserves B tier :p but in all seriousness I'd like to see if your perspective has changed since at first you seemed doubtful and dumbfounded but it seems you've accepted it

And Dogg I'm certain, I can hit you easily in the air but I can't if it's on the ground

HyperHip

Gg's to everyone I got to play in the Gaf Lobby. Felt like I did a bit better than the complete curb-stomp that was yesterday. I need those shock gloves for Twintelle, hopefully that crappy minigame plays nice with me!

MGrant

How the hell do I beat Twintelle floaty thing?

Wait until just before she starts to fall from it and punish it. If you throw out punches as she jumps, she's just going to dodge them. The good news is that if she throws a punch in the air she's free to get supered.

I think last night I was just tired and was suffering through illness Gwyn, I'm felling better now xD

But in all serious ggs, it's fun for me and hopefully a workout for you

Finally beat CPU Ninjara on lvl 4 grand Prix, what a colossal cunt, I've faced a fair amount of bullshit AI in my time and this guy is up there without even being on the upper end of the difficulty options.

molnizzle

I feel like this game is more about guessing than any other fighting game. It's all so random. Every match comes down to if my opponent decides to go where I throw my punch.

molnizzle

So when are you supposed to use your rush? I try to do the stuff that my opponents do to me but they just dash out of the way. I always get hit and can't do shit to respond. I've tried while they're in the air, while they have punches out, etc. I either whiff completely or hit once and they can still get away. I always take the full brunt of it. What am I missing?

This game really does an absolutely horrible job of explaining itself.

DrDogg

So, I'm curious as to your reworked thoughts about Helix, the game, everything in general. Personally I still don't believe he deserves B tier :p but in all seriousness I'd like to see if your perspective has changed since at first you seemed doubtful and dumbfounded but it seems you've accepted it

And Dogg I'm certain, I can hit you easily in the air but I can't if it's on the ground

I still don't think that highly of Helix as a character. Helix with the double Poppers is a problem, but I kind of feel like any character can do the keep away part of it. That's just poor game design (imo). The tier list is based on only the character, not the Arms you're using with the character.

Helix with non-light Arms still doesn't seem to be anywhere near as much of an issue. If anything I'd move Poppers from A to S-tier, but I still think Shocky is better overall.

If you switched Arms to anything other than lights, do you think you'd be doing as well? You have a significant advantage, but I've beat you with and without your lights. I think I'd need to play more but when you didn't use lights the win was much easier as I recall.

I feel like this game is more about guessing than any other fighting game. It's all so random. Every match comes down to if my opponent decides to go where I throw my punch.

I would actually say the exact opposite. I feel there's far less guessing in this game compared to most other fighting games. If I'm right on top of you then at times I may have to guess if you're going to throw, but otherwise I'm basically not guessing at all.

random25

So when are you supposed to use your rush? I try to do the stuff that my opponents do to me but they just dash out of the way. I always get hit and can't do shit to respond. I've tried while they're in the air, while they have punches out, etc. I either whiff completely or hit once and they can still get away. I always take the full brunt of it. What am I missing?

Use it when your opponent throws a punch or while airborne. That's the opening you need to use your rush attack.

molnizzle

Use it when your opponent throws a punch or while airborne. That's the opening you need to use your rush attack.

They just dodge away. Every. Single. Time.

I would actually say the exact opposite. I feel there's far less guessing in this game compared to most other fighting games. If I'm right on top of you then at times I may have to guess if you're going to throw, but otherwise I'm basically not guessing at all.

...how? The entire game is guessing where your opponent is going to dash to and try to have an arm there waiting for them.

DrDogg

Distance and Arm weight play a big part in what's guaranteed and what can be evaded. If you're not all that close or you're using heavier Arms it's fairly easy to escape a Rush even if you interrupted my punch.

You may also be experiencing lag. Unless there's elevation or obstacles in the way, if you hit with any punch during a Rush, the rest should connect. The only times I've seen this not occur was when lag forced the match out of sync.

