• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a Wii U owner I feel betrayed by Nintendo. Am I the only one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't feel 'betrayed'; New tech coming out, less releases for the current device, few releases in general over the lifetime (apart from 1st party) – Sometimes it's better, sometimes it's worse. That's the sort of risk we always take when buying into any kind of gaming or software ecosystem. I think Nintendo even went ahead and supported the WiiUs late life better than Gamecube or Wii late life, even if that's only "release a game every 2-3 months since we're actually busy building the lineup for the successor console".

That said, while I enjoyed the few games which came out this year on the WiiU, I would have loved if Nintendo had worked a bit more with external developers to build up the christmas lineup with at least some Gamecube or Wii HD remasters. I can fully understand not having new exclusive games anymore, but having something like Paper Mario 2, Luigi's Mansion, F-Zero or Mario Sunshine available in HD would have been nice... Still, I have some missing games to catch up on eventually (Pikmin 3, Lego City Undercover), Virtual Console titles (where's Mother 3 English :p) and some older WiiU games I'd love to replay so it's not the end of the world either way.

I am actually more concerned that most big Nintendo-published titles for the Switch in the first 1-2 years will be ultimate versions of games I've already played on WiiU. Though fair enough, people who will jump in with Switch are in for a treat with those and I might doubledip on at least Mario Kart and Splatoon as well if the new content is good.

I don't feel betrayed at all. Natural progression. If Nintendo can't continue making money off the Wii U, it needs to move on. A stronger Nintendo with a more successful console means more game output, larger budgets for the IP we like, all the good stuff. You can't get that if you're chained to the Wii U. I had a great time with mine, had it since launch. Same with my 3DS. But it's time to move forward with a tech that can grow with the years.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If it's support you're looking for then I suggest looking outside of Nintendo. If you're interested in Switch, take a wait and see approach before jumping in. Make certain it has a decent number of titles that interest you before jumping in, because there's no guarantee things will be any different this time around.

Nags

Banned
According to this Reddit post, as of March 2016 there were 141 US retail games.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/3zi0zw/complete_north_american_wii_u_retail_game_list/

So you are right. Still though, that's less than half of what the N64 had (and that was considered a console with a small library compared to even the Saturn's nearly 600 games). And i don''t think there's enough life on the console to come close to even that.

That's actually really pathetic. How many games are actually worth owning on Wii U?

Its nearly lasted a normal console generation span ~5 years. And they atleast supported it til the very end unlike the Wii which pretty much got nada its last couple years(aside from Zelda). I've gotten more time out of my WiiU these past 4 years than i did from my PS3 and Wii the entirety of last gen(I bought both at launch). Switch is coming at the right time.

Betrayed is silly. This isn't some big happy family. This is an entertainment company looking for profit. They might have a certain level of approachability with their fans, but at the end of the day, they want your wallet. Can there be a level of reliability which becomes strained by the Wii U though? Sure.

I don't feel betrayed by the Wii U, it just feels like a rickety wooden bridge over a cliff-face. It was never going to last, and from Day 1 the cracks were clear.

Had some mighty big fun swinging on that rickety bridge though. Some of the best games Nintendo has produced, which never really relies on hardware. I'm a bit trepidatious about picking up the Switch, but it also doesnt look completely aesthetically unpleasing like the Wii U gamepad.

The Wii U gamepad is the most hideous controller Nintendo has ever released. The ergonomics and build quality are just... Ick.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, not really. I feel like Nintendo tried to do what they could with first party support for this thing. They also secured a couple of really good third party exclusives, notably Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101. Major third party support didn't happen, but I feel like it you didn't have to be Einstein to figure out that that was going to be the case from early on (weird custom system architecture, being a Nintendo platform, early sales not at all promising).

I would understand being disappointed about third party support and the system in general. Especially if you were one of the people buying it early on. But that, to me, would be more about being disappointed by the console in general, not so much feeling betrayed about Nintendo cutting support for a dead system after four years.

It just wouldn't float, and it's about high time to move on.

Celine

Yes, but Vita has good support by third parties in the following years (also thanks to sony). Wii U hasn't.
History will be less kind on Vita compared to WiiU because Vita third-party support is mostly niche games or games easily available on other platforms while some WiiU first-party releases are among the finest games of the generation.

Opa-Pa

The Wii U was embarrassing, so I kinda feel you OP, but I gotta admit I knew what I was signing up for when I bought mine. Still, I didn't expect it to be THAT bad, it's pretty much the Nintendo console I've owned least games for.

If anything I'd have liked if the transition to the Switch had been smoother, 2016 was rough, but I'm glad they're finally leaving it behind, and the Switch looks exciting.

Nah not at all. Nintendo should be commended for how much support they gave the Wii U. Did you feel betrayed as a 360 owner when GTA5, Halo the Master Chief Collection and Gears of War Ultimate Edition came to Xbox One?

It makes sense for Nintendo to leave the Wii U and hopefully these fantastic games will be played by more people.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
No.

