• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a non-American: How do you view the outcome of WW2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is incorrect, this happened mainly because the Soviet army was an undisciplined mess and what do you think happen when officers of an army do not try to stop undisciplined men from reprehensible actions? Exactly.

It wasn't just a "revenge pillage and rape" it was just soldiers doing what they wanted because they knew they can.

And that undiscipline was probably caused by officers that didn't care what happened to german civilians because they fricking hated germans for what they had done. At least partially. I mean pretty much every soviet soldier probably knew someone that was killed/raped by germans considering the insane soviet death toll. .

ZOONAMI

I view the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki as horrible acts that were necessary to instruct the world on the absolute devastation ans horrors inflicted by nuclear weapons.

If not for the bombings, things may have gone down much differently during the cold war.

The bombings taught us that we should never, ever resort to nuclear weapons in the future.

Nah, not really, dudes on both sides during Cold War were ready to wipe everything out just because why not. Thankfully cooler heads prevailed but it easily could have gone the other way.

The reasons for the start of the war is different from when the war was going on. This is why Canada's view differs from the US. When Britain asked for troops, Canada was there. Canadians signed up from across the country and we provided troops and resources as best we could. We were using fishing boats and everything that floated to start the supply lines and send people.

While Canada got fully involved, Americans did nothing. When the call for help came, one showed up, the other didn't.

This is pretty ignorant. The US was involved far before Pearl Harbor. We started Lend-Lease and were essentially the engine of the Western Allies. From 1941 about 50 billion (then) on, food, oil, warplanes, ships, munitions equipment etc etc for essentially free. In the meantime Roosevelt began to swell the US ranks and go from an army in disrepair from the Depression to a modern power. Industry was being turned to a wartime economy. Had they got involved previously to that the effect would've been pretty insignificant.

As far as the belief the war was won on Eastern front vs Hitler it is far more nuanced than that. Western allies crippled the industry and supply of the Nazi war machine. They struck oil reserves, factories and pushed Italy out of the fight and stopped the oil flow to Hitler. The Soviets paid the human cost for sure but each side needed the other to achieve victory.

daviyoung

Banned
America did well with WW2, but with that whole Cold War thing that followed. Whew lad, it's like they never recovered from that.

4Tran

Nor the Eastern front. The Soviet defense in the face of Germany's invading forces were kept alive on the backs of American war materiel.
In general, it was the Soviet offensives that were fueled by American war materiel. Most of the desperate defense happened in 1941 and 1942 before any quantity of American supplies reached the Soviet frontlines.

As far as the belief the war was won on Eastern front vs Hitler it is far more nuanced than that. Western allies crippled the industry and supply of the Nazi war machine. They struck oil reserves, factories and pushed Italy out of the fight and stopped the oil flow to Hitler. The Soviets paid the human cost for sure but each side needed the other to achieve victory.
The German Army still had to be destroyed, and that happened on the battlefields in the East.

mdubs

Banned
Isn't that expected when Canada is essentially part of the crown and the us revolted against the crown only 150 years earlier?

US getting involved at all honesty was somewhat unexpected, WWI and WWII.
WWII was actually the first time that Canada had declared war on a county due to the Statute of Westminster being passed in 1931. So technically we had a choice, but the politicians would never consider turning their back on England. Just a fun fact.

As a German I feel incredibly grateful for the US involvement during and especially after the war. I guess the US contribution post war has been tremendously more meaningful than their war efforts which is not saying the latter haven't been significant or less significant than others.
The Federal Republic surely wouldn't be what it is today without the US.

German here, and I feel the same.

I am convinced though that the atomic bombs on Japan were absolutely not justified.

mdubs

Banned
There were alternatives to the nuclear bombs. These are as follows:

1. Starve out Japan and wait for them to surrender. It probably would have worked, but starvation would have lead to millions of deaths by 1946.

2. Enact Operation Downfall. The US was planning to do that anyways and their plan was to drop nuclear bombs alongside the invasion. It would have probably lead to millions of Japanese and hundreds of thousands of American casualties though.

3. Wait until the Soviet Union invades Japanese territories. The problem with this is twofold. The first is that there's no way for the Allies to know what kind of effect this would have in bringing in the Japanese to accepting surrender. The second is that the Western Allies didn't think that the Soviet Union would be able to invade until 1946, and that would be after Operation Downfall anyways.

