• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

RainbowByte

Neo Member
TGO said:
Does AC2 run ok in 1080i thou?
I intend running it @ 720p, but games like COD do seem to look better in 1080i.
btw sorry to be rude but how do you know so much, who are u:lol
1080i works, its going to depend on your display which one looks better to you.
platform lead prog

LaneDS

RainbowByte said:
1080i works, its going to depend on your display which one looks better to you.
platform lead prog

Haven't even played it yet, but sounds like you did some good work indeed! So congrats sir.

The soundtrack is *really* awesome, for whoever was asking about that. I need to find out if there will be a CD or MP3 release...

EDIT: Oh hey, they released the soundtrack on iTunes today!

Buckethead said:
Why is the embargo up after the game comes out?
Yeah, it's a little weird that people on GAF have finished the game and are posting full impressions. Then again, considering the reviews of the last game, it seems natural that Ubi would play their cards close to their chest with this one.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Buckethead said:
Why is the embargo up after the game comes out?

Go to hell Ubisoft. Except Patrice. He can stay.
Don't know, this time at least I don't really think it's because they anticipate bad reviews.

It just comes off as damage control to me.

I don't know what happened to PR in the past year but now the mantra is show everything until review time.
For example, pretty sure I saw the entirety of Arkham Asylum before the game had even shipped and I hadn't been even actively seeking said footage.
It's kind of like flashing clam but then telling your boyfriend he has to wait until the wedding night. Or something. It's just dumb.

I get more excited about a game when I hear people talking about it, not a nicely made trailer or whatever.

Oh well, I'm getting this tomorrow before work and it shall be glorious to play it tomorrow night.

Nachkebia

Banned
After watching youtube video, I think pc version will look awesome, too bad I don`t have good enough pc :( I wont be picking this up until it becomes $10 or something, I will never ever pay full $60 for Ubisoft game :lol

xaosslug

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
So far PS3 version is running like a dream, especially compared to AC1 PS3. Wow. I'm really happy that I didn't impulse-switch to 360. Would have missed out on 26K florins to start with and 6 fuck-awesome weapons. (Florin amount is probably based on how many "coins" you collect in Bloodlines)

boo, I never played the PSP game. :(

Blimblim

The Inside Track
newsguy said:
OMG, I just got to my
uncle's home... EETSA ME, MAAAARIO

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Kudos Ubi.
Yeah, I laughed ready hard at that joke. Totally unexpected.

Miburou

The game isn't region-free on the 360 is it?

I have an American 360 but it's hard for me to find US games while EU ones are cheaper and more plentiful. Doesn't affect my PS3 situation, obviously, but with the 360 version of ACII being the superior one, I'll get that one.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I read the spoiler tag. Surprise ruined, pre-order canceled, oh woe is me, etc

(I'm getting more excited for this game than I really ought to be)

Phthisis

Just beat it. 98% completion (missing 42 feathers). 960/1000 gamerscore.

Story goes in crazy directions at the end. They've got me on board for the inevitable 3rd installment.

Kudos, Ubi. Great game.

Animator

Phthisis said:

Story goes in crazy directions at the end. They've got me on board for the inevitable 3rd installment.

Kudos, Ubi. Great game.

How long did it take you??

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Should I install this "in-game map" that came in my BestBuy box before starting the game? Does it add another "quest" to the game, or is it some sort of thing that gives me an advantage? I don't want to put it in there if it's going to make the game a lot easier...

The Gamestop Master Assassin collector's edition is fetching over $200 on eBay right now! Is the statue that cool? I'm really itching to throw mine up there and run away with a few quick ones.... I want to open it sooo badly though! damn it....

Phthisis

Animator said:
How long did it take you??

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 hours, I would imagine (don't think there's a counter, or if there is I'm missing it). I literally did nothing this weekend except play the game straight through.

Animator

Phthisis said:
Somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 hours, I would imagine (don't think there's a counter, or if there is I'm missing it). I literally did nothing this weekend except play the game straight through.

Excellent thanks!

Cant wait to start playing tomorrow. Loved the first one.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Phthisis said:
Options / stats. Counter is there. Though it doesn't seem to be exact, it says 16 hours for my game (62% done), but I have 22 hours of video footage recorded from that session.

Blimblim said:
.... I have 22 hours of video footage recorded from that session.

Are you making a walkthru on YouTube or something? Curious as to why you need that much video.... if it's HD you must have a few TBs at least.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Team Klimt said:
Are you making a walkthru on YouTube or something? Curious as to why you need that much video.... if it's HD you must have a few TBs at least.
My setup allows me to play normally on my TV, and record at the same time. So it's easy for me to simply record everything so I can simply get what footage I want when come time to edit the footage for the review. It's about 1.8 TB big :)

DrBo42

Blimblim said:
Options / stats. Counter is there. Though it doesn't seem to be exact, it says 16 hours for my game (62% done), but I have 22 hours of video footage recorded from that session.
If you look at the time in the Story Mode/Session menu (where you load the game) it will give you the total time. The counter in the stats menu seems to leave out some time, maybe it's just a pure gameplay timer that doesn't factor in cutscenes or the time spent in database menus.

Repost from the pick-up thread. Yeah.... I had to open it :) The correct choice. And yes, the bonus DVD does include the soundtrack. It also includes a small hard-bound art book (same size as MW2 or GTAIV SE art books).

The only bummer is that the game sleeve itself has "Gamestop Exclusive!" printed right on it. Looks pretty lame......

The figure is absolutely awesome though. Best collector's edition item I've ever seen.

The figure is super-detailed and very nicely molded in plastic/ heavy rubber. It's not polystone or ceramic, but high-quality like a Neca or McFarlane figure. It's really big too - pics at the bottom. Here are some more quick pics for scale:

*The Splinter Cell thing was just a small flyer they were handing out at Gamestop. No demo code at all - just a small sell sheet showing the pre-order exclusive (surprise!) - it's for an "in-game SPAS-12 Supressor Shotgun". OK.*

Photo_111709_001.jpg

Photo_111709_002.jpg

Photo_111709_003.jpg

Why am I not surprised that Jade gets the first credit in the art book? What happened to her anyway? "Alive" has been dark for quite a while now....

Photo_111709_004.jpg

Photo_111709_005.jpg

Photo_111709_006.jpg

imperium

Man the 45 minutes or so I spent with he game did not leave a great 1st impression. I didn't play AC1 so I'm not up to speed with the story which probably is the reason I found the beginning of the game kind of confusing and not overly compelling.

I also found the character models, I dont know off? The female characters especially looked weird to me. The graphics in the opening sequence in general struck me as rather poor which surrpised me since the game looks pretty impressive from the media I've seen.

The the proper game starts, pretty cool but kind of overwhelming with all the menus. Not a bad thing as I expect to eventually be walked thru most of it.

I dont know if I encountered a glitch or what but after racing my brother I was on a lookout and accepted a mission to visit someone but suddenly I couldn't do anything. He was just hunched over on the perch and that was it. The game wasn't frozen and I believe the triangle button was displaying interact but nada. Oh well it's time for bed anyway. I'm looking forward to spending more time with the game but it doesn't exactly grab you at the beginning.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
DrBo42 said:
If you look at the time in the Story Mode/Session menu (where you load the game) it will give you the total time. The counter in the stats menu seems to leave out some time, maybe it's just a pure gameplay timer that doesn't factor in cutscenes or the time spent in database menus.
That menu lists a time stamp of your last save, not total time played. As others have pointed out, the stats in-game clock is very inaccurate.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Team Klimt said:
Why am I not surprised that Jade gets the first credit in the art book? What happened to her anyway? "Alive" has been dark for quite a while now....
She's never been involved with Alive, it was a false rumor. She's now in charge of Ubisoft Toronto's studio.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Phthisis said:

Kudos, Ubi. Great game.

...what? Already? Completion time?

Edit: Saw it. Not bad. I'll give it a rent this weekend.

Did you buy two copies of Assassin's Creed 2? Cause I see the card with the codes on it in the second picture and the game looks like it's still sealed, I'm confused as to why they'd put the "Bonus in game map" label on the case if it's not actually in the case.

krioto

Ok, I've just been watching the vids on gametrailers and am now super hyped - it looks fantastic, especially the new looting preview.

Damn UK - why are new releases on a Friday!!!!!

rainking187 said:
Did you buy two copies of Assassin's Creed 2? Cause I see the card with the codes on it in the second picture and the game looks like it's still sealed, I'm confused as to why they'd put the "Bonus in game map" label on the case if it's not actually in the case.

I just took the game out of the box set. I only bought one.

Team Klimt said:
I just took the game out of the box set. I only bought one.

So they put "Bonus in game map inside" on the cover of the game case when it's actually in the tin and not the game case? That's fucking stupid.

I never got around to playing the first one, is worth me buying it ? Also how long is the 1st game, if it's 10 hours or less i may get it before i get this one.

danwarb

RainbowByte said:
a lot of games that support the 1080p hardware scaler dont internally render 1080 lines of vertical resolution, which AC2 PS3 does. The tradeoff is there is alittle less horizontal resolution than the 720p mode, but you get much more vertical res which looks better imo.
That's interesting. Generally, games look blurrier at 960x1080 than they do at 1280x720. I put it down to my TV being wider than it is high.

I've been playing the game for a few hours and it seems like they've changed nothing from the first AC. Please, at least tell me the missions aren't as repetitive as the first one. :(

I finished the game earlier last evening. It absolutely blew past all my concerns (except control issues, but inFAMOUS spoiled me, and I got past it anyways) comprehensively. I will have a more detailed post with my impressions and stats later on today after I have had some sleep... going on 30 hours now. :-(

Bottom line... Its a gem of a game, and it deserves to be played. I'd recommend renting it if you are REALLY skeptical after AC1, but just know, every issue you had with AC1 has probably been improved. Amazing game... absolutely amazing. And what incredible last few sentences...

What. The. Fuck.

duckroll said:
I hope dead is still alive. He started playing the game like 4 hours ago, and I haven't seen him log off PSN yet. :lol
You should ask people on my PSN... I think Bruce commented on it earlier on in this thread. Took me more than 16-17 hours for sure, and I did it in TWO sittings. Just couldnt let it go without finding out what the next mission was, and what the hell it would lead to!

akachan ningen said:
I've been playing the game for a few hours and it seems like they've changed nothing from the first AC. Please, at least tell me the missions aren't as repetitive as the first one. :(
Dude seriously? I'd guess only 20% of the missions in the main storyline are repeated. Perhaps they sound similar in how they are put (scope out this area, take out these guards, follow this guy etc)... but the way you SHOULD execute them if you are playing like a true Assassin would be wildly different. Just my experience from finishing the game.

Edit: Look at below post.

DrBo42

akachan ningen said:
If you've been playing for a few hours you should have noticed that the entire mission structure has changed. As well as the new blend, notoriety, monetary, climbing, hired group, and shop systems. So... there's that.

Top Bottom