• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As Japanese Switch supply shrinks, consumers form long lines for retail "lotteries"

jackal27

Banned
We've already had a reputable news article about legitimate component shortages with Nintendo competing with mobile companies for parts. It's not a conscious decision to have these shortages. it's not a matter of managing its supply chain and more getting the parts to even make the consoles.
Thanks for clearing that up. It's never really made sense to me for them to be doing it intentionally anyway.

Daedardus

Nintendo is known to hold back stock and create artificial demand but in this situation they also have to deal with apple for flash nand and hd rumble motors. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo is holding back some stock in warehouses for the arms and splatoon launches just in case apple decides they want all the manufacturing devoted to them as the new iphone approaches.... apple always gets what they want and everyone else waits.

You don't hold masses of stock back in warehouses, that's like the worst decision you could ever make. Warehouses costs a lot of money, you lose out on serious potential sales and you have to factor in loss of goodwill costs. Nintendo has all interest in selling all created stock.

The stock issues are just a conservative production supply, that takes time to ramp up. The same is true for suppliers, they will try to ramp up their production if they are not constrained by their own suppliers.

jobrro

You don't hold masses of stock back in warehouses, that's like the worst decision you could ever make. Warehouses costs a lot of money, you lose out on serious potential sales and you have to factor in loss of goodwill costs. Nintendo has all interest in selling all created stock.

The stock issues are just a conservative production supply, that takes time to ramp up. The same is true for suppliers, they will try to ramp up their production if they are not constrained by their own suppliers.

Nintendo is a conservative company. If they expected another potential Wii U I can see where they came from for a smaller inventory for release.

Hopefully the ramping up on production pays off and the system can do well when it has a decent library by the end of the year.

big_z

If "known to" means "commonly accused of" that might be true.

there's an episode of Nintendo voice chat on why Nintendo keeps stock tight. It is intentional as they try to walk the razors edge to maximize profit in the supply and demand game. Compared to other companies Nintendo is very tight on what they produce and as a result if they read demand wrong its hard for them to react.

All three hold back units for the shopping season at the end of the year, it's not uncommon when you know demand will spike. In Nintendo's case they have a new ip and a popular sequel launching soon. They have to sit on some units for those launches, looks awful if you advertise your next big game and have zero systems on shelves for people to buy.

So the Switch is now on the same level as an idol concert. Truly, the greatest hallmark of success.

But seriously, I do hope the theory they've been stockpiling some supply on the side holds some water. Otherwise Splatoon 2's release is gonna be vicious.

Oregano

The PS4 has a much maturer library though. I'm loving my Switch and Zelda/Mario Kart are still proving more than enough of a reason for me to use mine daily, but relatively speaking there still isn't a whole lot of great content to play, at least there are several genre gaps and I can see how someone wouldn't be satiated by its current offerings. Not sure what your issue is with what I said.

But I thought it wasn't a slight on the software library?

... and if you're primarily interested in genres the Switch is missing why would you buy a Switch in the first place to say its collecting dust.

I've made a vow never to buy an Atlus product again.

I might get Wonder Boy though so not all is lost.

Disgaea 5 has nothing to do with Atlus, it's Nippon Ichi, so you're good there.

Why are you boycotting Atlus though?

Are Nintendo having supply issues just in Japan or worldwide? When I was looking for Tekken 7 yesterday, I saw loads of Switches about in shops.

It was also interesting to see how they divide up shelf space now between the big 3 hitters.

Oregano

Are Nintendo having supply issues just in Japan or worldwide? When I was looking for Tekken 7 yesterday, I saw loads of Switches about in shops.

It was also interesting to see how they divide up shelf space now between the big 3 hitters.

Not everywhere but Japan has it worst because it's comparatively more popular there.

Successfully got mine through the "My Nintendo Store". Took about 2 hours of refreshing and server errors though.
A bit tempting to sell considering even stores take it for 4-6000yen over the retail price.

in us it seems to be sold out too. in europe im not sure. i have seen some in the wild but amazon is always sold out and many have said to me that they had trouble finding one

... and if you're primarily interested in genres the Switch is missing why would you buy a Switch in the first place to say its collecting dust.

Why are you boycotting Atlus though?

It's not an attack on the library though, not necessarily. What I mean is that the way you're reacting and how I see others reacting to posts like this is as if he said "LOL Switch has no games!". Not sure why the idea of someone not enjoying their Switch and expresses as such on a forum seems to be bothering you so much. About genres, my point is that the Switch has a decent amount of content considering how new it is, but that content hasn't got the breadth of other system software libraries at the moment. That's all.

Anyway we're off-topic. Point is, I can see why someone would be unsatisfied with Switch at the moment. Nothing wrong with that.

Firemind

Ah, they haven't published a Disgaea game since the first one. Good to know.

I'm waiting for RPGs tbh.

jts

...hate me...
Those poor souls. Just keep more consoles for Japan damn it. Clearly other markets have more supply compared to their demand. I could literally go out now and buy another Switch today 😪

Oregano

Ah, they haven't published a Disgaea game since the first one. Good to know.

I'm waiting for RPGs tbh.

Then you should definitely be playing Disgaea 5.

Switch's year 1 lineup is probably more RPG heavy than any other systems in the last few years and we're probably getting more announced soon.

Madao

who would have thought the biggest problem for Nintendo would be competition to build parts for their handled?

it'd be dope if this prompted a dock-only model that lacks the screen and stuff and is just the machine's complete components inside the dock like a PSTV.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Considering this is supposed to replace both the Wii U and 3DS, I don't see anything impressive about this. Remember the NES classic that they purposely undershipped?

Switch is still tracking behind the Wii U, so too early to say that it will be more successful than that.

Nintendo only has 1 hardware to produce now instead of two, so what's wrong with them? Supply shouldn't be an issue at all. Look how many different hardware Sony and MS are producing. Take notes Nintendo.

I love how you chose to ignore all the responses to all the BS you posted above:

The Switch is not tracking behind the Wii U.

Almost nothing in this post is true.

There are some big errors here.

I don't actually get the purpose of making up lies. Is it that you assume no one will check, or can you not tell the difference

I'm going to guess this is a meme, since it contains such obvious falsehoods.

Do you just make up shit as you go or...

Judging by other posts in Nintendo threads from a variety of posters that pull the exact same bullshit? It's a little of both, most likely.

Is this the second Media Creates thread?

Your post is tracking behind the Xbox One in Japan.

Do a fact check.

When feelings win the battle over facts...

What source says that it replaces both the Wii U and the 3DS?

What current source do you have for this?

Nintendo is not launching a new 2DS XL in July?
https://www.nintendo.com/2ds/new-nintendo-2ds/

Also, where is your source saying that the 3DS and 3DS XL has stopped being manufactured?

And then without responding to all the points raised by people above, you yet continued to post more BS:

Agreed. I wonder how long Nintendo can keep this up making everyone unhappy? A lottery for buying your stuff is absurd. There is no product in this world harder to buy than Nintendo's.

Ain't that something else.

who would have thought the biggest problem for Nintendo would be competition to build parts for their handled?

it'd be dope if this prompted a dock-only model that lacks the screen and stuff and is just the machine's complete components inside the dock like a PSTV.

The parts that are in high demand include things like the flash memory, nothing from the dock or the screen. So even if they somehow make the thing you said, they'd still have trouble getting components.

extralite

The parts that are in high demand include things like the flash memory, nothing from the dock or the screen.

Could the flash memory be substituted by an HDD though?

That's what I thought the other day. Under normal circumstances I'd say they'd avoid such a model until much later or not ever but given the circumstances it's a possibilty. Although I think people who would buy or even prefer such a model are a minority.

yananana

... I walk into media market last saturday and see this:

and yes, I bought one. Neon colors forever!

Edit: fixed link

Man, would love to be the same here in France. I don't think I had the chance to see a Switch on shelves since launch day, and prices are absurd on the net. (nearly 400€ atm on Amazon.fr, same on Fnac.com)

Part of me wonders if Nintendo will space out their games more since supply is so limited that more games would just mean increased demand that can't be met anyways.

Like say Pokemon Stars or Smash Bros are pretty much done and ready to ship. Would it make sense to announce them now and release them in the fiscal year if Nintendo won't have enough systems to sell to the people interested in those games?

Monster Hunter XX and Splatoon 2 are already going to destroy Japan...

Then again, increasing demand despite limited supply helps ensure that new systems sell when they arrive, and creates the same effect as artificial scarcity, minus the artificial part.

I believe so. It's one of the major reasons they're concentrating on games releasing this year at their E3 presentation imo. Pokemon Stars and Smash Switch will be kept for the first dip in sales sometime in 2018 (probably Spring or Summer).

Isn't this practice common?

When Yokai Watch was pretty big and the toys were scarce people would line up to get the chance to buy the watch too.

