• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ArsTechnica: Hackers unlock NES Classic, upload new games via USB cable

radcliff

Reposting to a new page. Any help would be appreciated:

Probably a stupid question, but while I know how to add scanlines using global command line arguments (--enable-crt-scnalines), how would I remove them if I wanted to? I don't see the option to remove global command line arguments once they have been added.

Any recommendations on the best NES game hacks that are supported by the NES Classic mapper?

Mario Adventure was the only one I tried (and only one that I knew about), and that was a big fail.....

Minions

Almost all of the NES games are loadable now? This is great if true. 655... lol

What is interesting is how do u know whats in the folders? Hm... Maybe eventually there will be a way to set labels? Like a folder by letter or something.

Harlock

Got my classic today at Gamestop. Also have had the NES Roms forever now. So will give this a go either tonight or this weekend. I must have Kung Fu on there.

Also, can someone just confirm, being from the US, I want to stick with the (U) ROM or the one with nothing in parenthesis right? And what does a (!) ROM indicate?

That is some interesting stuff. Not linking for roms, but I found this guide about the sufix. I think I used a lot of roms with the letter b in my emulations. :x

https://64bitorless.wordpress.com/rom-suffix-explanations/

Robin64

What is interesting is how do u know whats in the folders? Hm... Maybe eventually there will be a way to set labels? Like a folder by letter or something.

It says "Game X - Game Y" as the folder name, so you're fine if you know the alphabet :)

This is awesome, but personally I'm going to stick with my top 60 games all loaded on the main screen. I don't need every NES game ever on there, some are atrocious, and with so much choice I'd never really play any properly.

Minions

It says "Game X - Game Y" as the folder name, so you're fine if you know the alphabet :)

I was watching the video someone posted. His folders seemed to say game names at the top. Glad to know that functionality is there. I haven't gone through the process of doing this to my mini yet..... I just need some time to do it. Now that it seems it will do everything I need it to, this weekend might be the time to do it!

Robin64

Yeah indeed, so this folder selected has every game from Power Punch II to River City Ransom.

ASIEwgF.png

Minions

Yeah indeed, so this folder selected has every game from Power Punch II to River City Ransom.

ASIEwgF.png

Got it! I understand what you are saying now :) It is a little early in the morning for my brain. I need my coffee.

Is there any resource that is compiling a list of functionality based on the title? Much the same way other emulators keep lists of whether games have video, audio, or completely unplayable issues?

JP

Just ordered from Nintendo in the UK. I only really want to swap a few games around to games that are my favourite NES games.

Has anybody on here done this on a Mac yet? I'd rather avoid using Bootcamp and fully installing Windows again so was hoping for a way of doing it virtually?

Some people online are saying that they've done it this way and list the software they've used to do it but the same software doesn't seem to work for everybody so it would be good to hear from people directly how they managed to do this. I don't really mess around with stuff like this so I'm probably not going to be the best person for resolving issues if I do have them.

Thanks. :)

Robin64

Just ordered from Nintendo in the UK. I only really want to swap a few games around to games that are my favourite NES games.

What, how? When did they get stock back in?

Edit: Are you fucking kidding me? I missed the only UK restock since December 16th?!

JP

What, how? When did they get stock back in?
I had a stock alert email about 30 minutes before I bought it, the delay being that I didn't see the email.

I've posted details in the OT, good luck. :)

NES Classic Edition |OT| Now You're Playing With Power* *Sold Separately in Europe
Just bought one from store.nintendo.co.uk, due to be dispatched today. :)

EDIT:
Direct Link - Nintendo Classic Mini: Nintendo Entertainment System - £49.99 (Shows as Out of Stock now but I don't know if it's showing that way because of the "one per customer" limit that's in place.)

F34R

Has anybody on here done this on a Mac yet? I'd rather avoid using Bootcamp and fully installing Windows again so was hoping for a way of doing it virtually?

Some people online are saying that they've done it this way and list the software they've used to do it but the same software doesn't seem to work for everybody so it would be good to hear from people directly how they managed to do this. I don't really mess around with stuff like this so I'm probably not going to be the best person for resolving issues if I do have them.

Thanks. :)

I use Parallels on my iMac to do it.

JP

I use Parallels on my iMac to do it.
That's good to know, did you have any issues with it? Which version of Parallels did you use? I own a version from years ago, I think 6 but I know that they let people trial the newest version for free.

Got it! I understand what you are saying now :) It is a little early in the morning for my brain. I need my coffee.

Is there any resource that is compiling a list of functionality based on the title? Much the same way other emulators keep lists of whether games have video, audio, or completely unplayable issues?

I had about 50-60 kick out for mapper issues..

And games that run 4 screen mode can't be added (apparently they had extra VRam on the cartridge) and that is not supported on the mini (for Example Gauntlent)

Had about 10-15 of those 4 screen mode games kick out.

That's good to know, did you have any issues with it? Which version of Parallels did you use? I own a version from years ago, I think 6 but I know that they let people trial the newest version for free.

I want to say people said they were using something called Wine?

Holy shit, my local Target supposedly has 1 left in stock. Next closest Target has 8 but they're an hour away.

Might go for a drive today or tomorrow.

*EDIT* Forgot I'll be driving through that other town tomorrow already. I might just get an NES Classic this weekend :D

radcliff

Taking a stab in the dark, maybe re-enable them and load the games again?

Re-enable what? My question is if I enable scanlines using global command lines, how would I disable them? Sorry if the answer is obvious and I'm just missing it, but there is only an option to add global command lines, not disable them once added.

F34R

Latest version. No issues at all.
Holy shit, my local Target supposedly has 1 left in stock. Next closest Target has 8 but they're an hour away.

*EDIT* Forgot I'll be driving through that other town tomorrow already. I might just get an NES Classic this weekend :D

in stock tracker showed 4 in stock at a Target an hour from me. I drove over there and they said they haven't had any in stock since Monday morning lol.

I hope I'm wrong for your sake, but I don't think those 8 will make it through today, let alone tomorrow.

JP

I want to say people said they were using something called Wine?
That was going to be my go to method of doing it, good to know that people seem to be OK with it.
Latest version. No issues at all.
Thanks, I'll just use the free trial if I need to.

For people who have bought the UK version of the console, does the games use the PAL standards in relation to resolution and speed or does it run the same as the USA and Japanese versions? I'm just wondering of its worth replacing the games that are pre-installed with NTSC versions?

ktroopa

V2.11 added folder support, but tbh i only want to add another 10-20 games for now. Is it better to go with v2.10 or can i use the latest. UI wise im not overly keen on the folder icon and arrows thing ive been seeing in youtube vids. Just want it to scroll across rather than seek through a to z. Do you understand mees :)

Robin64

V2.11 added folder support, but tbh i only want to add another 10-20 games for now. Is it better to go with v2.10 or can i use the latest. UI wise im not overly keen on the folder icon and arrows thing ive been seeing in youtube vids. Just want it to scroll across rather than seek through a to z. Do you understand mees :)

It won't use folders unless you go over the size you've set per page.

Any recommendations on the NES library that's a must?

For those who managed to get an extra controller I'd recommend Ice hockey. So much fun to be had with that.

Robin64

For those who managed to get an extra controller I'd recommend Ice hockey. So much fun to be had with that.

When I decided to add just 30 to the original 30, these are the ones I came up with. Consider this my "must" list. (Note, Battletoads isn't on there because it was before it was fixed, but it really should be there now)

EFMCX7R.png

AkumaNiko

You know i was hunting one for so long and i finally gave up for a retropie. Its great, but i wanted to post this here because of this lego case that fits my pi3

XHCNjtSl.jpg

If you wanted a must list, I would consider these:

Chip and Dale
Ducktales
Adventures of Lolo 2
Adventure Island 2
RC Pro AM
Baseball Stars
Tecmo Super Bowl (I replaced the regular in the list)
Mike Tyson Punch out (Same here, I replaced the Punch out)
Contra
Mega Man 3
River City Ransom
TMNT 2
Blaster Master
Bionic Commando
Dragon Warrior IV
Fanaxdu
Crystalis
Rygar
Baseball Stars
Blade of Steel
Metal Gear

That is a good list of games imho, a bit of everything.

AkumaNiko

LOVE IT!! I might have to build this one just for the sake of having it lol.

That looks great! I kinda wish I had the know how to do stuff like that!

You can patch that with updated rosters! They seem to do it every year :)

oh? Did you just ask me to post the lego designer instructions and the parts list?

https://www.andrerinas.de/tutorials/nespi-like-lego-nes-case-anleitunginstruction.html

Parts were 99% obtained from pick a brick on the lego store, others i had to go to ebay because of lack of colors. Total about $20 with shipping.

its in german, but the 3 main colors are medium grey, dark grey and black, then there are two small red clears and 1 red plate.

F34R

oh? Did you just ask me to post the lego designer instructions and the parts list?

https://www.andrerinas.de/tutorials/nespi-like-lego-nes-case-anleitunginstruction.html

Parts were 99% obtained from pick a brick on the lego store, others i had to go to ebay because of lack of colors. Total about $20 with shipping.

its in german, but the 3 main colors are medium grey, dark grey and black, then there are two small red clears and 1 red plate.

Thanks! I probably have all the pieces already, but I'll double check.

DirtyLarry

Hey All,
I just want to say I really, sincerely and truly was not trying to cause any friction last night and was just sincerely asking for help. I knew it may not be 110% kosher, but I was damn sincere when I say the ROMS I was interested in I did own. I am 42. The NES was a staple for myself for so, so many years. So once I read I could add additional ROMS and I was already pysched about the included 30, well, I may have gotten a tad too excited.

I never posted but I did use the tool posted in the OP with zero issues. Dumped the untouched Kernel first thing. Added 16 additional ROMS to issues at all. My Classic is up and running and it is bad ass. So I do apologize as I was truly like a kid in a candy store. So my apologies. It was not my intent to start any beef at all. I just was curious what the tags meant.

I was also so damn psyched I actually was able to get the Classic from a local GameStop. I had called the 3 closest to me around noon, they said call back within the hour, and every single one sold out within that hour. I tried the off one I never visit and the kid Brian I talked to said yep, I have around 4. When I got to the store 20 minutes later, there was a girl in line purchasing 4. I thought I was fucked. Brian had 2 left and said he had put 1 to the side for me because he could tell I was sincere over the phone. That was awesome. The girl asked me if I was purchasing it for myself or to flip and I replied myself and almost said something snarky to her, but she said all of hers were for family, and I did believe her based on how damn excited she was for Final Fantasy.

I was just a tad too excited I was able to get my hands on one for the retail cost and that I was also so close to sideloading ROMS with a soft mod. Again, I used the tool linked in the OP with zero issues and it took all of 10 minutes to boot. Even messed up and did not originally get the game covers, used the option in the tool to get them and resynced, and BOOM, they were all there. I look forward to the Carpal Tunnel I am going to get from Track N Field Alone. Also having Rygar and Rush N Attack is a thing of beauty.

Lothar

Banned

My must list that I posted earlier.

Let's see. These are the must plays in my opinion from most important to least.

(In 10 game blocks)

Super Mario Bros 1-3
Zelda 1-2
Mega Man 2-4
Contra
Super C

Castlevania 1-3
Kirby’s Adventure
Battletoads
Metroid
Mike Tyson’s Punch Out
Ninja Gaiden 1-2