• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Army of Two thread...

Nizz

I'm wondering if, in theory, you could use a controller adaptor and play this game with a Dualshock 2? I swear I remember reading about someone playing Warhawk with the Dualshock 2. I'll take that R2 over the Sixaxis R2 any day...

Concept17

fps fanatic said:
I'm wondering if, in theory, you could use a controller adaptor and play this game with a Dualshock 2? I swear I remember reading about someone playing Warhawk with the Dualshock 2. I'll take that R2 over the Sixaxis R2 any day...

Or you could get some of those concave triggers that are supposedly coming to the US.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
fps fanatic said:

PS2 controller adapters are available. Works with all games I own. Except the ones that use motion sensing of course.

Xater

Well I guess online will have to wait till tomorrow. I just tried again and no luck. Then I looked at the leaderboards and only one game mode so far has people on it and it's just six guys.

Getting a game early is not always great.

Concept17

Xater said:
Well I guess online will have to wait till tomorrow. I just tried again and no luck. Then I looked at the leaderboards and only one game mode so far has people on it and it's just six guys.

I'm sure there will be plenty by wednesday...

From the looks of things I'm going to be taking a bite on this game in a couple weeks. I love co-op too much to not support a game that is centered around it.

oneHeero

Xater said:

Can you tell me the set-up of the online lobby?

Is it just quick matchmaking? Or more options? Lobby were you can look throug ha list of games? ala RFOM? Or more like COD?

Can you make parties?

.:D

Mesijs

I've played this game a few hours, co-op with my brother, and it works surprisingly well. I played the preview version too and honestly, I thought the game was going to suck. But they cut some vehicle sections and the game feels more 'focused' now.

What I really, really like is the co-op specific parts, that were purely designed for co-op. The shield that one carries and the other covers and shoot from behind is one, and the killing of bosses (one distracts, other shoots in the back) is another one. And of course the whole aggro thing.

I think it's a must when you have a permanent co-op buddy, because the game is really designed for it.

It's not a triple A game, but it's just a fun arcade shooter that works well in co-op. Oh, and the duck-and-cover gameplay works. You don't stick to cover but you just duck and when you're behind cover, you won't get hit. You can also slide into cover. It all works just well and it's fun to do.

Oh, and the upgrading of weapons is great!

careksims

Mesijs said:
I've played this game a few hours, co-op with my brother, and it works surprisingly well. I played the preview version too and honestly, I thought the game was going to suck. But they cut some vehicle sections and the game feels more 'focused' now.

What I really, really like is the co-op specific parts, that were purely designed for co-op. The shield that one carries and the other covers and shoot from behind is one, and the killing of bosses (one distracts, other shoots in the back) is another one. And of course the whole aggro thing.

I think it's a must when you have a permanent co-op buddy, because the game is really designed for it.

It's not a triple A game, but it's just a fun arcade shooter that works well in co-op. Oh, and the duck-and-cover gameplay works. You don't stick to cover but you just duck and when you're behind cover, you won't get hit. You can also slide into cover. It all works just well and it's fun to do.

Great impression! I love co-op games and the split-screen is a major plus there. I went out and pre-ordered the PS3 version today.

I just dropped the turd Frontlines: Fuel of War into the mail for Gamefly. They say that Army of Two is releasing on 3/6. Hopefully my queue will clear by then, but it is going to be close. I am guessing that as far as single player goes, this game will be perfect rental territory.

Concept17

Mesijs said:

Does the gameplay stick well enough to warrant multiple playthroughs? (am i gonna be bored trying to get all the customizations?)

Mesijs

Concept17 said:
Does the gameplay stick well enough to warrant multiple playthroughs? (am i gonna be bored trying to get all the customizations?)

I doubt it. The game is quite lineair and it's not like there are a lot of different paths to the goal. Of course you can try different tactics and divide the roles between the two in a different manner, but it's not like you'll get a totally different experience the second time.

Xater

Concept17 said:

Depends on how badly you want the big ass rocket launcher I guess. :lol

I am also not sure if the weapons work for Versus MP as well. Do you know that Mesijs?

Xater

Lonesome_Raod said:
Are the levels linear as hell or open enough to get you coming up with decent tactics?

The game is fairly linear but there always parts in it that are kinda big so you can approach then in different ways. Like the part from the aircraft carrier I took pics from, this was pretty big hangar with alot of cover so you could try different things. It's similar to Gears of war in this aspect but not as top notch (Epics level designer still kick way more ass but that should be a given :D ).

Xater

what are the vehicles and aircraft carrier level like?

I only had one vehicle section in the game so far and it was in a hovercraft. Controles were eas to handle.

Is there a melee button for when you're all invisible and what not?

You do melee by just hitting the shoot button when you are directly in front an enemy. This kills the weaker enemies directly others can be shoot while they try to recover.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Xater said:
You do melee by just hitting the shoot button when you are directly in front an enemy. This kills the weaker enemies directly others can be shoot while they try to recover.

Thanks, that subdues that fear!

madmook

Thanks to those who've posted initial impressions. I've been anticipating this game but I wanted to make damn sure it wasn't a total turd before I plunked down $60, like I did with Kane & Lynch.

I'll probably be picking up the 360 version, though. Anyone can feel free to send me a friend request. I'll be playing this and later this month, R6 Vegas 2, which I'll pretty much be playing terrorist hunt mode exclusively for that game. Gamertag = madmook

oneHeero

oneHeero said:
Can you tell me the set-up of the online lobby?

Is it just quick matchmaking? Or more options? Lobby were you can look throug ha list of games? ala RFOM? Or more like COD?

Can you make parties?
:D

Kagari said:
The PS3 version of an EA game is not crap? Oh my.

Burnout Paradise

Fistwell said:
Dunno about $20, but i used to get EA games at half price, through a friend working there (employee discounts).

You used to get ripped off, lol, it's a LOT less than that.

WasabiKing said:
Burnout Paradise

You used to get ripped off, lol, it's a LOT less than that.

True. Employees get console games for $20, and its $5 or $10 for PC titles, I can't remember (no I don't work there)

Scarecrow said:
I'd say Gears was the Contra of modern day shooters.
edfpic2.jpg

I'd say you're crazy, and Earth Defense Force is the modern day Contra.

itxaka

Defeatist
Yeah, this game is really nice and the framerate is really good, no drops for the moment. Anyway, I fell like single player is a bit bad, as is really intended for co-op.
I´ll have to try tomorrow my review copy played in co-op but looks promising.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but the official thread needs to be named something like "The official thread of PMCs and 'dii dii di diddly diddly di" or whatever that guy keeps saying in all the vids :lol

Top Bottom