• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed II - The |OT|

OmonRa

Loudninja said:
So does AC2 have the same repetitive dialogue as AC1?

There are many more voices and many more lines. Will you hear the same thing more than once? Yes. But nowhere near like the first game.

Loudninja

OmonRa said:
There are many more voices and many more lines. Will you hear the same thing more than once? Yes. But nowhere near like the first game.
Very nice another one of my issues in fixed in AC2 :D

k0ji-wd

GODDAMNIT my 360 just RROD last night. . .with L4D2, AC2 and now the Conviction demo coming out this week no less, might just have to get AC2 on PS3 to tide me over for the time being. . .fuck.

Anyone know if the Conviction demo is tied exclusively to the 360 version?

S1kkZ

k0ji-wd said:
GODDAMNIT my 360 just RROD last night. . .with L4D2, AC2 and now the Conviction demo coming out this week no less, might just have to get AC2 on PS3 to tide me over for the time being. . .fuck.

Anyone know if the Conviction demo is tied exclusively to the 360 version?
conviction is 360 exclusive, so: yes.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What the fuck are you all talking about with this SC:C demo thing? :lol

FrankT

That would be awesome if they did in fact pack that in with the game. HHG isn't the best of sources though, and you would think Ubi would have mentioned such promotion before today.

kaskade

Jtyettis said:
That would be awesome if they did in fact pack that in with the game. HHG isn't the best of sources though, and you would think Ubi would have mentioned such promotion before today.
Yeah, I'm still not believing it.

FrankT

Thing is from that card it looks like one of those if you buy this game you will be able to download the SCC demo first kind of thing if anything. Not instant demo access this week.

Ranger X

DrBo42 said:
Progression question for the people who have completed the game. How far am I from the end?
I'm competing to get the golden mask right now at the Carnevale.

Also, does the Splinter Cell Conviction demo go live Tuesday? Do we know?

I'd say you're around 80% complete story wise.

I really need to know if the Splinter Cell: Conviction demo is legit. I've got the PS3 Collector's edition nearly paid off and would be willing to downgrade to the standard 360 version just to get the demo!!

kaskade

Papercuts said:
Didn't someone post here saying it had one? I guess I could look on the last page or so for it.

Yeah, this.
Very cool. I guess the site isn't up yet though since it just brings me to the SC main page. Weird how it's all the same code though.

FrankT

Oh it actually has the video of it below on the site. I didn't notice that the first time. I'm not sure he could hack up something like that so it could be legit, but again it simply looks like a card to get the demo first and I imagine it's not hitting Live this week as that would be pretty big news already.

Papercuts said:
Didn't someone post here saying it had one? I guess I could look on the last page or so for it.

Yeah, this.

Oh nvm, so it is actually legit then. Cool.

Being that it isn't a standard MS code it sounds like you will put in the code through the game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ThePeacemaker02 said:
Very cool. I guess the site isn't up yet though since it just brings me to the SC main page. Weird how it's all the same code though.

I think Ubi also did that in PoP for the Altair costume, just a universal code everyone could use.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Thought this was funny/awesome:

Advertising everywhere for this game, which is awesome to see. Is this the result of the Sony deal they signed early this year?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y178/mdonatelli/AC2ad.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
The AC1 advertising was just as crazy.

k0ji-wd

S1kkZ said:
conviction is 360 exclusive, so: yes.

Shit, i didn't even realise it's an 360 exclusive. . .might wait until Tuesday to see if this conviction demo thing pans out, don't want to rush out and buy the PS3 version otherwise, it's not like I'm not going to replace the 360 anyway :(

Dead said:
So Gamestop is doing a midnight release for this (and lf3)

will this be Monday night or tuesday night?

Well if there is a Midnight launch..and it comes out on Tuesday. I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that Monday night would be the night. That wasn't a serious question I hope.

Dead

well not really...yet
Square Triangle said:
Well if there is a Midnight launch..and it comes out on Tuesday. I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that Monday night would be the night. That wasn't a serious question I hope.
I just wasnt sure if the game was shipping tuesday or you know...in stores Tuesday

timkunedo

I may actually attend the midnight launch here in my city. I usually wouldn't even consider it, but i'm so hyped and i just happen to be off work ALL WEEK!! :D

~Kinggi~

Banned
Im trying to hurry up and finish Assassins Creed 1 in time for Tuesday. Im at Memory Block 5.

God damn the game does get repetitive.

But i really only think thats cause they made the game so huge. Its definitely one of the larger adventure games of its type. If they cut out a whole section of the game i wouldnt mind it as much.

Im skeptical though to see if AC 2 environments can match AC 1. The medieval setting is amazing.

DrBo42

Now that I look at the card that came with my copy of AC2 I realize it says nothing about a demo. It says "Free exclusive Splinter Cell Conviction Download" That probably means it's an exclusive bit of media or a shitty screensaver. It's definitely not a demo because according to the instructions you download it from their site.

DrBo42 said:
Now that I look at the card that came with my copy of AC2 I realize it says nothing about a demo. It says "Free exclusive Splinter Cell Conviction Download" That probably means it's an exclusive bit of media or a shitty screensaver. It's definitely not a demo because according to the instructions you download it from their site.
=/ That's a disappointment.

Daigoro

the commercials for this game are really great.

makes me want the game. i still havent played the first, been meaning to get the GH version for a while now.

Costanza

Banned
DrBo42 said:
awww

DrBo42

:lol :lol :lol :lol At the ending.
Does everything need to turn into an environment disaster/warning for us now?

Boogie9IGN

Eeeeeeeeeee, I got my Gamestop text today telling me it's ready for sale at 1201 tomorrow and I can show up at 10PM to pay off the remainder, wtf :lol

Manus

Boogie9IGN said:
Eeeeeeeeeee, I got my Gamestop text today telling me it's ready for sale at 1201 tomorrow and I can show up at 10PM to pay off the remainder, wtf :lol

Got the same thing, though I'm not even going to the midnight release. Ugh, so much gaming this week.

ZAnimus

It completely sucks that the game's PAL release is only on Friday. I'd kill to be able to play it tomorrow already.

Shurs

ZAnimus said:
It completely sucks that the game's PAL release is only on Friday. I'd kill to be able to play it tomorrow already.

Spoken like a true assassin. You are ready, my son.

RainbowByte

Neo Member
DrBo42 said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol At the ending.
you beat it already?, how many hours total did it take you?, and how much time did you put into side missions/collection items/villa upgrades/etc?
yes the minerva part makes a lot of people go lolwut :lol

OmonRa

RainbowByte said:
you beat it already?, how many hours total did it take you?, and how much time did you put into side missions/collection items/villa upgrades/etc?

Even Desmond

DrBo42

RainbowByte said:

Total playtime: 20 hours, 45 minutes.
Sync: 61.6%
Fight statistics:
7 Deaths
Favorite Weapon - Hidden Blade
Enemies Killed - 523
Enemies Assassinated with the Hidden Blade(s) - 206
Air Assassinations - 52
Double Air Assassinations - 8
Disarms - 60 (I loved this feature :lol)

By the end I only had 3 codex pages missing, and I already collected Altair's armor more than an hour before. As for side missions, I never really touched the races or assassination contracts. I mostly went for the important collectibles.

PROS:
-Beautiful cities that actually feel LIVED in.
-Story is much improved, much more character driven.
-Combat is engaging, different guard types add some needed depth/difficulty. Disarms are awesome. Although I wish there were more finisher animations, there's quite a few we've seen from AC1.
-Faster climbing.
-Multiple "fast-travel" locations in each city.
-Worthwhile collectibles!
-More activities to fill your time.
-No investigations.
-Pacing is much better.
-Notoriety system makes much more sense. Adds needed consequences for your actions.
-Blending is much improved. No more looking like a priest armed to the teeth bowing your head. Although the more ornate Ezio's armor becomes, the more he sticks out to me in a crowd. You'd think there'd be some repercussions for looking like such a pimp when you're trying to blend in with the common folks.
-Database system is awesome. Learning about the famous structures across Italy was very interesting. Voiced briefings about important characters/targets is a welcomed addition.
-Monetary system is a nice addition. Allowing the player to upgrade the villa or customize their character with weapons and armor is a great addition.

CONS:
"Shakey negative" -Assassinations are more geared towards action. I found it near impossible to take out even a quarter of my targets in a stealthy approach. Perhaps I just need more practice, a second playthrough will be needed to come to a firm conclusion.
-Model detail has been lost since the original.
-Hired groups are an answer-all crutch that can possibly make the player lazy and not try other distraction approaches.
-Story takes turn at the end that I wish it didn't.

Wat?:
-DNA sequence in the menu looks like it was designed to give the player a chance to replay memories, but alas does not. Serves 0 purpose.
-Rome is listed in the map legend, but you can't visit it. Was it to be an explorable city and eventually get cut?
-Game doesn't inform you of advanced techniques that can be learned via the practice area in Monteriggioni. I just found out you can throw sand when unarmed, and you can throw multiple knives by holding the armed button in combat. Wish I knew that in my playthrough. Check that area often!

Overall I really enjoyed it. The cities are beautiful, the story is much more engaging, and I never found myself doing to same thing an intolerable amount of times. For fans of the first, it's a sure buy. For people that hated the first, give AC2 an honest try, I'm confident you'll have a good time.

RainbowByte

Neo Member
DrBo42 said:
Wat?:
-DNA sequence in the menu looks like it was designed to give the player a chance to replay memories, but alas does not. Serves 0 purpose.
Yes this had to be cut, it could come back in the future.
There was also a constraint system which was like mini achievements for each mission to encourage replay and 'full memory sync on a mission' but was not required (e.g. take no damage, finish a mission under a time limit, use only a certain weapon, etc) but like all games, things change due to your schedule.

DrBo42 said:
-Rome is listed in the map legend, but you can't visit it. Was it to be an explorable city and eventually get cut?
Some things in AC2 just cry out for DLC, dont you think?...

DrBo42

RainbowByte said:
Yes this had to be cut, it could come back in the future.
There was also a constraint system which was like mini achievements for each mission to encourage replay and 'full memory sync on a mission' but was not required (e.g. take no damage, finish a mission under a time limit, use only a certain weapon, etc) but like all games, things change due to your schedule.

Some things in AC2 just cry out for DLC, dont you think?...
Oh NO you di' 'nt! Anyone who hasn't completed the game should NOT read this.
That brief look we had at Rome towards the end was gorgeous, and such a tease. It would be amazing if a fleshed out version comes to light in the future. I really hope so.

Fady K said:
...this makes me sad :(

I was hoping this one would end on a high note, plot-wise.
It's not BAD. I should probably rephrase what I said. It just takes a turn that I wish it didn't. I can't really explain without spoiling. If and when you finish the game I'd like to discuss it.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
DrBo42 said:

My two major concerns with AC1 one were the information-missions you had to complete, but were always the same and the screen-tearing and framerate. Have those been addressed in AC2?

Miburou

I hate screen tearing, even like the one that was in Uncharted 1.

I can buy the PS3 version today, or wait a couple of days and get the 360 for a bit more. But if both suffer from noticeable screen tearing (like that shown in the trailers), then I'll just have to wait for the PC version.

I'd like a definitive answer, since some people in this thread say tearing is almost unnoticeable and other say it has tearing through the ass (even on the 360).

Blimblim

The Inside Track
neorej said:
My two major concerns with AC1 one were the information-missions you had to complete, but were always the same and the screen-tearing and framerate. Have those been addressed in AC2?
Point 1: Yes.
Point 2: On the 360 tearing is minimal. PS3 tears a bit more from what I heard.

Top Bottom