Could the flash memory be substituted by an HHD though?

That's what I thought the other day. Under normal circumstances I'd say they'd avoid such a model until much later or not ever but given the circumstances it's a possibilty. Although I think people who would buy or even prefer such a model are a minority.

It wouldn't even be a Switch then, and why would they try to change the entire message, image, and philosophy of their console not even a year into its existence just because they have trouble getting parts for it.

Also for the current Switch, it wouldn't fit a HDD at the size and form factor it has.

extralite

It wouldn't even be a Switch then, and why would they try to change the entire message, image, and philosophy of their console not even a year into its existence just because they have trouble getting parts for it.
I agree. But the chance for a console only Switch variant (with a different name) has slightly increased thanks to the situation. From "probably never" to "still unlikely".

Also for the current Switch, it wouldn't fit a HDD at the size and form factor it has.
Since it would be dock (or rather case) only I'm sure that problem is solvable.

jts

...hate me...
Biggest problem with a home console HDD model is I think it would create meaningful performance disparity with the regular Switch.

Loading times up the wazoo.

jts

...hate me...
A home console only Switch wouldn't help at all in Japan.
I think they are desperate enough to buy the Switch in whatever form Nintendo could put out at the moment.

That being said, it's an awfully silly idea to even entertain.

I think they are desperate enough to buy the Switch in whatever form Nintendo could put out at the moment.

That being said, it's an awfully silly idea to even entertain.

Because the Switch's portability is a defining factor along with its games.

I agree. But the chance for a console only Switch variant (with a different name) has slightly increased thanks to the situation. From "probably never" to "still unlikely".

I mean you can say that about the Wii too, they had constant supply troubles. Doesn't mean they made a Wii that uses no wiimotes and only connected with gamecube controllers

Wamb0wneD

Considering this is supposed to replace both the Wii U and 3DS, I don't see anything impressive about this. Remember the NES classic that they purposely undershipped?

Switch is still tracking behind the Wii U, so too early to say that it will be more successful than that.

Nintendo only has 1 hardware to produce now instead of two, so what's wrong with them? Supply shouldn't be an issue at all. Look how many different hardware Sony and MS are producing. Take notes Nintendo.

Is this a fucking joke?A meme? I can't tell anymore. Help.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think there are a few factors at play here (leaving aside the obvious that its just a really popular system)

1- Obvious point is first- Nintendo completely screwed themselves over with Wii U shipments and were not going to make the same mistake again, hence the modest launch.

2-Production increases do not happen overnight.

3- I still maintained that Nintendo deciding to air ship systems for launch month somewhat messed with their supply chain for the near term.

4- Re: Japan- Splatoon 2 hits in 6 weeks followed soon by Monster Hunter. As others have said I wouldn't be surprised if they are already stockpiling units for Splatoon 2 launch.

One more general point- I read that article on competing with Apple for parts differently- I read that as Nintendo might struggle to hit 20M (which is an insane number for a 1st full year) because of competition- not that they aren't able to increase at all. I think whats going on right now is just the normal timeline of increasing production.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
The lotteries aren't new. My wife got lucky and managed to find a switch at the beginning of April at our local GEO. I had actually been in the same store the night before, but they didn't have any in stock. My wife just happened to walk by and decided to check. They'd received a few units that morning and still had one left. Lucky me.

Unfortunately, the store didn't have any copies of BOTW that day, so I stopped off at bic camera in Kawasaki on my way home that night. They were having a lottery that weekend.

extralite

I mean you can say that about the Wii too, they had constant supply troubles. Doesn't mean they made a Wii that uses no wiimotes and only connected with gamecube controllers

The Wii wasn't as supply constrained as the Switch is now though, I think.

I do think that releasing a variant (any variant) at this point in time would create more problems than it would solve. Their priority must be to increase production. Even taking a hit on cost would be a better strategy than a variant. I don't expect them to do that either, though.

Can't believe that people are still thinking this is intentional. Clearly Nintendo doesn't want to make money 😒
Judging from the influx of units available for the release week of MK8D, I'm guessing they're holding back to release a ton of them for Arms release week, and then again for Splatoon 2.

TehOh

I stood in line at a Bic Camera for one of those lotteries back in March. It was kind of fun. There were a couple of Pokestops and a gym in Pokemon Go, and a few people were playing in line.

Didn't win a Switch from it, but I went over to Yodobashi Camera after that and they just got their stock in. Got really lucky.

Top Bottom