So yes, I think that Truman did have alternatives to dropping the nuclear bombs, but these alternatives aren't particularly palatable, and the one that was, was only viable through hindsight. Sure, Stalin had promised to enter the war against Japan within 3 months of the surrender of Germany, but nobody expected that he would follow through with such sincerity.
This seems about right to me. I can't see an argument that starving the Japanese or invading them to a much, much greater loss of life for both sides is somehow a less reprehensible option than the bombs.

ZOONAMI

The Chinese love that the US used the a bomb on Japan. Museums in shanghai have photos of mushroom clouds with captions of "the glorious bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki."

Japanese were awful to the Chinese in WWII so it makes some sense.

TarNaru33

Banned
And that undiscipline was probably caused by officers that didn't care what happened to german civilians because they fricking hated germans for what they had done. At least partially. I mean pretty much every soviet soldier probably knew someone that was killed/raped by germans considering the insane soviet death toll. .

More Soviets died as a result of the Soviets than Germans...

I think the pillage has more to do with the fact that the Soviets never had officers who cared about humane treatment of civilians/enemy etc. in the first place especially after all the purges of more seasoned officers.

So no, there is no "understandable" reason here, it was again as I said, soldiers being terrible soldiers because they could be.

The German Army still had to be destroyed, and that happened on the battlefields in the East.

Large part of that was they became ill-equipped and couldn't innovate to match Russian equipment because of a lack of industry. Not downplaying the Soviet sacrifice, but both sides needed each other to defeat the Nazis.

Wondering what would have happened if the US had gone to war with USSR like some of the generals wanted. Question is if the US would be able to take them on. How was the US going to get into the heart of Russia? They'd die in the cold like the germans.

Is it possible that you'd have saved more lives, than who would die later under Stalin + all the millions who died in the crossfire of the cold war destabilization between communism vs democracies?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Unthinkable

Just for your interest. Churchill thought about rearming captured German soldiers and continue a war against the Soviet Union.

American

- The allies won, no singular country won. Trying to make it about that seems really weird unless you just have resentment for a particular country.
-The Russians survived thanks to the US
-Japan should never have bombed pearl harbor. I really don't understand why Japan refused to surrender after the first bombing. (Or didn't surrrender before the first bomb!) Shame a second one had to be dropped.

Joezie

Nazy Germany could have saved itself if it didn't invade USSR and use the time to develop the nuclear bomb.

Germany had neither the Manpower, Industry, nor access to raw materials necessary to save itself from a US intervention(nevermind the British Naval Superiority further chocking their sea lanes and material access). It doesn't survive Barbarossa or not.

If they didn't surrender, they'd simply get Nuked as it was to happen had they not surrendered in our timeline. Their politicization of science, purging of Jewish STEM leaders and rejection of Jewish physics for a time combined with a lack of focus, Bureaucratically infighting and the additional factors mentioned previously ensured that the odds of a German bomb getting here before the Allied counterpart was quite low.

TarNaru33

Banned
American

- The allies won, no singular country won. Trying to make it about that seems really weird unless you just have resentment for a particular country.
-Japan should never have bombed pearl harbor. I really don't understand why Japan refused to surrender after the first bombing. (Or didn't surrrender before the first bomb!) Shame a second one had to be dropped.

U.S would of eventually even without Pearl Harbor intervened in the Pacific. Imperial Japan was more of a threat than the Germans to U.S since they actually had a fully functioning navy capable of hitting U.S. It was a terrible gamble nonetheless, but it was probably better than ignoring U.S as if it was never going to intervene.

The reason Japan didn't surrender and didn't even want to surrender after the 2nd bombing, was because of the culture they had. Losing a war/battle is so dishonorable, they rather die. There was also large amounts of propaganda done against U.S forces, so many of them believed U.S forces were going to do things to them worse than death.

Bumhead

Banned
Shame a second one had to be dropped.

This poses the interesting question of what the long term contingency was. What would have happened if Japan hadn't surrendered after the second bomb?

Would they just have kept coming? I'm guessing a third dropped on Tokyo would have been it.

World War 2 is endlessley fascinating even in terms of what didn't happen as much as what did.

