• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Anyone checking these? (With sloppy google translation)

DC5MOQoUwAIovxj.jpg

History of ARMS 3:
Although the ARMS ability existed from the ancient times as mentioned above, the history as a game remains only about 120 years.
A phenomenon occurring in an ability person prevented a competition.
That situation was changed to "mask" which is the invention of the ARMS agency (present ARMS laboratory).

Need lanky mask guy and someone with arms for a moustache STAT

E: better translation from here
Although the ARMS-ability has existed since ancient times as aforementioned, its history as a competitive sport lasts only about 120 years.

The nature in which the phenomenon occurs in an ARMS-ability carrier.. hindered their ability to compete.

The situation changed with the invention of the "Mask" by the ARMS Agency (now ARMS Laboratory)"

E2: some other cool stuff: 1 in 100.000 people are born with Arms (Kid Cobra is one of them, haha), but 20% of the population now apparently has the abilities - and that's just the people who reported to the agency! I really hope we also get more "regular people" who took on the championship down the road, like a Fireman with a hose for an arm or the like, dunno.

bumpkin

Okay, that was kind of funny...

I started playing Party Mode, and on the second or third game, I got matched up against the player with the most points in the lobby for a 1-on-1 fight. Early on in the match, I was getting smacked around. I couldn't land any hits and I couldn't avoid their attacks. It was then that I started noticing a pattern of how/where I was getting hit, and so I figured out a good counter, they bit, and I punished. They tried the same thing again, so I countered and punished again. This happened six or seven times, at which point I had mounted a full comeback and won the match. They exited the lobby after the match was over and I laughed heartily.

I got my ass kicked in several matches afterwards. Still, it felt good to turn the tables on someone and win.

Luigi87

So I normally play with the Pro controller, but decided to get some practice in with the motion controls. Decided to start at GP lv.4 with them because I felt why not.

Up to Max Brass, but gonna take a break, this is exhausting, lol
One thing I need to sorely practice with motion is throwing a punch when I want to, and a throw when I want to. Too often I accidentally push both hands forward sending out a throw when I didn't want to.

Luigi87

Anyone checking these? (With sloppy google translation)

Need lanky mask guy and someone with arms for a moustache STAT

I want everything to lead up to the dark truth that ARMS is set far in the past of Splatoon's post-apocalyptic world.

Edit: Do'h, meant to append previous, not double post >_<

bumpkin

Grand Prix level 4, getting my ass handed to me right from the gate as Spring Boy.
I find it interesting that they won't let you play Ranked until you finish the GP at level 4 or higher.

Of course that means the level of skill in Ranked is probably going to be higher because of it. Maybe I'm better off just sticking to Party Mode. lol.

Lucentto

Banned
Yep, fuck this game. I quit.

Dealing with certain arm setups for some characters is far too infuriating. Punishing characters like Ribbon Girl and Ninjara is an absolute bitch. I'm just going to quit while I'm ahead, before I end up like Yoshichan and eat my controller or something.

VillageBC

I find it interesting that they won't let you play Ranked until you finish the GP at level 4 or higher.

Of course that means the level of skill in Ranked is probably going to be higher because of it. Maybe I'm better off just sticking to Party Mode. lol.

That's why I was trying to beat GP 4... But nope, looks like I'll be stuck in party mode for a long long time.

Speely

Banned

I started playing Party Mode, and on the second or third game, I got matched up against the player with the most points in the lobby for a 1-on-1 fight. Early on in the match, I was getting smacked around. I couldn't land any hits and I couldn't avoid their attacks. It was then that I started noticing a pattern of how/where I was getting hit, and so I figured out a good counter, they bit, and I punished. They tried the same thing again, so I countered and punished again. This happened six or seven times, at which point I had mounted a full comeback and won the match. They exited the lobby after the match was over and I laughed heartily.

I got my ass kicked in several matches afterwards. Still, it felt good to turn the tables on someone and win.

The bolded is what I have experienced online outside of gaffers who are way better than I.

Party Mode is awesome.

Just had my very best GP 4 to date, this time as Twintelle (Chilla and Thunderbird throughout). Went 2-0 in every round up to the final (2-1 against Hedlok) and a quick 5-0 in V-Ball, all with no rematches. The only sticking point was Skillshot, since my opponent was Byte & Barq, but after losing miserably on the first two attempts I found a good answer to this: double Parasol, constantly and pre-emptively punching before the targets even came up in order to shut down Barq the whole game. That put me comfortably ahead. And Hedlok may have taken a round off me, but it was highly satisfying to blow him up with a bomb for the KO in round 3.

This really did feel like a return to easy mode after slogging through the same difficulty with default Helix. At level 4, the AI doesn't have a good answer for Twintelle's aerial game, though I doubt I could just bring it over to multiplayer as is since it would be so easy to read.

jengo

Haven't picked this up yet, but I've seen people online ask if upgraded Arms can be used in Ranked mode. I have yet to see this answered (even after Googling, which is weird). For a game drumming up momentum for serious competitive play, isn't this kind of odd? I would think the answer would be an easy "no", but can someone confirm and maybe add it to the OP?

Speely

Banned
Haven't picked this up yet, but I've seen people online ask if upgraded Arms can be used in Ranked mode. I have yet to see this answered (even after Googling, which is weird). For a game drumming up momentum for serious competitive play, isn't this kind of odd? I would think the answer would be an easy "no", but can someone confirm and maybe add it to the OP?

Yes.

I had two great matches with Shrek,and this Master Mummy that i had today. Shrek is an absolute rush down master with Twintelle. Using her time slow to make it hard to stop her from getting in your face and using the parasoul and popper bros to make trades. With that said I used a Megaton and i was finally able to get him away from he and even won. After seeing him in other streams and facing him before it felt great to stop his shenanigans. Also the Master Mummy I fought was also really good. Using dual crackers and planting his ass constantly applying pressure so i used revolver and was able to trade pretty favorably by stunning him and getting free grabs, and rushes. Despire that it was really down to the wire and I managed to win our 3 out of 5 by good grab reads and applying pressure with dragon revolver. God this game is so good when you figure each other out and try to outplay the other. The game still needs some changes but it has some great potential right now.

Still hoping Little Mac makes a guest fighter appearance. Has no stretchy arms but really strong parry/movement game.

It would be interesting to see that character type brought into ARMS: a close-quarter fighter who can be a nightmare if allowed to come inside, but very much beatable when kept at arms length. On the other side of that, a Little Mac user would have to figure out how to get close while dodging/parrying everyone's long arms.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I normally play with the Pro controller, but decided to get some practice in with the motion controls. Decided to start at GP lv.4 with them because I felt why not.

Up to Max Brass, but gonna take a break, this is exhausting, lol
One thing I need to sorely practice with motion is throwing a punch when I want to, and a throw when I want to. Too often I accidentally push both hands forward sending out a throw when I didn't want to.
You rock, everyone follow this man's lead

The punch vs throw thing is tough! It helps to keep your hands further away from one another then you might think you should,
which also helps make it easier to do wide grabs. But it's even trickier when your build needs to distinguish between grab and a quick one two punch all the time. But eventually it becomes natural.

Also this might sound kind of ridiculous especially if it's already tiring, but I have found I have actually done better standing in kind of an actual fighting stance and throwing real small punches, rather than the little jerky kind of motion you can get by doing (like, the smallest motion that registers the input you want). Could be crazy though.
Still hoping Little Mac makes a guest fighter appearance. Has no stretchy arms but really strong parry/movement game.
Pleeease

Luigi87

You rock, everyone follow this man's lead

The punch vs throw thing is tough! It helps to keep your hands further away from one another then you might think you should,
which also helps make it easier to do wide grabs. But it's even trickier when your build needs to distinguish between grab and a quick one two punch all the time. But eventually it becomes natural.

Also this might sound kind of ridiculous especially if it's already tiring, but I have found I have actually done better standing in kind of an actual fighting stance and throwing real small punches, rather than the little jerky kind of motion you can get by doing (like, the smallest motion that registers the input you want). Could be crazy though.

I get what you mean. I definitely felt I was improving once I opted to stand out as opposed to sitting down. I will certainly try keeping my arms further apart when I resume play.

Durden77

I just can't seem to stray away from Spring man with 2 boxing gloves. For a long time I was just using 2 toasters, but now I use the Toaster and the Chilla after unlocking it.

I mean I do pretty well. I just want punches, I'm scared of the other arms.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Man if Buff/Bubb turns out to be legit I called it. I have no proof but the first time I saw Bubb, I read it twice and I wrote a note down in Notepad that just said "Buff" with the intention of coming back to it later. (I meant Bubb, just confused it with the Ninjara one)

I have no proof that this happened of course. But it did. I should have make a freaking post, you would have all thought I was nostradamus up in here.

What I was thinking to myself at the time was:
It's actually pretty shocking for the devs to state in an item's in-game description, "high-level players favor this weapon." It's a lot like saying "THIS IS A HIGH TIER WEAPON EVEN THOUGH NO ONE NOTICED IT BEFORE" and the community still, initially, sleeping on it.

If indeed the case, I would cite this as evidence of a thoroughly-tested and initially well-balanced game. In other words, the intended meta and emergent meta aligned, which is to some extent a design goal of a fighting game.

Man if Buff/Bubb turns out to be legit I called it. I have no proof but the first time I saw Bubb, I read it twice and I wrote a note down in Notepad that just said "Buff" with the intention of coming back to it later. (I meant Bubb, just confused it with the Ninjara one)

I have no proof that this happened of course. But it did. I should have make a freaking post, you would have all thought I was nostradamus up in here.

It's actually pretty shocking for the devs to state in an item's in-game description, "high-level players favor this weapon." It's a lot like saying "THIS IS A HIGH TIER WEAPON EVEN THOUGH NO ONE NOTICED IT BEFORE" and the community still, initially, sleeping on it.

If indeed the case, I would cite this as evidence of a thoroughly-tested and initially well-balanced game. In other words, the intended meta and emergent meta aligned, which is to some extent a design goal of a fighting game.

