• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a Wii U owner I feel betrayed by Nintendo. Am I the only one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my disappointment with the wii u set in long before the switch was ever a thing. Might end up being the last nintendo system I buy for a long long time.

the switch has nothing to do with those feelings

Gamecube is light years beyond the Wii U in its library though. Gamecube I have no regrets about.

2 excellent Metroid games, the best F-Zero with GX (one of my favorite games of all time), Fire Emblem, 2 Zelda games, Mario Sunshine, 2 Pikmin games, a real Animal Crossing, best version of Killer 7, best version of RE4, both Baten Kaitos games, Eternal Darkness, Chibi Robo, Custom Robo, Geist, FF Crystal Chronicles, Luigi's Mansion, P.N.03 (looooove this game, there still is nothing else like it), Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3, Ultimate Muscle and Wario World. Maybe I'm missing a few here.

Your post reminded me of why I love the GameCube so much. I got one Summer of 2005 for $50 and man, nothing beat the games I played those 3 months. Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, Melee, Luigi's Mansion, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, and Animal Crossing.

Animal Crossing specifically is so bittersweet to think about. I got absolutely lost in that world. The music, the art, the feel, just everything is so clear in my head. I tried going back to it recently and while it still felt the same, I knew I wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much as I did then because I just can't bring myself to sink that much time into a game I played that much, especially when I did the same with Wild World and New Leaf. It always kind of hurt when I tried sharing the game with friends and they all found it boring.

Sorry to get so off-topic but it just brought back so many memories.

I can understand why your friend feels betrayed then. Going a whole gen without a Zelda game to call its own is pretty much sacrilege for a Nintendo console.

Hyrule Warriors filled that hole for me. They are still releasing DLC for it after all of these years. It even introduced new stories and characters like Cia and Volga. The thousand hours of gameplay so far for my buddy and I has also been fantastic.

2 HD remasters, 8 VC, and BOTW on its way, I think we did alright...

I see what you're saying though.

I think it would be a very nice thing if Nintendo release the new 3d Mario game and some other early Switch games also for Wii U.
Just to thanks the Wii U owners.

This your first console cycle? This is how things work, and that would be an awful idea to do that sense people wouldn't have a reason to buy the new, more expensive console.

MrPanic

I'll probably feel a little bit sour when I'm purchasing all these WiiU ports again for the Switch, but I got a lot of great games on the WiiU and I honestly feel like it has given me exactly what I expected, so I can't be anything other than fine with this situation.

mAcOdIn

I don't feel betrayed, the Wii U sucks. It's a miracle it survived this long. I'm playing that SMTxFE game right now and I'm amazed they bothered with how dead the thing is. I guess they did skimp out on some spots as there's some dialogue they didn't even bother translating. Cheapskates, lol.

In all honesty the blame falls on the consumer. I mean really. Look at it. It looks shitty. Turn it on and play with it at launch. It was ass. The OS was ass. The gamepad was a joke. The thing had no right to survive and yet many of us bought it anyways, in spite of that, for Nintendo games. Far as I'm concerned it was a bad investment. Obviously upfront bad to the point no-one should be surprised or angry it didn't succeed. No one should have even bought it in the first place if they expected long term support.

To me the Wii U looked as stillborn as the Ngage, Jaguar, Nuon, Divx or the Palm Pre. When you're buying a device that relies on long term support to hold it's value as opposed to something that exists without needing continued support I think it is the consumer's responsibility to look rationally at the full picture and evaluate the chances of it reasonably doing well enough to make it that far. The Wii U, in my opinion, never looked like it reasonably had a shot at a good life. Never.

Perhaps I look at things differently because I've seen more hardware manufacturers than I can remember trying to make a console or home gaming computer and going bust.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
In the end all I wanted was Super Mario Universe :(

wtf?

given the horrible sales Nintendo kept it alive over years with incredible software.
I don't understand how anyone can complain.

any other would have jumped ship a long time ago

Im glad it's dead. And the few good games it had will probably be ported to switch pretty quick.

So umm. Yay me I guess. You poor poor gamer you.

Nags

Banned
Your post reminded me of why I love the GameCube so much. I got one Summer of 2005 for $50 and man, nothing beat the games I played those 3 months. Wind Waker, Mario Sunshine, Melee, Luigi's Mansion, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, and Animal Crossing.

Animal Crossing specifically is so bittersweet to think about. I got absolutely lost in that world. The music, the art, the feel, just everything is so clear in my head. I tried going back to it recently and while it still felt the same, I knew I wouldn't be able to enjoy it as much as I did then because I just can't bring myself to sink that much time into a game I played that much, especially when I did the same with Wild World and New Leaf. It always kind of hurt when I tried sharing the game with friends and they all found it boring.

Sorry to get so off-topic but it just brought back so many memories.

I love it man, I have so many great memories of that console as well. I still play F-Zero GX split screen with friends to this day.

cluderi

No problems here.

