• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian and Mixed-Race People are the Fastest Growing Segments of US Population

Metroxed

They're two different metrics.

Edit: didn't get what you were saying at first. Simply put, because Hispanic whites are rarely treated like whites.

People like Guillermo del Toro, Charlie Sheen or Pau Gasol are rarely treated as white?

Isotropy

Ali Wong: Baby Cobra

Saw her live just acouple weeks ago in Vancouver. Got a poster with that exact quote. Makes it all the better when people come over and see it, seeing as I'm a brown dude with a white girlfriend.

What a nice way to alude to your girlfriend..

S-Wind

Holy shit!

So now there's ALMOST half as many Asian Americans as there are African Americans!

HOLY FUCK are we ever under-represented in American media!!!

Zen Aku

8dfcynd.png

This is apt.

Holy shit!

So now there's ALMOST half as many Asian Americans as there are African Americans!

What about that cute Asian American lady, or that other cute Asian American lady?

(I don't actually know names but I bet there is and that's all there is)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Mixed-Hispanic here. Also white though. Sure aren't many mixed people in the northeastern US...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I thought you were already mixed race?

Aren't you Scot-ish?

huehuehuehuehuehue

It's important to note that when I make a baby with an Asian lady, the result is basically a Mexican. The number of Mexican moms who grab her cheeks and start with the "conchita..." is pretty rad. She also speaks great Spanish because she's in language immersion school, so it's even more confusing. Hadrian's Great Wall of China just got higher!

Holy shit!

I don't necessarily think media has to be exactly represented by demographics. However systemic racism issues preventing opportunities for underrepresented groups need to be fixed.

Izuna

Banned
Keep making Eurasian girls please. Seriously. Keep going. Please.

El Scorcho, is that you?

--

being mixed made 23andme completely fucking useless. I complained to them and they just said to get my whole lineage offering up their DNA so they can figure it out. pfft

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Ali Wong: Baby Cobra

Saw her live just acouple weeks ago in Vancouver. Got a poster with that exact quote. Makes it all the better when people come over and see it, seeing as I'm a brown dude with a white girlfriend.

:emojibrownfist:

we keep doin gods work.

El Scorcho, is that you?

--

being mixed made 23andme completely fucking useless. I complained to them and they just said to get my whole lineage offering up their DNA so they can figure it out. pfft

I was thinking of trying this, but after hearing this I'm having second thoughts. Have you had any success with other DNA services?

Why Put ethnicity in Race?

Hispanics tend to vary as being White/Caucasian, Black (especially in countries like Brazil), Native American (regardless of the differences in culture, the native people of the Americas, North AND South, share common origins) and those mixed between two of them (Native American and White mix; Native American and Black mix), or all three of them.

I'm Mexican and Native American (Navajo), and what "European parts" that make me up do show themselves. Some of my relatives are dark skinned (I'm brown, myself), others could pass off for being White.

I'm all for mixed races! Not just because I'm a result of that (well, its in my DNA, having had one of those tests done to determine "what percentage of what" you are, I've discovered that I'm not only part Native American, part-Iberian European, but part-Mediterranean European, part-European Jew, part-Eastern European and part-Black. The only thing I'm not is part-Northern European), a conspiracy theorist part of me believes that's the way, maybe, mankind SHOULD evolve towards. It's my nutjob theory of "Reverse-Babel".

Mixed race growing quickly shouldn't be a surprise.

Soon nearly everyone will be mixed race to some degree and then there's no avoiding it.

This is often stated but I have to ask please define "soon" cause Brazil has been at it for 300 years and there are still distinct ethnic groups in Brazil…

Unless you mean "mixed" as in you can find traces of other groups within your DNA which for many groups is basically right now.

Izuna

Banned
I was thinking of trying this, but after hearing this I'm having second thoughts. Have you had any success with other DNA services?

Well, I can post the 23andme response if I look for it, but they pretty much have no Caribean data so they "guess" it's West African.

They have different levels of certainty too and will default to 50% certainty which basically means they guess what they don't know (so it popped out like almost 50% West African, which is hilarious if you have ever seen my Mother).

Even found a cousin on the site who definitely has Cuban heritage, and yet it showed fuck all for them too.

I think 46% unknown is unacceptable. Maybe in the future, they'll update their data, but for now, it's not worth it if you're mixed af.

I've also read a bunch of complaints from Jamaican people.

Measley

Do mixed-race people get along? Like is there racism between black/Asian mixed people and white/Asian mixed people?

Izuna

Banned
Eventually there will be less white people than another group of people. Then white people will be a minority.

Sorry, read too much into your comment and thought "all the benefits" meant you think there were benefits to being a minority. There's a right-wing sentiment that it reminded me of.

Do mixed-race people get along? Like is their racism between black/Asian mixed people and white/Asian mixed people?

From what I understand (myself, my family, and all the other mixed raced people I've met). Mixed raced people are less likely to think race means fuck all.

Well, I can post the 23andme response if I look for it, but they pretty much have no Caribean data so they "guess" it's West African.

They have different levels of certainty too and will default to 50% certainty which basically means they guess what they don't know (so it popped out like almost 50% West African, which is hilarious if you have ever seen my Mother).

Even found a cousin on the site who definitely has Cuban heritage, and yet it showed fuck all for them too.

I think 46% unknown is unacceptable. Maybe in the future, they'll update their data, but for now, it's not worth it if you're mixed af.

I've also read a bunch of complaints from Jamaican people.

That's unfortunate. $99 should get you better than those odds. Mixed af or not. I imagine it's similar odds for Ancestry DNA services too.

Izuna

Banned
That's unfortunate. $99 should get you better than those odds. Mixed af or not. I imagine it's similar odds for Ancestry DNA services too.

pffft

$99

yeah, sure

Why though? We're all urbanized now, so it's not like there's a practical reason. And especially with younger people you constantly hear about how it's expensive to raise a child or they're just not interested in the idea.

so there's this stereotype

but I'm sure it's because mixed raced babies are the fucking cutest

Rachel Bloom knows this

(also, we become less and less like potatoes so we might withstand the next epidemic)

Izuna

Banned
oh shit you did the $199 gig? That sucks. Did you try and get a refund?

It happens far too much that I don't see how they would process the refund. Especially since I paid via Amazon.

Besides, it was fun to talk to a bunch of white af American cousins. It seems my ancestors on my Dad's side are mostly traitors.

Platy

Didn't white supremacists love Asians ?

Would be ironically hilarious if they are the ones that erase pure whiteness from America xD

eizarus

Banned
Why though? We're all urbanized now, so it's not like there's a practical reason. And especially with younger people you constantly hear about how it's expensive to raise a child or they're just not interested in the idea.
Stab in the dark, but I'm guessing cultures and religions play a fairly large role. I assume it's the same in America as it is in Britain, where an amalgam culture forms in a lot of immigrant communities (specially following the migrating generation) of the old and new.

From what I understand (myself, my family, and all the other mixed raced people I've met). Mixed raced people are less likely to think race means fuck all.

From my experiences it depends upon where they live, how the mixed person looks and how society defines them. If a black/asian mixed person still has Brown skin and looks African American, more than likely she'll identify with Black culture more and herself as being Black. Not to mention enjoying the benefit of their social status within that community as "exotic".

It honestly depends on why you think mixed is good, especially if that mix is with a White person.
I wish I could say that there was no reason in specific. All three of my children are the product of half-white parents that have dealt with the bullshit of being seen one way or another, and sometimes treated differently (and worse) by family and others simply because we were mixed. My feeling about being mixed is good is because I feel good as a mixed person and my wife does, too, and we try to imprint that on them so that they can more easily cope with whatever uncertainty they may face about themselves when people try to use that against them. They won't have the more racially divided makeup of family members that I did growing up, that's certain. It's got nothing to do with blending in as a white person and avoiding the systemic and basic societal issues of racism and bigotry as my kids could never really pass as white. They're going to deal with shit, and my oldest daughter already has.

Measley

Didn't white supremacists love Asians ?

Would be ironically hilarious if they are the ones that erase pure whiteness from America xD

No, they use Asians as a wedge against other minorities. They have some pretty twisted views on Asian people, and white people who date and marry people of Asian heritage.

Top Bottom