• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian and Mixed-Race People are the Fastest Growing Segments of US Population

Rainy

Banned
America's diversity remains on the rise, with all racial and ethnic minorities growing faster than whites from 2015 to 2016, the U.S. Census Bureau says in a new snapshot of the national population. The agency also found the U.S. median age has risen to nearly 38.

Asian and mixed-race people are the two fastest-growing segments of the U.S. population, the U.S. Census Bureau says. Both groups grew by 3 percent from July 2015 to July 2016. In the same 12 months, the non-Hispanic white population grew by just 5,000 people.

Non-Hispanic whites remain the only segment of the U.S. population where deaths outpace births, the agency reports.

"While all other groups experienced natural increase (having more births than deaths) between 2015 and 2016," the Census says, "the non-Hispanic white alone group experienced a natural decrease of 163,300 nationally."

Non-Hispanic whites remain the largest group of Americans, at 198 million, the Census says, followed by Hispanics at 57.5 million and blacks or African-Americans, at 46.8 million.

The Asian population grew by 3.0 percent to 21.4 million.
People who identified as being of two or more races grew by 3.0 percent to 8.5 million.
The Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander population grew by 2.1 percent to 1.5 million.
The Hispanic population (including all races) grew by 2.0 percent to 57.5 million.
The American Indian and Alaska Native population grew by 1.4 percent to 6.7 million.
The black or African-American population grew by 1.2 percent to 46.8 million.
The white population grew by 0.5 percent to 256.0 million.
The non-Hispanic white alone population grew by 5,000 people, remaining at 198.0 million.

Also, information about aging.

1498080228882.jpg

Source

Mixed race growing quickly shouldn't be a surprise.

Soon nearly everyone will be mixed race to some degree and then there's no avoiding it.

Laiza

Mixed race growing quickly shouldn't be a surprise.

Soon nearly everyone will be mixed race to some degree and then there's no avoiding it.
I dnno, "in several generations" isn't really what I'd call "soon".

Though if that whole immortality thing shakes out... then yeah, it could very well be considered "soon".

Zoe

Am I doing my math wrong, cause the white numbers don't seem to add up with the Hispanic numbers.

Eylos

Banned
I find intriguing that exists white hispanics and non hispanics, Like a sub Group of white

If It's a white from spain its a white because It's Europe? or its a hispanic?

Looks to me that the white folk of us dont want to get confused with the white latin americans

Anyway
Mixed Future IS the best future

Zoe

I find intriguing that exists white hispanics and non hispanics, Like a sub Group of white

If It's a white from spain its a white because It's Europe? or its a hispanic?

Looks to me that the white folk of us dont want to get confused with the white latin americans

Anyway
Mixed Future IS the best future

Hispanic isn't a race, it's an ethnicity. If you come from a Spanish-speaking culture, you're expected to check the Hispanic box no matter what your race is.

Blues1990

Go on ahead. Most Caucasians have screwed up the planet ten-fold, so I'm fine if we wither away to the history books in a century or two.

Top Bottom