I had a blast with the Wii U and can't wait for the Switch. I'm hoping Nintendo use all the IPs they have to produce enhanced ports to give the Switch as much chance as possible (I thought Splatoon was one of the best IPs of the last few years)

He means not being supported by First Party content and getting branded as a legacy console outside of Japan while some retailers just purge most of their shelves of your games.

Vita released a year before WiiU. WiiU died quicker than Vita. Vita never had a drought as big as WiiU had. Vita got a newer revision while WiiU never even tried.

Let's try again.

Neff

Gamecube is light years beyond the Wii U in its library though. Gamecube I have no regrets about.

2 excellent Metroid games, the best F-Zero with GX (one of my favorite games of all time), Fire Emblem, 2 Zelda games, Mario Sunshine, 2 Pikmin games, a real Animal Crossing, best version of Killer 7, best version of RE4, both Baten Kaitos games, Eternal Darkness, Chibi Robo, Custom Robo, Geist, FF Crystal Chronicles, Luigi's Mansion, P.N.03 (looooove this game, there still is nothing else like it), Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3, Ultimate Muscle and Wario World. Maybe I'm missing a few here.

I dunno. Gamecube was fantastic, no doubt about it, but outside of Nintendo IPs, to me it's basically the Resident Evil console. If I stack Wii U alongside GC, Wii U wins out due to having a better Mario, a far better Mario Kart, a better Star Fox, almost certainly a better Zelda, and better original content. I even like Smash U more than Melee, too.

Hell, I'd probably even say Wii was better than GC overall. Again, that's not to downplay GC's merits, I love the thing, but I'd say Nintendo's output in particular since then has seen significant improvement.

The Wii U is only 4 years old but won't receive any more support by Nintendo (except for Zelda that should have been released many time ago).
In addition many Wii U games will have enhanced ports on the Switch. Enhancements that I'll probably never have on my Wii U games.
So I feel a bit like I've been a beta tester for the Nintendo Switch all along. Am I the only one?

P.S. sorry for the bad english

I wouldn't say betrayed, but I know what you mean. I wish there was an option to allow Wii U owners to receive a patch or DLC for the enchanced ports.

Vita released a year before WiiU. WiiU died quicker than Vita.

Let's try again.

Hey man I own a Vita and I can't buy anything I want for it because almost no store even sells physical carts anymore and I don't have enough memory to buy games digitally because the memory cards are still 65-80 dollars for a 32 gb. It might as well be dead over here.

Chinbo37

I just bought a Wii U a couple months ago knowing that the system was basically dead.

However it has enough games that I was happy to spend the money. I dont really play online or multiplayer a lot so I am happy with my purchase. Who knows maybe in 10 years they will be rare and I can make back the 300 I spent on it (Xenoblade X bundle).

Anyways, no issue for me that they are abandoning support.

my disappointment with the wii u set in long before the switch was ever a thing. Might end up being the last nintendo system I buy for a long long time.

Pretty much this. I went in on the WiiU for just £100 and I still feel ripped off by it a bit, but I went in knowing it was dead in the water.

I'll be buying a aswitch at some point though, simply because as much as I hated the WiiU. I loved the 3DS, so I'm on board for it as a handheld if nothing else.

If it were just another underpowered, Nintendo system just for Nintendo fans home console though, I'd likely have only ever bought it at fire sale prices, if at all.

I got my money's worth out of MK8 (~150h), and only lost the game's worth of money when I sold the Wii U a few months back. I considered getting other games for the system, but the prices Nintendo asks for older games are crazy so I never bothered since there's so many games on other platforms I could play.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
If you're a Nintendo fan and never got around to owning a Wii U, I'd feel betrayed they still want full price for the system when a new one is coming out in 5 months.

Teppic

Wii U was really good. Splatoon, Mario Maker, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Tropical Freeze, 3D World, Nintendo Land, all made the console worth it. Soon Zelda too.

I find it funny how people applaud Nintendo for ,,keeping it alive". Keeping it alive, how? This thing was a gigantic drought, which eventually was interrupted by shitty Starfox and Paper Mario games or full priced GCN ports and some rehashes here and there. The WiiU didn't even have an exclusive Zelda, lol.
A Virtual Boy situation would have been better than these 4 years of torture.

This, I agree with. Those memory cards are ripoff.

It's why I appreciate that even though Wii U is ending earlier than a Vita, it never had the weird problems Viita always had and it felt like at the very least its company TRIED to prop it up to the best of their ability (circumstances considered, after all they were also building the Switch) when the outside market was against it. With Vita it's like they barely even tried outside of Japan after the first 2 years.

jwillenn

If Nintendo gets the Wii U (and other) VCs up in a timely fashion and allows game owners to redownload their stuff to play through NX with no additional charge, I'll have no complaints.

Jintor

personally i follow the philosophy of only buying what's out, not what's in the future, and it's worked out alright for me.

Only thing I'm bitter about is Zelda taking this god damn long. I bought a Wii u in 2013, they promised Zelda for 2015. It's still not here.

