• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed and Final Fantasy XV collaboration announced (in-game playable event)

What game should Final Fantasy XV partner with next?

Results are only viewable after voting.

RPGCrazied

They sure do love adding new content in this game, but won't fix the frame pacing for base PS4 users. With patch 1.13 it seems worse to me. Every time you turn the camera its a stutery mess.

Ludens

Banned
Honestly the dlc seems very good: new quests, new cutscenes, new skins and ability, a reworked Lestallum to visit. And all for free.
I also enjoyed the Moogle festival for what it was, but this one seems much better.

Garlador

Yeah that sure stopped XV from being a success.

Oh, wait.

Toriyama didn't direct it though. The franchise was "saved" from its ruin by Tabata!

This game is so weird. XV was my GOTY (barely edging Witness) last year, and, for all its rough edges and poor story telling, I still love the core game. The world, the character dynamics, the battle system, the mythology, the end, the music, Aranea and Cor, tons going on that I appreciate.

I try not to get too fussed about promotional deals and cross-overs and whatever, but it's hard not to feel that, in this case, they really emphasize what's most wrong w/ XV: devotion to coherent, internally consistent story telling. They had all sorts of cool ideas and bolted them together in a weird way. Given the lack of a meaningful narrative throughline around which everything else is tightly wrapped, it seems not that big a deal to shoe-horn in all this other random crap (cup of noodles hat, assasins creed event, in-world multiplayer expansion, etc). Some of this random crap may be fun in its own right, but it all flies in the face of narrative credibility and believability.

Like, I can't imagine FF VI having had this kind of post-hoc add-on afterlife. How could I accept, say, a Star Fox cameo or something in VI when the world and the story of that game were so carefully crafted and held together so tightly. It just wouldn't make any kind of sense.

In XV, it's less jarring given the sloppy nature of how the game was put together, and that really bothers me.

Games as disjointed experiences may better lend themselves to these kinds of out-of-universe cross-overs, but I don't want the financial benefit of such cross-overs to start infecting the core game design sensibility on big single player games....

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
This is timed DLC? Meaning if you don't play it right away the assassin's outfit and festival are gone forever?

Or will one of them be available later as optional DLC?

I'm asking because I've yet to play Final Fantasy XV, but I think this sounds cool.

ultima786

This game is so weird. XV was my GOTY (barely edging Witness) last year, and, for all its rough edges and poor story telling, I still love the core game. The world, the character dynamics, the battle system, the mythology, the end, the music, Aranea and Cor, tons going on that I appreciate.

I try not to get too fussed about promotional deals and cross-overs and whatever, but it's hard not to feel that, in this case, they really emphasize what's most wrong w/ XV: devotion to coherent, internally consistent story telling. They had all sorts of cool ideas and bolted them together in a weird way. Given the lack of a meaningful narrative throughline around which everything else is tightly wrapped, it seems not that big a deal to shoe-horn in all this other random crap (cup of noodles hat, assasins creed event, in-world multiplayer expansion, etc). Some of this random crap may be fun in its own right, but it all flies in the face of narrative credibility and believability.

Like, I can't imagine FF VI having had this kind of post-hoc add-on afterlife. How could I accept, say, a Star Fox cameo or something in VI when the world and the story of that game were so carefully crafted and held together so tightly. It just wouldn't make any kind of sense.

In XV, it's less jarring given the sloppy nature of how the game was put together, and that really bothers me.

Games as disjointed experiences may better lend themselves to these kinds of out-of-universe cross-overs, but I don't want the financial benefit of such cross-overs to start infecting the core game design sensibility on big single player games....

Preach, my friend.

Preach, my friend.

Heh. My problem obviously is that I still view games as first and foremost narrative vehicles. Like, I blanch similarly when XV suddenly includes Assassin's Creed as I would if The Hobbit featured a cross-over cameo from I Robot or something.

sjay1994

This is so fucking stupid

I love it

I'm excited to see what FFXV content is in AC:O.

Also, this makes the "we used the sphere grid from FFX as a reference for our level up system" make a lot more sense in AC:O

Arkeband

Banned
FFXV is like a famous world-renowned pizza you can only get every few years.

This year's pizza has marshmallows, gravy, sriracha, and boogers.

...What do you mean you don't like this pizza? I'm just glad they're trying something new!

Garlador

why would they add so much gameplay to a limited time event ._.

Why would they spend millions to make a photo-realistic CG tie-in movie with most of the established plot cut from the actual main game and replace the actual in-game voices with more expensive Hollywood actors with less voice acting experience but higher paycheck requirements?

...What do you mean you don't like this pizza? I'm just glad they're trying something new!
I'm surprised you're still moaning in these threads after all the complaints you got in the Forza Horizon 3 Regalia DLC thread.
Oh I meant the person though.

But I didn't know that Ignis did that in the manga! Cool!
I tried my best being new at this!
It's still good! I love it.

theofficefan99

People are complaining because the base game, at least to the ones complaining, is still incomplete ass. Just because you guys are blind enablers doesn't mean everyone else has to be. Resources were allocated to this. So like duh some people will complain even tho it's free and "fun"

Stiler

Wait, what did the last "Dream Egg" give us when they first had the festival?

I remember doing it and getting that but nothing happened with it, many assumed it'd be something that'd be useful later.

Arkeband

Banned
I'm surprised you're still moaning in these threads after all the complaints you got in the Forza Horizon 3 Regalia DLC thread.

Oh I meant the person though.

But I didn't know that Ignis did that in the manga! Cool!

It's still good! I love it.

"All the complaints"?

I think maybe your creepy fixation on my posts and "I'm hiding a dark secret" levels of compensatory positivity and corporate ball washing in every FFXV thread have you confusing me with someone else.

My only contribution to that thread was pointing out how everyone came up with the same exact joke anticipating a post that never happened - a true circlejerk.

Wow! Cool! Awesome! Amazing! Woohoo!

People are complaining because the base game, at least to the ones complaining, is still incomplete ass. Just because you guys are blind enablers doesn't mean everyone else has to be. Resources were allocated to this. So like duh some people will complain even tho it's free and "fun"

You're not a blind enabler if you enjoy content that someone doesn't.

"All the complaints"?

I think maybe your creepy fixation on my posts and "I'm hiding a dark secret" levels of compensatory positivity and corporate ball washing in every FFXV thread have you confusing me with someone else.

My only contribution to that thread was pointing out how everyone came up with the same exact joke anticipating a post that never happened - a true circlejerk.

Wow! Cool! Awesome! Amazing! Woohoo!

Sometimes it feels like defenders for XV are out for blood sometimes.

theofficefan99

You're not a blind enabler if you enjoy content that someone doesn't.

Fair enough, but it's absolutely not hard to see why people would be upset at this. And the pocket edition. And the other stuff like the carnival.

Hexa

I'm not a fan of these limited time events in games that aren't mmos. Just let me play them when I want to damn it. I'm not the type of person that goes back and forth with games like this so this is kind of a bummer.

Byvar

"Who needs the power of kings, when you have the power... of assassins?"

So much jank in that video, the (scripted) parkour mechanics look wonky as hell, and the dialogue is so cheesy, but that just makes me love it even more. It's kind of weird how you can like a weird game because it's weird and not because it's good, but that's how I feel about FFXV right now.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This is so random. I like it. I haven't played Assassin's Creed since Black Flag, and I'm super early in my FFXV play through, but I actually like random collaborations like this. Maybe it's growing up in the 80's, where I always wanted to have GI Joe, Transformers, Thundercats, Voltron, and He-Man to cross over. lol

Give me some Horizon/Witcher non-canon DLC for both games and I'll be happy.

First of all...
giphy.webp

Second, Battleborn should have been included in that poll. Or Brink.

tenor.gif

I guess if you can't be a good open-world RPG, you may as well advertise one.

tumblr_ok4cakifwF1qcuwxgo1_500.png

I think it has more to do with seeing the same posters complaining about the same things even if it isn't what the topic of the thread is about... Maybe.

Top Bottom