• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As Japanese Switch supply shrinks, consumers form long lines for retail "lotteries"

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Considering this is supposed to replace both the Wii U and 3DS, I don't see anything impressive about this. Remember the NES classic that they purposely undershipped?

Switch is still tracking behind the Wii U, so too early to say that it will be more successful than that.

Nintendo only has 1 hardware to produce now instead of two, so what's wrong with them? Supply shouldn't be an issue at all. Look how many different hardware Sony and MS are producing. Take notes Nintendo.
The art of making up shit as you go (tm)

(can't remember who was the original holder of that tag)

Something is clearly wrong, if I can buy a Switch from France and with the postage it is still almost 50€ cheaper than buying from Finland.

Bergsala is to blame, in my opinion almost every Nintendo thing is always overpriced.

There have been plenty of explanation for this shortages: Nintendo was bound to be conservative after the Wii U, and ramping up production is very difficult because of competition for parts with Apple and other big companies. And besides that, Nintendo stands much more to gain from creating a big install base than by creating extra hype around a product that is already in big demand.

Yeah, those people just sound like conspiracy theorists.

The system is much more expensive in Europe, where you get it relatively easy to get one compared to the US.

Japan: 30000 Yen (or 240 EUR)
Europe: 41000 Yen (or 330 EUR)

Add to that shipping and custom fees and it gets even more expensive.

So they probably don't want to import.
True, but I'd like to believe if you are desperate enough to line up for lotteries ect. then paying some extra isn't a crazy option.

Hilarion

Switch is still tracking behind the Wii U, so too early to say that it will be more successful than that.

What? What?

The Wii U sold 4.6 million units between November 2012 and December 2013. The Switch has sold nearly 4 million units between March 2017 and April 2017, and when May numbers are in it will have clearly outsold the Wii U's first 13 months in 3 months.

13ruce

Banned
Considering this is supposed to replace both the Wii U and 3DS, I don't see anything impressive about this. Remember the NES classic that they purposely undershipped?

Nintendo only has 1 hardware to produce now instead of two, so what's wrong with them? Supply shouldn't be an issue at all. Look how many different hardware Sony and MS are producing. Take notes Nintendo.

Lol as if they can just poof them out of thin air. They need parts used in phones and are fighting against apple orders for said parts.

Besides those factory workers can't just make millions of them in such a short timeframe even if Nintendo had a very big order now.

Also they have merchandise to sell and entered mobile space where they make lots of cash. There is a theme park deal going on too.

Their stock also is at a all time high investers and wall street are not the brightest yes but i doubt they would buy stock in a failing company lol.

spekkeh

Banned
Rereading it now, I see. Cut me some slack, it's 11 AM and I haven't even had my second pizza yet.
Vegetables for breakfast? Crazy. No wonder you're not thinking straight. You should eat a sugarated bread. Much better carbs.

Cuningas de Häme;239132151 said:
Something is clearly wrong, if I can buy a Switch from France and with the postage it is still almost 50€ cheaper than buying from Finland.

Bergsala is to blame, in my opinion almost every Nintendo thing is always overpriced.

Yeah no wonder it's not sold out in Scandinavia. It's like retail doesn't understand there's a large single market. Weird that Nintendo still uses overpricing distributors though.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
There was never an intentional supply constraint for any console ever. This is an urban legend. Obviously it would make absolutely no sense to not sell as many consoles as you can to increase the user base for your games, this is especially true for Nintendo.

Intentional, no.
There's doing conservative sales estimates and being more afraid of unsold stock over shortages, though.

Still not sure if Nintendo does this on purpose to drive up demand or not, but man it sucks either way.

Shit yes they do it on purpose,
Nintendo are masters at purposeful supply constraint. Even the number of units they chose to produce in year 1, 8 million, makes absolutely no sense unless you either have no faith in your product or want to supply constrain. Especially when the average successful console sells about 10,000,000 a year. The Switch could very well still be just an average selling console, but with a mix of the 2 million fans who still want it, scalpers who try to steal every unit to resell (increasing that 2 million), and people just caught up in the hype.

I imagine Nintendo is just playing with the supply at this point, to see what kind of reaction they'll get from the world. They certainly seem to be in no rush to produce higher volumes, but I would not be surprised if around Christmas time, all of a sudden all supply channels get flooded just enough to capitalize on the hype.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Still not sure if Nintendo does this on purpose to drive up demand or not, but man it sucks either way.
I don't think they are, and I gave up on getting one this year.

About to get another PS4 or a Pro now.

Hopefully stock is better next year. If the kids want a handheld this year, it's gonna be a Vita. They don't want the 3DS again.

People lining up to buy a console a few months after it released.
Got dayum.

Only in Japan though. They're a strange bunch.

Hopefully stock is better next year. If the kids want a handheld this year, it's gonna be a Vita. They don't want the 3DS again.

Please don't get your kids a Vita. Don't be that dad getting the kid legacy platforms. Just wait for the Switch next year or something.

Jebusman

Banned
Nintendo are masters at purposeful supply constraint. Even the number of units they chose to produce in year 1, 8 million, makes absolutely no sense unless you either have no faith in your product or want to supply constrain. Especially when the average successful console sells about 10,000,000 a year. The Switch could very well still be just an average selling console, but with a mix of the 2 million fans who still want it, scalpers who try to steal every unit to resell (increasing that 2 million), and people just caught up in the hype.

I imagine Nintendo is just playing with the supply at this point, to see what kind of reaction they'll get from the world. They certainly seem to be in no rush to produce higher volumes, but I would not be surprised if around Christmas time, all of a sudden all supply channels get flooded just enough to capitalize on the hype.

I want you to realise how fucking ridiculous this sounds in the face of all the actual technical and logistical reasons why they are supply constrained right now.

You are literally pulling numbers out of your ass to try and claim Nintendo, the company who just came off the failure of the WiiU, apparently should have known this would be selling at an arbitrary pace you decided means "successful".

diaspora

yikes

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Only in Japan though. They're a strange bunch.

Please don't get your kids a Vita. Don't be that dad getting the kid legacy platforms. Just wait for the Switch next year or something.

I just got PS3 again and they are happy. If it wasn't for BC on XBO I would get another 360.

If they wanted the 3DS I would get it.

They don't care about last gen, legacy all that much. They just wanna play what they wanna play. Even if they can see the differences vs. PS4 and XBO, they still play on the PS3.

Right now it's Vita and Switch. Since one is hard to get, next option it is.

I don't let console warriorism dictate my purchases.

Futaba

I'm not at all surprised, especially given it's a weekend.
It's pretty much what Japanese do.

Go to any large-ish mall on egg discount day and you'll see a line wrapping the entire way around the inside of the store, even though only maybe 40 or so people will get any.

Go to Tokyo disney land/sea on a nice day, and you'll be lucky to fit in two goes on a ride the entire day, even with fastpasses.

Go to comiket, period.

You can buy switches online via sites such as yahoo auctions in Japan for around $50-60 over their regular retail price, there's right now 306 available. And many many more on other sites too. If people were really desperate to get one, they would just buy the scalpers units, but they're not, and theyre instead patient enough to wait in a line 200+ strong even if they know the store barely has allocation to serve a 1/10th of that, and even though spending all that time waiting *just for the chance* to buy one at RRP, will only be saving them the price of a game.

It's always been this way though, it's just how Japan is. The only exception is for xbox consoles.

Allseeingeye my ass.

watershed

Banned

Can we keep alternative facts out of video game discussions please?

MazeHaze

Banned
Not sure why people think Nintendo intentionally under-shipping is some crazy conspiracy theory. It's been a big part of their business model since the NES. Read the book Console Wars it goes pretty in depth about Nintendo's business practices.

MoonFrog

I just got PS3 again and they are happy. If it wasn't for BC on XBO I would get another 360.

If they wanted the 3DS I would get it.

They don't care about last gen, legacy all that much. They just wanna play what they wanna play. Even if they can see the differences vs. PS4 and XBO, they still play on the PS3.

Right now it's Vita and Switch. Since one is hard to get, next option it is.

I don't let console warriorism dictate my purchases.

Yeah, even if Vita is "dead," it'll still have old software and access to other playstation software that children might have missed.

oti

Banned
Not sure why people think Nintendo intentionally under-shipping is some crazy conspiracy theory. It's been a big part of their business model since the NES. Read the book Console Wars it goes pretty in depth about Nintendo's business practices.

Conservative shipping isn't some crazy new thing only Nintendo does. But going from that to the extreme of "Nintendo uses artificial scarcity to generate 'buzz' for their consoles for several decades" is complete and utter nonsense.

MazeHaze

Banned
Conservative shipping isn't some crazy new thing only Nintendo does. But going from that to the extreme of "Nintendo uses artificial scarcity to generate 'buzz' for their consoles for several decades" is complete and utter nonsense.
I mean it isn't just conservative shipping. Seriously read that book. It's a fact that they consistently intentionally undershipped the NES to retailers to generate buzz. People don't just pull these assumptions out of their asses, it's speculation based on their known business tactics in the past.

ultrazilla

Gold Member

I'm convinced they practice artificial shortages(Classic NES) but in this particular situation I do think they're just not making them quick enough to sell.

After the disastrous Wii U, they want to move as many Switches as they possibly can. They CANNOT be happy with the shortages at this point.

And people wonder why juniors stay the easy target on GAF

I could get one at any point around here, but I'm waiting for a successful E3 to see some more stuff on the way. But then again there rarely are shortages here - except the Classic Mini of course.

Oregano

In the specific case of Japan you can't really say Nintendo is creating artificial demand because even with the shortages and lotteries the Switch is selling much better than any platform since 3DS(and might even overtake 3DS launch aligned in July). It's doing really well there.