But I have bought about 35 physical games for Wii U and had a blast. It has catered to my gaming taste very nicely. But let's be honest, the console has been dead for a while now. The Switch can't come soon enough!

Fbh

Not really.

When I got my WiiU I knew I was buying a failing system. I knew Nintendo would Support it with a few games every year and try to get a new system out ASAP. And it will get a nice goodbye with Zelda next year

I have to say though, that so far owning a WiiU has me really unexcited about the Switch after the reveal was 90% ports.

No. Clearly if a console sells as badly as the wiiu did and has no third party support there's not really much point to continue to support it, especially if its one of your primary streams of revenue like it is for nintendo.

I do feel disappointed by some of the decisions they made both pre and post launch though.

Enhanced ports on the switch are to be expected, as if it's any kind of decent success it'll have tens of millions of owners who never bought a wii u.

Budi

I don't own any of the current gen platforms, only been playing on PC this gen. But I'd still want a Wii U if the console and it's games just were cheaper. It has most of the games I'd want to play on any console at the moment. Though at this point it probably is better to wait for Switch and the possible ports.

cireza

I dunno. Gamecube was fantastic, no doubt about it, but outside of Nintendo IPs, to me it's basically the Resident Evil console. If I stack Wii U alongside GC, Wii U wins out due to having a better Mario, a far better Mario Kart, a better Star Fox, almost certainly a better Zelda, and better original content. I even like Smash U more than Melee, too.

Hell, I'd probably even say Wii was better than GC overall. Again, that's not to downplay GC's merits, I love the thing, but I'd say Nintendo's output in particular since then has seen significant improvement.
I can understand that you prefer Wii U to GC, but this is a matter of tastes (I prefer Mario, Mario Kart and Smash Bros on GC). In the end, I think that both console are not exactly equal in terms of games.

If you ask me, it seems to me that Nintendo supported more the GC with its own games (more "ambitious" games), and Third Parties were also more present. In fact, GC has a very decent line-up of big Third Party games.

I hope that they will be able to get back as many Third Parties as possible on board with the Switch.

Soul_Pie

It was a disappointment in many ways, and that's two in a row from Nintendo from my perspective. I think I would have felt more aggrieved if I had bought it at full price and pinned more of my hopes on it, instead I got it on clearance for less than half price. The way they just kind of let the console linger around like an embarrassing fart without attempting to actually try to salvage it makes me really apprehensive about buying another one of their consoles.

The way they just kind of let the console linger around like an embarrassing fart without attempting to actually try to salvage it makes me really apprehensive about buying another one of their consoles.

I would argue that the salvaging attempt happened from 2014 to the end of 2015 before they decided to focus on Switch development.

Yes, as a customer I feel like Nintendo pulled the rug out from under the Wii U too soon. It was kind of slow to get started, and to me it really only had 3 years of proper support. It doesn't help that some of the later games feel very much like phoned in efforts, like Nintendo really stopped caring. They didn't even bother trying to be competitive with the price.

I can understand why they did this as a business decision, but as a consumer it does leave me with a bitter taste. If I bought the machine full price at launch, I'd be royally pissed.

alcabcucu

I guess it all depends on how many hours have you spent playing with your Wii U.

In my case, Wii U has given me thousands of hours of enjoyment. So no, I do not feel betrayed by Nintendo. On the contrary, I'm grateful they've kept releasing first party games even when they already knew the console was a failure in sales.

No. I don't feel betrayed. It's actually a very poor choice of words. I had to go look up "betrayed" in the dictionary to make sure OP's sentiment did not fall into one of the several related meanings of the word.

The Wii U is an excellent console. It's the GameCube of its era but with actually better first party games and an infinitely better controller (talking about the Pro here, not the Gamepad).

I don't feel betrayed by Nintendo releasing the Switch, or "enhanced" ports of Wii U games for it. (I'm sure there will be content enhancement, but we have yet to see what technical enhancements, if any, these well actually have). The Switch versions are not going to magically wipe out the Wii U versions I own, and the many hours of enjoyment they have brought me.

As a consumer, I make an investment and decide what to do with that investment. Beyond that investment, the company doesn't owe me anything, and I don't owe anything to it. It's up to me to make the best of my investment.

If I buy a PS4 and Sony decides to release a Slim and a Pro, would I feel betrayed? No.
If I buy an Xbox One and Microsoft decides to release a Slim and the Scorpio, would I feel betrayed? No.
If I buy, say, a GTX960 and Nvidia decides to release a GTX10xx line at a good price, would I feel betrayed? No.

keidashxd

I feel WiiU lasted too much, we've had lots of months without any launch, and the third party support after the first year was a joke.

To be honest switch is arriving late due to not disappoint many WiiU users.

SNIKT!

I always knew that the Wii U was basically gonna be my Bayonetta 2 machine, so I knew what I was getting into. I still ended up with 12 physical games and a bunch of digital ones. We good.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Z6Oo7xo.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom