• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArsTechnica: Hackers unlock NES Classic, upload new games via USB cable

Chucker

How this possible? doesn't the console only have 512mb memory?

From what I've heard, you can't brick it. If you end up fucking up, you can flash it again.

Someone else may correct me.

It makes you dump your original kernel before you do anything, and even if you misplace that people have used other console's kernel to recover to a default factory state.

So yeah, no reported bricks.

TLZ

Banned
Still waitng for this to be completely fleshed out. :)

Expecting the entire library on there with an alphabetical search/sort function.

Great job cluster!

Then of course expecting later people add crazy stuff to it.

dance174.gif

Chucker

Yeah, I'm a little over halfway done Dragon Warrior IV with no way to pull a save out of it if it goes sideways.

I'm holding out.

Sounds like a great update, I might try it with a few games that didn't work before and see if they do now since there's been more mappers added. This was the best part of the update for me though:

Full Famicom Mini support: Japanese font and customizable original games list (thanks to xsnake!)
Finally!

sixamp

How can you add 600 games with no loss of save states if the games are taking up all of the 512mb of storage? I won. Y mini in a comic shop raffle a few nights ago and already placed 20 new games on the system. I love this think

How can you add 600 games with no loss of save states if the games are taking up all of the 512mb of storage? I won. Y mini in a comic shop raffle a few nights ago and already placed 20 new games on the system. I love this think

I think the problems were a ram issue as each savestate & game creates a thumbnail image, and the ram can only hold so many thumbnail images in memory at once.

The actual storage nand memory can hold quite a lot more then was earlier thought. NES games are tiny, but I'm not sure how big the save states the NC emulator generates are.

baconcow

I have 170 added, and they take up 20.9 MB. I'm sure, unless you put on games from all regions, revisions, and releases, you won't go anywhere near filling this machine up.

Koren

Stupid question: I still haven't been able to find one...

Is there a chance that the rumors of the Nes Mini not being sold anymore are true? It's removed from all major websites here, several shops say they won't receive more, and with all this hacking, I wonder...

Stupid question: I still haven't been able to find one...

Is there a chance that the rumors of the Nes Mini not being sold anymore are true? It's removed from all major websites here, several shops say they won't receive more, and with all this hacking, I wonder...

I don't think so? Game stop just had a major pre sale yesterday (which sold out quick) Toys R us/best Buy/Target continue to get them in..

radcliff

Probably a stupid question, but while I know how to add scanlines using global command line arguments (--enable-crt-scnalines), how would I remove them if I wanted to? I don't see the option to remove global command line arguments once they have been added.

DirtyLarry

Got my classic today at Gamestop. Also have had the NES Roms forever now. So will give this a go either tonight or this weekend. I must have Kung Fu on there.

Also, can someone just confirm, being from the US, I want to stick with the (U) ROM or the one with nothing in parenthesis right? And what does a (!) ROM indicate?

Got my classic today at Gamestop. Also have had the NES Roms forever now. So will give this a go either tonight or this weekend. I must have Kung Fu on there.

Also, can someone just confirm, being from the US, I want to stick with the (U) ROM or the one with nothing in parenthesis right? And what does a (!) ROM indicate?

This isn't really an appropriate forum to be inquiring about pirated software. You might want to try a Google search instead.

D.Lo

I did try Google. Could not find an answer about the (!). I did not think it was still considered pirated software considering Nintendo used the same "Pirated" ROMS themselves on the Classic.
This is one of the worst arguments I have ever seen to claim your own piracy is okay. Nintendo (and Konami, Capcom etc) own the games, they can do whatever they want with them.

The roms on the machine have standardised headers etc, but they could have ripped them themselves with standard rippers. I ripped all my own games as well with a Kazzo, and they probably have the same headers as those on piracy sites.

DirtyLarry

This is one of the worst arguments I have ever seen to claim your own piracy is okay. Nintendo (and Konami, Capcom etc) own the games, they can do whatever they want with them.

The roms on the machine have standardised headers etc, but they could have ripped them themselves with standard rippers. I ripped all my own games as well with a Kazzo, and they probably have the same headers as those on piracy sites.
Calm down. The only ROMS I am copying over are the games I owned that I enjoyed playing. Yes, a friend of mine gave me a CD disk of every ROM ever made like 10+ years ago now, and it has multiple copies. I am literally copying over about 13 of them, all of which I owned at one point. So that gives me the right to own the ROM right according to the Piracy code of ethics? I mean I can go dig in my basement and find the catrdiges and rip them myself right? Or I can copy them over from a disk filled with files I have no intention of using.
Sorry for doing the latter.

Also if you didnt happen to notice, I realized it was dumb, hence why I removed it.

Chucker

Alright fellas, we made it pretty far without this discussion being had, let's talk about the weather and your local sports team.

D.Lo

Anyway I think I'll stick with 30-40ish games on my system. I'll keep it curated. Getting into folders etc and just takes away from the clean simplicity of the device IMO.

Hopefully global command stuff and demo stuff can be tidied up, I'll keep a single page of games with the demo maintained.

Top Bottom