• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Honestly I've gotten a great deal of satisfaction by merely beating the crap out of people and looting them for all they're worth.

Voice acting and dialogue is top notch.

brandonh83 said:
Only thing I have a problem with is... no flags/flag-collection music jingle! That was the best thing about Assassin's Creed! :lol

You're joking right?

The elimination of the collect-a-thon just sealed the deal. I'll be buying this today when I go out later.

Will be picking this up in approximately 2 hours as soon as I get out of my last class. :D

To the Ubisoft peeps and the 360 owners in the thread: does installing the game to the hard drive help a lot? I don't recall being bothered by the small load times in the first game at all but I guess I just want to make sure the same applies to the sequel.

Is it one of those games where it doesn't really matter or will it definitely help improve performance?

Haven't heard yet, but are all of the optional quests somewhat different this time around. I know they've changed the mission structure and whatnot. What I'm referring to more specifically, have they changed the voice-acting and rewards for some of the quests? I remember in AC1, every priest you rescued repeated one of 2-3 lines of dialogue in the same voice no matter what city you were in, etc. Same with the women in the streets. This came of as lazy and really killed the immersion for me.

Does Exio have an appropriate accent?

Edit: Is there an Italian audio option? For period pieces like this I'd almost rather read subs.

OmonRa

Gorechylde said:
Haven't heard yet, but are all of the optional quests somewhat different this time around. I know they've changed the mission structure and whatnot. What I'm referring to more specifically, have they changed the voice-acting and rewards for some of the quests? I remember in AC1, every priest you rescued repeated one of 2-3 lines of dialogue in the same voice no matter what city you were in, etc. Same with the women in the streets. This came of as lazy and really killed the immersion for me.

Edit: Is there an Italian audio option? For period pieces like this I'd almost rather read subs.

1. There are SEVERAL different types of optional quests and specific dialogue was written and recorded for each one so you won't get the same lines since they're all 'hand crafted'.

2. He has an accent.

3. There is Italian audio option. So you can have Italian with English subs.

duckroll

Gorechylde said:

Aside from more variety, the sidequests are similar in structure (ie: you will be doing similar things), but the presentation is improved a ton. Since this is a more peaceful time, you will not run into random people screaming for help or whatever while you're exploring. Instead the sidequests available of often jobs people will offer you if you talk to them, and completing the tasks will reward you with money.

There are also many optional quests and events linked directly to the storyline/characters, which are certainly more interesting. Even though the game is basically still an open world collectathon, it's fun and very well presented. I really enjoyed the first game, but the second is just so much more polished and enjoyable. :eek:

Yeah. He pretty much sounds like what you would expect a smartass Italian to sound like in any Hollywood movie. It's not exactly authentic, but it's very fitting.

Yup. You can choose to play the entire game in Italian with English subtitles if you really want to.

Dude Abides

Banned
Are there any significant changes to the combat? Have they added any more brutal moves like that leg-breaking stomp from the first one?

OmonRa

Dude Abides said:
Are there any significant changes to the combat? Have they added any more brutal moves like that leg-breaking stomp from the first one?

Most weapons have crazy brutal finishing moves. You can basically skewer people with spears (though the weapon remains lodged in the body and you lose it). You can also headbutt people and/or knee them in the balls. You can also sink axes and stuff into people's necks. So yes. Quite brutal.

duckroll

Dude Abides said:

Combat in AC2 can't even remotely be compared to AC1. Not only are there many more options during combat (you can use weapons you prepared or fight barehanded and disarm enemies to use their weapons) but there are many more enemy types, and also really BIG fights. Even early in the game so far, I've seen tons of battles where there are easily 10-20 combatants on screen, allies vs enemies.

Ranger X

Dude Abides said:

the combat is much more brutal. Wait until you see the finishes with medium and long weapons. The hammer is BRUTAL.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Dude Abides said:
They added many weapons and finishers, but overall the fighting system remains the same. The only really interesting addition besides flashy moves is that you can block an attack and steal your opponents weapons. That's really nice.

ultron87

Blimblim said:
They added many weapons and finishers, but overall the fighting system remains the same. The only really interesting addition besides flashy moves is that you can block an attack and steal your opponents weapons. That's really nice.

Can you still fight with just your Wrist Blade(s)? Because doing that in AC1 and having to do nothing but counters with no blocking possible was awesome.

Dead

well not really...yet
I can't figure out how to disarm the guards, what am I missing?

Im fighting barehanded and countering, yet Ive never disarmed anyone

mileS

I know there's a bunch of people here wondering what version to get. Honestly after looking it up for a while its safe to say both are perfectly fine. The first AC had a bit of problems on the PS3 but this time around they are pretty much the same. In the end it will come down to what controller you prefer and all that jazz.

Here's a pretty good comparison http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=16415 Please keep in mind that Lens of Truth is super anal about screen tearing and honestly you probably wouldn't even notice the screen tearing they talk about unless you did all the silly kinds of tests they do looking for it. Judging from what i've seen in the video I would say its a tie but like I said they are super anal about screen tearing in the very slightest so thats the only reason they picked the 360 version as the winner.

