• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ascendant Studios(Immortals of Aveum developer) lays off half its staff due to poor Immortals of Aveum sales.

tmlDan

Imagine if Naughty Dog was forced to close after the first Uncharted instead of giving them a second chance to absolutely nail it.
that's what came to mind when everyone was shitting on it, sometimes the new IP can become something amazing but this is the state of the industry and people are acting like its not the gamers fault.

The entire gaming consumer base has changed from what it used to be, even 7's had an audience

Zuzu

I intend to buy this game at some point. Doom style combat in combination with metroidvania design sounds great to me. It’s a shame that it bombed but it’s not surprising because there seemed to be little interest in the game across the internet.

Last edited:
Reactions: WoJ

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Imagine if Naughty Dog was forced to close after the first Uncharted instead of giving them a second chance to absolutely nail it.
This.
Uncharted 1 is kinda awful... and spawned some of best games ever made.

Games take years to make. Immortals to 5 years to develop. Crazy. Game dev is huge risk nowadays.
Mass effect, gears, uncharted.... all took 2 years per game to make.... and much lower budgets. And these were top AAA games at a time.

Look at rockstar? They made 20 games in the same timespand they made 2 in last 10 years

xrnzaaas

You launch at 70 because you don’t want to give the impression your game is “lesser” than others at 70. Same reason all the crap Android flagships with OEM parts have the same price as an iPhone only to get slashed by half 6 months after launch.
The problem is that it's a brand new IP with a forgettable title, limited target audience and high system requirements (and awful resolutions on the consoles). No one's going to remember or care about it when it goes on sale 6 months later.

Aside from a lower starting price (maybe like 40-50) they should've moved the release schedule and gave people either a demo or a trial.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The problem is that it's a brand new IP with a forgettable title, limited target audience and high system requirements (and awful resolutions on the consoles). No one's going to remember or care about it when it goes on sale 6 months later.

Aside from a lower starting price (maybe like 40-50) they should've moved the release schedule and gave people either a demo or a trial.
Enough with the fucking 70$. It's fucking 2023 and everything doubled or tripled price in last 2 years alone.... 70 is fine.

And what about the game failed? It's hard to tell.
Limited target audience ?! They targeted Doom and metroidvania audiences... and pushed tech with ue5. The game should be THE BOMB on pc at the very least.

draliko

maybe next time make fun games, and embark on AAA title (whit stupid high requirements) when you can handle the consequences... if you put your live on a single game better make it good, not just flashy

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
maybe next time make fun games, and embark on AAA title (whit stupid high requirements) when you can handle the consequences... if you put your live on a single game better make it good, not just flashy
Newst tech, UE5. You would think pc gamers would be ALL OVER IT.
The game scales great on new hardware and older too.
It runs better than starfield lol

proandrad

They should have put out a demo before release. 70$ is a lot to spend on a new IP gamers aren’t sure about. For about a month I actually thought it was just a sequel to lichdom battlemage.

draliko

Edit: At least I put my money where my foot is. in my mouth(or something like that). I've bought Forspoken and This on ps5 full price on release. I support these type of games and devs
this speaks only about your taste, nothing else to be proud of.. everyone of us puts his money where he think should go...

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
They should have put out a demo before release. 70$ is a lot to spend on a new IP gamers aren’t sure about. For about a month I actually thought it was just a sequel to lichdom battlemage.
yeah 100%.
Marketing was terrible. I cannot argue with that...
but then.. forspoken had a demo. A terrible demo haha. really bad demo and I loved the full game

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
this speaks only about your taste, nothing else to be proud of.. everyone of us puts his money where he think should go...
What do you have against my taste?
I have a poor taste because I don't gobble up gaas games and all this other crap!?
I have a bad taste because I cherrish new SP games which remind me of golden days of 360/ps3 era?

yeah... my taste is so bad... I am honestly offended. I think it got to do with young gamers being fucked with gaas for so long, that they grew attached to this model.

Reactions: WoJ
Honestly, the game screamed limited appeal. The visual art design was all over the place and the magic-based FPS combat didn't look cool at all. It just looked awkward and dopey AF.

If you think about WRPG games where you can pick a class, how many people actually will pick a class that is a magic user only? Consider how niche that is, then consider that this studio thought "You know what... let's make a whole game out of the single least popular class in WRPG games".

If you're gonna do a game with a fantasy setting, the vast majority of gamers want to be able to brandish a sword. Maybe it's the phallic shape---I dunno---but boys and their swords are a thing. It was dumb to go against that grain and make an entire game out of it.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I feel like too many games lately are using newer engine tech as a huge crutch. As a byproduct, a lot of them are looking very similar.

This game visually has zero style and just blends into the pack of AA games that are trying to look AAA.

draliko

What do you have against my taste?
I have a poor taste because I don't gobble up gaas games and all this other crap!?
I have a bad taste because I cherrish new SP games which remind me of golden days of 360/ps3 era?

yeah... my taste is so bad... I am honestly offended. I think it got to do with young gamers being fucked with gaas for so long, that they grew attached to this model.
i'm not commenting your taste, i sincerely caouldn't care less, i'm saying that everyone of us buys the games we like, so it's only natural that we put our money where our mouth is... nothing to be proud of

Last edited:
I took a real look at it like yesterday due to Rofif's word of mouth. It honestly doesn't look too bad.

Everything in that game looked like it was designed by an AI. No soul at all.
Does it though? There are worse examples out there.

I get why people would say that though. Especially, since its coming from EA's publishing house. So, some people may auto-assume it'll devoid of any imagination from the get-go.

Medicore didn't used to mean zero people buy it and you close the studio after 1 game. You graduate from mediocre to great through experience.
This is actually a good point. Where the fuck do people think some of these long running great studios came from? Most didn't get a break out hit from the onset.

bender

What time is it?
Then you have Shadow Gambit. It actually launched at $40 new which is a fantastic price and it reviewed extremely well (I got the game for both reasons). But that studio just went out of business too this year.

I've never even heard of this game. And to be fair, I'd never heard of Immortals of Aveum either until it released and we had threads dogging on its' performance/visuals. Discovery is a problem these days and considering the subject of this thread has EA as a publisher, it just makes me scratch my head.

tryDEATH

The game didn't look bad, but it just looked like the creative choice made seemed to be very safe, especially the art direction for me were too playful and colorful. They tried going to the mass appeal approach considering its a new IP, but at the same time made it not stand out enough.

Tedditalk

Mediocre game gets mediocre sales. It was clear as day this would happen. Nobody ever wanted to play a first-person magic shooter.

Speak for yourself, I was very interested in the concept as there not alot of single player triple A shooters. My issue is the price tag, the writing, and the amount of content in the game. I'm sad to see this happen, but the value proposition was terrible relative to what was around it.

Thief1987

2023 first person godfall.

Pretends To Be Shocked Fake Shock GIF by AIDES

The survival of mediocre games and studios is not critical to the overall health of the industry. Devs should be competing against each other and propelling one another forward (innovating and striving for excellence), not basking in mediocrity and coasting thanks to subscription service payouts.
Don't mind him, he is just fullfiling his gamepass ad daily quota.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

You can't be asking anyone to pay $70 and not be putting out a banger.

I call this the greed cycle, pubishers rush these soulless games out the door, devs are content with just good enough results, then people wonder why people get laid off when the game doesn't sell so well.

You could have picked out any 8 random posters on GAF and they would have told you not just how the game would score but how it would sell. How did the publishers/devs not see this?

MarkMe2525

2023 first person godfall.

Pretends To Be Shocked Fake Shock GIF by AIDES

The survival of mediocre games and studios is not critical to the overall health of the industry. Devs should be competing against each other and propelling one another forward (innovating and striving for excellence), not basking in mediocrity and coasting thanks to subscription service payouts.
I don't agree, devs have to cut their teeth somewhere. Ideas have to be explored and iterated on. Literally no other creative industry works as you described. Tv, books, movies. There are always levels to them.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

that's what came to mind when everyone was shitting on it, sometimes the new IP can become something amazing but this is the state of the industry and people are acting like its not the gamers fault.

The entire gaming consumer base has changed from what it used to be, even 7's had an audience
That's the reviewers' fault. They have used score inflation to condition the market. If they score games like SF,HZFW, Ratchet a 7... and stuff like Elden ring and GOWR an 8...etc. Gamers would have more respect for scores like 7 and would be willing to try even 6s.

But those stupid reviewers have this way of scoring everything between 85-100. EVERYTHING. So now even an 80 is considered a poor score.

And this was bound to happen, you can't have a review system that consolidates reviews from 10s to 100s of outlets but not have a standard or criteria by which these reviewers are supposed to operate within. You just end up with sensationalist knee-jerk grading.

Denton

Exactly what I predicted before launch, this game, Atlas Fallen and others that cost a lot to make, but get 6 or 7s in reviews and come out close to heavy hitters like BG3, do not stand a chance. It is what it is. Hopefully all laid off get work quickly, most studios are constantly on the lookout for skilled devs.

Jinzo Prime

Does it though? There are worse examples out there.

I get why people would say that though. Especially, since its coming from EA's publishing house. So, some people may auto-assume it'll devoid of any imagination from the get-go.

The EA part doesn't factor into my opinion about the game. It doesn't look "generic", it looks "stitched together" from other, better ideas and sanitized, hence the AI jab.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Speak for yourself, I was very interested in the concept as there not alot of single player triple A shooters. My issue is the price tag, the writing, and the amount of content in the game. I'm sad to see this happen, but the value proposition was terrible relative to what was around it.
Alright, Tedditalk is the one human being interested in this.

Happy?

Wildebeest

Dead Space was a Resident Evil 4 clone with mediocre commercial performance and far less critical acclaim than RE4. I don't get why investors were suddenly so hyped up to fund games by people who worked on it.

Holammer

I haven't played it, but the game looked wrong and the Marvel style trailer made me cringe. Who thought it was a good idea to make a realistic looking setting and then wash it in bright pastel neon colours for special effects?

I'm sure the devs saw the writing at the wall during development and sent out plenty of resumes before the game even launched.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Exactly what I predicted before launch, this game, Atlas Fallen and others that cost a lot to make, but get 6 or 7s in reviews and come out close to heavy hitters like BG3, do not stand a chance. It is what it is. Hopefully all laid off get work quickly, most studios are constantly on the lookout for skilled devs.
And we know what this means. Games will try to imitate bg3 by badly adding tens of hours of content. This isn’t direction I am excited industry of heading towards

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You can't be asking anyone to pay $70 and not be putting out a banger.

I call this the greed cycle, pubishers rush these soulless games out the door, devs are content with just good enough results, then people wonder why people get laid off when the game doesn't sell so well.

You could have picked out any 8 random posters on GAF and they would have told you not just how the game would score but how it would sell. How did the publishers/devs not see this?
70 is fine considering Games take 5 years and everything doubled in price in last 2 years… 70 feels like it should be 170 if it was like GPUs or other stuff.

But anyway. Game was 50 on cdkeys pc and 60 on ps5 physical. Fuck psn prices

Fbh

And at least based on Steam data this bombed on a whole other level than Atlas Fallen.
Atlas Fallen had an all time peak of 2679 players and currently has 103 people playing
Immortals had an all time peak of just 751 players and currently has only 35 people playing.

This might be one of the biggest bombs of recent times,

70 is fine considering Games take 5 years and everything doubled in price in last 2 years… 70 feels like it should be 170 if it was like GPUs or other stuff.

Why does a game like this take 5 years to make though?

Mr.Phoenix

If you are talking about actual real-world pricing, $70 is perfect. But when considering social pricing, $70 is atrocious.

For the simple reason that $70, is $20 more than what would be considered as impulse buying for games ($50). $60 was already pushing it, but $70? Naaa, at that price there is way more scrutiny involved with each purchase and even more expectation.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I don't regret picking it up at launch at full price and I had a great time playing all the way through it. But I can see why this flopped so hard. Today's market is an incredibly competitive one, and they just sort of squirted this thing out without much fanfare. And it's a new FPS IP set in some oddball fantasy setting with magic instead of guns, no demo, poor marketing (even Gman didn't look at it and he's THE first-person shooter guy you want reviewing your new FPS game), and launch window sandwiched in between a couple of highly anticipated GOTY contenders...

At the same time, it's pretty annoying to see, because for all the talk about the lack of innovation or shift towards increasingly bloated games that take hundreds of hours to finish and offer shallow experiences, here comes a game with triple-A production values that is exactly the answer to generic and bloated game design by offering a tighter, more focused, story driven experience in a unique new setting, and everyone just shits on it and nobody played it.

Just keep that in mind the next time you complain about repetitive and bloated open world game #475 that comes out in the upcoming months.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nothing looked appealing in this, which is strange for me because I love high fantasy.
You tried it maybe?
I've yet to really play thig. Only installed and played few minutes. Seems fine. I am waiting for HDR patch though in the time I play Lies of P.

Uncharted 1 sold 5 million copies... and was one of the best-selling PS3 games...

Yeah, it's definitely rough around the edges, but they knew what they had in that franchise and it was still a hit game.

dotnotbot

So EA was ready to sink money into this but not in a Tiberian Sun and/or Red Alert 2 remaster...

What's funny is they labeled this as "EA Originals":

EA Originals is about three things:

First, it is about taking first-time experiences that are unique, gorgeous, innovative and memorable, and bringing them to the world.

Last edited:

Myths

Read the synopsis, sounds generic in many ways including terminology/nomenclature. Always have I found it interesting when devs set such a high bar for entry into studios/staff yet their output is nowhere near as impressive.

I quite like the premise of a sci-fi FPS with magic instead of guns so I still want to pick this one up, at least once it gets on a decent sale. I just couldn't justify paying the full €80 for it day one considering the middling reviews it got.

Last edited:
Gotta agree that a lower price would have helped along with an almost mandatory need for a demo. Sadly they were stuck in one of the worse years to launch this. Last year or maybe even 2024 would have worked out more in their favor.

Rickyiez

1. I think launching a new IP without a demo is almost always tough. People are more and more conservative with their taste these days and more accustomed to sticking with what they already know than decades past when I feel it was easier to launch new IP. You game still has to be great and have a good impression in the demo too, or you end up like Forspoken.
  2. Launching a new IP at $70 is also tough. People still haven't normalized $70 no matter what anyone tells you. They expect only the top of the heap for that price, and any new IP is going to have a tough time convincing people they're worth that when people know they can wait for a likely price cut.
Demo, and don't launch at 70. Even then, you may still fail due to how conservative gamers taste is these days.
Didn't help that it looks extremely generic as well

Top Bottom