• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

Zeliard

Come on Gamefly.

Step it up, son. You've already shipped out New 2D Mario today, now do me proud and send this one on over as well.

this game is sick. been playing nonstop all weekend, im actually not too happy im at work right now & after work i gotta help a friend move. no bueno i need to finish dis game!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Gamefly just shipped Assassin's Creed II, oh boy oh boy oh boy.

JdFoX187

Banned
Gamestop called and let me know they're having a midnight launch tonight. I have my collector's edition paid off, but I don't know if I want to go in that late since I have work early :(

Tomorrow going to be a great day with Assassin's Creed II, New Super Mario Bros. coming in, Left 4 Dead 2 and Star Trek Blu-Ray. Good god I'm not going to have enough time.

Solo

JdFoX187 said:
but I don't know if I want to go in that late since I have work early :(

No need to. They'll hold it for 48 hours. Ive never gone to a midnight launch, and I never will.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Question... when you first reach Venice, in the middle of the town slightly to the left, there is a viewpoint that I cannot reach. Any ideas? It's a readily accessible mini building/tower on a rooftop, but I can't seem to make the jump onto the ledge above me. Any help would be much appreciated.

ultron87

^ I can't help you (as I don't have it yet) but I am thrilled to know the game still has viewpoints. That was the one tedious collectathon part of the first game I really liked.

Ranger X

Eggo said:
Question... when you first reach Venice, in the middle of the town slightly to the left, there is a viewpoint that I cannot reach. Any ideas? It's a readily accessible mini building/tower on a rooftop, but I can't seem to make the jump onto the ledge above me. Any help would be much appreciated.

yeah I think I encountered one you cannot reach the top of it until you have the climb leap move. It's very rare but possible. You shall learn the climb leap very soon between.

Filldough

So happy this comes out tomorrow. Been trying to avoid buying games to play to fill the time between this and Ratchet. Forgot L4D2 is out tomorrow... guess its good I just got my 360 back from my neighbor. Why does the game industry insist on making the end of every year so jam packed? I guess it does give me a chance to lead a normal life for like... 3 months a year haha.

MMaRsu

Banned
I hate you all for getting it so soon :(. Does anybody know when Gamehubs will send out their versions? Did the UPS thing, got Dragon Age coming in as well in the same package :D.

-edit-

YESSSSSS Gamehubs is sending their copies out tomorrow! Fucking sweet.. three day delivery means I should have it on Friday, as well as Dragons Age. FUCK YESSSSSS. Plus I got sunday, monday and tuesday off. FUCKING SWEEEEEEEEEEEET

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Ranger X said:
yeah I think I encountered one you cannot reach the top of it until you have the climb leap move. It's very rare but possible. You shall learn the climb leap very soon between.

Thanks, I just got it. I hate finding puzzles I can't solve which had no solution at the time.

Updated impressions:

When Ubisoft said they had learnt from the mistakes in AC1 and were fixing them in AC2, they werent kiddings. Mission variety is immense, the ridiculous investigations are gone, and the ones which still remain are presented in such a way that they make sense in context. The game is leaps and bounds better in keeping you sucked in... I keep thinking 'one more mission' all the time... been playing this non-stop.

Also... the game world is MASSIVE. Mind bogglingly massive. I could be unlocking areas and finishing the small side missions all this month basically. :lol

Unless the story goes crazy at the end, this is an absolutely amazing game. I might be high on this game mostly because I had low expectations... but this has blown me away and truly won me over. Dont miss this because of any misgivings about AC1.

iamcool388 said:
Updated impressions:

When Ubisoft said they had learnt from the mistakes in AC1 and were fixing them in AC2, they werent kiddings. Mission variety is immense, the ridiculous investigations are gone, and the ones which still remain are presented in such a way that they make sense in context. The game is leaps and bounds better in keeping you sucked in... I keep thinking 'one more mission' all the time... been playing this non-stop.

Also... the game world is MASSIVE. Mind bogglingly massive. I could be unlocking areas and finishing the small side missions all this month basically. :lol

SO happy to hear this! Assassin's Creed 1 was my 2007 GOTY so I'm pumped to hear this.

Square Triangle said:
SO happy to hear this! Assassin's Creed 1 was my 2007 GOTY so I'm pumped to hear this.

I liked it AC1 too, just like I enjoyed Resistance 2! I dont bring this up too often cuz GAF will ridicule me no end. :lol

Is it fun to just fuck around this time? It was for a bit in the first one, but I be very happy if it you can spend an hour doing nothing but stealth killing randoms and exploring and have a good time doing so.

Terrordactyl said:
Is it fun to just fuck around this time? It was for a bit in the first one, but I be very happy if it you can spend an hour doing nothing but stealth killing randoms and exploring and have a good time doing so.

Yeah... tons to explore, the feathers and treasure chests are all over, so if you have a collection bug, you can pretty much go crazy. Getting all the viewpoints is also a good way to pass the time. There are 66 of them, so you wont be running out of them too soon. The main story will definitely make you want to synchronize a good number of them, but there will be some left which you can go back and check out.

There are also a number of side missions (assassination, races, beat up someone, courier etc etc) which you can do for money, you can unlock tombs, you can search for codex, buy everything there is in the shops and display it proudly in your villa... you get the picture, the list of things to do is endless.

The bolded part might be difficult to do though... everytime you kill a civilian (happens a lot to me, sometimes i'm moving fast and the lock-on buttons gets on a civilian instead of the target), you get a message saying "Ezio didnt kill civilians."

Unlike Altair, this time its believable that he didnt.

ultron87

iamcool388 said:
The bolded part might be difficult to do though... everytime you kill a civilian (happens a lot to me, sometimes i'm moving fast and the lock-on buttons gets on a civilian instead of the target), you get a message saying "Ezio didnt kill civilians."

Unlike Altair, this time its believable that he didnt.

Is it an auto-Game Over when you drop a civilian? Or do you just love some health like in the last game?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
iamcool388 said:
Updated impressions:

Unless the story goes crazy at the end, this is an absolutely amazing game. I might be high on this game mostly because I had low expectations... but this has blown me away and truly won me over. Dont miss this because of any misgivings about AC1.

Stop it. Need Tuesday to come NOW! :(

How's the story progression and just the plot in general? I absolutely LOVED AC1's story despite some of its setbacks; can't wait to see how it develops in ACII.

Ranger X

ultron87 said:
Is it an auto-Game Over when you drop a civilian? Or do you just love some health like in the last game?

If you kill 3 civilians in a short amount of time you're desynchronised. Otherwise it's ok.

Domino Theory said:
Stop it. Need Tuesday to come NOW! :(

How's the story progression and just the plot in general? I absolutely LOVED AC1's story despite some of its setbacks; can't wait to see how it develops in ACII.

The Desmond arc is handled better. Though you still dont know whats going on (like the first game), the time you do get to play as him is better organized, so you have a set goal and you always know what you are supposed to do... so you dont waste your time around walking like a clueless zombie.

The Ezio main story is handled MUCH better than Altair's... at least according to me. This time everything you do is for a reason... In the original you just ended up being a servant to Al-Mualim (or whatever the name of the leader was)... you did things because he told you to. In this game, its more about you growing up and taking responsibility... you do things because YOUR character wants to do them, not because someone else ordered you to.

The cast of characters is also excellent... lots of people I like already. Each character also has a small biography (some even have videos) in the database, so you can check them out. Half the time I dont even know if they are real historical figures or not... i'll check it out after I am done with the game.

Another feature I forgot to mention earlier on when I was listing the amount of content in the game is finding and decoding glyphs... In vague terms, that leads you to a greater understanding of what is going on in the greater picture in terms of present day. Good stuff... decoding them is a lot of fun.

Fuck, I sound like a Ubisoft viral marketer. :lol

GameGamer

Solo said:
Ive never gone to a midnight launch, and I never will.

28rywih.jpg

Guiberu

Is anyone looking into
what the code hidden in the glyph puzzle pictures says? theres huge chunks of binary and other code invisible until you highlight specific areas....

Guiberu said:
Is anyone looking into
what the code hidden in the glyph puzzle pictures says? theres huge chunks of binary and other code invisible until you highlight specific areas....

Yeah... I noticed it on my third. For example, in one of the puzzles, you are looking at pictures...
Look at Buddha's Face... or Top left of the military formation... or bottom right of the picture of 5-6 soldiers getting ready to attack.

Shit is freaky... I am sure they are some sort of code, but how do I get back to viewing it... cuz once its gone, you unlock the video, and... thats it. Unless I note it down...?

Also, are you finding it a little annoying going back to the Villa after every 4 20min chunk to take out the money from the chest... cuz otherwise you will miss the next payment? I got so much stuff... I should really start buying some paintings and weapons.

The only thing I havent bought at ALL are clothes from the tailor. It just seems a little... pointless? Do you become automatically incognito when you buy and wear those clothes?

P.S. I've upgraded every single shop and renovated everything I can in my villa. :D

Terrordactyl said:

God I loved fucking around in the first.

Best was to just run into a small regiment and wreck their shit.

Or tackling guards off of roofs. Then you hear the crowd scream a second later. So awesome :lol

Let me dust off this pic here...

Got this by standing in one spot and countering every sorry son of a bitch who took a shot at me.

I'm going to love this game no matter what.

RS4-

I took a huge shit on AC1 but I'm actually enjoying AC2...when I'm not doing all the side stuff like races, assassinations and what not.

Been focusing on the story and things related to it instead like the
Codex, Altair armor and those red eye puzzles

Aesius

Can I still pre-order this at Gamestop? I'm gonna trade in COD4 and Fallout 3 and get this for 19.99.

I want the bonus content.....

Grimm Fandango said:
God I loved fucking around in the first.

Best was to just run into a small regiment and wreck their shit.

Or tackling guards off of roofs. Then you hear the crowd scream a second later. So awesome :lol

Let me dust off this pic here...

Got this by standing in one spot and countering every sorry son of a bitch who took a shot at me.
http://i33.tinypic.com/242znh0.jpg[IMG]
[/URL]
I'm going to love this game no matter what.[/QUOTE]

LMAO so awesome, despite the flaws I loved the first AC.

Costanza said:
That's nothing to worry about. Just means it's going out today with overnight delivery.
It was on "Shipping Soon" yesterday too though. Same thing happened with Uncharted 2 and was still stuck there the day after release day, they had to cancel the order and make a new one.

Costanza

Banned
polyh3dron said:
It was on "Shipping Soon" yesterday too though. Same thing happened with Uncharted 2 and was still stuck there the day after release day, they had to cancel the order and make a new one.
Huh, weird. I've had release date orders not update as shipped until 4 AM and still arrive on time.

JambiBum

As far as the splinter cell demo goes I just got off the phone with my buddy who is a GS store manager. He said they got something in with AC that has to do with splinter cell but he's on his break right now so when he gets back to the store he is going to call me and let me know what it is. As soon as I know I'll update here.

Holy shit, not much longer until midnight. Went over early and traded in KZ2 and SSBB to get the game for 20 bucks. What a deal. Tonight can't some soon enough. Anyone else going to *lose* themselves in this one tonight? No question AC2 is the redeemer; brown and tan assassin garb please!

DrBo42

:lol Like a previous poster said, the Splinter Cell Conviction exclusive downloads are RINGTONES and a WALLPAPER. Nothing to see here folks, pack it up.

Top Bottom