I still don't think that highly of Helix as a character. Helix with the double Poppers is a problem, but I kind of feel like any character can do the keep away part of it. That's just poor game design (imo). The tier list is based on only the character, not the Arms you're using with the character.

Helix with non-light Arms still doesn't seem to be anywhere near as much of an issue. If anything I'd move Poppers from A to S-tier, but I still think Shocky is better overall.

If you switched Arms to anything other than lights, do you think you'd be doing as well? You have a significant advantage, but I've beat you with and without your lights. I think I'd need to play more but when you didn't use lights the win was much easier as I recall.

What if next time I use different arms and things turn out relatively the same?

I believe I can do as well indeed

Keep in mind you're judging only from a single match, and I myself haven't used anything outside of poppers too much so I likely needed adjustment

molnizzle

Distance and Arm weight play a big part in what's guaranteed and what can be evaded. If you're not all that close or you're using heavier Arms it's fairly easy to escape a Rush even if you interrupted my punch.

You may also be experiencing lag. Unless there's elevation or obstacles in the way, if you hit with any punch during a Rush, the rest should connect. The only times I've seen this not occur was when lag forced the match out of sync.

How do I know which arms are "heavier?"

molnizzle

If your arms are on the slow side, you might want to close the gap before using it. What I always do is to dash forward, bait a punch, then rush.

I use salamander and homie. Are those slow? Because even if I dash forward and bait a punch they still seem to dodge. The only time my rush ever connects is if they throw out both arms while airborne. And even then I need to be literally right below them.

DrDogg

Is the popper ultimate safe? Can't seem to punish it.

All Rush attacks are safe when blocked. They have to miss for you to be able to punish unless it's a 1v1v1 or something.

...how? The entire game is guessing where your opponent is going to dash to and try to have an arm there waiting for them.

Not the way I play. I generally don't attack unless the opponent attacks first and I dodge. Even then I won't attack if I don't think it will connect. This only changes if I'm fishing or building meter with a single punch (usually from a distance). Also, once I get a knockdown I will sometimes apply heavy pressure forcing you to get away from me or properly counter.

What if next time I use different arms and things turn out relatively the same?

The problems fighting you come in the double Popper spam and the super fast recovery from the double Poppers. Now if you switch to slower Arms you shouldn't be able to apply that full screen pressure and I should be able to punish normally. That's what happened in our one match when you didn't use Poppers.

If Helix evasion is indeed broken by default, then you should still be just as evasive with heavier Arms, but it should be because you were using light Arms. If that's not the case, then the developers made a big error with Helix's evasion and you seem to be the only Helix aware of it. I don't have issues with any other Helix.

How do I know which arms are "heavier?"

Scroll down to the table.

Biske

One other good thing is get a shocky mcshock face arm, and when they are all paralyzed, then rush em.

Sometimes you wait right until a punch is going to hit you then BAM RUSH! cause it will deflect the punches and then you get em. you get em good.

But the best, THE BEST TIME is to wait until they are attacking someone else, let em rush, let em do the damage, THEN RUSH! HAH!

molnizzle

Not the way I play. I generally don't attack unless the opponent attacks first and I dodge. Even then I won't attack if I don't think it will connect. This only changes if I'm fishing or building meter with a single punch (usually from a distance). Also, once I get a knockdown I will sometimes apply heavy pressure forcing you to get away from me or properly counter.

Don't you lose out on building rush that way? The high level videos I watched had guys going ham with the offense.

*sigh*

Unacceptable that this shit isn't in the game itself.

random25

I use salamander and homie. Are those slow? Because even if I dash forward and bait a punch they still seem to dodge. The only time my rush ever connects is if they throw out both arms while airborne. And even then I need to be literally right below them.

Homie is pretty slow, and while salamander is very fast, it's hitbox is not that big and your opponent can dash on the side where your homie is, so yeah you might need to get close. The best timing of rush really is to use it like a counter.

Top Bottom