• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

jett

D-Member
Ether_Snake said:
Yeah PS3, 1080p. Cool. It looks practically perfectly smooth.

You're probably mistaking blurriness for smoothness. Every single PS3 game I've tried that upscales to 1080p, no exception, looks blurrier than 720p.

Minamu

Is it possible to remap the buttons? I hate the triggers on the DS3 & it seems that R2 is used pretty much ALL the time like in AC1?

Ranger X

Well, the game looks ALOT better in my TV than at the office. First day I notice we really made a beautiful game after all. :lol

Also, Minamu, low and high profile is mapped on L1 and R1 on the PS3. I hate it but it looks like exactly what you're looking for.

Ethereal

Does anyone know what the music was that was in the TGS Trailer "Ezio's Destiny"? Listening to the OST clips from iTunes I can't tell if it was something Jesper Kyd did or a theme lifted from somewhere else. If Kyd's music is half as good as his work on the Hitman games then this game will be sick..... picking up my copy at midnight EST

Loudninja

Minamu said:
Is it possible to remap the buttons? I hate the triggers on the DS3 & it seems that R2 is used pretty much ALL the time like in AC1?

What? L2 was only use for the chase camera, and that was it.

RainbowByte

Neo Member
JB1981 said:
Game looks better with forced 1080p?
960x1080 is more pixels fragment shaded than 1280x720 with the RSX's 2xMSAA technique
So yes there is more detail on the ps3 if you force 1080p than the 720p mode.

RainbowByte

Neo Member
jett said:
You're probably mistaking blurriness for smoothness. Every single PS3 game I've tried that upscales to 1080p, no exception, looks blurrier than 720p.

a lot of games that support the 1080p hardware scaler dont internally render 1080 lines of vertical resolution, which AC2 PS3 does. The tradeoff is there is alittle less horizontal resolution than the 720p mode, but you get much more vertical res which looks better imo.

jett

D-Member
Interesting about 1080p.

Ranger X said:
Well, the game looks ALOT better in my TV than at the office. First day I notice we really made a beautiful game after all. :lol

Also, Minamu, low and high profile is mapped on L1 and R1 on the PS3. I hate it but it looks like exactly what you're looking for.

Have they changed the controls? Low profile in the original was simply not pressing R2. L1 was used for targeting.

OmonRa

jett said:
Interesting about 1080p.

Have they changed the controls? Low profile in the original was simply not pressing R2. L1 was used for targeting.

No there is no low profile button. lol i was just trying to picture what that would be like...

Ether_Snake said:
Is it my TV or there is no aliasing in this game?:p

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does this mean you're saying there are no jaggies or there are LOTS of jaggies? Hoping it looks smooth on my 720p...

RainbowByte

Neo Member
CartridgeBlower said:
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but does this mean you're saying there are no jaggies or there are LOTS of jaggies? Hoping it looks smooth on my 720p...
aliasing = jaggies, which is something this game doesn't suffer from.

Don't worry, it looks good in 720p on both platforms

Ranger X

jett said:
Interesting about 1080p.

Sorry, you're right. Low profile is by default. But this time around, high profile is R1

DrBo42 said:
"Shakey negative" -Assassinations are more geared towards action. I found it near impossible to take out even a quarter of my targets in a stealthy approach. Perhaps I just need more practice, a second playthrough will be needed to come to a firm conclusion.
Bummer. I found this one of the biggest issues with AC1 to be honest. I didn't think it was repetitive (any more than any other game: run, crouch, shoot, run crouch, shoot) but the inability to perform truly stealthy assassinations took me out of the game.

I remember one in particular (IIRC it was Monferrat), I made sure I gathered all the intelligence, I studied maps, known guard locations, escape routes and planned my way in and out. Infiltrating the fortress was easy; I knew all the guards' locations, their movements. I moved slowly, through shadows. One-by-one they fell. I made my way to the stronghold. There, unseen, perched above Monferrat I waited for the moment to strike. I went to pounce... and the lack of controls failed me, requiring me to fall down next to him to perform my assassination, alert 20+ guards and then fight them all off. Way to ruin what had been an awesome build up.

