• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art Self Study |OT| Putting the Fun in Art Fundamentals

Monocle

I accidentally made a big post again. There went my hour.

One problem that's always plagued me is that I cant draw the same thing twice. So if I'm drawing original characters, I cant keep the proportions, etc. the same. Maybe it stems from the fact that I cant seem to draw anything by looking. Its really weird. I've always drawn from memory.

Is repetition really the only way to fix this? Draw the same thing a thousand times until its committed to muscle memory?
Repetition is part of it, but people who can draw characters from imagination and make them look like the same person every time have also developed their skills of proportion and placement. The way to get there is to learn a set of tools that help you accurately observe and measure relationships. You'll probably want to take the extra step of memorizing basic human proportions too, like the equal thirds rule of the head, which will give you a standard to judge the unique proportions of your characters against. When you know chin to nose base, nose base to brow ridge, and brow ridge to hairline are equal distances on the average human head, you can easily make this lady's forehead a little bigger, or this guy's nose a little lower on his face. So some knowledge of average proportions is a big help, and a stepping stone to inventing your own proportions.

Getting back to proportion and placement, they're all about comparing and relating one part to another. Like:

- How wide is this car bumper compared to that window? One and a half window-widths? A little more or less?

- Exactly how would I draw an imaginary triangle between the model's left elbow, right wrist, and top of the head? Here clavicle and tenth ribs? Her navel and heels?

- Where is the halfway point on the long axis of his body. Or his leg? Or his finger?

- If I draw a vertical or horizontal line from the top of my kitchen counter, exactly where will that line touch and cross my refrigerator?

You never stop making these comparisons no matter how good you get, it just becomes easier to do it faster and maybe use fewer construction lines. But the techniques stay the same.

Speaking of techniques... Triangulation is a big one. The basic perspective-oriented skill of multiplying and subdividing boxes is another, because anything can be placed in a box and then precisely measured. Drawing the shape of the space around the object/facial feature/whatever (the negative space), rather than the object itself, can really help you get around your untrained preconceptions about how something should look. Using measuring units is another critical skill. Some experience with blind contour drawing is helpful, because it lets you develop the sensation of touching your subject with your drawing instrument, which leads to an intuitive sense for proportions. Eventually you'll be able to "feel" when something is off.

Here are some of the places you can learn this stuff (many of these were mentioned earlier in this thread, because they're great):

Measuring units, negative space - Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards - Invaluable book for beginning and maybe intermediate artists. Covers many practical tools and concepts. Has good exercises that should greatly improve your ability to make accurate comparisons.

Angles, measuring - The Practice and Science of Drawing by Harold Speed - Packed with a stupid amount of powerful techniques for artists. Also full of great insight from an opinionated and very old-school teacher. Tips like how to analyze a curve, and the different effects you can create with crossed, horizontal, vertical, or diagonal hatch lines, improved my skills almost overnight. This book will definitely help you. Read it and apply as much of Speed's advice as you can.

Triangulation - Jason Baalman (Eclectic Asylum Art) on triangulation: Full playlist or cut to the chase - A very effective tutorial. (Ignore the video quality; it's rather old.) This placement method doesn't get nearly enough attention for how useful it is. If you learn nothing else about accurate drawing, learn this.

Multiplying and subdividing boxes - How to Draw by Scott Robertson - Mostly too technical for beginners, but it's a full master class on perspective from one of the best industrial designers in the business. No serious artist should do without it. A cheaper, simpler alternative is Perspective Made Easy by Ernest Norling. Come to think of it, Marshall Vandruff covers this in his excellent $12 perspective course too.

Blind contour drawing - The Natural Way to Draw by Kimon Nicolaides - This book provides a good and rigorous program of study for would-be art students. Emphasizes that tactile sense I was talking about, where you learn to feel like you're touching what you're drawing.

Human proportions - Proko's got you covered.

All of the above (almost) - Andrew Loomis books - Get any of them. Get all of them. At least read Successful Drawing.

You might be able to find some of the content from those books in free tutorials. The resources I listed are all high quality though. Stick with them if you want to be positive that you're getting good information from teachers who know what they're doing.

One problem that's always plagued me is that I cant draw the same thing twice. So if I'm drawing original characters, I cant keep the proportions, etc. the same. Maybe it stems from the fact that I cant seem to draw anything by looking. Its really weird. I've always drawn from memory.

Is repetition really the only way to fix this? Draw the same thing a thousand times until its committed to muscle memory?

