• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Today's pickups. They were passing out samples of some korean latte, taste pretty good so I picked up a few. With the recent chat about Ramune I decided to pick up one. I haven't tried Ramune before btw...

VffntBy.jpg

Where are my fellow dog beater/poisoner/eaters at?

Lol that thread. Such racism, glad to see people get the hammer though.

The weird thing about that is in Hawaii the Filipinos are called the "dog eaters" by the other local asians.

I had relatives tell me they used to eat dog and monkey back in Philippines. This was back in the 60s-70s though.

Esch

Banned
yep. had gator a few times and it's good. it's like a mix of shrimp and chicken.

I had alligator bulgogi once in florida lol

jasonng

Where are my fellow dog beater/poisoner/eaters at?

Lol that thread. Such racism, glad to see people get the hammer though.
This might be awkward to bring up but I've always wanted to say this.

A while ago we've played Borderlands together and you were having lag issues. You told me it was your family and I remember jokingly saying they must be watching their TVB dramas. Not long after that my mother needed help installing her TVpad and now when I'm over it's just... Ugh. I just want to say now I get it.

The weird thing about that is in Hawaii the Filipinos are called the "dog eaters" by the other local asians.

I had relatives tell me they used to eat dog and monkey back in Philippines. This was back in the 60s-70s though.

In the provinces yeah. It's not as rampant as before since mostly everyone's migrating to the cities, but out in the middle of nowhere... well, you've gotta eat somehow.

I think gator is sometimes eaten in the southern US? Let me know if I'm wrong here, southerners. lol

Gator is delicious. Tastes like chicken that got boiled in fish stock.

I had it at a restaurant in Galveston and yeah for the most part it's more of a "touristy" meal.

JoeFu

Banned
This might be awkward to bring up but I've always wanted to say this.

A while ago we've played Borderlands together and you were having lag issues. You told me it was your family and I remember jokingly saying they must be watching their TVB dramas. Not long after that my mother needed help installing her TVpad and now when I'm over it's just... Ugh. I just want to say now I get it.

Hahahahahaha yeah it's awful. The lag caused by watching drama makes me hate everything.

Ochi

Neo Member
That said in a few very fancy Chinese restaurants they serve alligator for those willing to pay for it.

I think gator is sometimes eaten in the southern US? Let me know if I'm wrong here, southerners. lol

Yeah they do, (I'd almost forgotten that) supposedly it tastes like chicken.

That said, the context of my quote was that those Chinese restaurants I was referring to were in China, meaning the gators were imported from half way around the world.

But you do bring up a good point which makes the gators seem a little less exotic in a way.

Toki767

Alligator is pretty good. It's a weird mix of chicken and fish though. Like tastes like chicken but textured like fish or maybe it's the opposite.

I've tried it in both Chinese restaurants and in Cajun restaurants and I gotta say I think the Chinese versions taste better.

This the first time I see this thread. A Filipino here but not a dog eater. But I've already ate frog legs, crocs, bat, balut, carabao, and a bayawak (not sure what its English name is),

Subscribed.

JoeFu

Banned
Dramas from the Asian region tend to be way too cheesy for me... like days of our lives, but all the time.

I wouldn't know. Haven't watched any drama before, but my parents binge like crazy. Used to finish whole series in a day and stuff. My bandwidth was always stolen by their awful dramas.

Ooh this looks good.

Personal opinion though... get Japanese pocky.

Dramas from the Asian region tend to be way too cheesy for me... like days of our lives, but all the time.

I was trying to do a taste test the other day between different countries biscuit sticks, but then my brother came to my apartment and ate my pocky...

Not really into asian drama either. All my family is into Kdrama.

suzu

Me and my cousins binged on Korean crime/thriller movies and it was great. Afterward we felt like we had to watch a fluffy cheesy drama, haha.

Asian variety shows blow everything else out of the water.

Yeah, I like to watch variety shows too. They are pretty funny.

What's an Asian variety show :eek:?

D:

Hmph. I still like them. Also yamyams :p.

Thinking back, I never got into Asian TV shows... it probably would have helped my Chinese. damnit. I generally watch American stuff... Archer, HIMYM, etc.

BUT, I did binge watch Devil Besides You in college one time. omigod. Rainie Yang & Mike He <3333333

i am with the #AntiPocky crowd ;___;

I mean Pockys are okay, but I never understood why it's iconized so. Its just mediocre.... Yam Yam, on the other hand. I CAN GET BEHIND THIS YOOOOOO

I used to watch only Asian shows, growing up in Asia.............. (uh, durr) XD

But I'm like you now bunbuns, only western tv series these days (Hannibal and GoT <3)

I think Asian variety shows are those wacky Asian shows like they invite celebs and stuff and do weird, unusual, dorky things ..... maybe im wrong tho, idk XD

suzu

They're all just snacks to me. lol

wikipedia said:
A variety show, also known as variety arts or variety entertainment, is entertainment made up of a variety of acts (hence the name), especially musical performances and sketch comedy, and is normally introduced by a compère (master of ceremonies) or host. Other types of acts include magic, animal and circus acts, acrobatics, juggling and ventriloquism. The variety format made its way from Victorian era stage to radio to television. Variety shows were a staple of English language television from its early days (late 1940's) into the 1980s.

While still widespread in some parts of the world, the proliferation of multichannel television and evolving viewer tastes affected the popularity of variety shows in the United States. Despite this, their influence have still had a major effect on late night television&#8212;where late night talk shows and NBC's comedy series Saturday Night Live (which originally premiered in 1975) have remained popular fixtures of North American television.

Asian variety shows (weelll tbh I've only watched Chinese, Korean, and Japanese ones) are... unique with their sound effects, subtitles all over the screen and general goofiness. But yeah, pretty much what yesno said.

Edit: Gaki no Tsukai: No Laughing punishment game is a suggestion if anybody wants to check something out. I don't really know why this is so hilarious to me, but here's a short ep.

What's an Asian variety show :eek:?
Shows that usually gather some celebrities that do really weird things to win prizes, e.g. Super Trio. For example, they might make you run across many acupressure mats while piggybacking someone and singing a song from a well-known movie. It's pretty reliant on cultural references sometimes. Here's one of a guy who has to play a changed-up game of charades. He basically can only describe the Chinese words in his broken English to others who have to guess these Chinese words.

JoeFu

Banned
Used to watch stuff Chinese stuff as a kid. Doraemon was known as &#23567;&#21486;&#22137;. Apparently in Taiwan they changed it a while back and now it is Dora A&#22818; which is closer to the Japanese name.

I did watch one drama now that I think about it, was called Black and White, &#30174;&#23376;&#33521;&#38596; in Chinese. Can't remember a thing about it though lol.

Used to watch variety shows with my parents too. Super Sunday or whatever? Had the &#36229;&#32026;&#27604;&#19968;&#27604; thing. Was funny from what I remember.

JoeFu

Banned
That gyoza thread is making me laugh. Didn't think finding some to eat would be troublesome. Guy is having so much trouble, and bacon and cheese loool.

As someone who doesn't eat much JP food, is there any difference between gyoza and pot stickers? They look exactly the same.

JoeFu

Banned
Are they essentially the same thing is what I'm asking haha. I know usually there are variations on Chinese/Japanese dishes, but gyoza looks straight up like guotie.

I barely eat any Japanese food since I never really see vegetarian options whenever I look at their menu.

suzu

Gyoza is the same thing as jiaozi/guotie. The cooking method may vary.

OHHH. I watch these on youtube all the time.

I personally love Human Tetris and the No Laughing Punishment game, even though it looks so painful haha.

Yeah, even though I'm sure a lot of these kind of shows are mostly scripted, it still manages to be funny. :D My favorite no laughing game from them is when they're at the high school. Ten.. tenten..

mr.rager

Isn't it always like that :p?

MARCO POLO! I remember that scene.

I liked that one.. and the HardGay one.

Oh god I love HardGay. :x

Vietnamese sandwiches are DELICIOUS.

Hard Gay is fucking hilarious. The ramen shop one is so good. The ending at the park with the kids, fucking dead lol

First I would like to apologize for the Instagram type foodie posts that I been making. Personally, its the only asian related thing that I do, other than taking off my shoes before entering the house,lol.

Less than a 5 minute walk to the nearest Takoyaki store, (then again I have access to a multitude of asian cuisine in a 5 minute radius) Pretty cool setup with the looking glass. Paired it with some Mexican Coca-Cola.

C4uARfg.jpg
v7BBSt1.jpg

Back to taking off your shoes thing, have any of you taken off your shoes when entering a hotel room out of habit? I did on my last vacation to LA, boy my socks got dirty fast. My brother was looking at me with a WTF face when I took of my shoes, then in a scolding voice told me this isn't like our house.

Back to taking off your shoes thing, have any of you taken off your shoes when entering a hotel room out of habit? I did on my last vacation to LA, boy my socks got dirty fast. My brother was looking at me with a WTF face when I took of my shoes, then in a scolding voice told me this isn't like our house.

Sometimes. If I'm going in and out then no, but I'll just switch to sandals or something if I'm gonna stick around for a bit.

I take my shoes off habitually still :x

And yes, bunbuns, i've heard the terms, but here it is more "So Asian" and "Fail Asian" instead of the "Good Asian" and "Bad Asian" variety.

A few friends of mine are very good accountants and a lot of people (and even themselves) sometimes would say, "Ha ha. We are So Asian!"

It's weird.

And yes, one of their kids is not doing well at math at school and the parents say he is a "Fail Asian" (or alternatively, they would say, he is 'too white')

I just... I scratch my head and nod slowly. They are nice people, but their biases can be a bit mind boggling (and embarrassing).

jasonng

How many people here have ever been told they aren't being a "good Asian," or that you're somehow failing "your Asian people"?

I'm thinking of all the times I've been told.. AND JOKED, MYSELF, that I was a bad Asian because I failed calc (three times in a row), because I majored in English, because I don't like using chopsticks at restaurants, because I'm bad at math, because I got a B on something. I've heard other people refer to themselves as a "bad Asian" because they didn't play the piano or speak their language.

Is this because we've internalized what it "means" to "be Asian," or is it just poking fun at the stereotypes? Sometimes I'm not so sure myself.

High five fellow Bsian!

I get this a lot too, mostly in a joking manner. I'm always the first to break the tension and make off colored jokes. Here in NYC it's not hard to find non-stereotypical Asians like me so I'm not exactly singled out. I still get the whole "you're not Asian" when people learn how many stereotypes don't apply to me. The worst of it though is the shit I got from some of my coworkers when I worked at a karaoke bar (I know, right?). I had to deal with some elitist complex with my Chinese coworkers because I was an ABC and wasn't fluent in the language even though I was brought over when the place was looking to attract a more diverse crowd. The low point was when they thought I was some self-hating Asian because I didn't reciprocate with all the Chinese girls that were throwing themselves at me. I just didn't find a lot of them attractive. Hell, even one of them looked and acted like my cousin. That was weird as fuck.

On a more serious note, there's actually a thread in OT right now, and it reminded me of y'all in one theme.

How many people here have ever been told they aren't being a "good Asian," or that you're somehow failing "your Asian people"?

I'm thinking of all the times I've been told.. AND JOKED, MYSELF, that I was a bad Asian because I failed calc (three times in a row), because I majored in English, because I don't like using chopsticks at restaurants, because I'm bad at math, because I got a B on something. I've heard other people refer to themselves as a "bad Asian" because they didn't play the piano or speak their language.

Is this because we've internalized what it "means" to "be Asian," or is it just poking fun at the stereotypes? Sometimes I'm not so sure myself.

I take my shoes off habitually still :x

And yes, bunbuns, i've heard the terms, but here it is more "So Asian" and "Fail Asian" instead of the "Good Asian" and "Bad Asian" variety.

A few friends of mine are very good accountants and a lot of people (and even themselves) sometimes would say, "Ha ha. We are So Asian!"

It's weird.

And yes, one of their kids is not doing well at math at school and the parents say he is a "Fail Asian" (or alternatively, they would say, he is 'too white')

I just... I scratch my head and nod slowly. They are nice people, but their biases can be a bit mind boggling (and embarrassing).

The only Asians that I'm close with are also Americanized, so all the too-Asian/not-Asian-enough jokes are made in an ironic/self-deprecating manner. We all know how ridiculous it all is and like to laugh at it. Sometimes we err on the side of maybe being a little mean towards the too-Asian end of the spectrum though. But I don't think there's any malice behind it.

Also, I always take off my shoes when I enter a room, even hotel rooms. Never occurs to me not to. In fact, it feels weird and wrong to not take off my shoes. I always feel uncomfortable walking around with my shoes on inside non-Asian friends's homes. But then again, I find that the floor of their homes are always a little bit grimier than my Asian friends's homes (probably due to all those shoes).

High five fellow Bsian!

I get this a lot too, mostly in a joking manner. I'm always the first to break the tension and make off colored jokes. Here in NYC it's not hard to find non-stereotypical Asians like me so I'm not exactly singled out. I still get the whole "you're not Asian" when people learn how many stereotypes don't apply to me. The worst of it though is the shit I got from some of my coworkers when I worked at a karaoke bar (I know, right?). I had to deal with some elitist complex with my Chinese coworkers because I was an ABC and wasn't fluent in the language even though I was brought over when the place was looking to attract a more diverse crowd. The low point was when they thought I was some self-hating Asian because I didn't reciprocate with all the Chinese girls that were throwing themselves at me. I just didn't find a lot of them attractive. Hell, even one of them looked and acted like my cousin. That was weird as fuck.

I used to joke that I was uncomfortable around large groups of Asians (Chinese mainly), because I was afraid that they would string me up. I've always actively tried to avoid groups of Chinese that act too-Chinese because of this fear of judgement, when ironically I was doing a lot of the judging. I have heard many stories of groups of Chinese people who shame those that aren't Chinese-enough, but I'm sure not all such groupos are like that.

I used to joke that I was uncomfortable around large groups of Asians (Chinese mainly), because I was afraid that they would string me up. I've always actively tried to avoid groups of Chinese that act too-Chinese because of this fear of judgement, when ironically I was doing a lot of the judging. I have heard many stories of groups of Chinese people who shame those that aren't Chinese-enough, but I'm sure not all such groupos are like that.
There are a lot of nice CBCs where I live (GTA in Canada), and they're very open to all kinds of people, whether you're a fob or someone who can barely speak Chinese at all. Granted, people will usually hang around those that speak about the same level as them, but as long as you have other things to relate with them (food/games/etc), and as long as you can understand them when they slip into Chinese, the language isn't a problem. Though if you're not into stuff like hot pot or karaoke it might be harder to hang around them if that's what they like to do.

I knew a guy who could barely speak Chinese at all, but he was also accepting of it and his friends and I understood and respected that. I think it's better to just be yourself and accept that there are cultural differences. If they don't respect it, maybe they're not the right people to hang around.

Top Bottom