• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

I arted apples. Then ate them. Getting the hang of Photoshop.

apples.jpg

FCMaxi said:
Here's my digital painting of Iron Man I created for a class assignment. This was my first time painting in photoshop so I'm pretty please with the end result. All done by mouse and used a reference picture

]http://fc84.deviantart.com/fs39/f/2008/312/1/c/Iron_Man_Digital_Painting_by_FCMaxi.png
you did this on your first time on photoshop? wtf screw you man!
You too Manabanana!
awesome stuff, both of you

So Ive been trying to work with inks and I'd like to know how to make long straight lines. I fail miserably when trying to use a ruler with a fountain pen. Help please.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
From the SF art contest thread in gaming. Will have some colors tonight

sfiv_insidecover_wip2.jpg

Zoukka I participated in 24 hr comic day, but I havent scanned my stuff yet :)

Mik2121

Wow, the level around here is crazy! Now I don't really know what could I post. Mmmm...

I'm studying design but I'm still on my first year, so don't be very harsh:

spmil.jpg

cluto

I'm learning how to paint in photoshop too. I did an apple for my first digital painting ever -- posted it in the same thread as Manabanana on conceptart.org.

Apple.
2jeslcx.jpg

Today I did the Joker as my second digital painting because I was bored and I need the practice.
25u3zer.jpg

I used someone's avatar for reference. I don't know his name though, sorry dude.
257lpwk.jpg

It's probably not a good thing that I'm skipping over using traditional brushes and blending techniques, but I really prefer to do things in my own style and I've always been positive-minded about artists exploring their own artistic personalities, so whatever.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Concepting some stuff for me to model in Maya. Keeping it simple:

lucas_shop.jpg

I think most people saw the finished piece, but just in case

Inside_Cover_Art_XavierGarcia.jpg

Dali

What perfect timing. I literally just finished this caricature of myself I made for my Facebook profile pic and this thread has already been bumped so I don't have to search for it. It's pretty shitty and it really doesn't look that much like me, but I guess that's for the best considering my reservations about creating a Facebook profile in the first place.

nejnns.jpg

Mik2121

Hello there. I've been learning ZBrush for the last few days and I just started sculpting heads after learning most of the basics and some other stuff.

I'm still a 1st year design student so it's not like I know a lot (though I've been touching 3D software for longer), so don't be very harsh! Of course, c&c are NEEDED!.

Oh, and last but not least, I'd like to say I'm using a basic face mesh available on the Pixologic site. It's a face with around 1200 polys... Is it OK to use it? One of my teachers said it was OK, because it was just like having a basic object to work with instead of having to make the head by myself first, unless I first had it done with 3DSMax..

Anyway, those are the heads I've done so far today:

zbrush1.jpg

^^^^^
This one took me about 40 minutes and after finishing it, I completely disliked the little hornes it has on top. It just looks so.. stereotypical. But anyway.. it was kind of fun.

zbrush2.jpg

^^^^^^
This one took me around 20 minutes. I know it's not very detailed (the hair on the top is quite pixelated) but I really wanted to try and make it really look like an old person. I need to look more pics of old persons to make it more realistic, though...

couple new images

ODB__2pac__Biggie_by_redcancer_.jpg

quick concept image for a painting. its a little primitive by itself, so i'd like to go over this one again and add some more things

A_Moment_of_Bliss_by_redcancer_.jpg

first real work in months, so i was really rusty in this one. dont really like it.

orioto

Good Art™
Like your art hookedonritalin and iddqd ! (and Raging Spaniard obviously !)

while we are posting some learning stuff, this is my first try with zbrush !! yeaaahh !! Actually i tried the soft 2-3 hours with the base face, but i'm bored to masterize all the tools.. It's so complicated !

VegetaEssai01.jpg

I know he looks hi ^^ It's a real pain in the ass to rotate the eye in xyz directions !

Mik2121

You should make the faces using Zspheres rather than the pre-made faces, but.. nice, even though the mesh is a little bit messed and the muscle flow doesn't make much sense ^^

I made this a few mins ago, practicing with my pen tablet. It's a fast drawing of an apple.. quite simple:

apple.png

Timo

From this reference photo:

reference.jpg

I have constructed 2 pieces for my art finals:

selfportrait08.jpg

canhead.jpg

Tomorrow I might have even better pictures, and I also have 2 more images that I abstracted from the conte crayon piece. If anyone could real quick tonight give me any fixable things to do with the conte piece, that would be super sweet.

