• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

mr stroke

RyType said:
I like the first pic SilentProtagonist, do you have anymore from your game?

Some stuff I've been doing lately. I'm hoping to make some childrens books eventually-
i6jlg4.jpg

ml116r.jpg

11ceemw.jpg

amazing shit, love your style man....SICK :)

OchreHand

Great to see this thread come alive with talent.

i haven't posted in a while but here are five paintings i did recently for a contest, to illustrate an epic poem. i chose 'dante's divine comedy'

jeremy_deveraturda_funlaborcom_dante_1.jpg

jeremy_deveraturda_funlaborcom_dante_2.jpg

jeremy_deveraturda_funlaborcom_dante_3.jpg

jeremy_deveraturda_funlaborcom_dante_4.jpg

jeremy_deveraturda_funlaborcom_dante_5.jpg

RyType

Impressive work Orchehand, were they made digitally? whats the poem about?

And Prax, those look great,I kinda want to finish Fire Emblem on the gamecube now...

OchreHand

hey thanks !

Rtype, it's painted digitally,
the poem is hard to describe because it's pretty complex and imaginative, but it's basically about the main character Dante who travels through levels of Purgatory and Hell (most of the way guided by the poet Virgil), and ultimately ending in Paradise. stuff of epic proportions

here's a couple of close up shots.. i paint really really loose..

2_closeup.jpg

4_closeup.jpg

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
Wow. Wow wow wow.

I love these! The style reminds me a bit of Turner.

As someone who loves the Divine Comedy, I have to say that you really captured something of the poem in your paintings - the different moods or feelings as Dante progresses through each level? Whatever it is, you really nailed it.

Are higher res versions available? I would so buy prints of these. I love Charon taking them across the river Styx!

Edit: Looked at your Digitalart gallery. The waterscapes are all wonderful (I'm a sucker for all things nautical) - very Turner-esque. Please tell me I can get prints of some of these!

mug

Something I've been working off and on for awhile, not nearly completed.
workingproject_1.jpg

2 more suffering the same fate:
sharobo1.jpg

shashin114.jpg

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Good to see this thread end the year on a high note!

Nothing from me though, I just came back from x-mas in Spain and Im playing waaay too much Fable 2, mabbe in a couple of days Ill draw something (I need better discipline, lol)

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Just downloaded a trial of sketchbook pro after seeing somebody in cg hub used it for sketching stuff out, so this is like 30 minutes of messing around with it

flyboy1.jpg

The program is actually pretty nice! It has some innovative use of the zoom, brush resizing and its ballpoint pen brush is just about perfect. Ill probably stick with Photoshop surely, but its nice to check other stuff out every now and then.

dude

dude
Raging Spaniard said:
Just downloaded a trial of sketchbook pro after seeing somebody in cg hub used it for sketching stuff out, so this is like 30 minutes of messing around with it

flyboy1.jpg

The program is actually pretty nice! It has some innovative use of the zoom, brush resizing and its ballpoint pen brush is just about perfect. Ill probably stick with Photoshop surely, but its nice to check other stuff out every now and then.
Speaking of which, what programs are you guys using? I've been using openCanvas for years now and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Raging Spaniard said:

flyboy1.jpg

I've used Sketchbook Pro once, but I can't find the site to download it anymore, the trial that is. Do you have a link for me?

I've been absent from this thread for longer than I had wished. Great artwork being posted since I last put up my work!, I hope this thread lives on!

I'm gonna post a couple sketches I'm working on, and one that I consider finished. I might go further with it.

sketchies.jpg

goblinshaman1.jpg

...and a traditional charcoal drawing I did for my life drawing class (I'll post a link since the model is nude)
Nude lady

Great stuff from GAF, as always. Something new, as I haven't posted since the old thread:
Penguin_Knight_by_HumanShield78.jpg

Finally got a new scanner! To quote Costanza, "I'm back, baby!" :D

AniHawk

orioto said:
There are awesome artists on GAF, i feel like shit lol !!
No, your art is great.

But if you really feel bad, I'll post my refrigerator drawings (they're not good for much else) to make you feel better.

