• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
sammy said:
hey thanks! yea, i went overboard with the zappin' i'll have to tone it down.

hearing about the 2010 adaptation has me inspired.
more dune:

thumper_drill.jpg
Holy moly! You wouldn't happen to be willing to produce a 1680x1050 version of that would you?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
orioto said:
Me love !!! Great movement, i'm still staring at it !

Anyway !
I finished this crappy attempt at impossible tonight^^

Wow!! That is sick.

I was trying to draw some DBZ last night. It wasn't coming out right at all. If I do end up getting one that I'm proud of, I'll post it. I was also working on a drawing of my neice. I'll probably work on it some more tonight.

Great work guys, keep it up!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Holy shit sammy, the level of scale and the epicness is something youre really getting good at.

Tinabina

i am nowhere near as amazing as all you guys but i've been wanting to get in on this thread for a while.

this is one i did a long time ago, one of my favorites
flower.jpg

and i did this one last night
kitchen.jpg

some awesome works here! I wish I was half as good as you guys.

I'm not too happy with the proportions of this one, but I like the rendering. :\
felisyeti.jpg

Damn, I wish I had taken a look at this thread before I started xmas vacation. Been trying to draw but shit always takes my attention away.

Now Im going to blow off going to Target to draw some more!

OchreHand

Arcipello: That is :O awesome :O I love the different use of subject matter, scale and color palette. Are you a freelance illustrator, concept artist or ..?

I found something really cool although I'm most likely LTTP. Animoto.com, a slicker slide show presentation. Figured it could be used to show off your artworks.

Here's my try...

okej guys I am working on a painting using acrylics and I need some advice:

I need a paint that is slow running, imagine taking the brush out of the paintbucket and as you pull out the brush the paint creates a long thin stream of paint..

the acrylics I am using now just sticks to the brush and if I add water it wont become like that it just goes from sticking to the brush or dropping.

Maybe acrylics is not the way to go here... but what color should I use to be able to get that "slow flowing" paint ?

I dont want to use the brush on the canvas at this stage of the painting, I just want the paint to slowly follow my brush as I hold it above the canvas.

Hope you guys understand what I am talking about here :)

Tashi

Here's a DBZ drawing I did up last night and today. I like the way it came out even though some things are definitely off. Some proportions and the eyes are off for sure. It is a copy of an image though and not off the top of my dome. No tracing or anything like that.

SS2_Goku_Transforming_by_Tashi0106.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Arcipello said:
incomplete image that i was never happy with...but its almost fitting to not finish an image of an unfinished bridge:)

That's cool, I like it as is. Only thing I would have done different is keep the girl in the dark except for the yellow rimlight.

bounchfx

Tashi0106 said:
Here's a DBZ drawing I did up last night and today. I like the way it came out even though some things are definitely off. Some proportions and the eyes are off for sure. It is a copy of an image though and not off the top of my dome. No tracing or anything like that.

looks like you scanned it in and colored it in photoshop. if you're doing this, put the linework on one layer and adjust the levels (ctrl L) to get the lines a bit darker if you prefer, then set that layer to multiply. make new layers under it and paint on those to avoid the weird white specks between places on your lines

1zz18p5.png

I'm about 75-80% with this one GAF, a couple hours more and I'll probably close it up. Any criticisms and suggestions would be highly appreciated. Even if it's not your style I'd really welcome any guidance with background drawing/painting as it's something I'm still pretty new at. I had never thought about it before but something like a freakin' stone actually takes quite a while to look good.

Thanks.

EDIT: Some detail:

e6xblx.png

2im9j6g.png

Tashi

bounchfx said:
looks like you scanned it in and colored it in photoshop. if you're doing this, put the linework on one layer and adjust the levels (ctrl L) to get the lines a bit darker if you prefer, then set that layer to multiply. make new layers under it and paint on those to avoid the weird white specks between places on your lines

no i didn't scan it. I had the picture up on 1 monitor and Paint.net open in another. I used the pencil tool on one layer and paint brush on another. That's the way I did it. The white specs come from my laziness and also the nature of using the pencil tool.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Some concept ships from my sketchbook, this type of "simpler" stuff helps a bunch for a concept portfolio :)

high_tech_01.jpg

sammy

Ochrehand, i love that environment. looks like it would be fun to jump through :]

Arcipello nice!

Raging Spaniard, nice mechanical roughs. something helpful is to pop in any old commentary of Ridley Scott or James Cameron on their early sci-fi films. those visionaries influenced some damn awesome mechanical concepts that really communicate functionality and they love explaining it all.

looking for crits on the Monster Hunter fan-wallpaper so i can finish it up .... i can't believe how many hours i spent getting my ass handed to me by that damn Tigrex, only to turn around and have to deal with him in the color department .... orange and blue and sunbaked desert ... yea, not fun. but when you pass the 350 hour mark in a game, you just have to celebrate :]

and an ornithopter sketch ... trying to figure out that utilitarian/industrialized arrakis spice refinery colors.

looks_tastey.jpg

ornithopter.jpg

Raging Spaniard

sammy said:
Ochrehand, i love that environment. looks like it would be fun to jump through :]

Arcipello nice!

Raging Spaniard, nice mechanical roughs. something helpful is to pop in any old commentary of Ridley Scott or James Cameron on their early sci-fi films. those visionaries influenced some damn awesome mechanical concepts that really communicate functionality and they love explaining it all.

looking for crits on the Monster Hunter fan-wallpaper so i can finish it up .... i can't believe how many hours i spent getting my ass handed to me by that damn Tigrex, only to turn around and have to deal with him in the color department .... orange and blue and sunbaked desert ... yea, not fun. but when you pass the 350 hour mark in a game, you just have to celebrate :]

looks_tastey.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions! Im actually taking some of those shapes and fleshing them out, so Ill do that :D

Asa far as critique for your piece, its a fantastic one, so take this with a grain of salt:

The hunter on the left needs a better sense of movement like the Tigrex paw has. The pose is great, but he could use some motion blur lines or general Photoshop trickery.

Seems to me some of the Tigrex teeth should be highlighted in order to stay consistent with the ligth source, they look kind of hidden right now, bring some of them out!

For the Hunter on the right, I think something to make it clearer that the meats just got done cooking would be nice, some steam or something to sell that idea more. The other suggestion is not something you can implement now but the scene would read better if the cat was trying to warn the other hunter rather than being as oblivious as everyone else. Maybe you could draw in another one, but keep the first cat as well?

Overall is quite nice and most things are very well rendered, but its a piece that could use more stuff in order to sell the concept(more smoke from the Tigrex attack, more environmental damage near him, things like that) Great job

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Good stuff, this thread has some nice art. I gotta get back to my landing ship illustration but I changed a few things in it this weekend so I'm a bit behind. I wish I was good enough to do 2D-only environments, but I have to make a 3D base otherwise it's all messed up. This slows me down.

sammy

Thanks Raging Spaniard! I edited more goodies back into the uploaded image. more polish and dirt, and cacti. put some of that motion in on the girl added some grays too. got some steam on the meat :D

it's from a good old MHF2nd hunt, Oracrest was cooking when a beast landed in the room and charged him right after he got a gourmet meat :p

Xristot said:
heres a few samus shots from a model I've been working on. I'm still on the fence about rigging and posing her.

samus2.jpg

samus3.jpg

new_samus_1_color.jpg

and heres a few shots from my 20-week film

out_of_phase_1_small.jpg

out_of_phase_2_small.jpg

out_of_phase_3_small.jpg

yeah, it's the same girl in the samus suit.
nice

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Samus needs a bigger chest on her armor, it looks skin tight. But good job nonetheless:)

todahawk

OchreHand said:
Great to see this thread come alive with talent.

i haven't posted in a while but here are five paintings i did recently for a contest, to illustrate an epic poem. i chose 'dante's divine comedy'

jeremy_deveraturda_funlaborcom_dante_1.jpg

jeremy_deveraturda_funlaborcom_dante_2.jpg

goddamit that's some nice shit OchreHand. Reminds me of Joseph Turner...

hannibal.jpg

steamerinasnowstormbyjosephmallordwilliamturner.jpg

dmshaposv

Since I've only done traditional paintings, what kind of graphics tablet (I assume most of you guys use that) would you suggest to get into digital paintings?

I'd love to share my work, but photos/scans won't do my work justice.

OchreHand

sammy: that's a really nice illustration and i really like your sense of color. i agree that the highlights on the dinosaur's teeth should be stronger. i'm not too familiar with the story but i'm wondering if the teeth should appear more menacing by enlarging its teeth. they seem kind of small for a beast that big?

axor0: Hey thanks, I'll try to upload a bigger version

greenjerk: thank you, i love turner (and romantic art in general) so i'm always humbled when i hear that connection. funny enough those two Turner paintings you posted i got to see in person, and they're mind blowing.

dmshaposv: i think most people use the wacom intuos as their tablet, but depending on your budget it can be pricey. i shelled out $300 for the first generation in 1999 and still use it today, scruff marks, stains and all. Wacom has other kinds of tablets like the Bamboo which is for more casual use.

todahawk

OchreHand said:
greenjerk: thank you, i love turner (and romantic art in general) so i'm always humbled when i hear that connection. funny enough those two Turner paintings you posted i got to see in person, and they're mind blowing.

Very cool, i've never seen any of his work in person. I can't imagine what it's like close up. I wrote a paper on Turner during my undergrad work and getting to know more about him personally made me appreciate his work even more.

Another compliment I'll throw at you :)D ) is that I didn't know your work was digital when I looked at it. I work digitally myself (not a painter but in digital collage and code-based art) and I know the digital format can be an issue. Do you have a personal site/portfolio? PM me if you want..

Raging Spaniard

Picked a couple of vehicles I liked from the last piece and developed them some:

high_tech_02_wip1.jpg

Dreweyes those are rad! I have no suggestions for the NES box other than rampage

Great work everyone. Sammy. Raging Spaniard, Extollere, Dreweyes, OchreHand, and everyone else. Hope you guys keep contributing, as it inspires me to keep drawing.

cavedweller_final.jpg

My entry for conceptart creature of the week.

Untitled_Portrait_by_redcancer_.jpg

First piece of 2009, as well as my very first mixed media piece. Started off as a watercolour painting, then scanned and manipulated in the computer. It was really fun making this and I'm excited to be doing more of these :D . Really opens a whole new dimension of possibilities and things to try out.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
hookedonritalin said:
Untitled_Portrait_by_redcancer_.jpg

First piece of 2009, as well as my very first mixed media piece. Started off as a watercolour painting, then scanned and manipulated in the computer. It was really fun making this and I'm excited to be doing more of these :D . Really opens a whole new dimension of possibilities and things to try out.
I LOOOOVE IT.

Raging Spaniard

Cool stuff guys, I took a break from making icons for SF IV and colored this up (found some watercolor brushes that I wanted to try out!)

high_tech_02.jpg

Raging Spaniard said:
Cool stuff guys, I took a break from making icons for SF IV and colored this up (found some watercolor brushes that I wanted to try out!)

high_tech_02.jpg

Those brushes looks sick!

Do you have a link?

Dreweyes

KR3W said:
Sorry if this was already asked, but what are some good instructional books for beginners?

I never really used an instructional book, but what I did do that helped me alot was draw people in class and objects i saw that I thought would be interesting drawings and illustrated them with a ballpoint pen. Using a pen teaches you to better hand-eye coordination and less reliability on an eraser. Make the outside lines of any drawings you do smooth and clean, and have lots of contrast, lights and darks to give it dimension! Doodling something, then doodling something random into it, and so on and so forth is a fun drawing technique also.

Hope that helps some! :D

oatmeal

Banned
Wow, some of the talent in here is absolutely outstanding!!!

I have a nice Wacom now and have dabbled in drawing a little bit. I did a Disney-inspired animation for my wedding, but that's about it.

I haven't used Photoshop enough to really make something nice (Not saying that I can), but there are watercolor brushes that some of you are using to make some of the art here? I need to get those ASAP, as that's such a wonderful look.

This is my favorite one, but I took an existing cave image and messed around with it, rearranged it, and whatnot to get this look. Didn't create it from scratch.

cavefaceoff.jpg

This one is from scratch...no BG on it, though. (EDIT: I realize this is an older version, I just don't have a newer one on my server)

kissing.jpg

Top Bottom