Any crits on these or comments would be awesome.

For my finals, also.

Dali

I always love to see this thread bumped.

@iddq: I really like your "more weirdness" line work.

@orioto: Nice. I prefer to hear "done from scratch", but the face is so stylized I'll still give you props. The neck area needs work but it still looks pretty good.

@ragingspaniard: Your more recent stuff is amazing. Just going by the stuff you've posted over the last couple of years, it's obvious you've reached a new plateau. I really hope your SFIV piece is chosen. I can't imagine how great the winner's work looks if it isn't yours. It's hard to top.

Since he's so modest (or not an OT regular), I feel obligated to post neoGAF member, darkvir's, amazing Oro Zbrush mesh.

2161aa.jpg

Once again this is a darkvir creation, not my own.

Xun

That darkvir piece is awesome.

Anyway, here's a WIP.

Link_Test_0001.jpg

Thoughts? Also I'd like to mention this is just a small portion of the piece, and that the background in this will not be present in the final artwork.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
This isn't new, but I'm re-posting it as the original image quality was really shit so here's a better version:

Empty_by_YouFoolWarrenIsDEAD.jpg

It still doesn't show my inking properly as you lose a lot of detail.

Oh well.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Nice work sammy, especially love that dear. I've seen your work on Conceptart from time to time, nice to see you here. iddqd those weird drawings are great man, love those.

Hey what are the rules on art containing nudity here? I have some drawings/paintings that I want to share, but I don't want to get in trouble/banned over it. Are they allowed? Can I post them as an image, or can I "NSFW link" them?

Mik2121

Nice stuff Sammy!.

I just made (well, one of them I made it a couple days ago) two fast and simple sketches for my next project:

Model1-CVar1.jpg

It's a mix between a dragon and a peacock. I'm doing some different concepts, and I'll add wings to this thing as well, but as of right now I'm not really painting any details as I'm just getting some ideas and drawing them as I think about it. I've got a lot of inspiration pictures of both dragons and peacocks as well as Arabian style traditional stuff like buildings, decorations, etc..

The second sketch is for the background:

2d-p-sketch1.jpg

It's basically an Arabian city with two sides of a cliff in the front layer. I used some Aladdin concept arts for the color palette of the sky.

The final version of my project will be in 3D with some Photoshop touch-ups, color modifications etc.. I'll do the dragon and main character (I'll post the main character's sketches other day) with ZBrush, the cliff sides with 3DSMax and Zbrush detailings and the background with 3DSmax + Photoshop.

Prax

Since I'm being a very bad student and procrastinating, I thought I might as well share the products of my procrastination! All ballpoint pen, of course, with some limited Paint Shop Pro-ing.

Don't know if you remember, but I had some troubles figuring out what steampunk was all about, so I did a little bit of research and came up with this stuff:

What_the_heck_are_steampunks_by_Meibatsu.jpg

Oooh, they are in some kind of airship! =... steampunk? lol
Nadathir (left) and Zehn'l (right) are like messengers/couriers.
I know, they are not in top hats and cravats, but I'm getting close..!

Tea_Time_by_Meibatsu.jpg

Okay, for sure now! Right??
Ulir's gto a top hat, a pocketwatch, a double-breasted vest thing, and oxfordy shoes! Noroi's got a full dress and umbrella!
Tanks and smoke in the background! (all the tanks are bronze-plated, of course?)

Haha, well enough of that theme...
Because I'm such a great and original character designer, here's an unnamed character that's already dead in my overall story:
nameless_hunter_2_by_Meibatsu.jpg

I have described him as the unholy mix of Sephiroth and Dante... and possibly Yuri.
He hunted gods and high-level entities and used their fragmented essences as ammunition for his rifle. Then he crossed the wrong entity and wound up dead.

Give me good wishes for my student-y soul, for I have essays to write and exams to study for. *weep*

Raging Spaniard

Dali said:
I always love to see this thread bumped.

@iddq: I really like your "more weirdness" line work.

