• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Artbooks - The Best And The Worst

Lime

Anyone have hands on with this?

I'm looking for a great Yoji Shinkawa book.

it's printed on some amazing different types of paper and it has interesting good quotes by Shinkawa. There's also some fold-outs of various promotional art pieces, such as the cyber ninja.

This is one of my favorites

images
It's an artbook not even of WotLK, but specifically JUST the intro CGI. The entire process of making it, all the concept art, renders, interviews with the people who made it, storyboards, everything.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Personally, I wasn't disappointed by the content (which could be a bit better anyway), but by the quality of the volume when compared to its predecessor. Taken by itself, it's fine if a bit pricey.
I see. It was a gift for me so price wasn't a factor, but I guess I can see why people would be disappointed if it was more expensive than Souls books and had less content.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
The OST is amazing. Also, both those two books will form Emil's complete head on their spines. I'm not helping I know, but just to let you know :).

I guess I have to get all of them then. lol

*sigh* Would be nice to have 2B herself signed them had I gotten them sooner.

Dead Space saga artbook is 16$ on amazon.us

2UellvV.png

You should check this out.

I'm so salty about these incredible amazon.us prices on these books...

Received this in the mail yesterday.

It's fucking legit.

Each page is occupied with wonderful sketches and art reflecting grisly horror and science-fiction themes coupled with descriptions by the designers.

I wish more artbooks of this sort made an equally concentrated effort to explain what the image is, not just show it.

Spacebar

The Art of Gwent showed up today. Overall it's a really nice book. It basically shows almost all the cards of Gwent sorted by deck type. Almost all images have a title, brief description and artist name. I do think it would be cool to see some concept art or rough sketches before the finalized images. If you're a fan of the Witcher series you'll probably really like this.

DemWalls

I consider myself kind of a Witcher expert, and I own every other artbook, yet I had no idea one about Gwent came out. Looks good.

The release date for the Art of Persona 5 from Prima changed once again.

Amazon UK changed the date to december and Amazon Germany to november.

Guess that thing will never come out.

smh. they will announce something in TGS and they just post phone the art book release to treat us with added content from the inevitable Rouge Edition ?

Right ?

Right ?

Sorian

Banned
I consider myself kind of a Witcher expert, and I own every other artbook, yet I had no idea one about Gwent came out. Looks good.

It was kind of under the radar. They announced it back at the beginning of the year for a March or May release and then quietly kicked the release date back to September, only knew about the delay because Amazon sent along the usual e-mail for that type of thing, don't think CDPR ever formally announced the delay.

Shovel Knight book out soon I think, I've got my eye on that one.

I'm still waiting for its price to leap up when it does get a firm release date, the current price is way too good!

Found the Battlefield 4 artbook for 5$ in a thrift shop. I dont care at all for BF4 but these things never show up in the thrift shop around here.

I'll forever regret missing the art of skyrim :(

Anyone got the Horizon: Zero Dawn artbook?

copy pasted my comments from 2 pages earlier :

It's a nice book. But it lack concept studies and trial & error.

It's basically a world art book, in the sens that it shows in details the work put in the final game. It shows details on the different tribes, their style, people, armor, houses, weapons... with great text explaining design decisions, philosophies and focus...

But it feels like a collection, not like a creative process, with the progress, the errors, the exploration around shapes, colors, forms... And I like that in my artbooks but this one just is not about that.

I would still, recommend this to anyone who enjoyed the game. It's beautiful and its really paying tribute to the amazing work and details done on the game's massive universe, on the tribes, the locations, the housings, the armors...

But like any good artbook, the more it shows, the more it lacks because it can't show EVEYRTHING :D

The best part is truly the collection or work on Alloy and all the iterations in all art form. I wish we had that much details for the machines for example !

Aranjah

As a contender for worst art book I submit that dinky little thing that came with the FFXIII-2 special edition. It was postcard-sized and might have had 16 pages, can't even remember if it had that many.
Pretty disappointing +when the art is the thing the XIII games had going for them the most.

Found the Battlefield 4 artbook for 5$ in a thrift shop. I dont care at all for BF4 but these things never show up in the thrift shop around here.

copy pasted my comments from 2 pages earlier :

The best part is truly the collection or work on Alloy and all the iterations in all art form. I wish we had that much details for the machines for example !

Oh so it has the Loish's concept pieces of Alloy then?

ZoronMaro

Has something happened to Udon? I can't find anything official, but their official website hasn't been updated in years and it's been a long time since I've heard about any new releases from them.

It seems at least their facebook page has some activity, did they just stop doing artbooks and are only doing comics now?

Has something happened to Udon? I can't find anything official, but their official website hasn't been updated in years and it's been a long time since I've heard about any new releases from them.

It seems at least their facebook page has some activity, did they just stop doing artbooks and are only doing comics now?

The localized Bloodborne book came out not long ago. But yeah, they seem much less active now than they used to. You have other companies like Dark Horse and Titan Books stepping up now and putting out really good quality artbooks, so it's not as noticeable as it could be.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...

I'd hazard a guess that the fees for licensing and localizing Japanese game artbooks magically shot way up when Hyrule Historia was topping Amazon and NYT Bestsellers' lists.

I'd hazard a guess that the fees for licensing and localizing Japanese game artbooks magically shot way up when Hyrule Historia was topping Amazon and NYT Bestsellers' lists.

Well, let's be honest. Dark Horse has been putting more care into their artbooks than Udon has in the past.

ZoronMaro

The localized Bloodborne book came out not long ago. But yeah, they seem much less active now than they used to. You have other companies like Dark Horse and Titan Books stepping up now and putting out really good quality artbooks, so it's not as noticeable as it could be.

Ah I didn't know they did the Bloodborne book, (although based on peoples impressions it sounds like less than what I used to expect from them). I guess now with more competition they don't stand out as much, still doesn't explain why they can't update their website once in a while.

I'm holding out hope they'll reprint their Persona 3/4 books but that might not happen, at least they're not dead that's good.

Ultimadrago

The Art of Gwent showed up today. Overall it's a really nice book. It basically shows almost all the cards of Gwent sorted by deck type. Almost all images have a title, brief description and artist name. I do think it would be cool to see some concept art or rough sketches before the finalized images. If you're a fan of the Witcher series you'll probably really like this.

Mine just came in. Seems solid so far!

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Well, let's be honest. Dark Horse has been putting more care into their artbooks than Udon has in the past.
I guess, but they've hardly done a ton of artbooks for Japanese games. I'll take a packed slate of no-frills localized releases over one or two flowery releases a year.

Udon backing off more than likely means that artbooks they might have been interested in just won't come out here at all, not that someone else will pick all those books up and do a better job. And the quality could go the other way, too; I damn sure trusted Udon's work more than I do Prima's.

Ah I didn't know they did the Bloodborne book, (although based on peoples impressions it sounds like less than what I used to expect from them). I guess now with more competition they don't stand out as much, still doesn't explain why they can't update their website once in a while.

The BloodBorne book was pretty bare-bones. The cover felt pretty cheap, too. I don't even know if they're going to localize the Dark Souls III Design Works that came out in Japan recently.

How is the Last Guardian book? There have been a few I've skipped out on simply because I hate the landscape format for artbooks.

Its not a traditional artbook. Its more like a post mortem book and playthrough with a dev commentary of every chapter. Sure it has great art & sketches but its almost half of a book you read than you look at.

It's an incredible read too. If you were moved by the game, get it its a must. If like me, you weren't that much moved by the game in the end, but still wanted to know more about this 10 years long adventure to make this anticipated gem, give it a try, it gave me a totally fresh look, incredibly deeper understanding of the game's vision, tone, themes, inspirations, intended goals and more...

It does an incredible job a humanizing a game, a project, with its entire team of creator behind it.

I think its a must read.

Oh so it has the Loish's concept pieces of Alloy then?

Yes ! Many of them !

Servbot24

Banned
How's the Bayo art book? The reviews in Amazon showed some promo renders and I'm only interested in concept art, primarily 2D character concepts.

Top Bottom