You probably have to de-construct it into figure blocks, and from there rebuild it, once that is successful, you should be able to reproduce the character in question in a different pose, because you know their body and face construct and measurement, where their specific characteristic curves or body lumps start but more in the sense of thirds and halves in said block region. I suppose you also make a template, of information, out of that, and just slap it onto PureRef app, since you easily can have several image files shown in it easily, and you always got the needed information in front of you, just a click away.

Obviously take repetition too.

DEATH™

Posting for 3 things:

1. Another OP patch is live! It's a pretty small update. It added Croquis Cafe (thanks BadWolf), parkablogs Review Links for Art Products, Tablets, and Books. and fixed the video playlist links to go directly on the playlist instead of the first vids (pretty important on GAF mobile).

2. Also, Parkablogs needs reviewers on particular sets of tablets.

Originally Posted by Parka blogs

If you use the following products to create art, write a review for me and get paid.
- Microsoft Surface 3
- Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 2
- Huion GT-190
- Ugee UG 2150
- Ugee 1910B
- Sennelier pastels
- Great American pastels
- Schmincke pastels
- Unison pastels
- Terry Lugwig pastels
- Diane Townsend pastels
- Caran d'Ache Luminance
- Caran d'Ache Pablo
- Caran d'Ache Supracolor
- Caran d'Ache Museum
- Faber Castell Albrecht
- Tombow Irojiten

3. Remember the "Talents you wish you have" thread? (First of all, thanks PSY S for it).

In that thread, I had a conversation with True Savior about Talent and Skill. Just like the other people in the thread, he thought of drawing as something that isn't his forte, which is understandable... while I encouraged him to try out art.

Then I got this PM earlier today (posting this with his consent BTW)

True Savior said:
Hey !

I just want to tell you that i actually started to look into your threads and looked through the Proko videos. I did some stuff and showed to an impartial person (she didnt really know me) and the first thing she said was that i was really talented....LOL. That part you were right.

So , well , today your advice made me feel better.

Everything just happened just a couple of days ago!

I just want to share this to show to people that being good at art isn't a specialized talent, or in another point of view, we all have artistic "talents". Everybody is capable of being an artist, it's just a matter of understanding the whys and hows and practicing them.

Hope this will encourage people around!

DEATH™

Bump!

Another OP Patch is live with Nicolaides and Edwards (finally. Had a hard time deciding where to put them). Added Posespace for art model reference, more Parkablogs reviews masterlists, and NeoGAF Art Challenge. (The OP is using 4 pages now... Too many info T_T )

Speaking of that, there is a new Art Challenge right now, feel free to participate! It's an easy theme too!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1022719

Got Stephen Rogers' "Atlas of the Human Anatomy, for artists." Pretty beefy and informative book, there are many of these as listed in the OP but this one is well praised.

51w2qy%2B78UL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Also grabbed one of the Monster of Manga books, from Ikari Studio, pretty nice, expected a book, with just sheer illustrations but there were processes in there for all, was both delighted on one part, to see a simple build up to said piece, and yet disappointed, as there not being as many pieces in there, as I hoped, because of several pages for each piece dedicated to show the build up to it.

Guess I'll try to grab a Kim Jung Gi sketchbook, next time, if only they weren't so incredibly expensive, so awesome though. His story of being hit in the head, thus starting to draw constantly, fascinates me, since I also started drawing, after an accident, where I hit my head, when I was a child, just that I wasted almost a decade not drawing at all, maybe I hit my head once more and lost the drive, lol?

BMO29zDGgx5fNLCsUL6RdoXXXL4j3HpexhjNOf_P3YmryPKwJ94QGRtDb3Sbc6KY

DEATH™

^ it seems like it'll be easy, it could also prove to be a heck of a challenge lol

Lol I just said the theme is easy, not the actual process itself :p

Got Stephen Rogers' "Atlas of the Human Anatomy, for artists." Pretty beefy and informative book, there are many of these as listed in the OP but this one is well praised.

Also grabbed one of the Monster of Manga books, from Ikari Studio, pretty nice, expected a book, with just sheer illustrations but there were processes in there for all, was both delighted on one part, to see a simple build up to said piece, and yet disappointed, as there not being as many pieces in there, as I hoped, because of several pages for each piece dedicated to show the build up to it.

Guess I'll try to grab a Kim Jung Gi sketchbook, next time, if only they weren't so incredibly expensive, so awesome though. His story of being hit in the head, thus starting to draw constantly, fascinates me, since I also started drawing, after an accident, where I hit my head, when I was a child, just that I wasted almost a decade not drawing at all, maybe I hit my head once more and lost the drive, lol?

I also got that atlas anatomy book. The only few things that prevented me from putting it on the OP are, there are too many anatomy books in it already (I am kinda afraid of going too far with all the resources since I feel that its getting too much for a beginner's standpoint), and the way it presents anatomy is covered a bit by the other books. I loved that they have illustrations of a pronated and supinated arm, until Anatomy for Sculptors blew me away with all of it plus more.

I'll tell you though, the charts of muscle origins and insertions are sooooo handy.

About Monster book of Manga though, I admit I think they can condense all of Ikari Studio books into one. Also, if it isn't Ikari Studio, don't buy it. There is one non-Ikari Studio book that's decent, but that's it.

And lol, concussions= creativity? Sound legit lol jk

DEATH™;159729028 said:
I also got that atlas anatomy book. The only few things that prevented me from putting it on the OP are, there are too many anatomy books in it already (I am kinda afraid of going too far with all the resources since I feel that its getting too much for a beginner's standpoint), and the way it presents anatomy is covered a bit by the other books. I loved that they have illustrations of a pronated and supinated arm, until Anatomy for Sculptors blew me away with all of it plus more.

I'll tell you though, the charts of muscle origins and insertions are sooooo handy.

About Monster book of Manga though, I admit I think they can condense all of Ikari Studio books into one. Also, if it isn't Ikari Studio, don't buy it. There is one non-Ikari Studio book that's decent, but that's it.

And lol, concussions= creativity? Sound legit lol jk

Understandable, too much of the same information, and it's just like a grenade, splinters everywhere, guess I'll be getting Anatomy for Sculptors next. And oh yes, some of the charts I've looked at are incredibly detailed, some of which, with a good simple build up.

Yes, I was only targeting the books by Ikari Studio, there seemed to be a very distinct difference in quality between those by them, and those not. But I really wanted a giant sample, well the books are huge, and delicious thick pages, before opening I was imagining hundreds of reference illustrations, my own fault for letting my expectation run wild, when looking at the book's thickness, lol.

And yeah, crazy stuff, about spontaneous drawing madly, from such an incident, makes one wonder, how different the world can look, from person, to person.

DEATH™;159014782 said:
Not repetition ONLY. There are a couple ways to go for it.

I accidentally made a big post again. There went my hour.

You probably have to de-construct it into figure blocks, and from there rebuild it, once that is successful, you should be able to reproduce the character in question in a different pose, because you know their body and face construct and measurement, where their specific characteristic curves or body lumps start but more in the sense of thirds and halves in said block region.

Thanks so much for all this awesome and thoughtful advice!

I really do need to get back to the basics. I didnt even know what triangulation was, and I barely ever used figure blocks because I was too impatient. I wish I spent more time learning the fundamentals instead of thinking I'm too good for them. Bah.

I'll pick up one or two of those books and get to work. I'm also thinking about taking some part time art classes now, since I'm finally able to afford them.

Seems like I've been doing a lot of contour drawings without realizing. When I get bored in the train, I usually just find an object or something and "draw" them with my fingers against my legs. Its one of those boredom ticks I guess, haha. I didnt know what contour drawings were beforehand but its funny that I've been doing something similar without realizing it. They're really hard, now that I actually consciously started to do them with pencil and paper.

LegendX48

Does anyone here have experience with using prismacolor pencils? Wondering if anyone knows how to make skin tones with the basic 12 set or if I have to go and buy specific colors for that cause so far that is what I believe I have to do.

Does anyone here have experience with using prismacolor pencils? Wondering if anyone knows how to make skin tones with the basic 12 set or if I have to go and buy specific colors for that cause so far that is what I believe I have to do.

I have a set of 48; no idea how you'd make skin tones with only the basic 12.

Any one know of great art books, fine art, comic/manga style, concepts, nothing but sheer art pieces, drawings, paintings, and sketches?

I literally want a book with almost no text, just visual marvel.

I sort of remembered that I have always been a visual and auditory learner, as I so often feel great frustration, when reading about art, just waiting for the next picture, or visual illustration, to arrive.

Monocle

Thanks so much for all this awesome and thoughtful advice!

I really do need to get back to the basics. I didnt even know what triangulation was, and I barely ever used figure blocks because I was too impatient. I wish I spent more time learning the fundamentals instead of thinking I'm too good for them. Bah.

