• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a Wii U owner I feel betrayed by Nintendo. Am I the only one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilmaus

Wait...! You move on to the next level without getting all of the collectibles first?

DK:TF is fantastic though. The music is godlike.

Yeah we tend to die way too much to get the collectibles on the first try! We make a big deal out of getting plenty of coins so we can buy more lives! 😅

And agreed, the music is amazing.

klier

The Wii U is only 4 years old but won't receive any more support by Nintendo (except for Zelda that should have been released many time ago).
In addition many Wii U games will have enhanced ports on the Switch. Enhancements that I'll probably never have on my Wii U games.
So I feel a bit like I've been a beta tester for the Nintendo Switch all along. Am I the only one?

P.S. sorry for the bad english

This post and then reading your post history.....

Very sad......so let me just roll my eyes. You're nothing but a trolling attention whore.

dramaticslowmo

Neo Member
Absolutely not. Had a decent library when Nintendo supported the system, but it's been dead for a while now so happy to move onto a new system.

Nags

Banned
By any reasonable standards, yes.

But your post history in this thread indicates that you are not interested in arguing in good faith.

Are you? By saying that Wii U has the best library?
So only reasonable people think the Wii U has the best library?

Kamina

Golden Boy
Two rooms, two TVs, enough spare for a WiiU + Switch.
Plus, the WiiU isnt being replaced by the Switch anyway as plenty aweosme games are only available on WiiU.

Nags

Banned
As a day-one buyer, I feel disappointed. It did not deliver much more than what was announced before launch. We pretty much knew all the games to come before the console was released.

I bought the console hoping to see some other games, like Metroid or a Fire Emblem game. Nothing happened. Nintendo simply delivered what was announced, and the second wave of games did not consist of ambitious games, but short developments to feed the players. That's disappointing. Even if Splatoon is fun, I can't be satisfied by small/rushed games like Mario Maker or Starfox.

This pretty much mirrors my experience.

Ok but how many of those digital only releases would worth a retail release? VC emulated games don't count.

I personally wouldn't count most indie games as eligible either. Or free to play games. In the same way i don't count public domain/fan made/community games that exist in pre-digital consoles.

If you really feel that way, you need to take a hard look at the (Japan-only) amateurish no-budget trash that makes up so much of the Saturn's library. There's some unbelievable stuff in there, I'm talking hentai visual novels that look like they were drawn with crayons.

Personally I love the wii U, and I have a selection of 15 games that will last for years, highly polished software that lends itself to repeated playthroughs. 15 games isnt alot by some standards likely, but with the number of consoles I own( and time to play nowadays) I was fine with the release schedule.

Meanwhile( probably unpopular opinion incoming) Im slugging through Uncharted 4 begging for it to end so I can shelve it. I had a playthrough of Mario Kart 8 yesterday, and was grinning ear to ear. There are several wii U games that provided that same experience. Only thing missing for me was Metroid Prime 4, F-zero, and a Fire emblem title. Otherwise the system delivered for me.

Dougald

They supported the Wii U for longer than was reasonable, to be honest. It's been pretty much dead for years. There's no obligation to continue trying to push a product that isn't selling. 4 years is fine

I bought mine for a couple hundred quid 3 years ago and only for a few games. I feel I got value for money out of it

Neff

I feel no more betrayed than I did when Nintendo dropped Gamecube a mere 4 years after launch.

I bought Wii U at launch and, like Gamecube, I've had an amazing time with it. 4 years plus change of incredible gaming. Truly one of the best consoles I've ever owned, despite its shortcomings, simply due to the amazing library.

Lack of BC aside, the Switch has the potential to host games just as amazing as Wii U's, if not more so, and I look forward to finding out just what they are.

Durante

A prerequisite for a "betrayal" is a relationship of trust.

Just because I bought a Wii U from them doesn't mean I trust them to do anything other than trying to maximize their profits.

Hasney

I'm still working out how to clear my Wii U backlog before Switch alongside new games I will be getting... Fucking Nintendo, should have given me longer!

DavidDesu

I just bought a PSVR for the same price as a new console. I know full well it might not be a great investment in the long term if it doesn't get quality support, but I took the risk. You took the risk.

You can't expect Nintendo to spend millions making games to sell to such a tiny audience. The Wii U was a bust. Their own fault for a terribly confusing name and proposition that to this day still has some people believing it to be an add on controller for the Wii...

RatCupcake

Neo Member
I do not feel betrayed at all. There are still quite a few games that I'd like to play on the Wii U so it doesn't really feel 'dead' for me. The Switch looks pretty interesting too, so it'll be cool to see how that pans out.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm happy with what I got out of the WiiU. It has a really strong library of exclusives with some of Nintendo's best. It could've used a Metroid and of course there was the early death, but when I look back... So many greats!

oni-link

No, I picked up a Wii U in March 2015 when it was a decent price, and I've had a ton of fun with it, and I'll have a ton more fun with it in the coming years

I don't know enough about the Switch to know when/if I'll get one. All I know is I won't get it at launch as early adopters always get the worst deal

Nags

Banned
I feel no more betrayed than I did when Nintendo dropped Gamecube a mere 4 years after launch.

I bought Wii U at launch and, like Gamecube, I've had an amazing time with it. 4 years plus change of incredible gaming. Truly one of the best consoles I've ever owned, despite its shortcomings, simply due to the amazing library.

Lack of BC aside, the Switch has the potential to host games just as amazing as Wii U's, if not more so, and I look forward to finding out just what they are.

Gamecube is light years beyond the Wii U in its library though. Gamecube I have no regrets about.

2 excellent Metroid games, the best F-Zero with GX (one of my favorite games of all time), Fire Emblem, 2 Zelda games, Mario Sunshine, 2 Pikmin games, a real Animal Crossing, best version of Killer 7, best version of RE4, both Baten Kaitos games, Eternal Darkness, Chibi Robo, Custom Robo, Geist, FF Crystal Chronicles, Luigi's Mansion, P.N.03 (looooove this game, there still is nothing else like it), Star Wars Rogue Squadron 3, Ultimate Muscle and Wario World. Maybe I'm missing a few here.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wait...! You move on to the next level without getting all of the collectibles first?

DK:TF is fantastic though. The music is godlike.

I always play like that. Play through the levels once and get to the end. Then go back through the game and collect what I missed.

The only disappointing thing I've heard is the apparent rumour that MKSwitch is but an enhanced port of MK8. With the amount of time there's been since the last DLC bundle I was looking forward to a brand new MK, especially as I expected them to keep the same engine. I'm just hoping the rumour mill has mistaken using same engine to mean a port rather than a sequel and we will get the standard set of 16 new tracks and 16 retro tracks.

L.O.R.D

i don't have WiiU,but if sony did the same thing for Vita,i won't be mad.

unless if the Vita2 can't play old Vita games.

trugs26

I'm a Wii U owner, and I'm okay with it. It's Nintendo's worst selling console, and they still managed to keep it around 4 years. That's actually pretty incredibly considering all things.

skypunch

Banned
Not at all. How can anyone become so attached to the Wii U? It's the worst Nintendo home console ever made with a shitty name to boot and fisherprice design. I moved on a year ago when I sold the thing. Switch is where it's at now!

Greddleok

Not at all. How can anyone become so attached to the Wii U? It's the worst Nintendo home console ever made with a shitty name to boot and fisherprice design. I moved on a year ago when I sold the thing. Switch is where it's at now!

Well that's just wrong. There are some incredible games on the WiiU. It's way better than the Wii.

Jacknapes

Nintendo supported the WiiU, even though the userbase was small. They could have abandoned the home console marker and focussed on the 3DS and mobile markets, but didn't. There are some great games on the WiiU, including but not limited to

Mario Kart 8
Splatoon
Captain Toad: Treasure Trackers
Pikmin 3

All great games, and i had an aweful lot of fun playing them over the WiiU's lifespan. If anything, i feel Nintendo rewarded the userbase over the lifespan.

Terrorblot

"Am I the only one angry Nintendo didn't choose to sink with the ship?"
I'd rather get the new consoles now than wait the agonizing time it took to move on from the Wii/PS3/360.

Teknoman

The Wii U is only 4 years old but won't receive any more support by Nintendo (except for Zelda that should have been released many time ago).
In addition many Wii U games will have enhanced ports on the Switch. Enhancements that I'll probably never have on my Wii U games.
So I feel a bit like I've been a beta tester for the Nintendo Switch all along. Am I the only one?

P.S. sorry for the bad english

Console cycles used to be 4 years max so I'm good. Still have a bit of a Wii U backlog anyway.

Cultural Leet

Neo Member
I bought mine earlier this year when I knew it was going to be abandoned. I knew what I was getting into, unlike some. For me, it was totally worth it. It doesn't have a huge library but there is a handful of really great games that you can't play anywhere else. My kid absolutely loves it. If the Switch has as many great games I will be satisfied with it as well.

The huge number of hours Ive gotten out of MH3U, Smash 4, MK 8, Splatoon, SMM, and Xenoblade ALONE mean I'm more than satisfied with the level of support that this unfortunate runt of the litter unwanted console has received. There's a much longer list that includes a bunch of indies but I wont bother. Hell we got a sequel to Canvas curse that went at a slightly more relaxed pace but was just as well designed. Sure things couldve been better and the core strength of it couldve been explored more, but it was clear very early on that the market wasnt interested. It goes beyond poor marketing

A clear misstep for a company that often takes big risks (for as much as they're ironically conservative when it comes to pricing and financials). We need to all move on, but remember the good times.

There are, but fewer classics in my opinion. All I can think of off the top of my head is Galaxy 1&2, Wii Sports and Prime Trilogy (and they're really GCN games).

LOL. The Wii's gems had to be mined out of massive boulders of garbage, but they're numerous

tumblr_inline_mtg6nwe7Bz1qiw26m.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom