• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrest warrant issued for Deandre Harris (black man beaten by Neo-Nazis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

roytheone

A black person should try to ask for political asylum in a different country just to force those judges to take a look at this shit and determine if America is racist enough that it is ground to grant asylum.

Also:

Fuck America.

Mimosa97

BADMAN

I can't. I just can't anymore. I can't stop thinking of the lives of my cousin's half black kids who are going to grow up in a time of evil and injustice. That these tears in my eyes are of no comfort or help to anyone in this cruel world. My heart can't take this shit. I need to help in some way but how? How can you have an impact when systemic racism is so set in it's ways? This isn't even a rhetorical question anymore. What can I do?

Riposte

You mean the old neo nazi looks like he is trying to impale the dude next to him with his flag. You can even see the old guy lunging forward.

At the start of the GIF, the stick part of the flag is pointing down, while the dude is gripping the cloth of the flag and is pulling it up and towards himself while moving backwards as if he's trying to take it. The flag owner (I'm assuming by position) could have changed to spearing him right at the end, but if he was trying to do that he would lift the flag before stepping forward. The overhead attack is also started right before the flag starts lifting upward. In any case, it seems like they were wrestling over the flag (it's red, a confederate flag?) rather than the man going for an outright thrust.

More confused what the guy in the pink shirt is doing though.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
I dunno about Charlottesville, but I've definitely been unjustly manhandled and arrested by Virginia cops (in Warrenton). I am angered, but absolutely not surprised that the system is being used against a POC in retaliation.

Ferr986

I cant believe what Im reading. Is horrific.

America is turning into a literal shit hole, and the worst of all is that it feels like that shit will spread everywhere.

A black guy beaten by Nazis, and he's the one getting arrested. Fuck this.

The constitution needs an amendment to outlaw white supremacy. Aww who am I kidding Coates was right there is no hope. I'm starting to wonder why people of color dream of going to America, land of white supremacy.

There is hope but only if you're willing to work to make your own future. Hoping for something from others is a fool's errand.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
harris.gif

This the hit?

Dunno why people are saying he's defending the dude from getting "speared". Looks a lot like the dude is trying to pull the flag out of crybaby's hands.

Dunno how one could charge him for the assault and not charge the white supremacists for almost killing him though. Seems like when someone's on the ground curled up they're no longer a threat and you can't claim self defense anymore (unless you're a cop).

Also surprised no one tried to hold this dude down. Where was flag grabber?

Fuchsdh

You mean the Feds who recently took white supremacists off the watch list and replaced them with "black identity extremists?"

America's forever fucked. I don't know what to do. We might be unsalvagable.

They didn't.

So many great takes in this thread by people who clearly don't bother reading the OP. You can still be outraged after you do the bare sixty seconds diligence to justify it.

kinggroin

Banned
This can't be real. It's cartoony levels of ridiculous

Edit: Saw the gif.

So the one dude tried to take his flag pole back, then the other dude piped him?

j.rob

All I can do is just laugh now. I’m seeing America do such bullshit things these days that it’s past sad and actually becoming comical.

America what has happened to you? You are a fucking joke now. I’m so dissapointed and let down that I’m actually laughing over this, what the fuck.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
What in the actual fuck is "unlawful wounding"??

This is complete bullshit, holy hell.

It's a phrase you invent when you can't come up with any other conceivable way to make the black man being attacked by literal nazis into the villain.

Technically, it is against the law to wound someone.

TECHNICALLY, the black guy might have inflicted a wound on the literal nazis.

So TECHNICALLY! The black man is the bad guy while the literal nazis are very fine people.

Holy fuck.

In what world could you say a dude being beaten with weapons, by multiple people, was not only justified, but the person attacked deserves to be arrested?

He's getting arrested for attacking first, apparently. Which is illegal. Reminds me of the McBeating where a man beat the shit out of 2 women for attacking him. The women not only got beat, but deservedly got charged with trespassing for jumping the counter. Though this would be where the prosecutor's office should use fucking discretion. Unfortunately the case probably was that the white supremacists' lawyers appealed to the police for an arrest, and they likely had little choice.

Apdiddy

The question is I have who is the magistrate who thought it was even a good idea to issue the warrant. Did that person not watch the news, or the riots in Charlottesville or did but just didn't care?

The question is I have who is the magistrate who thought it was even a good idea to issue the warrant. Did that person not watch the news, or the riots in Charlottesville or did but just didn't care?

For all we know he was marching the streets alongside them. I mean surely, there had to be some cops, doctors, judges, people of 'expected' upstanding character taking part in that, right?

Haunted

Welcome to Trump's America.

Where black men don't have the right to defend themselves against some very fine Nazis. Lock those disrespecting sons of bitches up.

Disgusting.

How can a warrant like this go out a few months after it happened? Why aren't the people who attacked him already doing time? How can this be pursued so long afterwards, by which points any physical or forensic evidence will be impossible to obtain?

What the fuck is going on here?!

kewlmyc

...how to you even come to the conclusion that a man who was beaten by several people with weapons was the one who was in the wrong. What the actual fuck? It's blatantly racism, I'm just shocked by how open they've being with it.

KingV

Dunno why people are saying he's defending the dude from getting "speared". Looks a lot like the dude is trying to pull the flag out of crybaby's hands.

Dunno how one could charge him for the assault and not charge the white supremacists for almost killing him though. Seems like when someone's on the ground curled up they're no longer a threat and you can't claim self defense anymore (unless you're a cop).

Also surprised no one tried to hold this dude down. Where was flag grabber?

Agreed. Trying to brain some dude with a whatever he’s hitting him with is a crime, but the response of beating him within an inch of his life is also a crime.

Yukiari

...how to you even come to the conclusion that a man who was beaten by several people with weapons was the one who was in the wrong. What the actual fuck? It's blatantly racism, I'm just shocked by how open they've being with it.

Both sides! Both sides...

How can a warrant like this go out a few months after it happened? Why aren't the people who attacked him already doing time? How can this be pursued so long afterwards, by which points any physical or forensic evidence will be impossible to obtain?

What the fuck is going on here?!

Two men who were involved in the attack on Deandre Harris were arrested in Georgia, and at the time this article was written, police were seeking the third man:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/26/us/charlottesville-arrests.html

The best you can try to pin on him(if the legal system is working properly) is simple assault which is a misdemeanor. I'm sure they'll try for a lot more though.

RinsFury

No words, just fuck everything about this and fuck this country. Violent fascists are being allowed to rise to power nearly unopposed, law enforcement rife with nazi sympathizers is completely on their side.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
how fucking racist do you have to be to not see the true bad guys here.
This racist:
RSDDtGX.png

bRiZokK.png

yDvE7kD.png

y2RghO3.png

Literally spent the last day trying to dehumanize a man who was beaten by nazis. Also thinks that Heather Mayer, aka the woman killed when a fucking nazi ran a car through a group of people, died of a heart attack.

Looks like an assault to me. What happens to Harris afterwards doesn't nullify his prior actions. He may very well have a defense himself, defense of others, which he might have a good shot at winning a trial on. Charges require probable cause and a video of someone leaping forward and hitting someone with an object certainly constitutes probable cause for an arrest.

Personally I would have let it go as a prosecutor but apparently in this jurisdiction magistrates can issue charges without police and prosecutor direction? That is just weird to me and asking for problems down the road.

RinsFury

This racist:
RSDDtGX.png

Literally spent the last day trying to dehumanize a man who was beaten by nazis. Also thinks that Heather Mayer, aka the woman killed when a fucking nazi ran a car through a group of people, died of a heart attack.

Literally a flag waving neo nazi. This is the new face of the right.

6A9Mdr0.jpg

Also, saying that Heather Mayer died of a heart attack rather than being murdered by white supremacists? What the fuck. I hope karma finds this disgusting scumbag one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom