• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

zoukka

my name is ed said:
I guess I read too many comic books but I read that pretty easily
it does get a bit murky on which way youre supposed to look at in the 4th and 5th page
I think if you dont have years of experience drawing comics its probably best to keep the panels and progression pretty simple.

I love the striking of the match, but it doesnt go with the rest of the comic since its very clean.

Thanks, I forgot to mention that it obviously isn't finished yet. And I'm aware that the biggest "flaw" in this is the weird composition of the images, but I really don't want to make things too simple. Using as few words as possible also brings many problems, but I think it's the right way to practise comics. When you know how to tell a story without words, it's easy to practise wording afterwards.

Oh and that's just a little true story my friend told me. And the opening doesn't have a "match" in it, it's a russian firework thingy :)

zoukka said:
Thanks, I forgot to mention that it obviously isn't finished yet. And I'm aware that the biggest "flaw" in this is the weird composition of the images, but I really don't want to make things too simple. Using as few words as possible also brings many problems, but I think it's the right way to practise comics. When you know how to tell a story without words, it's easy to practise wording afterwards.

Oh and that's just a little true story my friend told me. And the opening doesn't have a "match" in it, it's a russian firework thingy :)
I knew it was something different! I was like thats a big match...

Unfinished cover for a comic I'm working on
WALCover1-5.jpg

The character in the middle needs a bit of work

Another character from the same comic
n544963045_1304000_9741.jpg

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
more DBZ :) This is an OK version of Majin Vegeta. Again, I just copied the image, no tracing or remembering off the dome. Might draw some Street Fighter next.

Majin_Vegeta_by_Tashi0106.jpg

Kawaii

Ehm, I really have nothing to contribute to this thread besides this:

You guys are awesome and so is this thread!

Looking at the drawings and stuff makes me jealous and makes me wish i was as talented as some of you.

.. *leaves* ..

zoukka

Kawaii said:
Ehm, I really have nothing to contribute to this thread besides this:

You guys are awesome and so is this thread!

Looking at the drawings and stuff makes me jealous and makes me wish i was as talented as some of you.

.. *leaves* ..

It's just practise man.

EDIT: Here's my first excercise with my new watercolours. I'm determined to learn how to use them, but currently it's just like colouringbooks for me :lol Will post further studies.

mieli_netti.jpg

And here's a tribute to a master. Done with brush and liquid ink. I'm pretty happy with it, though the composition could be better with the hairs an all.

zappakortti.jpg

never thought i'd be posting an image back to back in this thread due to my history of productivity (or lack thereof), but heres something i just finished now:

Panel3money.jpg

the image is part of a mural i am working on thats for a class assignment. I plan on making 7 more images with each one having their own theme. this one in particular of course focuses on current tough economic times. any sort of criticism or advice is greatly appreciated!

zoukka

Looks pretty awesome. Maybe lose the tint on the zeppelin so it "sticks" more to the composition?

How do you usually work with those paint-splatters? Do you use traditional art and then combine it to digital or produce them with photoshop? I think I might need something like that to a work I'm now doing...

iddqd

very nice sketch Arcipello!

i started this and fell asleep while putting color on it.
ill try again later today
3290931063_ebbc89a48f_o.jpg

Mik2121 said:
My piece of 'art' (lol) from the GAF Art Challenge: The Line.

gaflineconcept.jpg

It's supposed to be a one-line world :p

What brushes did you use for this? What program, actually?

It looks like it's almost hand-painted. Beautiful.

Mik2121

Photoshop, the basic brushes (at around size 20 for the backgrounds and coloring, and size 1 and 3 for the details. I did this at that size, not for printing purpose so the resolution didn't need to be very high).

Mik2121 said:
Photoshop, the basic brushes (at around size 20 for the backgrounds and coloring, and size 1 and 3 for the details. I did this at that size, not for printing purpose so the resolution didn't need to be very high).

Okay, I asked because they're pretty grainy and look like you actually painted in different layers. Awesomely done man!

zoukka said:
Looks pretty awesome. Maybe lose the tint on the zeppelin so it "sticks" more to the composition?

How do you usually work with those paint-splatters? Do you use traditional art and then combine it to digital or produce them with photoshop? I think I might need something like that to a work I'm now doing...
Thanks mate. And as for your question, I just downloaded brushes off the internet for awhile, but as far as the last couple of years, I've been just using my own. I'll go wild with some watercolours or ink and pen, scan them in, then use them as brushes. Making some nice brushes is quite difficult though (and something I'm still struggling with), so I would suggest downloading some if you are new to it.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Mik2121 said:
You can do that with the DS? How!??

With Colors! for the DS. You need an R4 card of the like, and the program is free. ppl have done some amazing things with Colors! too btw.

Xun

I was looking through my old stuff, and I came upon this... :lol

Picture5.jpg

I made it when I was 9, 10 years ago on Illustrator! :lol

I was thinking of doing a then and now, just for laughter.

DrBo42

Pizza Luigi said:
That's great man.

Really well drawn and I cannot find any flaw at all. Superb.
Thank you, that's very kind of you to say. I've never found my sketching too impressive, haha.

Ceres

Banned
I really need to start taking some printmaking classes again. This is a lithograph from 2001 if you can't read the year at the bottom.

24wdh75.jpg

DrBo42

Wow. You guys are awesome :D. It's really hard not to feel like a kindergarten kid compared to some of your talent. :lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Pizza Luigi said:
Okay, I asked because they're pretty grainy and look like you actually painted in different layers. Awesomely done man!

Lots of sharpen filter:)

What the fuck?!

I've got Wesley Willis disease. Instead of using a real tool to draw shit, I've been fucking around with my DS and Colors. Nevermind my Tablet PC or Macbook w/ Intuous 3. Nooooo! I have a $129 game machine with some homebrew software.

Fuck I'm retarded.

Anyhow, put about four hours into this today:

poison.gif

Man, tons of great stuff in this thread! I particularly like your stuff though iddqd - do you have a blog or something where we could see more?

DrBo42

Ex-girlfriend photo. Yeah, she's quite beautiful indeed, way out of my league looks-wise. Emo OT thread incoming! :lol

DrBo42 said:
Ex-girlfriend photo. Yeah, she's quite beautiful indeed, way out of my league looks-wise. Emo OT thread incoming! :lol

Better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all. <= I think that's how the saying goes.

Now cheer up, nobody likes a whiner. ;)

Sorry to pick at your scab.

DrBo42

I didn't mean to come off as whining, my apologies. Been working on a self-portrait for a bit, will upload soon. Let me know what you guys think.

DrBo42

Self-portrait from photo

jpg-1.jpg

Horrible iPhone quality camera. Did all of it with an H pencil, need to go in and do the darks eventually.

zoukka

Not too shabby! Just remember to adjust the head/body ratio because the head is HUUGE!

Here's my work in progress. Inspired from Street Fighter (still waiting my order goddammit), though I've never played any of the games. The visuals from SF are really strong in pop-culture though.

potku.jpg

I'm stuck wondering if to colour this or leave it be. I'm afraid it might turn to shit due to my lack of colouring skills...

And again done with a brush. The finer lines with Pentel Stylo.

DrBo42

zoukka said:
Not too shabby! Just remember to adjust the head/body ratio because the head is HUUGE!

Here's my work in progress. Inspired from Street Fighter (still waiting my order goddammit), though I've never played any of the games. The visuals from SF are really strong in pop-culture though.

I'm stuck wondering if to colour this or leave it be. I'm afraid it might turn to shit due to my lack of colouring skills...

And again done with a brush. The finer lines with Pentel Stylo.
I'd like to tell you the head/body ratio was a mistake, but it's really not. My head IS huge. :lol
As for wondering to color it, I think part of the strength of your stuff is the simplicity. If you color it I think it will lose part of what makes it so cool. If you want to experiment I suggest you just photoshop the picture you took to see what would happen.

Top Bottom