4Tran

Large part of that was they became ill-equipped and couldn't innovate to match Russian equipment because of a lack of industry. Not downplaying the Soviet sacrifice, but both sides needed each other to defeat the Nazis.
The German Army wasn't in such dire straits until 1945 - the peak of German production was in 1944. I'd say that the Western Allies did a lot of the work in taking Germany down, but it's still pretty clear that the Red Army did most of the heavy lifting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Unthinkable

Just for your interest. Churchill thought about rearming captured German soldiers and continue a war against the Soviet Union.
The name of the operation is a hint as to how bad the idea seemed even at the time. In hindsight, matters were even worse than the planners thought because the Red Army was much stronger than they expected, and because Soviet doctrine was miles ahead of the Allies (and the Germans) by that point.

This poses the interesting question of what the long term contingency was. What would have happened if Japan hadn't surrendered after the second bomb?

Would they just have kept coming? I'm guessing a third dropped on Tokyo would have been it.

World War 2 is endlessley fascinating even in terms of what didn't happen as much as what did.
The plan was to proceed with Downfall.

reckless

Because they sat it out while war broke out on 3 continents. The Brits and French could and should have done more in the 30s, but it was still neighbouring skirmishes at that time. Who could predict where things would turn? But sitting back at watching the world chew itself up? No excuses.

The reasons for the start of the war is different from when the war was going on. This is why Canada's view differs from the US. When Britain asked for troops, Canada was there. Canadians signed up from across the country and we provided troops and resources as best we could. We were using fishing boats and everything that floated to start the supply lines and send people.

While Canadians got fully involved, Americans did nothing. When the call for help came, one showed up, the other didn't.

US total armed forces Army/Airforce and Navy in
1939: 334,000

1940: 459,000

1941: 1,800,000

1942: 3,900,000

1943: 9,200,000

We were busy getting ready for a war in 1939 and 1940 joining in 1939 or 1940 isn't useful and in the meantime we were also bankrolling/supplying the Allies, especially the UK.

Without US support before we officially entered the war, the UK starves.

American

Pearly Harbor is a facinating topic. Yamamoto didn't want to attack because he didn't want to wake the dragon in the US but he went along with it because he had to. Japan was stuck in the Mahanian view on sea warfare where big ships battled it out for supremacy in the seas rather than carriers which is why they focused on battleship row. Japan had the most advanced carrier attack force on earth but that wasn't what the navy wanted. They loved their big ships and thought that taking out the us battleships would give them the pacific. If carriers were at Pearl, they would be collateral damage not the target.

Luckily in December 7th, the us carriers in the pacifIc were either training or moving aircraft thus none were there during the attack. In addition, the fuel systems in pearl were completely ignored. Thus, besides the loss of life all Pearl did was sink a bunch of ships that could be raised in time as the harbor was shallow. I believe only the Arizona wasn't raised. The fuel systems were a much more attractive target and would have had a muc more lasting impact.

In addition, the loss of its entire battleship fleet showed the US that the day of the big ship was over and they switched entirely to air power to control the sea. It was more by necessity than anything. It took Japan years to realize that and by the time they did they didn't have the resources to utilize it.

Pearl got the entire US on board with WW2 and switched US naval doctrine from big ships to air power overnight.

Parch

This is pretty ignorant. The US was involved far before Pearl Harbor. We started Lend-Lease and were essentially the engine of the Western Allies. From 1941 about 50 billion (then) on, food, oil, warplanes, ships, munitions equipment etc etc for essentially free.
Everybody knows about the American financial support and eventual troop involvement, but early on when the request for boots on the ground came from Europe, Canadians went, Americans didn't. Canadians didn't have a fully trained army either, but they went anyway. A lot of training happened on British soil to get involved asap.

At the time, when Canada was sending men and the United States didn't, this was a significant difference to Canadians.

Vibranium

Banned
I believe that the case for the first atomic bomb is justified in a horrible way, but there should have never been a second one dropped. In the end, things could have ended up much worse in Japan though.

The British sent the Canadians to die in Hong Kong. Seriously, fuck the Brits for that.

Yeah, the people for this country already gave so much for the British Empire during World War I, and the way our guys got treated in Hong Kong was even worse. Some really good books here in Canada about the Battle of HK.

4Tran

Pearly Harbor is a facinating topic. Yamamoto didn't want to attack because he didn't want to wake the dragon in the US but he went along with it because he had to.
That's only partially true. Yamamoto didn't want to fight against the US because he didn't think that he could win in the long run. However, when the plan for Strike South was accepted, there were two proposals: the first was to attack Pearl Harbor and the Philippines before striking at targets in the West Pacific, and the second was to bypass the American possessions and hope that they would stay neutral. Yamamoto forced the High Command's hand by threatening to resign unless the first option was agreed upon.

Funny - last time I checked Poland and other "liberated" countries weren't full of German civilians. If you think soviet army raped only Germans you need to change your history books.

Everybody knows about the American financial support and eventual troop involvement, but early on when the request for boots on the ground came from Europe, Canadians went, Americans didn't. Canadians didn't have a fully trained army either, but they went anyway. A lot of training happened on British soil to get involved asap.

At the time, when Canada was sending men and the United States didn't, this was a significant difference to Canadians.

So now we're splitting hairs here?

legend166

I can see why the Soviet Union might want all of Germany, but why would they go any farther? There's nothing in Stalin's history to indicate that he's interested in things like that. Look at Manchuria and North Korea - he could have swallowed both of those up had he really wanted to, but he was ever a pragmatist who didn't want to overreach.

Okay, let's grant the fact that Stalin doesn't continue and conquer Europe (although I'm still not convinced. Assuming no British or American armies, the Red Army would have been the only fighting force on the entire continent after the defeat of the Wehrmacht). At the very least he sets up either direct puppet states or uses influence to have Soviet sympathetic communist parties put into power throughout Europe.

I mean, when your examples of what could have happened in Europe are China and North Korea doesn't that tell you all you need to know?

avaya

The allies likely would not have won the war without the US providing resources and support.

The use of the bomb was contentious and Richard Rhodes' book on the subject should be mandatory reading for any student of history.

Once weapons of this magnitude had been constructed they would be used. As has been the case in all of human history. Some scientists who had conceived it (Szilard) wanted a demonstration somewhere in the desert for the Japanese, they did not want to follow through. Some like Nils Bohr tried to explain to the politicians that science was about to hand over to them a weapon that was capable of destroying their entire political system. Churchill and Roosevelt and Truman found Bohr naive.

In reality the politicians who still largely failed to grasp the power and devastation the bomb could unleash were adamant they get their money's worth (Secy State Byrnes). Others like Stimson who was fully aware of the devastation made a calculation in human lives. The US also could not afford Stalin invading northern Japan. There was no grand conspiracy and it was not a war crime. The decision involved many complicated factors. One fact that renders the fascination over the bomb moot is the fact that many more died in the fire bombing of Japanese cities than those that died at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Nevertheless what the bomb did show the Japanese was that total destruction was inevitable and crucially this was at low cost to the Allies in lives lost. This accelerated their total surrender. This is not arguable, rationally. All other timelines are predicated on a longer more drawn out surrender whose terms and timing and certainty were questionable at best.

iamblades

Pearly Harbor is a facinating topic. Yamamoto didn't want to attack because he didn't want to wake the dragon in the US but he went along with it because he had to. Japan was stuck in the Mahanian view on sea warfare where big ships battled it out for supremacy in the seas rather than carriers which is why they focused on battleship row. Japan had the most advanced carrier attack force on earth but that wasn't what the navy wanted. They loved their big ships and thought that taking out the us battleships would give them the pacific. If carriers were at Pearl, they would be collateral damage not the target.

Luckily in December 7th, the us carriers in the pacifIc were either training or moving aircraft thus none were there during the attack. In addition, the fuel systems in pearl were completely ignored. Thus, besides the loss of life all Pearl did was sink a bunch of ships that could be raised in time as the harbor was shallow. I believe only the Arizona wasn't raised. The fuel systems were a much more attractive target and would have had a muc more lasting impact.

In addition, the loss of its entire battleship fleet showed the US that the day of the big ship was over and they switched entirely to air power to control the sea. It was more by necessity than anything. It took Japan years to realize that and by the time they did they didn't have the resources to utilize it.

Pearl got the entire US on board with WW2 and switched US naval doctrine from big ships to air power overnight.

Ultimately it wouldn't have mattered to the ultimate outcome of the war if the entire US Navy was destroyed at Pearl, they had no chance of competing with the shipbuilding capacity of the US over the long term. At the peak, the US was producing 2 aircraft carriers per MONTH, not even counting the escort carriers. The US built more large ships that the entire rest of the world combined, and then some.

The fact that the carrier fleet was spared just meant the whole thing was even more pointless.

4Tran

Okay, let's grant the fact that Stalin doesn't continue and conquer Europe (although I'm still not convinced. Assuming no British or American armies, the Red Army would have been the only fighting force on the entire continent after the defeat of the Wehrmacht). At the very least he sets up either direct puppet states or uses influence to have Soviet sympathetic communist parties put into power throughout Europe.
Sure he would have if there was literally no opposition. But Stalin was a pragmatist and he would have worked with non-Communist powers as well. Again, look to Finland - Stalin was satisfied with the gains from the Winter War and pushed no farther.

I mean, when your examples of what could have happened in Europe are China and North Korea doesn't that tell you all you need to know?
In Manchuria, the precondition for the Red Army's invasion was to be permanent rights to the railway leading to the the port of Dalian, and to Dalian itself. Stalin ended up giving them up to Mao effectively for free. However much he may have been ruthless and paranoid, Stalin had a specific idea on how far he should push internationally and he stuck to them - the deal over Greece being a good case in point.

TarNaru33

Banned

You are kind of playing semantics here.

Sorry, but Canada was not similar to U.S in feeling like it needed to help the commonwealth. U.S was already wary of the propaganda Britain used to get U.S into WW1 and by large saw that conflict as not it's own. Trying to use this as a "U.S just wanted to profit off the war" even while Roosevelt was doing everything he can to put U.S into it is kind of silly.

Whether its boots or a significant amount of resources, a contribution is a contribution and just like WW1, U.S was not a war only in name. This also ignores the fact that U.S was not yet mobilized for war.

As a non-US citizen, since you asked specifically about the bomb, I consider it one of histories atrocities and something your country will carry the shame for well beyond my lifespan, and that's not even taking into account your country retaliated against citizens after a military base was attacked. Tbh it's something I tend to not discuss because people get very heated about it.

Markoman

The allies likely would not have won the war without the US providing resources and support.

The use of the bomb was contentious and Richard Rhodes' book on the subject should be mandatory reading for any student of history.

Once weapons of this magnitude had been constructed they would be used. As has been the case in all of human history. Some scientists who had conceived it (Szilard) wanted a demonstration somewhere in the desert for the Japanese, they did not want to follow through. Some like Nils Bohr tried to explain to the politicians that science was about to hand over to them a weapon that was capable of destroying their entire political system. Churchill and Roosevelt and Truman found Bohr naive.

In reality the politicians who still largely failed to grasp the power and devastation the bomb could unleash were adamant they get their money's worth (Secy State Byrnes). Others like Stimson who was fully aware of the devastation made a calculation in human lives. The US also could not afford Stalin invading northern Japan. There was no grand conspiracy and it was not a war crime. The decision involved many complicated factors. One fact that renders the fascination over the bomb moot is the fact that many more died in the fire bombing of Japanese cities than those that died at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Nevertheless what the bomb did show the Japanese was that total destruction was inevitable and crucially this was at low cost to the Allies in lives lost. This accelerated their total surrender. This is not arguable, rationally. All other timelines are predicated on a longer more drawn out surrender whose terms and timing and certainty were questionable at best.

Good post, falls in line with my believe that the dropping of an atomic-bomb was inevitable. Wasn't it a former Manhattan project scientist who provided the Russians with research material? I did a term paper years ago but don't remember the scource.

Measley

Really interesting to hear other perspectives about WW2.

Here in the states, it's used as an example of how awesome the U.S. is, nearly to the point of propaganda for our military.

That's only partially true. Yamamoto didn't want to fight against the US because he didn't think that he could win in the long run. However, when the plan for Strike South was accepted, there were two proposals: the first was to attack Pearl Harbor and the Philippines before striking at targets in the West Pacific, and the second was to bypass the American possessions and hope that they would stay neutral. Yamamoto forced the High Command's hand by threatening to resign unless the first option was agreed upon.

I was simplifying it by saying he didn't want to do it. He pulled the resignation card multiple times.

When he lost the battle to not go to war with the US, he went all in on Pearl because there really wasn't an option. He rolled and lost.

Ultimately it wouldn't have mattered to the ultimate outcome of the war if the entire US Navy was destroyed at Pearl, they had no chance of competing with the shipbuilding capacity of the US over the long term. At the peak, the US was producing 2 aircraft carriers per MONTH, not even counting the escort carriers. The US built more large ships that the entire rest of the world combined, and then some.

The fact that the carrier fleet was spared just meant the whole thing was even more pointless.

Japan could never have competed long term with the US on ship building capacity, but a strike at Pearl without hitting the carriers or invading or hitting the fuel was essentially a pointless exercise. Japan's shipping contstraints meant that they would have struggled to invade Pearl and hold it but knocking out the fuel storage at Pearl would have enabled Japan to consolidate its gains in the Pacific. Without a refueling station at Pearl, I'm not sure how the US could have held SoPac and kept Australia in the war. The Phillpeans could have been handled at will as the US essentially surrendered it and knew they couldn't mount a rescue mission.

Destruction of the fuel storage at Pearl would have set the US offensive in the pacific back years as they would have needed to figure out how to develop the fleet in being doctrine to attempt to rebuild the base and serve as a launching pad.

Japan would never have burned out its entire air Corp into the Guadalcanal sinkhole and actually may have held out long enough for the US to quit (which was their hope anyway)

Nabbis

Im just glad Nazi Germany did not win. Even for their own times they drank a little too much of that ideological koolaid.

As a non-US citizen, since you asked specifically about the bomb, I consider it one of histories atrocities and something your country will carry the shame for well beyond my lifespan, and that's not even taking into account your country retaliated against citizens after a military base was attacked. Tbh it's something I tend to not discuss because people get very heated about it.

Dropping the atomic bombs wasn't retaliation for Pearl Harbour. Like there were four years of other things that happened between those two events.

legend166

Is this a reference to Pearl Harbour?

Don't kid yourself. Imperial Japan would have attacked American civilians if they had the capability. They certainly had no qualms about it in China.

Your position is hopelessly naïve and unduly sympathetic towards Imperial Japan, who were the aggressors in a total war.

The blame for the majority of Japanese civilian deaths lies at the feet of the Imperial Japanese government well before you start blaming the US.

Dropping the atomic bombs wasn't retaliation for Pearl Harbour. Like there were four years of other things that happened between those two events.

The person is probably refering to the Doolittle Raid, where American B-25s launched at extreme range from the U.S.S Hornet to attack Tokyo and other cities. Japanese losses, mostly civilian, were 50 dead and 400 injured. This took place shortly after Pearl Harbor.

It shook the Japanese leadership pretty hard. After Pearl Harbor they assumed America couldn't retaliate. They were wrong.

As far as civilian deaths go, they weren't deliberately targeted. Bombing was horribly inaccurate that early in the war.

Keep in mind it also convinced Japan to hit Midway as soon as possible. It likely altered the course of world history, and was a technical marvel at the time considering the bombers were not meant to be launched from a carrier.

mdubs

Banned

I have never seen posters who claim the bomb was unnecessary actually reason through what the alternatives would have been aside from the pie in the sky "but they would have surrendered!" without any hard facts to back it up.

mantidor

The outcome? Sadly, Japan didn't want to surrender so the US had to find a way for force the Japanese Government to give up.

Panama played an important role in WW2 for the Allied Forces. Thanks to the Panama Canal, the Allies managed to transport ships between the two oceans. I know that the Axis wanted to destroy it, so the US had to keep tight defences around here.

Colombian here, this is rather interesting, Colombians see the US involvement in the separation of Panama as appalling and generally see it as wrong, basically the US as a bully stealing our land. The atomic bombs are seen as just evil, and the first time I ever heard some sort of justification was from americans, people mostly despise the Colombian government when they kneel to the US. Only exception was US help in defeating guerrillas, which is controversial but not unanimously hated as the other interventions.

Edit: as for the outcome of WWII in general, we are glad Nazis were defeated of course, who likes Nazis, but we are not exactly thrilled about the US winning, and our alliance, likely the strongest in the region, came out of necessity and the incompetence of our leaders that basically gave the country away, or at least that's the impression you get from history classes.

The person is probably refering to the Doolittle Raid

Lol if true. It was aimed at industrial targets and was quite small scale. Even Pearl Harbor had civilians stationed there, and by all accounts more civilians died in PH than did in the Doolittle raid. For scale, by 1941/42 the Japanese had killed tens of thousands in terror bombing raids in China, to say nothing of millions of civilians killed the regular way.

We clearly didn't kill enough nazis.

The US was late in the war, sold weapons and machinery and equipment to both sides, was rear guard for the Free French into Paris, steadfastly refused to work with black people, and would have left Europe to its demise if it weren't for Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor necessitating a response.

Of course, I distinctly remember the US being touted as heroes, the primary heroes, of WW2, throughout my history classes. Very little about the Free French, emphasis on the cowardice of the Luftwaffe, always described as a Nazi thing, not a German regular air force, the Wehrmacht was never mentioned, the Maginot Line was mentioned as a stupid idea despite its twin to the south keeping Italy in its place.

Nothing but misinformation meant to increase jingoist tendencies.

America was a mistake.

Lol if true. It was aimed at industrial targets and was quite small scale. Even Pearl Harbor had civilians stationed there, and by all accounts more civilians died in PH than did in the Doolittle raid. For scale, by 1941/42 the Japanese had killed tens of thousands in terror bombing raids in China, to say nothing of millions of civilians killed the regular way.

Agreed, the false equivalency and "oh no both sides were equally horrible" argument is something revisionist historians and edgelords bring up without actually understanding the nature of all the parties involved.

The only two countries you can make this argument for are: Germany and the Soviet Union. Both were led by maniacal dictators who thought nothing of the lives of their own people, to say nothing of their enemies. The Soviets just had the good fortune (if one can call it that) to be forced into fighting on the side of the Allies. The Germans and the Japanese carried out wholesale slaughter of tens of millions of people - the Germans because of the Nazi party line and the Japanese because they just didn't give a shit. They saw their enemies as subhuman and treated them accordingly.

But hey, gotta find that false equivalency and all that.

MC Safety

Why make that assumption? The door was open in other places and Stalin didn't take advantage there, so why would he want overreach all the beyond Germany?

Stalin was fighting an ideological war, first against the fascists and then against the capitalists. He was not acting rationally, and had the means to take what he wanted.

You are assured about Stalin. But, no offense, you are decades removed from the situation.

The English, the French, the Germans, and the Americans were very much not sure about Stalin. The American presence assured at least a partially free (rebuilt) Germany and that Western Europe was off limits to the Soviets.

The door was not open for Stalin elsewhere. You repeating it over and over does not make it true.

MikeMyers

Brit living in the US and I view the Allied victory as a team effort.

That said, I've always thought it strange that I was taught about Hitler & Mussolini in schools, but nothing is said about Hirohito. I would love to hear about the war is taught in East Asian countries.

Stalin was fighting an ideological war, first against the fascists and then against the capitalists. He was not acting rationally, and had the means to take what he wanted.

You are assured about Stalin. But, no offense, you are decades removed from the situation.

The English, the French, the Germans, and the Americans were very much not sure about Stalin. The American presence assured at least a partially free (rebuilt) Germany and that Western Europe was off limits to the Soviets.

The door was not open for Stalin elsewhere. You repeating it over and over does not make it true.

I wouldn't say Stalin was fighting an ideological war. He was an extremely pragmatic and opportunistic leader and his primary concern was the accumulation of power, then securing power once he had accumulated it. He was only interested in spreading communism insofar as it gave him control over other countries. When Tito's Yugoslavia began acting independently and pursuing a foreign policy not aligned with Stalin's, he wasted no time in labeling Tito and Yugoslavia as heretics, fascists, secret capitalists or whatever other slur came to mind. Yugoslavia was interested in supporting Greek communists and wanted to merge with Greece and Bulgraia to form a larger Southern European Communist state. The idea of a powerful independent communist state was abhorent, and Stalin much preferred to keep to his previous agreement with the British regarding spheres of interest in Europe. Greece was British territory as far as he was concerned.

I do think Stalin would have happily spread the revolution to France, the low countries, Italy and so on if circumstances had been different. If there was no allied landing, there was also no reason for him to stop at Germany when he could "liberate" the rest of Europe and establish the whole group of states as communist satellites of Moscow. But this was not out of ideological concern, rather it was simple power politics.

RevenWolf

The Chinese love that the US used the a bomb on Japan. Museums in shanghai have photos of mushroom clouds with captions of "the glorious bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki."

Japanese were awful to the Chinese in WWII so it makes some sense.

To be fair "awful" is a pretty massive understatement.

I had to study the rape of Nanking in the context of war crimes, and that name is not an exaggeration.

Still have the pictures burned in my memory...

Back on topic: I'm Italian,

I think that dropping the bomb was terrible but probably necessary. It's not an action that should be considered "good" in Amy sense but it was likely the action that had the most certain outcome.

I also feel that giving total credit to one party is simply not possible in WWII, while I agree that Russia did a lot of the work, Britain still managed to hold Germany back despite some pretty poor odds even taking the blitzkrieg out of the equation.

One thing that bothers me is how more and more people are denying the atrocities that occurred during the war. It's honestly something that should never be forgotten or denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom