• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As the NX reveal looms, what are your thoughts on the WiiU/3DS generation?

Vinnk

WiiU is my favorite console since the SNES. But I think I would have hated it as a teen/Uni Student. Now as a busy dad with a very demanding job, the off TV play and few but very high quality games were great for me. I never experienced a drought on the system because I finish games a lot slower these days. With less shovelware (since no third party support) almost every game I played was excellent.

Splatoon
Xenoblade X
Fatal Frame
Pikmin 3
Bayonetta 2
Mario 3D World
Captain Toad
Donkey Kong TF
Mario Kart 8
Wonderful 101
Zombie U
Tokyo Mirage Sessions

Just off the top of my head.

Such great games.

Also a great was to watch Netflix.

No regrets. LOVE the WiiU

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
The Wii U was a mistake, easily.

The specs, features gave 3rd parties a reason to not even care about it.

3DS was nice for what it was. Goes to show specs isnt everything when it destroyed the Vita in sales. Still like the Vita better overall tho.

Game wise they always hit a homerun. And I hope the success of Splatoon gives them courage to take chances on more new IP.

3DS was maybe not an overwhelming success but was successful from a software perspective despite some big odds against it

WiiU will historically be remembered as the second biggest mistake by Nintendo since the Virtual Boy. For all the third party support the Wii captured, the WiiU killed it all. There will likely still be a cult following for the system (as there is for all systems) because there are the handful of great stand-out titles on the system

I completely skipped this generation of Nintendo. I also skipped the Wii.

That being said, I've pretty excited for the NX. That Zelda hype.

Betty

Banned
3DS is my favourite handheld ever with some all time favourite titles like

- Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
- Animal Crossing New Leaf
- Zelda OOT
- Kingdom Hearts 3D
- Theathrym Final Fantasy
- Virtue's Last Reward
- Zelda A Link Between Worlds

Plus the great game boy advance games that early adopters got for free.

Wii U I got about 2 years into it's lifecycle and it was great at the start with Bayonetta 1 + 2, Mario 3D World, Zombie U, Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Bros and of course Smash.

But after those games I didn't touch my Wii U for over a year now, just like the Wii it's one of the most underplayed consoles I've ever owned.

The only two Nintendo consoles I never owned. And yes, that includes the Virtual Boy! Roll on the NX... I'm ready to thrown money at them again.

kitsuneyo

I loved my Wii U, for all its many weaknesses. Mario Kart 8, Nintendo Land, Bayonetta 2... there are tons of games I loved on this system. Thought Miiverse and the GamePad were great too.

As a 'generation', Wii U and 3DS were a relative failure for Nintendo, but weirdly I became a bigger Nintendo fan than ever over the past 5 years.

oni-link

I didn't have a 3DS but I loved the Wii U in terms of software

First party Nintendo still make some of the best games of all time

Regiruler

3DS has too much of a samey distribution compared to the cornucopia of genres represented on the DS. The lack of castlevanias and serious shmup attempts was a big loss. Has my favorite game of all time though.

Wii U has an edge over its predecessor due to platinum's involvement. Light gun games took a catastrophic hit as expected, however.

Hilarion

I enjoyed these two systems more thslan any other systems ever. The Wii U embraced the 2D platformer, the pinnacle of gaming, to a degree no system has since the SNES.

Wii U is easily the most satisfying console that I have ever owned, especially in my adult life. SNES is still my favorite childhood console and all of this is coming from someone who first started gaming on an Atari 2600.

The selection of games is stellar. The selections are some of the best I have ever played: Hyrule Warriors, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, Bayonetta 2 + 1 remaster, Zombi U, NintendoLand, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros., Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Mario Maker, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Yoshi's Woolly World, Paper Mario: Color Splash, Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water, Star Fox Zero (regardless of your opinion, it is not my opinion), Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and quite a few others.

Even games such as Need for Speed: Most Wanted U, Rayman Legends and Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut are claimed to be the definitive editions by their respective developers.

Games with extra Nintendo love such as Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition and Bayonetta 1/2 showed how Nintendo can collaborate with third parties in a fun and successful way.

New IP such as Splatoon shows that Nintendo's youthful up and coming developers can provide new and fresh ideas to the gaming world.

I will even admit that Assassin's Creed: Black Flag, Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition and Mass Effect 3 - Special Edition showed GREAT use of the GamePad and utilized its features very nicely.

All in all, my (tied for first) favorite console of all time and I haven't even started to talk about the Indies yet...

Alrus

The 3DS was a great handheld with a lot of absolutely stellar software on it. It had a terrible start due to a very unexciting launch lineup at too high a price. While not a successful as its predecessor it still managed to foster a healthy user base, and even managed to revitalize previously near dead franchises. It can be qualified as a success overall.

