• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

DrBo42 said:
If you've been playing for a few hours you should have noticed that the entire mission structure has changed. As well as the new blend, notoriety, monetary, climbing, hired group, and shop systems. So... there's that.

hmm, okay I don't see how things like the shop and climbing systems will keep things from feeling reptitive...

I was thinking more along the lines of missions and combat. Do things change over time, or are you doing the same block parry counter moves through the whole game? Are there boss fights? Do you have to deliver assloads of packages?

In the first game, it was more of a problem with the side missions, they were all the same? I did one of the beat em up missions in this game and it was not fun. Are there going to be a lot of those?

Kobun Heat said:
The soundtrack is *really* awesome, for whoever was asking about that. I need to find out if there will be a CD or MP3 release...

EDIT: Oh hey, they released the soundtrack on iTunes today!
Yeah. The soundtrack reminded me of playing Quest for Glory 5 :D

Dead

well not really...yet
duckroll said:
I hope dead is still alive. He started playing the game like 4 hours ago, and I haven't seen him log off PSN yet. :lol
Im taking a small break now!

Game is way too addicting.

akachan ningen said:
I've been playing the game for a few hours and it seems like they've changed nothing from the first AC. Please, at least tell me the missions aren't as repetitive as the first one. :(
Keep playing. Things open up and get more interesting. You've barely scratched the surface.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
:'(

i just called the store i paid off my preorder at, he cant sell it till tomorrow but he already has it in

argh

edit: not to start shit, but anyone with the ps3 version that can tell me if it runs well compared to 360?

duckroll

That's too bad. The game is awesome, and way better than the first one! :eek:

Edit: Sounds like most of us are playing the PS3 version. No idea how the 360 one runs, I would have been able to contribute that impression if my 360 didn't die last week. Lol.

kinggroin

Banned
I hated the first game almost as much as I hate the single player in Call of Duty. This sequel however, for whatever reason, has me intrigued.

I'm going to check out some gameplay vids and do a bit of research. If the steam price is fair, I may pick this up.

edit: In 2010? Ugh....

arghgghghghgh! can't. wait. for. this.

I hate having a birthday close to xmas. Once I get past September suddenly I "can't buy anything anymore". :(

Zzoram

I sorta hated on the first game because of GAF and because of the actual repetitiveness of the preparation missions. However, it was the first game I got 1000/1000 on because I enjoyed monkeying around town hunting flags while listening to podcasts.

I probably won't Platinum this game (avoiding games on 360 except exclusives now that my warranty has ended), but I'm sure it'll be fun enough.

Fady K

Seems like Ubisoft delivered this time. GOOD. For those of you who finished it recently - how would you rate the story? And does the music hold up to Jesper Kyd's previous (and awesome) works?

Solo

MMaRsu said:

Oh, this wait isnt so bad - Ive been waiting 7 months to play any new games :lol

I moved back to my hometown 7 months ago for a job, from the other side of the country. Ive been staying with my parents temporarily. I move into my condo in December. Ive had ALL my shit (HDTV, PS3, X360, etc.) in storage since April. Finally I get to play some of these games in December!

Ive got Uncharted 2, Batman AA, AC2, Demons Souls, and like 5-6 other AAA games that have been released from April to now just sitting, begging to be played.

Fady K said:
Seems like Ubisoft delivered this time. GOOD. For those of you who finished it recently - how would you rate the story? And does the music hold up to Jesper Kyd's previous (and awesome) works?

The story does have a tendency to wander around a bit, but never in a way which feels disconnected from Ezio's main quest. It is actually really well done, and comes together immaculately. You need to always stay aware of what your overall objective is and then the smaller 'preparatory' missions will make much more sense.

It is not surprising that a lot of people arent giving this game a chance based on AC1... If you trust the impressions from GAF (including me), you should buy it. It is definitely a worthwhile purchase. I know a lot of people balk at the prospect of buying a solely single player game but AC2 has enough unlockables and missions to keep you occupied for ages imo.

If worst comes to worst, and you are still not convinced, feel free to check it out for a few hours at a friends place. Anyone in NYC area is free to visit me and see me finish the rest of the missions left... thats how much I am in love with this game.

Bravo Ubisoft, haters can Requiescat in Pace.

EDIT: Just to clear the air, I liked AC1. I thought it had an amazing concept, and though it fell short of taking it to its logical conclusion, it did a great job of being an action-adventure game (i'm a very casual gamer, and dont look for innovation or evolution in most of my games.) However, any niggling concerns I might have had with AC! (except controls, I freely admit, but you 'acclimatize' to it) have been taken care of with AC2.

This gives VERY strong competition to inFAMOUS as my "open world platformer action adventure game" for this year... and I loved inFAMOUS.