What makes that ARM so good over any of the glove ones with attributes?

For the record he is saying this due to me showing him a sneak peak of Dan and I's how to be competitive/advance/rank 15/high level (for now) guide we're working on. One of the sections is popularly used and really good weapons that are seen often in rank 15 and around there and by that level you can't go anywhere without seeing a Buff/Bubb in an opponent's set up

Specifically what makes it so good is that it's essentially a mini megaton, growing bigger in size and subsequently allowing for offense and defense by doing so. The lack of an element also means you can wail on someone continuously provided that it's not a 1-2 combo and you can also create a wall of giant fist to spam in order to gain your meter. It's not that slow either which is also a plus.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
For the record he is saying this due to me showing him a sneak peak of Dan and I's how to be competitive/advance/rank 15/high level (for now) guide we're working on. One of the sections is popularly used and really good weapons that are seen often in rank 15 and around there and by that level you can't go anywhere without seeing a Buff/Bubb in an opponent's set up
sorry I didn't want to just drop that in and call your guide out as wrong in case anything changes. But like I said, if it turns out to really be that competitive that's some crazy shit to put in your game text

What makes that ARM so good over any of the glove ones with attributes?

It's big and fast. So it can contest most stuff in the game and it's hard to punish someone using it. What makes it really good is that because of the way they work it makes charging meter really easy so while you force your opponents to dance around and find an opening you might have meter so now you force your opponent to be even more safer than they are or they risk getting rushed.

sorry I didn't want to just drop that in and call your guide out as wrong in case anything changes. But like I said, if it turns out to really be that competitive that's some crazy shit to put in your game text

Well everything changes hence the "(for now)" but at the very least that is indeed what we're seeing in the highest level of play right now

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I believe the gloves break down:

Toaster - Fastest, most damage and knockdown
Buff - Curved punch, best curving ability, buffs in size when charged
Chilla - Damage on par with Buff/Bubb, ice
Sparky - Worst damage and slowest, electric
Bubb - Straight punch, buffs in size when charged

Also, could be wrong, but I will drop in a quick prediction here as well that electric as an element generally speaking may be a bit overrated, specifically because of the arms on which they appear within their class (arm type). I'm a bit shocked (heh) there are no electric boomerang-style weapons; I wonder if, in testing, that was its perfect match and it was OP, and watered down to the Chakram's Stun (leaving a still-excellent weapon IMO). Chakram could easily have been "Normal" element (like Buff and Bubb).

Can't independently verify right now, but here's how I believe the gloves break down:

Toaster - Most damage and knockdown
Buff - Best curving ability
Chilla - Damage on par with Buff/Bubb, ice
Sparky - Worst damage, electric
Bubb - Fastest

I will say that they are all probably quite "viable" as are combinations. But at really high level play I can see speed winning out?

Also, could be wrong, but I will drop in a quick prediction here as well that electric as an element generally speaking may be a bit overrated, specifically because of the arms on which they appear within their class (arm type). I'm a bit shocked (heh) there are no electric boomerang-style weapons; I wonder if, in testing, that was its perfect match and it was OP, and watered down to the Chakram's stun (leaving a still-excellent weapon IMO). Chakram could easily have been "Normal" element (like Buff and Bubb).

Pretty sure toaster is the fastest with most damage and knockdown. It's just smaller and has to be aimed more. Sparky or any electric weapon is the slowest of its class making electricity extinct in higher ranks. Bubb while not the fastest like stated are balance and still fast but get bigger (as does Buff), though Bubb is more of a straight punch than a curved one.

Speed usually wins out but Bubb/ff produce a wall of fists that's hard to penetrate and allows your opponent to charge quickly

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Pretty sure toaster is the fastest with most damage and knockdown. It's just smaller and has to be aimed more. Sparky or any electric weapon is the slowest of its class making electricity extinct in higher ranks. Bubb while not the fastest like stated are balance and still fast but get bigger (as does Buff), though Bubb is more of a straight punch than a curved one.
gotcha! thx.

I've never thrown a punch with Bubb... tried buff (ninjara starter) a few times and got nowhere. Putting that back in the rotation lol.

edit: Fixed in the above.

gotcha! thx.

I've never thrown a punch with Bubb... tried buff (ninjara starter) a few times and got nowhere. Putting that back in the rotation lol.

edit: Fixed in the above.

That all sounds about right

I feel like electricity became too powerful so the developers also needed any weapons with those attributes to oblivion

This tournament going on in the LevelUp stream seems really unorganized lol.

Hopefully they eventually figure out how to set up games correctly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
They can.

Each arm can be upgraded once and they can be used in Ranked. They confer a relatively small advantage, IMO- they will not compensate for skill to any degree. But it is a vertical advantage, so this is a fair complaint.

All of the highly competitive people simply already have them all or mostly unlocked.

TZchassis

I've had a similar experience in Ranked where I lost the first round but noticed a pattern, then won two rounds after that. Probably one of my most satisfying Ranked battles.

Top Bottom