@orioto: Nice. I prefer to hear "done from scratch", but the face is so stylized I'll still give you props. The neck area needs work but it still looks pretty good.

@ragingspaniard: Your more recent stuff is amazing. Just going by the stuff you've posted over the last couple of years, it's obvious you've reached a new plateau. I really hope your SFIV piece is chosen. I can't imagine how great the winner's work looks if it isn't yours. It's hard to top.

Since he's so modest (or not an OT regular), I feel obligated to post neoGAF member, darkvir's, amazing Oro Zbrush mesh.

2161aa.jpg

Once again this is a darkvir creation, not my own.

Thanks Man! I never heard anything from Capcom, so I'm assuming the worst :) Either way its nice to hear I'm getting better, it can be hard for somebody to notice that about their own work.

However, I'm pretty sure its cool if I share the supah high res 600 dpi version of the art, so here:

AND HOLY FUCKING SHIT AT DARKVIR. I'd seen that piece before but had no idea a Gaffer made it, amazing.

For me, two things, I'm starting a new project. I dfont wanna type all of it again so this is from my blog:

main_character_studies_01.jpg

I'm a big fan of "The Skillful Huntsman", a project that put together 3 Art Students (at the time) and together they developed an entire concept study for a brothers Grimm story. Its a fantastic reference book, I couldn't recommend it enough.

Matter of fact, I'm so inspired by it, I might as well follow their footsteps. I'm trying to come up with a very simple game idea. An action game or an adventure game perhaps and figure out the main 8 categories it needs to have concepted out and focus on one of them each couple of weeks, or month. By the end of the project I should have characters, environments, props, enemies, NPC's, weapons and vehicles done and that could make it a VERY worthwhile time investment for me. In some cases Ill take some of the studies (props, vehicles, a small environment) and do a 3d model as well.

Right now I want it to be character based. I toyed with the idea of making it an RPG, but that would make it too broad for the time I can invest right now. So an action game like Heavenly Sword might work out best in terms of scope. I'm thinking near future, blend of post apocalyptic and steam punk, a main character that is trying to find his place in a new society so he needs to scale up the ranks and prove himself. What if he was just a scout for a group of mercenaries and as the story progresses he finds himself having to form his own group? That means I could start with somebody with a slender built, not very menacing and he could evolve from there.

Anyways, that's what I had in mind when I did the first round of thumbnails. Ill keep doing more character studies in the following days.

Second, the game sucks and if youre over 14 dont get it, but Nerf N-Strike shipped and I was doing some concept work for it. Now its always hard to talk about this stuff since its so "design by committee" but I am proud of the work I did for the project even if really isnt my best.

Anyways, heres our main character Shane. This is a piece that was done internally and for placeholder Character Select art. Hes my design as far as look and clothing but not my character in any other sense. The piece in itself was not used for anything final as the colors were deemed a little too exuberant, which is fine since I did this piece to play with colors in the first placer and next thing I know its already in the game, wtf.

nstrike_shane_01.jpg

Next is a character that was part of the initial cast and eventually he didnt make the cut. This piece was again for internal marketing and just placeholder cover art. His design is also mine, although all they gave me was short Asian kid with big ears ... oh, videogames.

nstrike_mouse_01.jpg

So yeah, initially I was gonna make a thread putting a lot of the work for the game that I did and talk about how many times the game changed design and how it all affected the concept work, but fuck it, I'll just post it all here in this thread :p

Prax

Raging Spaniard said:
awesome stuff

Do it! I love hearing about character design processes! You can post it all in this thread. I love seeing how a character or concepts change through their development.

btw, I love your exuberantly-coloured Shane. It's too bad you didn't get to design the cover piece, because I think your style would have stood out a lot more. But I suppose they wanted their Nerf stuff to stay consistent with the style of other children's products/cartoons?

Raging Spaniard

Prax said:
Do it! I love hearing about character design processes! You can post it all in this thread. I love seeing how a character or concepts change through their development.

btw, I love your exuberantly-coloured Shane. It's too bad you didn't get to design the cover piece, because I think your style would have stood out a lot more. But I suppose they wanted their Nerf stuff to stay consistent with the style of other children's products/cartoons?

Thanks! Yeah as far as cover work EA has an internal studio that takes care of all that stuff, that being said I was pleased with what they did but I would have liked to have a shot at the cover since did make the character and all, anyways.

Yeah the project had so many changes, it went from being a Zelda clone to a rail shooter to a 3rd person railshooter to a mini game collection with a rail shooter segment ... but hey sometimes things work out that way you know? We still gave it our best shot and we can be proud of that (plus its selling well :D )

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Prax said:
Since I'm being a very bad student and procrastinating, I thought I might as well share the products of my procrastination! All ballpoint pen, of course, with some limited Paint Shop Pro-ing.

Don't know if you remember, but I had some troubles figuring out what steampunk was all about, so I did a little bit of research and came up with this stuff:

Give me good wishes for my student-y soul, for I have essays to write and exams to study for. *weep*
Nice and simple, compared how some artists go overboard loading their characters with mechanical junk.

I like.

Mik2121

(Gotta love how I'm trying to bump this thread every now and then and yet everybody seems to ignore everything I do, lol..)

Oh well, here's something I posted a few days ago in another thread. It's a human body I'm doing for the character I'll use on my current project:

3d-z-body4.jpg

Also, Raging Spaniard, I like the colors you use in some of your illustrations. That desaturated tone looks pretty nice :)

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Mik2121 said:
(Gotta love how I'm trying to bump this thread every now and then and yet everybody seems to ignore everything I do, lol..)

It's because there isn't much to comment on your work. You're getting there, but right now simple 3D models or quick doodles won't earn you many comments or remarks - if you're looking for in depth feed back you'd be better off participating in a learning/activity or workshop thread, or a mentor thread on any of the various big art forums.

Raging Spaniard

Mik2121 said:

Oh well, here's something I posted a few days ago in another thread. It's a human body I'm doing for the character I'll use on my current project:

3d-z-body4.jpg

Also, Raging Spaniard, I like the colors you use in some of your illustrations. That desaturated tone looks pretty nice :)

Hey thats a nice model! What software are you using and could we see some wires? Cant really say much till I take a look at the edgeloops :) That being said I wonder how much more detail youll add to the armpit/ribcage area since it seems a bit inconsistent with the rest

Extollere said:
Oh - I forgot. Since nobody answered my question about the nudity thing, I'll just post these ones I did as NSFW.

NSFW - digital girls and sketches

If this is against rules let me know and I'll take it down just don't ban me again oh god! :D

Those are awesome and yeah, I think linking to them works best (unless its life drawing, I think that would be fine)

My favorite is probably the middle one in the colored row, although from your blog Im a big fan of this one:

nude_chair.jpg

Really well done :)

Mik2121

Extollere said:
It's because there isn't much to comment on your work. You're getting there, but right now simple 3D models or quick doodles won't earn you many comments or remarks - if you're looking for in depth feed back you'd be better off participating in a learning/activity or workshop thread, or a mentor thread on any of the various big art forums.

Noted!.

Anyway, I hope you guys don't mind if I post more stuff regarding my project over here. I also have a thread open at CGTalk (CGSociety), but I'd also like your critics and comments :)

Raging Spaniard said:
Hey thats a nice model! What software are you using and could we see some wires? Cant really say much till I take a look at the edgeloops :) That being said I wonder how much more detail youll add to the armpit/ribcage area since it seems a bit inconsistent with the rest

I'm using ZBrush and that model has just way too many polygons (working with ZBrush lets you have a lot of polygons in an object without any slowdown). Anyway I'm at school right now so I'll post the wireframe in a few hours, once I get back home. I'm glad you are liking it.

dmshaposv

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Nice work everyone. Here's a smattering of my stuff:

3103659401_14a367877d.jpg
3103659369_15630cd0a9.jpg

3104498044_9caf43c505.jpg
3103670369_5411880cf1.jpg

Nice work, your artwork is a cross between Guillermo del toro fantasies and fumito ueda's video games.

Grotesque yet beautiful. ;)

KR3W

Banned
so how does one become good at art? I've always been interested in becoming a good artist. Is it something that comes naturally, or can it be learned?

KR3W said:
so how does one become good at art? I've always been interested in becoming a good artist. Is it something that comes naturally, or can it be learned?

It can be learned, just as much as you can learn to play video games.

It takes a lot of time, patience, retrying, and throwing pens, paints, mice, and controllers.

Top Bottom