Solo said:
Oh, this wait isnt so bad - Ive been waiting 7 months to play any new games :lol

I moved back to my hometown 7 months ago for a job, from the other side of the country. Ive been staying with my parents temporarily. I move into my condo in December. Ive had ALL my shit (HDTV, PS3, X360, etc.) in storage since April. Finally I get to play some of these games in December!

Ive got Uncharted 2, Batman AA, AC2, Demons Souls, and like 5-6 other AAA games that have been released from April to now just sitting, begging to be played.

Wow, congrats on becoming a full blown hermit in December, especially if you get into Demon's Souls :lol

Solo

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Wow, congrats on becoming a full blown hermit in December, especially if you get into Demon's Souls :lol

Whats really sad is that Im barely going to make a dent in my backlog before Mass Effect 2 hits and drives everything else to the backburner. It could be May 2010 before I get all these games played :lol

Solo said:
Truer words never spoken. GTFO, multiplayer!

I like multiplayer, but it's not a requirement or anything to me. Uncharted 2 had me worried that they sacrificed SP quality for MP but Naughty Dog is better than that. They delivered one of the best single player experiences ever in addition to a fantastic multiplayer that I ended up sinking a lot of time into. Why? It complimented the single player. The gameplay is great and when you beat the game you're left wanting more. So, log into multiplayer. Games like Call of Duty are mostly multiplayer with a half-assed... what they call it, "campaign" mode. Too bad not everyone is Naughty Dog.

Anyway, from what I've played so far this is... wow I don't even know how to begin concerning how much better this game is than the first one. I think I'll miss that... almost "Biblical" (sorry I don't know how else to put it) feel of the first game (thanks to its setting and atmosphere) but I'm hoping to find this game's own unique atmosphere.

Fady K

Solo said:

Oh my God, prepare yourself for one hell of an amazing gaming ride.

iamcool388 said:
The story does have a tendency to wander around a bit, but never in a way which feels disconnected from Ezio's main quest. It is actually really well done, and comes together immaculately. You need to always stay aware of what your overall objective is and then the smaller 'preparatory' missions will make much more sense.

It is not surprising that a lot of people arent giving this game a chance based on AC1... If you trust the impressions from GAF (including me), you should buy it. It is definitely a worthwhile purchase. I know a lot of people balk at the prospect of buying a solely single player game but AC2 has enough unlockables and missions to keep you occupied for ages imo.

If worst comes to worst, and you are still not convinced, feel free to check it out for a few hours at a friends place. Anyone in NYC area is free to visit me and see me finish the rest of the missions left... thats how much I am in love with this game.

Bravo Ubisoft, haters can Requiescat in Pace.

EDIT: Just to clear the air, I liked AC1. I thought it had an amazing concept, and though it fell short of taking it to its logical conclusion, it did a great job of being an action-adventure game (i'm a very casual gamer, and dont look for innovation or evolution in most of my games.) However, any niggling concerns I might have had with AC! (except controls, I freely admit, but you 'acclimatize' to it) have been taken care of with AC2.

This gives VERY strong competition to inFAMOUS as my "open world platformer action adventure game" for this year... and I loved inFAMOUS.

Wow, sounds great! I was actually let down quite a bit by the first one, but i still loved bits and parts of it very much - the atmosphere, the assassination bits were awesome, its just that too much filler was forced on the way in many occasions, but looking at all your impressions, Ubisoft has made some wise decisions. Thanks for the awesome impressions, you are cool indeed.

brandonh83 said:
Yes and they should all be put before a firing squad

Seriously. How many games with major multiplayer components rock hard on single player?

MMaRsu

Banned
brandonh83 said:

True that, singleplayer only games ( which are good ) are my bread and butter. Lol I played Borderlands mostly alone :p.

Fady K said:
Seriously. How many games with major multiplayer components rock hard on single player?

Good sir, I can count them on one hand. As in, I have four fingers and a thumb left over.

I AM NOT condemning multiplayer, I've played my fair share and it is very fun. I just like both kinds of games and when I see games that should be SP only, I get rather disheartened, but like I said Uncharted 2 is the first time I've felt that a developer made a successful SP and MP title.

Sorry this is rather off-topic, it's just refreshing that Ubisoft didn't have some sort of online compatibility with this game and if, when the reviews hit, they complain about no online functionality, I will do my best to call their shit out.

Zzoram

I've been realizing slowly that the only multiplayer I truly enjoy is local co-op, with the occasional online co-op. It was a hard realization because I used to buy games that had multiplayer under the assumption that I would get more hours and "replayability" out of them, only to find myself only playing the singleplayer. I think I'm done with multiplayer focused games, I already own enough that I don't think I ever want another one.

I'm picking up Assassin's Creed II in about 2 hours, and I'm going to enjoy it.

brandonh83 said:

Man.. I would agree with you, but I am scared because of your tag dude. Here are good SP games I was fine with spending more than retail for (I get them early):

inFAMOUS = Amazing game. Never felt more of a badass. Truly incredible.

Uncharted 2 = I bought it for SP, straight up. I was one of the doubters earlier on about the MP modes. But MP is great... still thats a bonus. I paid for the SP campaign, because I genuinely cared for the characters and wanted to know what happens in the Uncharted universe storyline.

Batman: AA = Most surprising game of this year. Who would have expected Rocksteady to do so well? I have so much respect for them now, as well as a certain amount of embarrassment for doubting them in the first place just because it was a licensed game. Other developers, take note... THIS is how you make a fucking game. Brilliant all the way through.

*This space saved for "THE SABOTEUR" hopefully*

Assassins Creed 2: Exceptional. I admit there are graphical issues and sometimes you can get a little annoyed, sure. The game isnt the best it can be, but people who hated the original will appreciate it so much more. Not only are all the annoying investigations removed, they are replaced with missions which make sense in the overall storyline.

Goddamn someone back me up so I dont look like Ubisoft marketing or something WTF... where are other GAF impressions? Agree with me or disagree... dont leave the lurkers unconvinced, one way or the other.

I'm saying it because I think people are being skeptical about AC2 based on AC1 (based on good reason for sure.)... However, more people need to speak up about their gameplay impressions. Some of you have had it for 8 hours... how do you guys feel? :D

Prays that if he is misconstrued as a viral marketer, Ubisoft pays him without looking at their payroll LOL

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
One thing that I appreciate is the fact that the music seems to be put to MUCH better use. The original game also had a great Jesper Kyd soundtrack (though this one is even better), but it was used very sparingly to the point that most people never even noticed it. That doesn't seem to be the case this time around.

Don't worry about my tag. It means nothing. :lol

Anyway the 360 version image quality is absolutely beautiful. Textures are great, contrast and black levels are great, and this game has anti-aliasing from hell. It's one of the smoothest looking games I've ever played.

dark: I agree, it feels more naturally included. I've noticed that here in the last 10 minutes or so I've been playing.

Zzoram

brandonh83 said:

Anyway the 360 version image quality is absolutely beautiful. Textures are great, contrast and black levels are great, and this game has anti-aliasing from hell. It's one of the smoothest looking games I've ever played.

I hope the PS3 version is on par, I opted for that one this time.

Zzoram said:
I hope the PS3 version is on par, I opted for that one this time.

I had the original on PS3, and then played a friend's 360 version and it was pretty apparent that the 360 version had better IQ. I actually had the PS3 version preordered, but when I read impressions of this one, plus my experience with the first game, I switched it over to 360.

Fady K said:
Wow, sounds great! I was actually let down quite a bit by the first one, but i still loved bits and parts of it very much - the atmosphere, the assassination bits were awesome, its just that too much filler was forced on the way in many occasions, but looking at all your impressions, Ubisoft has made some wise decisions. Thanks for the awesome impressions, you are cool indeed.

I aim to please good sir. God knows how many good games I have purchased based on GAF impression... It would be great if I can give impressions which help people decide one way or another whether a game is worthwhile for them or not. :D

dark10x said:
One thing that I appreciate is the fact that the music seems to be put to MUCH better use. The original game also had a great Jesper Kyd soundtrack (though this one is even better), but it was used very sparingly to the point that most people never even noticed it. That doesn't seem to be the case this time around.

Absolutely not, you are 100% right. I would recommend listening to the 'heartbeat sounding music' when you have evaded the line of sight from the guards. Who would have ever thought that subtle trance mixed with mellow rock would work so well in Renaissance Italy?

They have done a great job with the music. Some missions have music which plays while you do... err... "your badassery" (not necessarily assassinations)... They add so much to the situation. Fucking amazing.

I should state that I appreciated this game so much perhaps because I thought AC1 had serious shortcomings. Just like Naughty Dog, I believe Ubisoft Montreal have outdone themselves, and I hope they are suitably rewarded for it.

For once, most of the things they said is according to "truth in advertising."

brandonh83 said:
I had the original on PS3, and then played a friend's 360 version and it was pretty apparent that the 360 version had better IQ. I actually had the PS3 version preordered, but when I read impressions of this one, plus my experience with the first game, I switched it over to 360.

Brandon bro, PS3 is fine if you are too extremely sensitive, i.e. you are a regular gamer who just wants to relax, have a drink and play a game. Unless you are looking for the absolute best quality you can get (which is understandable if you have all consoles and a PC), PS3 will serve you well. Then again, I had no issues with iNFAMOUS because I was too engrossed in how well the game played while TTP fucking raped me because of my impressions on image quality. :lol

Me: Image quality is pretty good, doesnt bother gameplay, I like it near water because it becomes 60fps and its really smooth!
TTP: Image Quality is shit, 60 fps is the bees knees, my eyes got burnt out.

Depending on which camp you fall into, it should be fine. I would suggest that if you want the best image quality, you should wait for the PC version. I cannot even imagine the HUGE maps running smoothly at 60FPS... and trust me, the maps are fucking enormous. So much stuff to do... Dear Lord!!

Zzoram

brandonh83 said:

I traded in all my 360 games and I don't want to buy any more. I don't trust my out-of-warranty system and don't want to buy a replacement due to being locked in by a game collection. It's a shame really, but I've basically abandonned my 360 and I'm considering packing it up until an exclusive comes out that I have to rent. My TV only has 1 component input and now that NSMB.Wii is out, I might unpack my Wii and hook it up through component cables.

Zzoram

brandonh83 said:
Only thing I have a problem with is... no flags/flag-collection music jingle! That was the best thing about Assassin's Creed! :lol

Flags are back? How many this time? Is there a better indication of how to find them, and is there a purpose to them now?

Zzoram said:
Flags are back? How many this time? Is there a better indication of how to find them, and is there a purpose to them now?

Absolutely not. Flags are gone for good... they are gone with the dark ages (Dear Lord, AC2 has me speaking its lingo :lol )

There are other collectibles... Though I think it is common knowledge by now, i'm spoilering it in case you want to know about the collectible in this game...
Its feathers
... Since I havent gotten them all, I dont know if they unlock something or not... but I do know that they add to your city's value. :D

Zzoram said:

No flags, just saying I miss that cool little jingle that played when you collected them in the first game. Oh well I guess the first one has to have SOMETHING better. :lol

FrankT

brandonh83 said:

dark: I agree, it feels more naturally included. I've noticed that here in the last 10 minutes or so I've been playing.

Good to hear. Will be picking up the 360 version in the next week or so.

Edit: Please tell me there is little to no tearing?

Ah I see they were actually smart enough to put AC up on Game on Demand this week.

brandonh83 said:
Okay so the information about the characters and landmarks is extremely well done and interesting. This is one of the very few games that, when given the option to read a bunch of text, I do so willingly.

And one more time, this game is beau-ti-ful. I can't get over how sharp it is. There may be a bit much bloom lighting, but that's the only thing that has really stuck out to me. And it's not nearly as bad as it is in other games. More of an observation rather than a complaint.

edit: sadly there is tearing, but in my experience so far it's been very, very minimal.

Suppose I can live with that then.

Okay so the information about the characters and landmarks is extremely well done and interesting. This is one of the very few games that, when given the option to read a bunch of text, I do so willingly.

And one more time, this game is beau-ti-ful. I can't get over how sharp it is. There may be a bit much bloom lighting, but that's the only thing that has really stuck out to me. And it's not nearly as bad as it is in other games. More of an observation rather than a complaint.

edit: sadly there is tearing, but in my experience so far it's been very, very minimal.

:lol :lol :lol OH MY GOD

Early dialogue spoiler:

Maria: *something about finding self-expression and how it makes life better*
Maria: You should find an outlet ("outlet" meaning self-expression in this context).
Ezio: I have plenty of outlets.
Maria: I meant besides vaginas.

Hari Seldon

Well I took a plunge and got this over the GoW collection. I'll have it on Thursday from Amazon Prime. I probably should have waited for some reviews but I get an itchy trigger finger when I'm bored at work.

TwIsTeD

just finished the 1st dna sequence.....everything just feels 10x better than the original....that said after 20 mins of actual play the controls came back to me and it feels tighter....and after playing Dragon Age this game does look great (besides the clipping which is allover the 360 version)

this is a definite pick-up but with MW2 and LFD2 out I cant find the time for this until the multiplayer dies down in the other 2 games, but at least ACII aint going nowhere anytime soon

BigFwoosh

brandonh83 said:
Only thing I have a problem with is... no flags/flag-collection music jingle! That was the best thing about Assassin's Creed! :lol
That made me sad when I played last night =(

Even though I have yet to kill anyone, I can already tell AC2 is going to be fuck awesome.

jett

D-Member
Yeah the soundtrack is spectacular, the order of the tracks is kind of blah though, doesn't flow at all, but oh well.

I think I'll end up buying the PS3 version later this week whenever it hits my stores. In march or whatever I'll get the PC port if I like the game *that* much. :p

Top Bottom