The Wii U was a complete misstep by Nintendo, from the specs to the botched announcement that was confusing and unexciting to the insane price for what it was offering. Despite that it is the home of some of Nintendo's best offerings in years. The fact that Splatoon ended up being a massive success despite the tiny and mostly apathetic userbase is nothing short of a miracle. Can you imagine how insane the game would have done on a platform with Wii level of sales? Wasted potential all around.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Wii U wasn't a very good system. The hardware was fundamentally flawed, and the software library outside of a few titles (I do mean few) places it dead last among any Nintendo console.

Ammogeddon

Apart from a little dalliance with the GameCube I haven't indulged in a Nintendo console since the N64. I'm hoping the NX is compelling enough to jump in.

I was 10x happier with the Wii U output than I was with the Wii.

Sure, my PS4/Xb1 libraries numbers-wise beat it down, but top 5 from each console in a triple threat match? 3D World, Splatoon, Kart 8, Bayonetta and Mario Maker win.

And I not even a Nintendo fan necessarily.

I enjoyed my time with both systems, in-spite of everything that had happened.

There were some misfires like Federation Force, but then there's still lots of gems like Mario 3D Land & World, Splatoon, Kid Icarus Uprising, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, Smash 4, Mario Kart 7 & 8, Fire Emblem games, etc.

The WiiU tablet is a fun frisbee to toss around at least. 3DS honestly did a lot better. I played a couple of fun titles on it and am looking forward to Sun/Moon. I even completed the demo last night.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I've never played a system less than the WiiU. Just sold it last month as well, so: winning.

3DS is alright. I quite like the 3D gimmick, so when games stopped even bothering to do that I have enjoyed it less.

NX/hybrid is what I've been saying they should do for 10 years. We'll see if its enough to keep them in the hardware biz.

entremet

The bolded need to freaking stop. No gaming system ever had moved units at the rate the DS did. The DS at it peak was did almost 30 million yearly for 3 consecutive years. No game console have ever sold at that rate before. Not the Playstation 2 not the Playstation 1 nor even the Wii! Hell not even Neogaf beloved Playsation 4 will move that many units.
I would agree. I was just using objective metrics.

vall03

Man, I'm seeing a lot of negativity here. Personally, I played a lot of great games on both systems, most especially on the 3DS. That's all that matters to me to say that both are great systems.

Enjoy both.

Hardware is shitty (region lock, 3ds battery life), and online infrastructure is ... It is what it is.
But I played both systems far more than my ps4.

poncle

I hate the 3DS screen.
System software is sluggish and unbearable on both 3DS and WiiU.
Uninspiring hardware overall.

Yet the WiiU is the only console that runs Bayonetta 2, so I really can't say I didn't like it.

Wii U was a decent console with some great titles. It couldn't replicate the Wii's appeal to the mass market crowd that typically doesn't play video games and a lot of the more enthusiast crowd has either never been big into Nintendo at this point or jumped into other ecosystems.

ehead

Enjoyed the 3DS greatly. MonHun games are more than enough for me to have the system. Plus, having DS backwards compatibility helped me experience the games I've missed.

Wii U is an okay machine. I played it for a year or two then stopped. Off-tv function was and still is a great function. It definitely had great games which I feel will be buried in history together with the system unless they'll be re-releasing it.

Nintendo 3DS was great, even as i stayed away from it to focus on single player console games I admire the quality of its games, I mean, you have 3 different zeldas AND 3 different monster hunters and to play in it

Wii U had good exclusives, but thats all it had

Alrus

Wii U wasn't a very good system. The hardware was fundamentally flawed, and the software library outside of a few titles (I do mean few) places it dead last among any Nintendo console.

I agree on the hardware (it's Nintendo's worst offering yet in that regard) but I wholly disagree on the software. First party offering for the Wii U was overall better than the GC at least.

3DS was pretty good library wise. The hardware sucked to me compared to Vita whose hardware I adore.

Wii U is an abortion. I bought it, played some games, never wanted to touch it again despite there being games I kind of wanted to play.

They were amazing systems, some of the best Nintendo has ever produced. They were a little weak but there were numerous of pretty and engaging games in each despite that. Cannot wait to see what they do on NX.

Wii U had a terrible gimmick which hindered it from day 1. Nobody gave a shit about the gamepad before launch, during its life, or now after its death.

It had some fantastic games, however, and has more great exclusives than both the PS4 and X1 combined.

Captain Toad motherfuckers.

Captain Toad.

Maiar_m

It cemented my whole opinion that "hardcore gamers" are not interested in game variety and plurality of gameplay approaches and are too busy worrying about appearances to enjoy the richness of their medium.

That salt aside, I really enjoyed the 3DS for what it was, a DS successor. The WiiU had some of my favourite couch-coop games and that's all I wanted it to be. I look forward to the NX as a way to merge both branches and provide both great solo and coop games within a compelling, different package complementing what my PS4 offers already.

KaneU

Love the Wii U, the games are incredible, Mario Kart 8 is my most played game ever! My only complaint is that there was no Metroid game and that we still have to wait so long for a original Zelda.
I just hate the 3DS hardware. It was extremely dated the day it came out, and it's absolutely terrible by today's standards.

I don't really have any fondness for the 3DS like I did the DS. It has a good library of games, but the form factor and design has been quite unlikeable to me - The first one was hideous and I was happy to wait for the next hardware revision. I bought the XL and thought it was bulky and felt like a toy, I also think the build is quite flimsy.
I don't own, but have used many times the N3DS and it is the best physically of all the 3DS models, but still I think the DS Lite was just so nice, I still think it's their best handheld.

The Wii U?....
tumblr_nkjy99xSsZ1qcluu2o1_500.gif

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I agree on the hardware (it's Nintendo's worst offering yet in that regard) but I wholly disagree on the software. First party offering for the Wii U was overall better than the GC at least.

That is a valid argument. The only one I could entertain because the GC first party releases were less that spectacular. But the SNES and N64 were epic when it came to first party releases.

Both had awful struggling first years , didn't get started until super Mario 3D land and Pikmin 3 for me

That being said they turned it around with so many good games but the lesson I learned is not to buy the next system day 1
Zelda will be on Wii u and I'll play that and get NX during the holidays of 2017 , it'll be on sale X have game bundles :D

Bought every Nintendo console / handheld at launch since the release of Snes / Gameboy Pocket, and was pretty eager about the Wii U at first. But I just never ever felt like pulling the trigger on it...even with all the price cuts (and the price was slashed completely in UK)

The Wii U elicits no response whatsoever from me, I don't have positive or negative opinions on it, and I'm not sure why. Pikmin looked cool, 2D and 3D Mario looked cool, Smash looked fine, MK looked fine that Donkey Kong one looked like a good improvement over the Wii one.

Even my 3DS, which I had a ball with back when Zelda and Bravely default came out, just kinda sits there these days. The reason I'm excited for NX is because I'm hoping it will confirm or deny whether I'm just burnt out on Nintendo.

I hope it's a case of "it's me, not you" lol, because I really would love to become immersed in Nintendo games again.

TL;DR I felt no need to buy a Wii U, and have been out of the loop for like 4 years when it comes to Nintendo's console offerings.

RK128

I never purchased a Wii U but I respect how it offers some of Nintendo's best games regarding 3D Mario, Mario Kart and some creative IP (Splatoon and #FE come to mind). But the lack of major third party support killed any momentum for the console and Nintendo's poor decisions with the system put themselves into a corner; they had to support it but also had the more successful 3DS to fall back-on.

They had to more or less develop an even amount of games across two very different platforms and we saw the results of this quite clearly over the years. Games like Mario Tennis Ultra Smash looking rushed and how bland Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival come to mind.

The 3DS is currently going out strong, with a lot of great games and some of Nintendo's best being on the device (KI: Uprising, the two 2D Kirby's, and Majora's Mask 3D are some of my favorite Nintendo games this generation).

But one thing I thought about Nintendo this generation is two words; Mismanagement IPs. They had no idea what to do with franchises like Star Fox and Metroid, leading with two releases that either heavily divided gamers with it's controls (Star Fox Zero) or has a good deal of people loathing the damn game (Federation Force). I would lump Paper Mario into this, but Color Splash ended up being a damn solid game based on impressions, so not fair to lump that series into this (though I hope they make a proper RPG to make the fans of the original games happy).

With the NX, I want Nintendo to reflect on past moves and decisions....heavily. They need to knock it out of the park this time out so I really hope they know what they are doing.

Guevara

What can you say, really?

I never bought either platform, and I was never really tempted.

Maybe I'll get a 3DS one day for Zelda: Link Between Worlds.

AmyS

Loved 3DS love its games, my favorite handheld.

Mostly hated Wii U - a few great games but the main idea behind it was never really used, The Gamepad was an absolute clunky waste of plastic. Horrible screen. Nintendo would've been better off making a stonger console, a highly refined but conventional controller, and building up their online infrastructure. Wii U's greatest feat was
outselling the Sega Dreamcast.

RK128

PSY・S;220849121 said:
what are the great first party 3ds titles?

Stuff like the following:
-Kid Icarus Uprising
-Smash 3DS
-Kirby Triple Deluxe
-Kirby Planet Robobot
-Mario 3D Land
-Mario Kart 7
-N64 Remakes (Star Fox 64 3D, Majora's Mask 3D, OoT 3D)
-Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon
-(Square Enix) Bravely Default
-(Capcom) Ace Attorney

Top Bottom