• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Artbooks - The Best And The Worst

You and me both. I don't know why on earth I put off getting that art book for so long.

I kept saying to myself : buy a bulk on amazon.uk its cheaper, save on shipping. Get P3, P4 and P5 books at once. I checked everyday ' should I just buy now ? '

every week.

then one day ' out of stock FOREVER '

Fuck me. :(

Art of Prey is 23$ instead of 39$

jK5D2Dm.png

Curious about the quality of this, especially the commentary. If anyone has it.

Art of AC Origins is up for pre-orders on amazon for lower than its 39$ MSRP

RZdwhyd.png

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Do you guys rip out pages / cut out pictures from artbooks to hang them?

lazyguy

If you actually do this please do me a favour and go at a con and start doing it in front of fans of these series' artbook and film it.
That would be amazing.

Laws00

WHAT.THE.HELL

Maybe if I was still a kid.

There's plenty of posters out there worth hanging up that you don't need to rip open a $30-$60 art book

H1PSTER

I've got a signed Alice: The Madness Returns artbook, love it.

I'm trying to find the Dark Souls books but they seem rare in the UK which sucks.

Edit: Might as well show it off!

cBjkD3H.jpg

And my modest collection!

wlIGOak.jpg

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
What the fuck, no.

respect the books.

I wouldn't do that, I was just wondering if that's a thing people do.

If you actually do this please do me a favour and go at a con and start doing it in front of fans of these series' artbook and film it.
That would be amazing.

well now that I think about it

Lime

So they're all real good but the bloodbourne art book is bad from what I'm hearing?

It's decent but it's in softcover, whereas the Dark Souls are hardcover with a shell so they're really nice.

No of course not.

Although probably not okay and you'd have to get approval due to copyright, you can just scan the image you want in a very high resolution and get a place to print it. My own personal ethics are that if the company or the artist do not provide posters of the material I want or that the game has been abandoned, then I think it's fine to print a personal copy for yourself to hang.

Platy

I've got a signed Alice: The Madness Returns artbook, love it.

I'm trying to find the Dark Souls books but they seem rare in the UK which sucks.

Edit: Might as well show it off!

Funny that the dark souls 2 is on discount right now on amazon brazil.

On a related note, I bought Zelda Arts and Artifacts today =P

H1PSTER

I've actually just found the second one at a decent price but I'd want the first too... And the price for that is just insane.

Hopefully Udon will reprint them at some point.

I really fucking love my local Half Price Books. I saw those 2 Megaman books and basically did a triple take, was regretting not buying one on Amazon before the price shot up to around $100 third party.

Also managed to get the Capcom Fighting Tribute and Hardcover Art of Capcom in the past two weeks for like 15-20$ each as well.

20664036_1153235094778217_514514387169625148_n.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I really fucking love my local Half Price Books. I saw those 2 Megaman books and basically did a triple take, was regretting not buying one on Amazon before the price shot up to around $100 third party.

Also managed to get the Capcom Fighting Tribute and Hardcover Art of Capcom in the past two weeks for like 15-20$ each as well.

I scored one for $25 just the other day, too! SUCH a great book.

I'm going back tomorrow and will see if they have another in case anyone here wants one.

PM me if you're looking to sell one of those MM25 books :)

Sorry I only brought it as a gift for a friend who loves classic Megaman as much as me, otherwise I would have left it for some other lucky soul. I would grab more if people here wanted some, but I think those two were literally the only ones left, and I won't be able to check back till probably Wednesday.

H1PSTER

Decided to treat myself to a DSII and Bloodborne Design Works... Now I need the reprint of DS1 and DS3 and I'll be golden.

It really annoys me that Bloodborne isn't hardback though

Next book on my list is the Tactics Ogre artbook, pretty sure I'm gonna bite the trigger on that one on Amazon JP tonight so I dont regret it later.

Still sad my Breath of Fire and Persona 4 books on Amazon seem to be in permanent backorder, but I guess thats what I get for waffling on them

Holy crap. Just ordered this from Amazon:

I didn't even know he finally made a second one until today. I bought the first Cannabis Works book over a decade ago. Some really wild stuff in it, so I'm glad he put out another book.

What is that? Looks interesting.

I don't want to just say it's an artbook, but it is. The first one came out over a decade ago and had some really unique stuff in it. There's a lot of urban aesthetics and some robots. You can probably google the artist and see a lot of it. The original is one of my very favorite artbooks, so I can't wait to see what's in this one.

Spacebar

I went ahead and pre ordered the Destiny 2 art book. The first one is really good so I hope they use the same publisher.

1upsuper

I don't want to just say it's an artbook, but it is. The first one came out over a decade ago and had some really unique stuff in it. There's a lot of urban aesthetics and some robots. You can probably google the artist and see a lot of it. The original is one of my very favorite artbooks, so I can't wait to see what's in this one.

Nice, I'm into that. I'll look into the first one.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I got the Bloodborne art book for my birthday. I know it got a lot of detractors, but as someone who owns just about zero gaming artbooks (beyond a few smaller ones that came as pre-order bonuses), I enjoy it. *shrugs*

Big fan of the Destiny art book, happy that they're releasing a second one at the launch of Destiny 2. Love art books for games and glad to see this thread, loads of one's that I'll need to pick up.

DemWalls

I got the Bloodborne art book for my birthday. I know it got a lot of detractors, but as someone who owns just about zero gaming artbooks (beyond a few smaller ones that came as pre-order bonuses), I enjoy it. *shrugs*

Personally, I wasn't disappointed by the content (which could be a bit better anyway), but by the quality of the volume when compared to its predecessor. Taken by itself, it's fine if a bit pricey.

Soar

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I asked about these and apparently they're both pretty shit.

I have both. To get the best out of them you really need to be able to read Japanese unfortunately. If you insist on getting one, the former has some pretty good illustrations of the weapons and sketches while the latter consists mostly of screencaps from the game and environment concept art.

$40 is WAY too much for the World Guide. I paid a little more than $15 for it on Amazon Japan back in April and I consider it a good purchase for that price. If you're interested, maybe find another book to import along with it.

I guess I should get the World guide then? I could buy the OST along with it.

Platy

Arrived !

Way bigger than Hyrule storia but the arts were kinda ... meh. Expected more sketches and never before seen art.
Those small arts in the interview interested me more than the rest of the ones in the book xD

I saw those 2 Megaman books and basically did a triple take

20664036_1153235094778217_514514387169625148_n.jpg

DeeOyem.gif

Top Bottom