Ochre: Bagel's right about your style being reminiscent of Turner's. Absolutely beautiful, man.

OchreHand

Thanks all for looking :) Turner is actually one of my favorite artists -- I didn't really care for landscapes until a few years ago, when I caught his watercolor retrospective at the Philly museum. I was totally blown away. I also just love looking at Romantic art in general.

Bagels: Thanks for checking out my digital art gallery. Doing prints is something I want to do eventually. I might for the new year! Hopefully!

Raging Spaniard

Awesome Arcipello, really liked the girl before this one as well, are you working all digital?

It struck me today that were in recession, so I better start working on my portfolio "just in case" you know?

This is the first wip for a new piece I just started, seems like people like seeing progress, so Ill post the colors as I go :)

door_to_elysium_wip1.jpg

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
OchreHand said:
Thanks all for looking :) Turner is actually one of my favorite artists -- I didn't really care for landscapes until a few years ago, when I caught his watercolor retrospective at the Philly museum. I was totally blown away. I also just love looking at Romantic art in general.

Bagels: Thanks for checking out my digital art gallery. Doing prints is something I want to do eventually. I might for the new year! Hopefully!

Drop me a PM if you do make prints! I'm a huge Turner fan too, so I love your style. I showed your gallery to some fellow Turner fans and they were all quite impressed. The Divine Comedy paintings blew them away. Are there more paintings in that series?

Incredible stuff, man.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Very cool stuff here! Nice work DM, I should draw more, I lost the patience:|

Not much to post but I'm working on this right now. It will probably confuse a lot of you folks, because I work in a weird way, going back and forth between 2D and 3D. So some parts are placeholders, other parts (like the water) are just stretched photos to be later replaced entirely, just to get an idea of where I'm going, etc. Until it is finished it will keep on looking messy. Lots of elements are still missing (people, more pipes, etc.).

egg_03.jpg

Raging Spaniard

Ether_Snake said:
Very cool stuff here! Nice work DM, I should draw more, I lost the patience:|

Not much to post but I'm working on this right now. It will probably confuse a lot of you folks, because I work in a weird way, going back and forth between 2D and 3D. So some parts are placeholders, other parts (like the water) are just stretched photos to be later replaced entirely, just to get an idea of where I'm going, etc. Until it is finished it will keep on looking messy. Lots of elements are still missing (people, more pipes, etc.).

egg_03.jpg

Thats excellent snake, you have the colors well balanced so nothing stands out a lot (in terms of being out of place) Cant wait to see it more polished, do you do any of this stuff at work for concept or you just like messing around with it on your free time?

Im close to being done, just doing the polish work now (Im distracted watching the Blazers game, so Im taking my time)

door_to_elysium_wip3.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Thanks RS. I do this in my free time, at work it's quite different (changes based on the project but overall it's just 3D/real-time). I'm hoping to really beef up my portfolio this year, get some stuff actually finished.

About the door, just a tip like that I got from illustrators/concept artists I work with (I have a hard time coloring anything so a lot of my work has often been left as black and white), you should first get the lighting right by working in black and white only. Once your tones are good, you can proceed to add colors. That way you have less variables to deal with, you can really focus on depth and light and get that part nailed down. Try it on your next piece.

Raging Spaniard

Thats good advice, Ill give it a shot next time. Working in black and white is something I do at work often if Im workin on a paintover or doing more photoreal stuff, but I need to give it a shot for my personal stuff as well (I have to figure out a nice way to color the grays, sometimes the overlay layer doesnt do what I want with it :\

Raging Spaniard

Aight, its done (or at least, Im done with it)

Im gonna try to make another one tomorrow, something that shows some vehicle concept an' shit

door_to_elysium.jpg

Raging Spaniard

I feel like I'm spamming, so if this gets annoying lemme now

Got the pencils done for a new piece, dunno how much coloring Ill get done tonight though, Im gonna do the values in grey like Ether Snake suggested so well see how it goes :)

shu_han_temple_wip1.jpg

OchreHand

Hey Raging Spaniard it's looking good. It's cool to see environments from youf. The only crit I can see is to add more contrast to your edges, perhaps adding some harder edges towards the stuff you want the viewer to focus on.