You really want more wiiu games?
I'd still love a 3D World 2 to send it off with. But I'll gladly welcome it on the Switch if they have it in mind. I'm sad whatever Mario they're showing off now doesn't look like it'll be 3D World-style. So hopefully in time. I'm probably crazy for wanting a NSMB game on the Switch as well. Actually I'd be all for a compilation of all the NSMB games in a single pack when NSMBSw does come out. (Well at the very least, NSMBU and NSLU)

I'm ready to move into the future.

Actually I still have two games I haven't even opened yet (Pikmin 3 and Yoshi's Wooly World) and some I haven't finished. So I'll spend a few months catching up first.

flohen95

I bought my Wii U at launch, and in the end I got everything I, back then, wanted from it and even more than that (the first (European) EarthBound/EarthBound Beginnings release and Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE being pleasant surprises). I wouldn't mind if Nintendo would support it for longer, but I have no qualms about moving on either.

Nags

Banned
You are not the only one. When you buy a sustem, you expect it to have games released for it for more than 2 years.
That's why I'm gonna wait for nintendo systems to have a decent library before buying them from now on.

And whose fault it is that it failed?

That's a good plan of action. There is no guarantee the NX will manage to deliver as well. Could very well be worse than Wii U for all we know.

I got the typical amount of titles I would normally buy hardware over and games like Mario Kart are still played almost daily at my place so although it was a horrible mash of wii and something new, I got good use out of it.

I am just glad the switch hasn't been a gimmick factory and the functions we have seen make sense and actually have a purpose.

I wanted games like Mario Party on the WiiU but wasn't about to spend $200 on old long gone wii accessories just to play with my family. We had a few pro controllers (which were excellent, Sony needs to have that battery life in DS4) and even Nintendo Land which was fun left us out of a few games for not owning remotes and numchucks.

It had a serious identity crisis. RIP WiiU no tears from me, and you won't be missed lol

The first party output has been strong, so I've got my money's worth. The only thing I'm annoyed about is that Zelda seems to have been held back because of the Switch.

I always bought Nintendo consoles with the idea that there'd be at least one exclusive Zelda title for it. That, and the lack of a new Metroid Prime are the only issues I have.

It does subtly affect how I view picking up Switch at launch though. If the launch line up is Zelda and a bunch of enhanced ports then I'll probably wait.

You are not the only one. When you buy a sustem, you expect it to have games released for it for more than 2 years.
That's why I'm gonna wait for nintendo systems to have a decent library before buying them from now on.

And whose fault it is that it failed?

Good thing they made games for it for 4 years. :/

That's a good plan of action. There is no guarantee the NX will manage to deliver as well. Could very well be worse than Wii U for all we know.

Which is mostly nothing.

Evilmaus

I don't really feel the same way. I think the Wii U will be remembered fondly by those of us who own one. There's a lot of really great games for the system, many coming from Nintendo themselves, but plenty of gems from third parties too.

The message might not have been particularly clear in the beginning, and the whole concept may not have taken-off in the way that it was supposed to, but overall I think it's a great machine.

I'm currently playing through DK:Tropical Freeze on co-op mode with my girlfriend and it's some of the most fun I've had playing video games in a long time. We're even compelled to go back and try to get all the collectibles and get to all the hidden levels. In that regard, the Wii U has been a fantastic console for me.

The first party output has been strong, so I've got my money's worth. The only thing I'm annoyed about is that Zelda seems to have been held back because of the Switch.

I always bought Nintendo consoles with the idea that there'd be at least one exclusive Zelda title for it. That, and the lack of a new Metroid Prime are the only issues I have.

It does subtly affect how I view picking up Switch at launch though. If the launch line up is Zelda and a bunch of enhanced ports then I'll probably wait.

Hopefully the Switch will actually have a new Zelda that isn't a dual release with the next NEXT generation Nintendo system...

BKSmash

Mario Kart 8
Super Mario 3D World
Pikmin 3
Paper Mario Color Splash
Splatoon
Nintendoland
Yoshi's Woolly World
Smash Bros
Super Mario Maker

Nah fam, I feel pretty good about these great games I've gotten the chance to play.

We're even getting "special" versions instead of just straight ports so I'm quite happy with both the support they manage to give to Wii U despite low sales and the additions in the upcoming versions of Splatoon, MK and many other games that'll be ported.

Remember what we had for first PS4 years while it's a very successful system. Really even if I hoped better from my purchase when bought it I'm ok with what they delivered to me.

Also NS being an hybrid will give a totally new dimension to some games (I'm so happy to see more possibility for local coop or vs instead of only having online for this).

So "betrayed" is already a too strong word (they are a Company so don't get too sentimental here... it's sad but it's like that, they're weren't even obliged to keep supporting the Wii U) and really if you look back at it the Wii U has some of the best games this gen... and regarding ports, maybe wait to have more games on NS before purchasing (not only ports) even if the additions of DLC, a few novelties and "anywhere" multi are making it worth it for me.