I'll pick up one or two of those books and get to work. I'm also thinking about taking some part time art classes now, since I'm finally able to afford them.

Seems like I've been doing a lot of contour drawings without realizing. When I get bored in the train, I usually just find an object or something and "draw" them with my fingers against my legs. Its one of those boredom ticks I guess, haha. I didnt know what contour drawings were beforehand but its funny that I've been doing something similar without realizing it. They're really hard, now that I actually consciously started to do them with pencil and paper.
Happy to help!

One of the best pieces of art advice you'll ever hear is this: the basics are everything. If you approach art with this attitude, where you constantly look for ways to apply the simplest concepts and tools, I think you'll be surprised how quickly you advance.

You'll never run into a problem that can't be solved with with simple ideas like breaking your subject down into basic forms (sphere, box, pyramid, cylinder, cone) to understand the structure and lighting, or drawing each line in a perspective drawing along one of three planes (x, y, z, or width, height, depth. There's more to it, but even the simplest version of this idea will take you far). Master artists like Kim Jung Gi are just really, really good at the basics, to the point where creating an extremely complex work of art is a laid-back exercise in applying basic knowledge.

Any one know of great art books, fine art, comic/manga style, concepts, nothing but sheer art pieces, drawings, paintings, and sketches?

I literally want a book with almost no text, just visual marvel.

I sort of remembered that I have always been a visual and auditory learner, as I so often feel great frustration, when reading about art, just waiting for the next picture, or visual illustration, to arrive.
You might find some good ones in these videos: Feng Zhu's Reference Books, Part 1 and Part 2.

Also, Design Studio Press has put out some wonderful stuff.

Amazon.com is another good place to look. Find the product page of a book you like and then browse the related items.

You might find some good ones in these videos: Feng Zhu's Reference Books, Part 1 and Part 2.

Also, Design Studio Press has put out some wonderful stuff.

Amazon.com is another good place to look. Find the product page of book you like and then browse the related items.

Thanks a lot, bookmarked the book page of designstudiopress, and the Feng Zhu video, made me realize the importance of text again, he has great taste in novels too, so much respect from here, as well, but I do still want pure illustration books as well, which he also showed and good tips in those too.

I already got a dozen art books but it just always feels like, there's room for hundreds more, lol, so the 70 books from the achieve, looks all like great choices.

Thanks once again, Monocle.

EDIT: ordered Inkworks vol.1, was something I wanted, and guess Scott Robertson books are next.

Inkworks_cover.jpg

Capella

I'm really glad I found this thread because for the past year I've been relearning how to draw through self study, and now that I've changed majors, through my foundations classes in college.

I haven't had much time to do any drawings that weren't for class, so this was something I did today to try and apply some of what I've been learning to something that wasn't a still life or a figure drawing. A lot of my time was spent on trying to relearn how to use my tablet and brush setting since I've been mostly working with traditional media.
p3JcKBil.jpg

This is still a WIP but any comments or critiques would be great. I find that I still have some trouble with placing light and shadow on the face when I'm not drawing from reference.

Also, I didn't see this in the OP but I would really recommend Will Terrell's Youtube Channel . I really enjoy his people sketching videos where he gives some really good advice for those who are learning how to draw.

DEATH™

I'm really glad I found this thread because for the past year I've been relearning how to draw through self study, and now that I've changed majors, through my foundations classes in college.

I haven't had much time to do any drawings that weren't for class, so this was something I did today to try and apply some of what I've been learning to something that wasn't a still life or a figure drawing. A lot of my time was spent on trying to relearn how to use my tablet and brush setting since I've been mostly working with traditional media.
p3JcKBil.jpg

This is still a WIP but any comments or critiques would be great. I find that I still have some trouble with placing light and shadow on the face when I'm not drawing from reference.

Also, I didn't see this in the OP but I would really recommend Will Terrell's Youtube Channel . I really enjoy his people sketching videos where he gives some really good advice for those who are learning how to draw.

Nice! You trying to do Rembrandt Lighting though? Just make the little lit part of the "shadow" side further from the nose. Other than that, it seems that you know what you need to do already. You are even better coloring digitally than me T_T.

And thanks for recommendation! Added on the OP (and I'm running out of room T_T ).

@PurplePill I hope this help... http://www.parkablogs.com/node/8

Vik

Banned

p3JcKBil.jpg

Seems you have a good basis. Tho, the left eye is a bit too far from the center (and too close to the ear), make sure to compare the tear ducts for measurement.

Capella

Seems you have a good basis. Tho, the left eye is a bit too far from the center (and too close to the ear), make sure to compare the tear ducts for measurement.
Thank you for pointing that out. It looks like her left eye is about to fall off her face...

Y0ZnOeKl.jpg

Servbot24

Banned
Thank you for pointing that out. It looks like her left eye is about to fall off her face...

Y0ZnOeKl.jpg

The right side of her face has a completely different structure than the left

Do you have access to ZBrush? Sculpting is really beneficial I feel towards understanding form. The other thing you can do is to start with extremely basic shapes. Do still lifes of basic household objects for instance.

Always be thinking about the fact that your subject is a 3D object. Even if it's a cartoon, it has 3D form. When you draw you should be feeling along that 3D surface. What is light actually doing when it hits the surface? Where and why is light not reaching certain planes of the subject?

Which is a lot easier said than done of course, it's just something to keep in mind as you continue to practice.

Xun

I went to my first life drawing class in 4 years on Thursday.

Boy was I rusty, but it was unsurprisingly fun.

I'm definitely going to go back every week.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Looks enchanting, Chezzy. Great job!

Is the most bottom-right house intentionally using different-coloured outlines? Kind of catches me off guard especially when the houses above with rays being shined onto them still have very defined edges.

Cystm

Hell yes to this thread. I want to thank you for both the effort and the purpose of this thread.

I am devouring the info now. I'll post some of what I come up with shortly.

DEATH™

I went to my first life drawing class in 4 years on Thursday.

Boy was I rusty, but it was unsurprisingly fun.

I'm definitely going to go back every week.

Nice! (I seriously want to go to onetoo but I got too many college units already).

Just finished this. Any critiques?

HRb1uNL.jpg

This was your entry at the art challenge right?

I really love the concept. The only thing I could critique is the color saturation of the whole thing. The houses pop out forward too much because of this. If you desaturad it just a bit, not only it will help composition wise, but it will also give you a larger color pallete even with few hues.

(I realy liked the one in the Art challenge even when its monochromatic)

Hell yes to this thread. I want to thank you for both the effort and the purpose of this thread.

I am devouring the info now. I'll post some of what I come up with shortly.

Thanks for the thanks lol.l. And darn that was good drawing. When did you start?

Cystm

DEATH™;161650090 said:
Thanks for the thanks lol.l. And darn that was good drawing. When did you start?

I just started recently this year, and I have always shied away from drawing actively because I lacked the persistence required to push through my own self criticism.

Resources in the threads like this one and the others listed in the OP are encouraging and helpful in that regard.

XAL

Yeah that anatomy book is the one my drawing and painting teachers in college had us buy.

Kim Jung Gi's sketchbook collections are well worth the money.

I have all 3 and can't recommend them enough.

Ran rp

I'm glad that this thread and the art challenges are breathing new life into the art community here.

DEATH™;158784694 said:
I need to see this thread... link pls

EDIT Found it :)

Thanks again PSY S!

No problem!

Air

Banned
Just finished this. Any critiques?

HRb1uNL.jpg

The colors are nice. And I like the illustrator feel to it. If I had to critique, I'd say the tangents on the upper left side bother me a bit and the perspective feels a bit off (not sure if it's the horse or the guy).

Edit: also, the coloring of the buildings may also be lighter due to being further in the distance.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Just wanted to say that this thread is awesome. I picked up a couple books based on recommendations from the OP and posts here and they've been really great. (working through some of Bridgman's stuff now)

So, I'm curious. What would be a good thing to do when you're feeling bored with drawing?

I default to anatomy studies or taking prompts/requests when I'm feeling uninspired. It kinda helps motivation-wise when someone else asks for the art, I guess? :p

DEATH™

So, I'm curious. What would be a good thing to do when you're feeling bored with drawing?

Two things, try drawing outside your comfort zone (learn new material), or go outside and draw what you see (expand visual library). Doing the former gives you a challenge and gives that spark again, while the latter is never not fun... You can even play and draw videogame chars if you like.
Just wanted to say that this thread is awesome. I picked up a couple books based on recommendations from the OP and posts here and they've been really great. (working through some of Bridgman's stuff now)

I default to anatomy studies or taking prompts/requests when I'm feeling uninspired. It kinda helps motivation-wise when someone else asks for the art, I guess? :p

Glad the thread helped! Just post stuff!

LegendX48

I've never really done a study I think, unless just trying to draw an image counts then maybe I should do more. Requests though, hmm...

DEATH™;162020152 said:
Two things, try drawing outside your comfort zone (learn new material), or go outside and draw what you see (expand visual library). Doing the former gives you a challenge and gives that spark again, while the latter is never not fun... You can even play and draw videogame chars if you like.
Drawing outside my comfort zone, that means environments and backgrounds, my weakest area. I think I'll try doing some fan art thing like I've been meaning to instead lol

Servbot24

Banned
I've never really done a study I think, unless just trying to draw an image counts then maybe I should do more. Requests though, hmm...

If you intend to improve then studies are 100% required. Find photos of people and basic objects and draw them. Try to understand their shapes and their forms in 3D space and how light is hitting them.

If you aren't too worried about improvement and just want to draw for fun that's totally fine. Just be warned that you won't substantially improve unless you have the mindset of actively tackling areas where you need improvement.

LegendX48

If you intend to improve then studies are 100% required. Find photos of people and basic objects and draw them. Try to understand their shapes and their forms in 3D space and how light is hitting them.

If you aren't too worried about improvement and just want to draw for fun that's totally fine. Just be warned that you won't substantially improve unless you have the mindset of actively tackling areas where you need improvement.
If that's what studies are then I've done many lol

Doing more full body images and/or trying to actually capture a person's likeness are things I know I need to work on but I've just been bored lately. Not sure if I just need to take a short break or just force myself.

DEATH™

If that's what studies are then I've done many lol

Doing more full body images and/or trying to actually capture a person's likeness are things I know I need to work on but I've just been bored lately. Not sure if I just need to take a short break or just force myself.

It's up to you... That's one of those ruts that you have to decide to push through or chill out for a day or two. Many will say push through to a point where making art becomes part of your lifestyle. There's nothing wrong with that, but I find it harder to get out of such ruts when all you need is just a different perspective that you can get when you are away from it. Just be careful that when you take a break, make it quick or your skills will deteriorate.

----------

Guys, I need help! I'm trying to shop for a new laptop, since I feel better drawing out of the house (and also doing most homework too). I just realized that I would have a hard time doing a comfortable setup out there since I don't use the tablet on my lap. Anyone have any suggestions for comfortable mobile setups? Do I have to buy stands/tilts for both my laptop and tablet?

Thank you for this thread! I've always wanted to start drawing, but never really dedicated myself to it. But that's exactly what I'm doing now. I ordered a couple books from your amazingly helpful list ("Successful Drawing" and "Color and Light") and am going to swing by my local art store to pick up some stuff in a little bit

I'll bounce back in as I have questions/progress, but I want to say thanks. Just the existence of this thread pushed me into getting started

If there was one other book from that list you would consider ESSENTIAL when you're just starting out, what would it be? I'll eventually end up picking up more, but after the two I ordered what's next?

Servbot24

Banned
DEATH™;162412534 said:
Guys, I need help! I'm trying to shop for a new laptop, since I feel better drawing out of the house (and also doing most homework too). I just realized that I would have a hard time doing a comfortable setup out there since I don't use the tablet on my lap. Anyone have any suggestions for comfortable mobile setups? Do I have to buy stands/tilts for both my laptop and tablet?

http://www.nomad-artist.com

Kind of expensive but very nice.

DEATH™

Thank you for this thread! I've always wanted to start drawing, but never really dedicated myself to it. But that's exactly what I'm doing now. I ordered a couple books from your amazingly helpful list ("Successful Drawing" and "Color and Light") and am going to swing by my local art store to pick up some stuff in a little bit

I'll bounce back in as I have questions/progress, but I want to say thanks. Just the existence of this thread pushed me into getting started

If there was one other book from that list you would consider ESSENTIAL when you're just starting out, what would it be? I'll eventually end up picking up more, but after the two I ordered what's next?

When you are just starting out and tgtrying to get the gist of things, Loomis books are a must (Successful Drawing, Drawing the Heand and Hands, Figure Drawing for all its Worth, and Creative Illustration). Just remember though that there is a bit of understandable inaccuracies that you need to take note of, like inaccurate anatomy at times (especially at figure drawing for all its worth), inaccurate form principle (mistook highlight from center light), and inaccurate color principles (Creative Illustration, where he misinterpreted the effects of subsurface scattering to form principle). If you get at those areas, I will explain it further why those are wrong.

Now it gives me an idea later.

http://www.nomad-artist.com

Kind of expensive but very nice.

Thanks! Though it won't fit my tablet, it looks to be a great sketching setup! Gotta check it out!

Top Bottom