• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

I was stuck here the other day, it just came out of nowhere, and I have no recollection of how it came about.

stucktrappedstuapped.jpg

chase

I'm sure I've said this before, but you guys are insanely talented. It's really great to see all the different styles as well.

KR3W

Banned
Dreweyes said:
I never really used an instructional book, but what I did do that helped me alot was draw people in class and objects i saw that I thought would be interesting drawings and illustrated them with a ballpoint pen. Using a pen teaches you to better hand-eye coordination and less reliability on an eraser. Make the outside lines of any drawings you do smooth and clean, and have lots of contrast, lights and darks to give it dimension! Doodling something, then doodling something random into it, and so on and so forth is a fun drawing technique also.

Hope that helps some! :D
Thanks, I'll give it a try. :D

OchreHand

Arcipello said:
I actually also made a walkthrough video and put it up on youtube for anyoe whos interesting to see.

Love the new painting. Great color variation where the light hits the ice.

Manabanana said:
I'm looking for some feedback on this t-shirt design. Any suggestions?

That's a cute shirt. Hmm I don't know if I can add anything, except maybe add some drips of mud going down the t-shirt? But I think it's really cool.

Wonderful painting, Arcipello. The crop on the figure's at the bottom makes the whole piece feel really cinematic.

Human Shield, I'm just loving that octopuss illustration!

anyways, heres another piece I've been working on. I'm not so sure how I feel about it so I hope to get some people's thoughts on it:

Window_by_redcancer_.jpg

Dreweyes

hookedonritalin said:
Wonderful painting, Arcipello. The crop on the figure's at the bottom makes the whole piece feel really cinematic.

Human Shield, I'm just loving that octopuss illustration!

anyways, heres another piece I've been working on. I'm not so sure how I feel about it so I hope to get some people's thoughts on it:

Wow looks terrific! Great use of color, very fresh!! The hair is perfect.

Only real piece of criticism I can point out is that her left side looks weird/still unfinished or just not enough values or form. :)

Prax

Arcipello, that was too awesome. Even after watching it, I still don't know how you did it! XD So much for me to yet learn.

And neat characters, SilentProtagonist. What kind of comic are you working on? I'm always so tempted to try to start an actual series for the heck of it, but then I get burned out by the commitment required.

So anyway, time to add to this thread with my digressions! XD

Awesome old characters, Khara, Poly, and Linzie. I decided to get back to drawing compositions of them for nostalgia's sake, and I tried to do it in a more typical old school style too--but I think it's apparent that I didn't exactly get it right! (hair and eyes not big enough, girls not dainty enough!). They also all happen to be princesses and own a cat as well. Poly and her cat Titanus (shown in the middle) are specifically MY characters. The other two, Khara and Linzie belong to my cousins.

Phoenix_KPL_by_Meibatsu.jpg

It's the stuff of little girl's dreams~~!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Arcipello said:
I actually also made a walkthrough video and put it up on youtube for anyoe whos interesting to see.
WE ARE NOT WORTHY!

Arcipello said:

http://se.youtube.com/watch?v=sVpGQ0I8Clc&fmt=22

If you do that again, please just use something to record you painting the image. This is more like a time lapse, but I can't see what brushes you're using, etc. It's really not very conducive to picking up technique if you want to use videos to learn.

It's interesting that you start light though. I've always been told to start dark and bring the light shades out IIRC. Which is why my brain just shuts down when I attempt anything in color. :p

Prax said:
And neat characters, SilentProtagonist. What kind of comic are you working on? I'm always so tempted to try to start an actual series for the heck of it, but then I get burned out by the commitment required.
It's sort of a fantasy action-comedy sort of comic. It focuses on three main characters and sort of parodies RPGs and shounen-style manga while also (hopefully) delivering on being a decent action/drama series.

And yeah, I know what you mean about the whole commitment thing, but I'd suggest just starting with a three panel weekly or bi-weekly comic (with a simple premise) to get your feet wet.

Another character from the same comic:
Atom_sketch_by_SilentProtag.jpg

A location sketch from the same comic:
Atom__s_home_by_SilentProtag.jpg

Some extremely amazing stuff here. I wish I had 1/10 of the talent people in this thread seem to have.
Archipello, you are one talented mofo. MOAR please :D

So it looks like Ill get to start doing comic strips for my university paper. I just finished one last night and once I get it scanned Ill post it. Im excited.

Drew this still life in class with Vine Charcoal last night. Never used charcoal before. This is the first time that I am actually taking an art class, too. All my life I just... drew.

0130092039.jpg

Max@GC

yeah man what a dickhead;)...really good idea and execution but since I´m straight a bit disturbing though:).

my name is ed said:
Max@GC, thats really cool but that sphere may be a bit too dark.

I wanted that you just have a hint of it and its inside. Maybe I´ll add some more reflection or so...but thx man!

I made these the other day to play around with an arcade stick design. I liked the way they turned out so I made an icon set out of them as well. They're the panels from Puzzle League/Tetris Attack and some Puyos.

puzzleicons.png

here are the icons, if anyone wants them. OSX only, sorry :(

Download

OchreHand

hookedonritalin said:

That's a lovely painting. But I don't think the shadows are dark enough if her other side of the face islit that bright, especially underneath the chin area. The chin usually protrudes forward, but the values are still too close to each other. Also, I'm not sure if I'm reading correctly to what's happening to her arms -- I'm guessing they are behind her?

Other than that, I dig the painterly quality of it. It has a lovely feeling.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Nice. I made a few changes to the last piece I posted, so I deleted the post and re-upped it here. Hope nobody minds. Also a new sketch..

female_warriors_final.jpg

dragonian_redux.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Love the "magic-circle" in front of the arrows.

Dibbz

so_awes said:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2179/2099276267_f8e3e68602_o.jpg
Your name fits suprisingly well with what I was thinking :lol

so_awes
(01-31-2009, 07:51 PM)

Extollere said:
Nice. I made a few changes to the last piece I posted, so I deleted the post and re-upped it here. Hope nobody minds. Also a new sketch..

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff146/extollere/female_warriors_final.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff146/extollere/dragonian_redux.jpg
I love the way they're colored but I think you need to work a bit on anatomy. The foreground figure in the 1st one and the archer both look a bit stiff and forced. Otherwise, very cool.

So I started doing comics for the student newspaper at my university and wanted to share the first two Ive done but didnt want to make a thread about it so I figured this thread would be apt.

john02.jpg

john1.jpg

Extollere said:
Nice. I made a few changes to the last piece I posted, so I deleted the post and re-upped it here. Hope nobody minds. Also a new sketch.

Those are nice Extollere, surprised you didn't get more responses. Nice values and dynamic poses.

I'm getting psyched for SF IV so I did this drawing today.

newryu.jpg

pubba

I really love Dreweyes work - fantastic stuff. More please :D

Here's a few toons from my sketchbook. I really need to learn how to use illustrator and then vectorise some of this stuff. That would make me happy.

takeawalk.jpg
cliffcar.jpg
snakesnladders.jpg
DunnyAlien-1.jpg
DragonInCup.jpg
Car3.jpg
astroboy-1.jpg
robobfast.jpg

Mik2121

An sketch for my school project:

peacocksketch1.png

And the current 3D model:

peacocksketch3.png

I'm doing a guy who will be riding it, but I'm using the model of the first human body I made and it's a bit of a mess, but I don't have time to start all over again (gotta finish the whole scene in less than 48 hours..)

Mik2121

Ether_Snake said:
Haha cool!

Mik: Nice skecth and nice model!
Thanks!. I have a few more hours to finish it but I'm on an internship right now so I can't continue it now :'( I will have to rush a bit, ughh..

Great work guys!

pubba: Nice, they look like they belong inside a radiohead album.

Mik2121: Love me some 3D renders, it's nice to see how you go from that drawing to the render.

Dreweyes: Very cool, I can see this on that 8bit art show (forgot the name d'oh!)

SilentProtagonist: That looks cool, post more stuff if you have it.

Arcipello: Awesome, I always like art with high saturation, gives it more of a visual flare that I'm into. Gives me a Rez/Andros from Starfox vibe.

I just found out about the Udon Darkstalkers tribute contest. I hope I can come up with something by the deadline. Anyone else entering? It would be cool to see a Gaffer featured in the book.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Fuck, I never knew this thread was so awesome. I had no idea what the hell this was. I am going to get some pictures of my art somehow and put it on here.

Mik2121

I'd hate to call this art, so I'll guess this goes for the 'farts' part of the thread title:

finalrenderv1.jpg

I know most of the muscles are wrong, the pose has no dynamism, etc.. but I had no time to finish this piece so I had to use the human model I already had around here - the first model I ever made with Zbrush, lol.

Anyway, I'll start the next project soon (It's in about 5 months, but hey!..), I didn't like this theme but hey.. but I didn't have time at all (only 3-4 days), so I will try to do something better this time.

part of a project done for my typography class

The first part of 2X2 Comp project is making tightly attached compositions of three 2" squares in a row and column. Therefore there are nine 2" x 2" squares. These squares are to be individually composed but also to reflect/ react with the compositions/elements of the other attached squares.

2rxinbr.png

i think i did a good job

Arcipello

zoukka said:
I need some feedback for my latest comic.

Translation for the only wordballoon in there: Stop!

Thanks!

honestly i find it very hard to follow, ive no idea as to what is going on and adding more text to explain the events is not the best option at all.

I guess I read too many comic books but I read that pretty easily
it does get a bit murky on which way youre supposed to look at in the 4th and 5th page
I think if you dont have years of experience drawing comics its probably best to keep the panels and progression pretty simple.

I love the striking of the match, but it doesnt go with the rest of the comic since its very clean.

Top Bottom