DevelopmentArrested said:
5 hours in. Still loving it.. it's in my top 5 for GOTY like most have already said. Great variety in activities, rewarding gameplay and polished all around. Since I fellated it last post, I'll give some flaws:

- Occasional pop-in, screen tearing and long loads.
- Very slow burn; a lot of training/tutorials even 5 hours in.
- Core platforming mechanics and cutscenes could still be better (see: UC2)

Also pet peeve: I wish you could hear Italian VO for Italians and English VO for English instead of one or another (also going back to main menu to change it sucks). Finally, the music/OST RULES!
If they made proper cut scenes, how would I be able to jump around and spin in circles while the NPC is telling me about the story/mission?

jett

D-Member
I think people should realize by now, that despite all the bullshit Ubisoft spewed about social stealth during AC1's production, these games are just not stealthy at all. Guards finding about your kill is part of the game design. Yes, it is stupid for a game that is sold as a stealth assassination game, but whatcha gonna do.

MattKeil said:
How would you do it? Ezio has too many abilities and movement states to use just analog stick tilt to determine them. The modifier system AC and AC2 use are all that makes his level of agility possible alongside such a precise level of control. Your comparisons and complaints are simply incorrect. What you're describing simply doesn't happen when I play.

A lot of people seem to have this issue with AC (and presumably AC2 now) where they aren't especially proficient with the game's controls and blame the game for it instead of their own lack of ability. It's not the game, it's you. Practice, practice, practice.
I don't think the controls are terrible but there is still an issue where if you are climbing a wall and let go of the feet button at the wrong time, your character will go jumping into oblivion.

DrBo42

codswallop said:
Bummer. I found this one of the biggest issues with AC1 to be honest. I didn't think it was repetitive (any more than any other game: run, crouch, shoot, run crouch, shoot) but the inability to perform truly stealthy assassinations took me out of the game.

I remember one in particular (IIRC it was Monferrat), I made sure I gathered all the intelligence, I studied maps, known guard locations, escape routes and planned my way in and out. Infiltrating the fortress was easy; I knew all the guards' locations, their movements. I moved slowly, through shadows. One-by-one they fell. I made my way to the stronghold. There, unseen, perched above Monferrat I waited for the moment to strike. I went to pounce... and the lack of controls failed me, requiring me to fall down next to him to perform my assassination, alert 20+ guards and then fight them all off. Way to ruin what had been an awesome build up.

It's much easier to perform air assassinations now.

jett said:
I think people should realize by now, that despite all the bullshit Ubisoft spewed about social stealth during AC1's production, these games are just not stealthy at all. Guards finding about your kill is part of the game design. Yes, it is stupid for a game that is sold as a stealth assassination game, but whatcha gonna do.
They've actually made it way easier to be stealthy in this game. Guards now have a suspicion meter on them, and theres also an overall notoriety meter as well. Plus you can hire people to help you distract guards or blend into crowds of people; blending is a million times more natural now-- you just have to walk in the middle of a group of people instead of holding a button.

This game overall is a million times better than AC1. I liked AC1 but it had issues and was very repetitive. I never wanted to touch an extra side mission in that game because it was so boring. In this game, you'll be addicted to the side missions because the rewards are worth it.

The story flows so much better, what you're doing for the most part actually makes sense, etc. Its hard to describe without spoiling the game, but suffice to say, if you thought AC1 was flawed but had promise, this is the fulfillment of that promise.

The only gripe I have is they got rid of that really nice rolling cloud shadows effect over the city. Its a minor thing (only notice it when you're on a viewpoint), but I guess they had to do it to accommodate the day/night cycle.

jett

D-Member
infinityBCRT said:
The only gripe I have is they got rid of that really nice rolling cloud shadows effect over the city. Its a minor thing (only notice it when you're on a viewpoint), but I guess they had to do it to accommodate the day/night cycle.

Wat? :| That was like the best graphical effect the first game had.

~Kinggi~

Banned
fuckin bummer. I loved that effect.

RainbowByte

Neo Member
infinityBCRT said:
Cloud shadow effect should still be present in certain maps(villa/Toscany) , but its also much softer in contrast and shadowed/unshadowed patches cover larger areas iirc.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
infinityBCRT said:
I don't think the controls are terrible but there is still an issue where if you are climbing a wall and let go of the feet button at the wrong time, your character will go jumping into oblivion.

EVERYONE: YOU DON'T NEED TO HOLD THE FEET BUTTON WHILE CLIMBING!

Loudninja

jett said:
There's nothing wrong, the difference in one of the earlier clips is due to different time of days. :p

BTW a MUCH better port than AC1, this time Ubisoft actually made an effort. The overall difference between the 360 and PS3 versions is less than a frame.
Yes I know that, not a very good comparison of they are the same time of day. ;)

~Kinggi~

Banned
jett said:
There's nothing wrong, the difference in one of the earlier clips is due to different time of days. :p

BTW a MUCH better port than AC1, this time Ubisoft actually made an effort. The overall difference between the 360 and PS3 versions is less than a frame.
Only thing i noticed was there was more tearing and about 2 frames less in the ps3 one. For the most part though they were pretty close.

Ranger X

AC2 is not really a stealth game. You can have stealthy ways and do most of it undetected but it is an "action freeroamer".

I don't remember the marketing of AC1 but note that Ubisoft never really talked about stealth in the whole AC2 marketing. I wonder where people did expect that since they didn't even found the first that stealthy to begin with.

Oh shit, after RUSHING throug Bloodlines today and connecting/transfering to AC2, I picked up 26K florins, and a bunch of sweet weapons. So yea, that's worth something atleast...

RainbowByte

Neo Member
jett said:

I feel like im being trolled everytime someone calls the ps3 version a port :lol It was more the lead platform this time around to make sure the ps3 version got more love and avoided being a subpar version as was the case with AC1.

RainbowByte said:
I feel like im being trolled everytime someone calls the ps3 version a port :lol It was more the lead platform this time around to make sure the ps3 version got more love and avoided being a subpar version as was the case with AC1.

So far PS3 version is running like a dream, especially compared to AC1 PS3. Wow. I'm really happy that I didn't impulse-switch to 360. Would have missed out on 26K florins to start with and 6 fuck-awesome weapons. (Florin amount is probably based on how many "coins" you collect in Bloodlines)

RainbowByte

Neo Member
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
So far PS3 version is running like a dream, especially compared to AC1 PS3. Wow. I'm really happy that I didn't impulse-switch to 360. Would have missed out on 26K florins to start with and 6 fuck-awesome weapons. (Florin amount is probably based on how many "coins" you collect in Bloodlines)
Thanks for the kind words, it means a lot to me personally since that version is 'my baby'
Yes the amount of florins is based on how many coins you get in the psp game ( i dont recall the exchange rate)

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
RainbowByte said:

Good to know, I love when I can pick up games for my PS3 instead of 360. I rarely do that for Multiplatform games. I'm waiting until black friday in the hopes of finding a good deal on this, but I'll definitely be picking this one up on PS3.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Isn't there any way to get the extras the PS3 versioners can potentially start off with on the 360 ? No way at all ?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
RainbowByte said:
Are you playing the ps3 version and have your display set to 1080p? it internally renders to 960x1080 2xMSAA instead of 1280x720 2xMSAA and do some stuff which makes that config look more smoothed out.
If you dont have that setting, Both ps3 and 360 console versions render at the usual 720p res, no ghetto smaller framebuffers allowed :lol
Does AC2 run ok in 1080i thou?
I intend running it @ 720p, but games like COD do seem to look better in 1080i.
btw sorry to be rude but how do you know so much, who are u:lol

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Just got in the Goozex queue - #115. Sadly, this is the best snipe I've been able to pull off :/

So now... the waiting game begins! If previous experience holds, I'll move up 20-30 places ASAP as people that tried to snipe go out and buy it and remove themselves from the list. And then things will slow considerably as the actual trade-ins begin.

With any luck I'll be playing in mid-Jan.

kikanny

GDJustin said:
Just got in the Goozex queue - #115. Sadly, this is the best snipe I've been able to pull off :/

So now... the waiting game begins! If previous experience holds, I'll move up 20-30 places ASAP as people that tried to snipe go out and buy it and remove themselves from the list. And then things will slow considerably as the actual trade-ins begin.

With any luck I'll be playing in mid-Jan.

I am at 51st position! And I did this at 1:01 AM. Seriously....

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
kikanny said:
I am at 51st position! And I did this at 1:01 AM. Seriously....

Dude I always try. Others on GAF have good luck. But for me, the site COMPLETELY stops loading at about 5 minutes till. I refresh and refresh and by the time I manage to get it to load at around 1:05 I end up in 100th place. Happens every week.

LaneDS

Wow, so it runs noticeably better than the first game did on PS3? That's awesome news. I was going to get it tomorrow (well, today) for PS3 regardless, but I was kind of prepared for it to be the subpar version like the first go round... pretty damn exciting news.

Dead

well not really...yet
Just picked up the collectors edition

The figure is really big and nicely sculpted. Definitely not a POS tiny shit (like the Street Fighter 4 CE)

Top Bottom