• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArsTechnica: Hackers unlock NES Classic, upload new games via USB cable

Protome

This seems really easy to do. I might need to find one of these if/when they come back in stock and dump that Ducktales cartridge i've had sitting on a shelf for years to it.

I don't understand the point of your post.

I don't understand the point of responding to a first page post in a 20+ page thread with something that has without a doubt already been said many times.

I left Gimmick and Akumajou on there because I figured it didn't do any harm and they might work eventually. Well, I took them off and completely started over again. Still not working. I have no idea why the Hakchi update made it so my games that worked before stopped. I'm gonna keep slowly taking some games off and see what happens. What a bummer. Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone!

Update: Yep, I took all the custom games off but one (Felix the cat) and it gave me the C8 error. Something isn't right with the new Hakchi for me. Not sure what's going on. Maybe I'll try using a different computer.

Last Update!

So, I did a fresh install on a different computer and everything works again. Not sure what happened, but I'm glad I'm back in business!

Blues1990

You'll have to name them the same as MM2 with the trademark thingy like : MEGA MAN™ 3

Ah, cool. Thanks, man. While I don't have a NES Classic Mini just yet, I'm making a list fo what essential games I should add to the system.

• Ducktales
  • R.C. Pro-AM
  • Blaster Master
  • Chip n' Dale: Rescue Rangers
  • Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
  • Life Force
  • Batman
  • Little Nemo: The Dream Master
  • Gradius
  • Jackal
  • Faxanadu
  • Crystalis
  • Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
  • Mega Man I-VI
Any others games you guys can recommend to me?

Ah, cool. Thanks, man. While I don't have a NES Classic Mini just yet, I'm making a list fo what essential games I should add to the system.

• Ducktales
  • R.C. Pro-AM
  • Blaster Master
  • Mike Tyson’s Punch-Out!!
  • Life Force
  • Batman
  • Gradius
  • Jackal
  • Faxanadu
  • Crystalis
  • Mega Man I-VI

Felix the Cat. Seriously. It's by Hudson and is a pretty solid platformer.

OmegaFax

• Ducktales
  • R.C. Pro-AM
  • Blaster Master
  • Life Force
  • Batman
  • Gradius
  • Jackal
  • Faxanadu
  • Crystalis
  • Mega Man I-VI

Dig Dug II

You'll have to name them the same as MM2 with the trademark thingy like : MEGA MAN™ 3

There's a Reddit thread on r/nesclassicmods with custom fonts. I installed a font that doesn't have the TM character, so the original 30 games that have that mark no longer have it. Makes mega man 1-6 look cleaner and in order.

OmegaFax

It was way easier for me to deselect the built-in Mega Man 2 and use a dumped version I could rename without the "TM" mark. I did a sweep and replaced most of the games that were either bolded or had a trademark symbol ... which probably took just as much time to do in 20/20 hindsight but whatever.

Felix the Cat. Seriously. It's by Hudson and is a pretty solid platformer.

Brighten up that shitty dim USA version (if thats the one you are using)

There's a Reddit thread on r/nesclassicmods with custom fonts. I installed a font that doesn't have the TM character, so the original 30 games that have that mark no longer have it. Makes mega man 1-6 look cleaner and in order.
I tried the Mario Maker font but didn't like it once I saw it in action... I did like the NES font but its crappy with the longer titles, so I reverted. Although I could edit them I guess.

It was way easier for me to deselect the built-in Mega Man 2 and use a dumped version I could rename without the "TM" mark. I did a sweep and replaced most of the games that were either bolded or had a trademark symbol ... which probably took just as much time to do in 20/20 hindsight but whatever.

I thought about this (supposedly its better to hide the roms of the original 30 and add the roms you want) but I kinda like the attract mode. I don't mind the TM so much

• Ducktales
  • R.C. Pro-AM
  • Blaster Master
  • Life Force
  • Batman
  • Gradius
  • Jackal
  • Faxanadu
  • Crystalis
  • Mega Man I-VI

Adventures or LOLO and Solstice

• Ducktales
  • R.C. Pro-AM
  • Blaster Master
  • Life Force
  • Batman
  • Gradius
  • Jackal
  • Faxanadu
  • Crystalis
  • Mega Man I-VI

Maniac Mansion, Adventure Island 2, Contra, River City Ransom, Dragon Warrior III-IV, lodeRunner, Rygar, metal gear, baseball stars, bionic commando, adventure of lolo 2, final fantasy 2, TMNT 2

Also I would replace punch out with mike Tyson punch out and tecmo Bowl with super tecmo bowl

And if you wants strategy game I like romance of the three kingdoms 2

I have enjoyed :

(You may be able to tell Im struggling to keep the amount of games on my NES classic down to a respectable amount lol)

moai

Is it possible to do this without a tv? I can take it to work and do it there on a pc but i will have no image from the nes.

tanuki

Enabled scanlines yesterday and the games look so much better. Crazy this wasn't an option to toggle on to begin with. Amazing work being done with this little machine.

• Ducktales
  • R.C. Pro-AM
  • Blaster Master
  • Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
  • Life Force
  • Batman
  • Gradius
  • Jackal
  • Faxanadu
  • Crystalis
  • Mega Man I-VI

Dragon Quest/Warrior 4
Ducktales 2
Monster in my Pocket
Maniac Mansion
Bionic Commando
Super Turrican
Gargoyle's Quest II
Ironsword: Wizards & Warriors II
Wizards & Warriors III: Kuros: Visions of Power
Rainbow Islands (UK version by Ocean which is far superior to the JP/US version)
Shadowgate
Parodius
Parasol Stars

Super Turrican & Rainbow Islands are PAL games, dunno how well they run on the nes classic though, someone suggested they get sped up.

Maybe A Boy and His Blob, Swords and Serpents and Rygar too, but I haven't replayed them in a long time so they may not hold up.

Chucker

Cluster is now reporting he has added folders to the UI and has safely added 200 games with no loss of save states.

Claims to be releasing it soon. What a time to be alive.

GTI Guy

Cluster is now reporting he has added folders to the UI and has safely added 200 games with no loss of save states.

dead2.gif

I saw that discussion. So how would it look, no more scrolling through games? Just folders? And if you can create specific folders

Bitanator

Any word on the restock yet? Still none in stores near me, and ones that are available not too far from me seem to be like 100 dollars or higher.

holy-sht.gif

As soon as I can get my hands on another mini, I'll keep that in box and go to town on my current one. Can't wait!

Man, if they can get mapper support patched in, I might think about selling my Everdrive, haha. This is way more convenient than having an NES sitting around plugged to composite.

Toshin

GOGO.Zippy what is this your posting :eek:
Cluster breaking 200 games? :eek:
Restock in a week?!? :eek:

This is black magic or something crazy going on here in such a good way if true!

Top Bottom