Anyways I hate dwell on the console comparison stuff considering it always gets beaten to death. Just go buy the game its great. You'll have a good time no matter what version you get.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Dead said:

(X360) Hold RT while locked on and while they're attacking (while still holding RT) press X.

It doesn't work every time, but it does often.

ultron87 said:
Can you still fight with just your Wrist Blade(s)? Because doing that in AC1 and having to do nothing but counters with no blocking possible was awesome.

Yes you can.

Ranger X

Dead said:

At wich point in the game are you? You don't have "disarm" from the get go.

dragct

ultron87 said:

Yes you can, and there some super-awesome and brutal finishers.

Just finished writing my review, waiting for the embargo lift...

duckroll

Dead said:

I don't think you can disarm every single guard. For example, if they're using a common sword, and you already have a common sword (even though you're not using it), you might not be able to disarm that guard I think. Try it on guards with different weapons later in the game.

Zeliard

Haha, Gamefly shipped this game out to me this morning, but I was actually hoping they wouldn't in a way so I could pick it up and play it today. :eek:

Dead

well not really...yet
Ranger X said:

Right after the first assassination. I currently don't have any other weapons aside from my hidden blade

duckroll

Ranger X said:

I'm pretty sure you do. In my very first fight with armed soldiers (axe guys and soldiers with swords) I was able to disarm both of them. It was pretty awesome killing wave after wave of soldiers with their own weapons, until I just realized I should run before my killing streak comes to an end. :lol

OmonRa

Dead said:
Right after the first assassination. I currently don't have any other weapons aside from my hidden blade

I think you may not have it yet... My memory is hazy (it's been a while), but I think you need to learn the move first... Which happens right after the first assassination.

mileS said:
Here's a pretty good comparison http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=16415 Please keep in mind that Lens of Truth is super anal about screen tearing and honestly you probably wouldn't even notice the screen tearing they talk about unless you did all the silly kinds of tests they do looking for it. Judging from what i've seen in the video I would say its a tie but like I said they are super anal about screen tearing in the very slightest so thats the only reason they picked the 360 version as the winner.

Anyways I hate dwell on the console comparison stuff considering it always gets beaten to death. Just go buy the game its great. You'll have a good time no matter what version you get.

I hate to dwell as well, but that footage confirmed 360 for me without question. The PS3 version's colours are so drab, and that frame rate rarely sticks at 30 for longer than a few seconds.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Well, I guess I'm getting it from gamefly soon. I had like 10 games before it. I have a huge backlog. I haven't even played the original one.

So, can/should I play this without playing the first game?

Ranger X

Ok I looked up and you get disarm in the third sequence, mission 4 or 5. Should be right after you get
the throwing knives from Mario
and you probalbly learn disarm in
the ring with Mario

So if the guy is only at the first assassination it's totally normal he's not able to disarm someone.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
duckroll said:
I don't think you can disarm every single guard. For example, if they're using a common sword, and you already have a common sword (even though you're not using it), you might not be able to disarm that guard I think.

Nah, you can disarm any weapon. (Unless it's a boss or something)

Zzoram

mileS said:
I know there's a bunch of people here wondering what version to get. Honestly after looking it up for a while its safe to say both are perfectly fine. The first AC had a bit of problems on the PS3 but this time around they are pretty much the same. In the end it will come down to what controller you prefer and all that jazz.

The PS3 version definitely tears a lot more in that comparison. PS3 version also dips more in framerate.

jett

D-Member
Zzoram said:
The PS3 version definitely tears a lot more in that comparison. PS3 version also dips more in framerate.

Average FPS
PS3: 28.97
360: 29.76

OH MY GOD WILL SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN

Ranger X

Black_Ice said:
Nah, you can disarm any weapon. (Unless it's a boss or something)

I think you can't disarm a military of the agile type. But at the same time, their weapons are short so you don't really want them.

mileS

MMaRsu said:
That is sweet indeed.. checking out reviews is awesome. I hope I won't get too spoiled from watching Gametrailers/IGN video reviews..

GameTrailers is usually pretty bad when it comes to putting spoiler footage in video reviews. Unless you totally don't care about that kind of stuff I wouldn't watch it. IGN on the other hand aren't as bad but thats mostly because they keep the video reviews short.

Zzoram

jett said:
Average FPS
PS3: 28.97
360: 29.76

OH MY GOD WILL SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN

Way to miss the point. It's not the FPS that's the real problem but screen tearing.

PS3: Global percent of torn frames: 16.36
360: Global percent of torn frames: 5.06

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Been up since 6am yesterday. Stayed up to get the game at midnight. Thought I'd just pop it in for a few minutes and play before I slept. Next thing I know it's 10 in the fucking morning!! D:

Night.

jett

D-Member
Zzoram said:
Way to miss the point. It's not the FPS that's the real problem but screen tearing.

10% more screen tearing? Time to cancel our Assassins Creed 2 pre-orders, it's all over.

Ranger X

Zzoram said:

You're concerned with 10% more tearing but you're not by the gain in FPS? The PS3 isn't capped at 30 and that's why you have basically the same average FPS than on 360. Fact is the PS3 is climbing over 30 fps at certain moments. This gain isn't interesting for only 10% tearing? (the 360 version tears less because its capped 30fps)

Top Bottom