Bagels: wow thanks again. plus its always nice to hear from a turner fan (he was a genius and an innovator) sadly no more images in my dante series. but i guess ill make that a resolution for me, is to push out some prints :)

Arcipello: that's a really striking image, it's nightmarish and beautiful at the same time. i like the little ripple by the figure's elbow joint. it adds a lot.

Raging Spaniard

Thats a good piece Modus, great atmosphere!

Heres how my new piece is shaping up so far, dropped some greytones as a base and now Ill go in more detail and then add color

shu_han_temple_wip2.jpg

That looks great Raging Spaniard! Very good sense of depth. I need to start doing scenery.

Bumping this thread with a self-portrait.

jopo0.jpg

Prax

Awesome coming back to see great stuff for this year!

That is one handsome self-portrait, DM-Uselink. All it needs is an animated wink!

As for the rest of youz.. you think you're so great with your ability to make backgrounds...!

Well, I made one with no references--I mean--a background too!
Look, It's Adult Link!
Prince_Daffodil___BACKGROUND_by_Meibatsu.jpg

Just kidding! It's an original character, Prince Dafydd Defleuse. People just call him Daffodil though, cuz flowers are awesome.

I was trying to translate this into semi-anime-realism:
0308_daf_bw.jpg

0308_daf_c2mix.jpg

I know you wanna see my awful process:
Walkthrough_of_Daffodil_by_Meibatsu.jpg

I was a little too ambitious trying to do this, because not only am I newbie to shading faces, but this whole armour, clouds, and plants thing was way over my head. XD
So in the end, that hurt the cohesiveness of the image--and it looks way more generic than my New Year's Eve one.

Next image.. maybe learn to use:
- References
- Smudge Tool
- Different Layer for Background
- Maybe not use Paint Shop Pro

I think I'm done my "try to be better at art" quota for this month though, so you'll be seeing my ballpoint pen crap returning shortly. ;)

Mik2121

sammy said:
Crazy amounts of awesome in this thread, keep the inspiration up!

THE SPICE!!!!!!

(pic)

Pretty cool!! But I think the lighting bolts look a bit out of place..? Not sure though. Even then, pretty awesome!.

m0dus said:
I still don't think this falls under 'off topic,' but

http://i41.tinypic.com/21b86cl.jpg

I was fooling around at Caribou Coffee, testing out some new brushes on the old' tablet.

Here's the obscenely huge 3840x2160 version. For, er, I have no idea why.

http://modusproductions.com/neogaf/wallpaper/rocketkight.jpg

But it gave me the opportunity to throw some detail in there:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2vl9xlt.jpg

My background is usually just a blank black screen but I couldn't resist dropping your image in as my desktop. For how awesome that OBSCENELY huge version is I feel it's a disservice to just have it as my background but, without a printer, I couldn't make it my real life wallpaper. Thanks.

Raging Spaniard

I got some really good crits from conceptart, so heres the image after messing with some contrast values for a while

shu_han_temple.jpg

Arcipello

Raging Spaniard said:
I got some really good crits from conceptart, so heres the image after messing with some contrast values for a while

shu_han_temple.jpg

yeah getting the right balance of contrast really helps the mood of the artwork, i love playing with the Curves in photoshop when im done with an image just to push it that little bit further.

sammy

Mik2121 said:
Pretty cool!! But I think the lighting bolts look a bit out of place..? Not sure though. Even then, pretty awesome!.

hey thanks! yea, i went overboard with the zappin' i'll have to tone it down.

hearing about the 2010 adaptation has me inspired.
more dune:

thumper_drill.jpg

OchreHand

Amneziak said:
Wonderful, OchreHand. Corel Painter?

This scene needs to be in a game, whether or not it's based on the Divine Comedy.

Thanks Amneziak :) It's just Photoshop. Working in the entertainment industry as an illustrator is a goal of mine.

sammy, that looks great. i like how you rendered your peoples.

raging, the contrast improved the image tons. n1

Top Bottom