Imagine what will happen when the next pokemon game hits.

I'd like to imagine Nintendo isn't stupid enough to release Pokemon before they have ample stock prepared.

Then again who knows, Pokemon is fairly evergreen title and it might come to 3DS too (if we are talking about Stars and not next gen).

SkyOdin

Nintendo is very likely holding stock back for MH and Splatoon. No idea how successful they will be with their production rampup so its also very likely holiday stockpiling will begin soon
Why would they hold back stock? Keeping stuff in a warehouse costs money but doesn't earn a dime. One of the basics of good business is to never hold onto excess inventory if you can avoid it.

oti

Banned
I mean it isn't just conservative shipping. Seriously read that book. It's a fact that they consistently intentionally undershipped the NES to retailers to generate buzz. People don't just pull these assumptions out of their asses, it's speculation based on their known business tactics in the past.

You can't compare Nintendo's strategy during their monopoly era with today's market. That's insane.

They literally paid tons of money for short-term air shipping. How does that fit your artificial scarcity "speculation".

Can we keep alternative facts out of video game discussions please?

Good way to put it.

People making shut up and lying. Alternative reality for these people. Honestly, if you're making shit up about a video game company, I can only imagine what kind of mess your reality is.

Papacheeks

Banned
Leave it to Nintendo to play it safe when launching a console "Globally" how the fuck do you not see how excited people were when it was revealed and when preorders came up.

The fact that this is not going to get better this year really shows how out of touch Nintendo is.

Like they had no competition hardware wise during it's launch? How do you not ramp up for a global launch?

boiled goose

good with gravy
I'm convinced they practice artificial shortages(Classic NES) but in this particular situation I do think they're just not making them quick enough to sell.

After the disastrous Wii U, they want to move as many Switches as they possibly can. They CANNOT be happy with the shortages at this point.

Nintendo didn't make enough nes mini to satisfy demand but it wasn't to drive demand.

They stopped making it lol.

Vena

I wish people would stop talking about electronic devices "collecting dust" from under use. Of all the objects to choose for this, why would you pick the one that *collects* dust more when its actually in use than not? Dust is generally polar, electronic devices create local (but far field relative to dust) electric fields when in use that attract more dust to them than normal objects.

If your device (or anything, for that matter) is collecting dust from underuse in short time frames, you live in a complete squalor.

watershed

Banned
You can't compare Nintendo's strategy during their monopoly era with today's market. That's insane.

They literally paid tons of money for short-term air shipping. How does that fit your artificial scarcity "speculation".

Not only that, but we recently had a Wall Street Journal article talking about competition over parts and manufacturing capacity. It's like with the Wii when Nintendo was shipping more consoles per month world wide then they ever had before but people on the internet still screamed about artificial shortages. It's a lazy, easy to explain, alternative facts version of reality.

spekkeh

Banned
Console wars is a fictionalized account with Nintendo as the bad guy.

My Switch is collecting dust, but mostly because I live in a desert-ish area, which is annoying cuz I play the damn thing every day, and that's before ARMS and Spla2n.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Leave it to Nintendo to play it safe when launching a console "Globally" how the fuck do you not see how excited people were when it was revealed and when preorders came up.

The fact that this is not going to get better this year really shows how out of touch Nintendo is.

Like they had no competition hardware wise during it's launch? How do you not ramp up for a global launch?

It's not good business to temporarily ramp up production

What you do is try to stockpile for launch and then your production should match demand.

Switch had biggest launch in their history. So... Yeah.

They are failing to ramp up now, and its costing them.

MazeHaze

Banned
Console wars is a fictionalized account with Nintendo as the bad guy.
It's definitely not.

Edit: definitely not Nintendo as the bad guy. It is fictionalized somewhat, but facts about business practices are based on interviews with retailers.

boiled goose

good with gravy
It's definitely not.

You know what generates "buzz"? Sales.
You know what generates more software sales? Higher install base.

Show me with math, how "artificial demand" results in higher profit.

If it's so obvious and proven, clearly there must be some research on this with mathematical models to back it up.

Oh and if its profitable why doesn't every single company do it?

If Nintendo had only undershipped the wiiu instead of overshipping it, it would have sold more!

You sir, should be a ceo.

Mindman

Lines for anything console related in Japan are a very good thing. I hope the Switch reignites the market over there with its hybrid model.

MazeHaze

Banned
You know what generates "buzz"? Sales.
You know what generates more software sales? Higher install base.

Show me with math, how "artificial demand" results in higher profit.

If it's so obvious and proven, clearly there must be some research on this with mathematical models to back it up.

Oh and if its profitable why doesn't every single company do it?

If Nintendo had only undershipped the wiiu instead of overshipping it, it would have sold more!

You sir, should be a ceo.

I don't have to show you with math, but obviously the numbers work otherwise Nintendo wouldn't be doing it.

Top Bottom