One of my friemd definitely feels this way. She is a die hard Nintendo fan but cannot stop complaining on social media ever since the supposed-WiiU-exclusive Zelda was announced as a cross platform one.

I don't really feel the same way. I think the Wii U will be remembered fondly by those of us who own one. There's a lot of really great games for the system, many coming from Nintendo themselves, but plenty of gems from third parties too.

The message might not have been particularly clear in the beginning, and the whole concept may not have taken-off in the way that it was supposed to, but overall I think it's a great machine.

I'm currently playing through DK:Tropical Freeze on co-op mode with my girlfriend and it's some of the most fun I've had playing video games in a long time. We're even compelled to go back and try to get all the collectibles and get to all the hidden levels. In that regard, the Wii U has been a fantastic console for me.

Wait...! You move on to the next level without getting all of the collectibles first?

DK:TF is fantastic though. The music is godlike.

No, they gave it their all, but things just didn't work out.

The WiiU has an awesome library of games for it's failed system status. It still has by far the best exclusives this generation.

I use my Wii U as a VC machine at this point, so I just wish more VC games would launch.

I think Nintendo is done adding NES and SNES games to the Virtual Console though.

JoeM86

One of my friemd definitely feels this way. She is a die hard Nintendo fan but cannot stop complaining on social media ever since the supposed-WiiU-exclusive Zelda was announced as a cross platform one.

I don't understand. It's still coming out on Wii U. What's the issue?
Deeke[VRZ];221273541 said:
I use my Wii U as a VC machine at this point, so I just wish more VC games would launch.

I think Nintendo is done adding NES and SNES games to the Virtual Console though.

Nintendo are pretty much out of first party NES and SNES games though. The only ones remaining require additional licensing either through IP or Super FX

Hopefully the Switch will actually have a new Zelda that isn't a dual release with the next NEXT generation Nintendo system...

This is what I'm worried about. Given the lifespan of Nintendo consoles is getting shorter, and tablet tech is evolving, you'd have to assume they might release a new console in another three or four years. If a new Zelda is just about finished then, why wouldn't they hold it back to push a new system again?

I think the idea of waiting until a system has the games you want on it is the smartest choice if you're in any doubt about future support.

nkarafo

He's comparing the total library of the N64 and Saturn in the pre-digital era to say the Wii U didn't get as much support. It's not a valid comparison.
Ok but how many of those digital only releases would worth a retail release? VC emulated games don't count.

I personally wouldn't count most indie games as eligible either. Or free to play games. In the same way i don't count public domain/fan made/community games that exist in pre-digital consoles.

The only betrayal I felt was the lack of third party games. Nintendo failed to cultivate that, and part of the blame lies on them. Investment wise, it reached the goal for me, but just barely.

Pandy

It's been my primary gaming console since it came out, and gave me my personal GOTY for three years running.

Also, depending how Switch handles certain features, I'm likely to keep the WiiU set-up for the forseeable future for youtube/internet on TV alone.

Definitely not feeling 'betrayed' over here.

Nags

Banned
They supported the thing as long as they could. Be grateful it didn't get the Vita treatment.

What Vita treatment? New games still being released?
I don't understand this thought process. Vita still gets more games and has more games than Wii U.

Madao

tbh, they salvaged this console as much as it was humanly possible without bleeding cash left and right.

the mistakes made in the console's design were too severe to turn around. this console would have killed Sony if they were the ones dealing with it.

this is a business, not a honor game.

Serious question. Is switch more powerful than the wiiU?don't really think it is?

Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer: Yes.

What Vita treatment? New games still being released?
I don't understand this thought process. Vita still gets more games and has more games than Wii U.

The Vita treatment is first party support abandoning it and deeming it a legacy console outside Japan. It does not mean it doesn't get games anymore. Even if most of those games won't hit the west anyways.

MarionCB

Not betrayed, just disappointed. They failed in the market and that lead to scant third-party support and a premature end to the system. If they turn the online servers off then I'll feel betrayed; when the Switch Mario Kart comes out, MK8 damn well better still be online.

Nags

Banned
It is now on Switch also.

Well exclusive Zelda was one of the major reason she purchased WiiU. She said she would have totally skipped WiiU if she knew it would be a twilight princess case.

Wait, I knew that.... But I guess what I didn't realize is that would make this the first Nintendo console (outside VB) to not have it's own Zelda game. Is that right?

Its a risk you take I have been gaming since the Mega Drive (Genesis), and I have seen consoles collapse on their arse.

Sega Saturn
Dreamcast
Original Xbox.

The WiiU was an abysmal failure sale wise, we can talk about that until the cows come home.

But betrayed? Hell no, New Super Mario Brothers, Super Mario 3D World, BAYONETTA 2, Mario Kart 8, Smash, Pikmin 3 to name a few

AND THEN there is COD: Black Ops 2, yes its an old game but play two player in the same room, you each get your own screen.

Yes it is a failure but games wise it delivered almost as well as the dreamcast. Get the games you can now, and I bet you that a few years down the line you will be replaying these games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom